==Shenmue Part 1: Yokosuka Guide v5.0==
By Olly Dean, at email@example.com
Check out my website at http://www.shenmuefansite.com
Shenmue is (c) 1999, 2000 by Sega Enterprises Ltd.
This document (c) 2000 Oliver Dean
"This is the best text only walkthrough because it covers even
the Passport Disc (disc 4) and has great explanations" - Mr. Star
THIS DOCUMENT MAY BE USED FOR FREE ON THE INTERNET AS LONG AS THE USER HAS WRITTEN
(EMAILED) PERMISSION FROM THE AUTHOR (firstname.lastname@example.org). IF YOU ARE FOUND TO
BE IN VIOLATION OF THESE GUIDELINES, LEGAL ACTION WILL BE TAKEN.
(v) Changes to US version
2.(i) Disc 1
(ii) Disc 2
(iii) Disc 3
(iv) Shenmue Passport
(v) Moves List, New Moves, and Training
(vi) Free Battle and QTE
(viii) 'The Bad Ending'
(x) The Kitten
(xi) The Disc 3 Bug
(ii) Contact Me
(iii) Revision Guide
Shenmue is a stunning new adventure game from Sega's AM2 department, in fact it
has created a whole new genre, the FREE (Full Reactive Eyes Entertainment) game.
It is created by Yu Suzuki, the creator of Virtua Fighter and Outrun. His
influence is prominent in it, as his touches include a Saturn on the TV, various
Virtua Fighter references, and an arcade full of his older games.For more
information, you can check out my website at http://www.shenmuefansite.com,
or the official website at http://www.shenmue.com. It was released in Japan on
29th December 1999 and was due to be released in the USA on 14th November 2000.
It made that date and is now due to be released in Europe on 1st December 2000.
The story begins as Ryo witnesses a mysterious ninja/Chinese Mafia boss called
Lan Di kill his father and steal a strange, mystical mirror called the Dragon
Mirror. Somewhere there is a twin for the Dragon Mirror called the Pheonix Mirror.
Ryo must find the Phoenix Mirror, retrieve the Dragon Mirror, avenge his father,
and discover why his father was killed over them. He must also get to Hong Kong
where he will meet Ling Sha Hua who he is telepathically connected with and
constantly dreams about.
That is my interpretation of the story but if you want something more accurate here
is the story taken from the US versions instruction manual:
"The year is 1986, the place Yokosuka, Japan. The normally tranquil day-to-day
life of Ryo Hazuki is suddenly and irrecoverably shattered by uninvited visitors.
A man wearing dark green Chinese clothes appears at the Hazuki family home with
two black-suited thugs. This man uses a powerful style of martial arts, the likes
of which Ryo has never before seen, to engage his father Iwao in a fierce battle.
Ryo attempts to intervene and help his father, but the obvious disparity in power
is too much. Ryo is beaten down and taken hostage as the man questions Iwao,
"Where is the mirror?"
Having no other recourse, Iwao reluctantly tells him. Once the mysterious object
is in the man's possession, he again attacks Iwao.
"Do you remember Zhao Sun Ming..."
From these words Ryo learns of a shocking truth from the past. His father was
responsible for killing someone long ago.
And then, Iwao is knocked down in defeat.
Ryo pulls his father close and feels him take his last breath.
The man with the ominous embroidery of a glittering dragon on his back, the man
What of the stolen mirror?
Who is this Lan Di?
Vowing to seek revenge, Ryo embarks on a journey to unravel the mystery
surrounding his father's death and deliver justice to the man responsible."
There you have it, straight from Sega's mouth.
+ Pad - Moves Ryo:
UP - Walk Foward
LEFT - 90 deg Turn Left
DOWN - 180 deg Turn
RIGHT - 90 deg Turn Right
UP and LEFT or RIGHT - Smaller turns while going forward
LEFT TRIGGER - Hold When Walking to Run or Jog.
RIGHT TRIGGER - Hold to go into 1st Person View.
START BUTTON - Help Menu
A BUTTON - Action/Kick in Free Battle
B BUTTON - Cancel/Grab in Free Battle
X BUTTON - View Notebook/Punch in Free Battle
Y BUTTON - Inventory and Items/Crouch in Free Battle
Q. When was Shenmue released?
A. It was released on Dreamcast in Japan on 29th December 1999, but if it was
preordered you got it on Xmas Eve.
