Are you an addict? [UPDATE:] April 11, 2014comments powered by Disqus
Posted on Friday, March 14 2014 @ 14:42:53 PST
This member blog post was promoted to the GameRevolution homepage.~I went to the doctor and complained of a pain in my wrist. He then asked me several questions about my pain, where is it exactly, describe the pain, is it constant, throbbing, burning, etc., is there tenderness to the touch, and does it hurt when you move it? I answered as best I could, and he diagnosed me with a strain of my wrist tendon, he prescribed sodium naproxen, instructed me to put ice on it, and to not make repetitive motions. I then informed him I was a videogame player to which he replied: "Well, there you go."
No, I'm not talking about being a drug, tobacco, or alcohol addict, but of a more loose definition of addict that has taken shape in the past few decades. Behavioral addiction, or being a behavioral addict (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavioral_addiction) is when a person continues to do a behavior even after that person realize it’s bad for them. Things like gambling, sex, work, porn, shopping, or any other behavior that becomes a compulsion have been called addictions including video games. So I ask again are you an addict?
Here is a list of questions (all are yes or no answers) to help you figure out if you’re addicted to video games:
1) Have you ever developed pain in your hands or joints due to playing a video game too long? If you answered yes, did you continue to play after the pain developed?
2) Have you ever run short of money because you have spent more than you could afford on a video game, a console, or video game related item/accessory? If you answered "no," have you ever done without something so you could afford a video game, a console, or video game related item/accessory?
3) Have you ever forgotten an appointment or another important event because you lost track of time playing video games? If you answered "yes," has this happened more than once?
4) Has anyone ever accused you of caring more about what is going on in a video game than in real life? If you answered yes, do you feel this is true?
5) Have you ever been fired from a job or been disciplined at work or school because of video games?
6) Have you ever lost friends or had a relationship fail because you didn’t have time for a social life outside of video games?
7) Has anyone ever told you that you play video games too much? If you answered "yes," has this happen more than once?
8) If you were unable to play video games for a period of time, would this make you feel anxiety? If you answered "no," does the thought of going a long time without playing video games make you feel anxious?
9) Have you ever missed a day of work or class so you could play a video games or go to a video game related event, such as a midnight release?
10) Have you ever ignored the need to use the bathroom, while playing a video game, until the need became painful? If you answered "yes," have ever not made it to the bathroom? If you answered "no," do you wear adult diapers while you play video games?
If you answered "yes" to all these questions, seek immediate professional help you are a video game junkie! If you answered "no" to all these questions, either you are a liar or you are not a gamer at all.
Now repeat after me: “Hi, my name is (Your first name or handle, i.e. tinymhg) and I'm a video game addict.
The opinions expressed here does not necessarily reflect the views of Game Revolution, but we believe it's worthy of being featured on our site. This article, posted originally on February 5, 2014, has been lightly edited for grammar and image inclusion. You can find more Vox Pop articles here. ~Ed. Nick Tan
Tom Clancy's The Division
Underground trailer. (1:58)
Street Fighter V
Balrog video. (1:21)
LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Han And Chewie Vignette. (0:38)
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Eyes of Heaven
JoJo\'s Bizarre Adventure Eyes of Heaven launch trailer. (2:30)
Pharaonic PS4 launch trailer. (1:25)
|More On GameRevolution|