Q. How big is the game?
A. Three game discs and the Shenmue Passport disc.
Q. Shenmue Passport?
A. Here you can upload high scores onto the internet, access Shenmue.com, and
watch all the cut-scenes and face demos from E3.
Q. Where can I get an import copy?
A. For the US use http://www.tronixweb.com, or for the UK I use
Q. Where can I get a US copy?
A. Any good games store in the US should stock it, and most online stores will
as well. Outside the US, most importers should have it.
Q. When is the European PAL version released?
A. 1st December 2000
Q. What is in the Limited Edition?
A. The game, Passport, a slip-case, and a disappointing CD of music from the
game's various bars and clubs.
(v) CHANGES TO THE US VERSION
Not much has changed in the US version apart from some names and obviously the
language. The game is now dubbed into English. I personally think it should have
been subtitled as it doesn't seem as "Japanese" in English. The voice acting
isn't as 'natural' as the Japanese speech but is a very high standard compared
to most games. Name plates and shop signs appear in English when you look at
There are two major name changes: Souryu is now Lan Di, and Shenhua Rei is now
Ling Sha Hua.
2.(i) DISC 1 WALKTHROUGH
This is mostly a step-by-step guide to the game, so I wouldn't recommend
following it straight through, so take some time to explore the huge
environments, otherwise you'll finish the game in under 10 hours and you would
have wasted a fair bit of money.
NOTE: Whenever something important happens, it will be written down in your
notebook, causing a small icon to appear next to the clock. To get rid of it,
press X followed by B. If you're playing an English language version be sure
to read any notes as they are valuable clues about the next step you should
NOTE: If the day ends, your watch alarm will go off and you will automatically
be home. Should this happen, just go to bed and pick up where you left off the
NOTE: In the English versions use the street maps that are mounted on walls to
find places. They are very helpful.
Now turn on your Dreamcast, sit back, and watch the intro movies...
- Look through every drawer and cupboard in your room and take anything you can,
especially the tape player and 'Shenmue' and 'Shenhua' tapes.
- Leave the room and get your allowance with Â¥15,000 in it from Ine-san.
- Now explore every room in the house and pick up everything you can. If you
want to, in the TV room, get the Saturn out of the cupboard underneath the TV.
In Fukuhara's room and the corridor behind your father's room are little
scrolls, that if you inspect, will give you new moves. Also, in your father's
room in a box is a mysterious key which will be essential in disc 2. Don't
forget to read Iwao's letter which proves he knew Lan Di was coming.
- Go into the kitchen and look at the table for a flashback about your father.
- Leave the house and turn left to the big tree in the garden for another
- Enter the dojo and talk to Fuk-san who is training.
- Look at the calligraphy scroll on the left wall for a flashback of Ryo as a
child when he's been fighting a friend.
- After the flashback try and take down the scroll so that Ryo says "I can't
reach it". Go to the stool to the right of the scroll and pick it up. Ryo will
use it to reach an old Chinese scroll hidden behind the calligraphy.
- Leave through the front gate into Yamanose and talk to the man and woman outside
the first house on the right. They will tell you to talk to the women who are
always gossiping outside the phone box in Sakuragaoka.
- Walk down towards a big shrine where a cut-scene will happen with Megumi and a
kitten. When you are given two options choose the left one to feed the kitten.
From now on you can look after the cat if you want. See the kitten section for
- At the phone booth talk to the two women who will tell you to talk to another
woman who knows all about the goings-on in the neighbourhood. She is at the top
of the hill on the left sweeping the ground. She will tell you about an old man,
Yamagishi-san who was nearly run over by a speeding black car on the day of the
- As you approach the Abe Store you will see a cut-scene with an old woman. She
is trying to find the Yamamoto residence but can't because of her bad eyesight.
She will wat in the park whilst you try and find it for her. It is opposite the
road leading to Dobuita and Sakura Park. Look at the nameplate on the doorpost
to see which one. Go to Sakura Park to find the old woman. You will automatically
take her to the door.
- When this finishes go straight past the Abe Store, and carry on a little further
down the road and on the right is a small garden where Yamagishi-san is tending to
his plants. Talk to him and then continue on through the trees to Dobuita.
- Talk to Harasaki-san at the flower shop. She is the girl with a white sweater
and red skirt who is Ryo's sort-of girlfriend.
- About halfway along the street is a burger stand with a dancing man with
dreadlocks. This is Tomo-san, and you need to talk to him next. You may be able
to understand some of his speech as he speaks a strange English-Japanese hybrid
- Talk to the guy in the orange-camouflage top, right opposite Tomo-san. His name
is Kurita-san. and he runs the Kurita Army Surplus Store,
- In the smaller back-street there is a Chinese restaurant called the Ajiichi.
Talk to Tao-san and his wife in here they will tell you about the 3 Blades of
the Chinese: barber, tailor, and chef.
- Near to Game You (the You Arcade) is a barbers shop where you need to talk to
- Go to the barber's shop at the opposite end of the main street and talk to
Liu-san in there. His father was recently discharged from hospital and sits in
a children's play area nearby.
- Go to the children's play area in the side street next to Game You and talk to
Liu-san Senior in the black and white checked shirt. He will tell you about the
Chinese Mafia and how they are based at the docks. Now Ryo has to find some
- Talk to Tomo-san at his cart again. He will tell you that sailors hang out in
- When it opens in the evening go to the Bar Yokosuka in the back street, and
talk to the bartender behind the bar.
- Go to the bar up the street called MJQ Jazz. Talk to the bartender.
- Talk to the men playing pool, and when they ask you a question, select the
left option to bet Â¥1000 on a pool shot. I don't know what happens if you pot it
because I missed.
- In the street is a bar opposite the bike shop, but it is hidden down a flight
of steps. Go down the steps towards it.
- QTE with the drunk thugs. When it is over, go into the Heartbeats bar.
- QTE with the thugs in there. Notice how they insult Ryo's age by calling him
'schoolboy' and giving him milk to drink as Ryo is under the Japanese age at
which teenagers 'come-of-age'. He will tell you about Charlie.
NOTE: On the next clear day after this if you go near to Sakura Park you will
see a cut-scene of Harasaki-san protecting a little boy from two thugs who you
may have fought earlier. You will have to free-battle them. The thin guy isn't
too tough but the big guy can spear you which is quite damaging.
- Talk with the guy fixing his bike opposite Heartbeats in the blue top and
white hair. This is Ono-san.
- Talk to Tomu-san and Kurita-san.
- You can't do anything else today so you can just go home.
- Ine-san says that she wants you home by 11pm tonight.
- Go towards the town to start a quick QTE with a soccer ball. Just press A.
- In the main part of town there is the guy from the Ajiicji at a soda machine.
Select the left option to buy him a drink, and buy him an Orange Fanta or a
- In the same street, talk to the guy outside the thrift store (black apron on).
- Go to the far end of Dobuita right next to the busy main road and talk to the
woman in the tobacco stand. She will tell you about Nagai Industries.
- Go into the previously locked door with Oriental writing on it, a symbol above
it, and a CCTV camera on the wall. This is Nagai Industries.
- Talk to all the men inside. Only the guy hunched over his chair with the material
over his shoulders will be of any help.
- Go and talk to Kurita-san in the orange camouflage opposite Tomo-san again.
- After 7pm when the street lights come on, walk towards Game You.
- After you've followed the thugs into the car park, free-battle with them and
knock them all out to find out about a Tattoo shop.
- Talk to the tough guys in Game You and select their left answer to agree to join
their gang. They will tell you where to get the gang tattoo.
- Go to the apartment block opposite the Bar Yokosuka (Ayamura Heights, I think)
and go to the upstairs room with the poster on it (the tattoo shop).
- The guy in there will tell you to come back the next day.
- Get home before your curfew.
- The next day, go to the tattoo shop when it opens at 2pm.
- As Ryo puts his hand on the door, press A to start a quick QTE with a guy
- Leave the tattoo shop to trigger a cut-scene with Nozomi. Isn't it weird that you
have just lost your father to the Chinese Mafia and she's trying to get you to take
exams to get into college?
- There is nothing else to do today so you can just play games in Game You, get
the collectables from the little machines, or go shopping. If you are after a
challenge, play Darts 7 in Game You. If you get a high score you get a second
game. If you get up to a free third game the owner gives you a toy darts arcade
- The next day you will automatically spar with Fuk-san in the dojo. Beat him.
- Ine-san will give you a letter, but you can't read it because it is in Chinese.
- Go into town and a cut-scene will start in which a little boy has had his
soccer ball stolen by Charlie and some thugs.
- Free battle with the thugs to help the boy get his ball back.
- After the battle, there is a QTE where you must kick the ball in Charlie's face
to make him let the boy go. The boy is Chinese so maybe he can help you read the
- Go and talk to Kurita-san in the orange camouflage again.
- Walk towards Game You to trigger a cut-scene with the boy who's soccer ball
you got just now. He'll tell you about his grandmother Xia-san who can read it.
- Go to the building near to the vending machine where you bought that guy an
Orange Fanta. It has a purple sign. Get the woman inside to read your letter.
It turns out that it's written in reverse Kanji. It says: "Beware those who seek
the mirror. If you ever need help seek the aid of Master Chen." It also gives a
- There is a phone number on the letter (it's recorded in the Notebook). You
need to go to the tobacco kiosk at the end of the street and dial the number on
the phone (it costs Â¥10). When the guy on the phone says the first part of the
password, choose the right option, and then after he says the third part choose
the left one. All he says is "Warehouse 8" before hanging up.
- Talk to the old woman in the kiosk.
- Look at the phone book on the counter so that Ryo can look up the location of the
- Go and talk to Tomo-san again.
- Go just beyond the kiosk to the bus stop and get on the bus when it arrives.
==END OF DISC 1==
(ii) DISC 2 WALKTHROUGH
- As you get off the bus, turn left into the docks.
- Walk forward until you trigger a cut-scene with Goro-san and one of the thugs
attempting to mug a man.
- Beat up the thugs in a QTE.
- Walk in the direction that Goro show you and talk to the girl on the lunch
stand to the right. She will show you the way to warehouse 8.
- Go right towards warehouse 8 and try to walk in. Talk to the guard who stops
- Go behind the dock and watch the cut-scene where Ryo looks up at an open
- Push the metal crate towards the crates under the window by standing next to
it and pressing UP.
- Climb up to the window and climb into it.
- Go around the gantry to the far office and watch the cut-scene. It turns out
that this is the new warehouse 8 - you need to go to the old warehouse 8 in the
Old Warehouse District.
- Climb down and go back around the front. Carry straight ahead along the front
of the dock offices beside the water until you reach Tomo-san. Talk to him and
he will tell you to talk to the girl on the lunch stand again. Go and do as he
- Talk to her again. Go in the direction she tells you.
- Talk to the three fishermen who are fishing in the harbour. One of them is the
guy you saved from being mugged.
- After 7pm to the west of dock 8 you should see a homeless man being thrown out
of a warehouse talk to him and agree to buy him a drink. Buy him a coffee from the
- It will be getting late by now, so if it gets too late and you are sent home,
just come back the next day.
- After 7pm carry on to the Old Warehouse District and look for a security gate
that is open a crack and go through.
- In the cut-scene the phone rings which causes Ryo to knock the flashlight off
the shelf. To prevent any noise that will alert the guard, you must quickly
press RIGHT in a QTE to catch the torch.
*NOW IS THE POINT WHERE YOU NEED TO BE IF YOU WANT TO SEE THE BAD ENDING*
- There is now a Metal Gear Solid style (kind of) espionage sequence. You must
press A to hide behind crates and barrels to avoid the guards finding you. If
they do, you must start again. From your starting point you must go to the
right, all the way to the end, and then up to the last warehouse, which is
also numbered 8.
- In there go up the stairs and look at the whiteboard with the phone number on it.
Go to the open cabinet in the middle and pick up and inspect the plate. Watch the
cut-scene. There you will meet Chen and his son, Gui Zang. Chen will tell you about
the second mirror: the Phoenix Mirror. You'll be sent home automatically afterwards.
- Head towards the town, and you can watch a cut-scene where the kitten has
recovered and is walking around. If you don't see this, I don't think it's
- Go into town and talk to the woman in the antique shop next to the Tomato mart.
She will tell you that her grandfather who runs the shop is on an errand.
- Return home, but on the way you will have to face Gui Zhang in a Free-battle.
Vary your attacks as he blocks very often, and very effectively. After a while,
he will refuse to fight you anymore as Chen has assigned him to be your bodyguard
to make sure Lan Di can't get the Phoenix Mirror when you find it. When the fight
is over, you will see the creepy old man, Chai, who you will see more often later.
- Back home, walk towards the dojo to start a cut-scene with Fuk-san and Ine-san.
Ine-san will tell you that just before Lan Di's visit Iwao left something at an
antiques shop in town.
- After the cut-scene, go into the dojo, and use the rusty key that you got in
your father's room in disc 1 on the long box in the top-right corner from the
entrance to get the katana (Japanese Long Sword).
- Take the katana to the right-hand banner on the wall opposite the entrance and
take the banner off the wall. Then slide the katana into the slit behind.
- Go down into the town, and go to the Tomato mart, and buy a lightbulb for Â¥90.
This isn't essential, but it helps in a few minutes.
- Go into the antiques store where you were earlier, and watch the cut-scene
where you are given the sword handguard that Iwao left there for safekeeping.
The mirror isn't there though.
- Take it home and show Fuk-san, and then when you're inside, show Ine-san who is
in the altar room. It features the Hazuki crest: a snow ring, two stars, and a
- Put it in the hole in the dojo wall next to the katana's hole. This will open
the secret door to the basement.
- Inside, go down the ladder and turn on your torch. Go into the main room and
put the lightbulb in it's socket, then go to the switch by the entrance and turn
the light on. Don't forget to turn off your torch, otherwise the batteries will
- Get everything you can in the room. There should be a little white leaf, a new
move that you can't read because it's in Chinese, and a faded picture.
- On the floor next to the shelf there are scratch marks. If you look at them you
can move the shelf to the left. Behind them, look at the discoloured part of the
wall, but Ryo can't break it.
- Grab the axe near the door and break open the wall to get the Phoenix Mirror.
- Go to Sakura Park and talk to Yamagishi-san who will tell you about Ying and
Yang and how the Phoenix Mirror seems to have both good and evil properties.
- Take the Phoenix mirror to the antique shop where the old man will tell you
how the phoenix and dragon (the two mirror designs) were created as guardians
for the Chinese Emperor.
- Visit the old woman in the China Shop and she will tell you about how the Big
Dipper constellation represents a dragon in China and another represents the
phoenix. The cut-scene hints again at Ryo and Ling Sha Hua's telepathic
- Go to the harbour and at the payphone call Chen on 0468-61-5647 again and answer
with the right option followed by the left one.
- Go to where you first met Chen in warehouse 8. In the middle of the cut-scene,
Chai steals the Phoenix Mirror, and when Gui Zhang shouts at you, you must press
LEFT in a quick QTE.
- You will then be sent home to bed.
- When you get up you will get all your money from your bank account, this should
give you approximately Â¥32,000.
- Go and see Fuk-san in his room, and watch the cut-scene where Ryo tells
Ine-san that he plans to leave for Hong Kong on a vacation, only for Fuk-san to
blab everything and tell her that you are going there to find Lan Di. She refuses
to help you financially in your quest to Hong Kong.
- Go into town and talk to Kurita-san. He will show you where to get information
about flights to Hong Kong. Go to the travel agent where he shows you.
- Go home and see Fuk-san who will give you the money from his piggy bank.
This will give you about Â¥72,000.
- Talk to the waiter from Ajiichi who is at the vending machine near Nagai
Industries. He will tell you how he came to Japan on a ship. It's slower but
- Go back to the travel agent. He'll tell you that they don't do boat tickets, but
he'll reluctantly tell you a budget travel agency who do.
- Go and talk to the guy working at the Funny Bear Hamburger Bar. He'll point you
towards the Asia Travel Co.
- Inside, the girl will show you that you can go by boat for Â¥69,000. Pay for the
ticket and she'll tell you to return in about 3-4 hours.
- Now just kill time until 3-4 hours have passed.
- Go back to the Asia Travel Co. and a man will be behind the counter now. He'll
say that he doesn't know of a woman who works there. Ryo will shout "What kind of
a scam are you running here!?" and the guys friend will attack you. Ryo will
automatically beat them up, leaving the first guy on his own. He'll apologise
and says he'll call you tomorrow.
- Go home to bed.
- The next day Jimmy from Asia Travel Co. will call you and say that you must
meet him at Game You before noon.
- Go to Game You and Chai will jump you from behind. After shouting at you and
saying how it is his dream to work for Lan Di, who will like it if he finds out
what you know about the mirrors. Then he will eat your ticket to Hong Kong which
he has! You will then Free-battle with him. Don't worry if you don't win because
he's literally impossible. When you lose, Fuk-san will come and save you and take
you home to bed.
- The next day talk to Harasaki who will tell you that Chai went into the Asia
Travel Co. after he beat you up.
- Go into the Travel Co. after 10am (whether the sign says closed or not)
and you will have a long chase QTE with Jimmy (it's the same QTE as the
What's Shenmue demo chase). When you catch the guy, disc 2 will finish.
==END OF DISC 2==
(iii) DISC 3 WALKTHROUGH
- Watch the continuation of the cut-scene where Ryo beats up Jimmy. The
terrified kid will offer you a free ticket to the Phillipines but instead
you will get him to tell you where Chai came from. He tells you that if
you want to meet the Mad Angels and Lan Di's Chinese cartel where Chai
came from), the Chi You Men, you'll have to get a job as the Mad Angels
always harrass the new guy at the harbour. To the harbour!!
- Walk towards Harasaki-san and she will start talking to you. She says
that she doesn't want you getting into trouble.
- Go to the docks and ask around about jobs. Walk somewhere between
warehouses 1 and 12 until somewhere between noon and 4pm when Goro (the
guy with the Elvis hair) jumps out on you and offers you his help. Ryo
asks him to help him find a job so he arranges for you to meet him at
noon outside warehouse 1 the next day. Now you have nothing to do for
the rest of the day so you can just kill time until you can go home to
bed. You should go and get used to the docks because you will have to be
here for almost all of the disc.
- When Ryo is asleep he will dream about Ling Sha Hua, who you won't meet
until Shenmue Chapter 2: Hong Kong.
- Be outside warehouse 1 at noon. You can't go inside because the guard
won't let you. Goro will show up with his girlfriend Mai who got you a
job. Be at the Alpha Trading Office before 4pm.
- Go to the Alpha Trading Office to get a job as a forklift operator.
The boss will take you to see Mark Kimbely so that he can train you.
He speaks some English so you can partially understand him.
- Here is what you have to do in Mark's training sessions:
1) Press the + Pad or analogue LEFT or RIGHT.
2) Drive forward (R Trigger).
3) Reverse (L Trigger).
4) Move the forks up and down with A.
- Move the box in front of you into Warehouse 3 as Mark shows you. Put it
down in the white squares.
- Carry on moving the nearby boxes into the same warehouse until the horn
at 5pm. You'll be paid 300Â¥ per crate, but every day you can get a 50Â¥ raise
if you meet or exceed your quota. Go outside and talk to Mark.
- You can't go home until you have finished everything here, so wait until
after 7pm and head back to the office where some of the Mad Angels gang are
attacking the homeless man.
- You now get a QTE in a game of chicken where you have to press the buttons
to avoid the other biker's attacks. Afterwards, go home to bed.
- The next day you should automatically be transported to the docks where
you must participate in a forklift race with 4 other forklift operators.
The course is fairly easy to follow, but should you get lost, press X for
a map. Don't worry about losing - it's just a bit of fun. The annoying
thing is that the opposition will knock you into the wall where you will
stop dead, but you can't push them off course at all.
- Afterwards, Mark will give you a model forklift (numbered depending on
your final position) and your workmap for the day. Take a few minutes to
study the map, as this is your assignment for the day.
- Today you must move the boxes in front of you into warehouse 18. Keep
doing this until noon when you get a 2 hour lunchbreak.
- At the beginning of lunch, you will have to Free-battle two thugs from
the Mad Angels who are about to beat up Mark.
- When you beat them, Mark will tell you about the Mad Angels gang. If you
listen carefully, you can hear him say "Chinese Mafia" in the Japanese
version as they have links to the Chi You Men.
- Play darts or something until 2pm when you go back to work.
- Sometime in the afternoon three Mad Angels will start a fight with you
in warehouse 18. When this happens try a roundhouse kick and knock all 3
down at once. This should get rid of them.
- Continue loading boxes until 5pm when you will collect your pay, which
which will now be 350Â¥ per crate if you met quota.
- There will be a cut-scene outside with Goro. Notice how he tries to run
away to 'take a leak' when Ryo asks him about the Mad Angels.
- Go left to see Gui Zhang and he will teach you a new kick (BACK+A) if you
select the left option.
- After 8pm walk onto the forecourt in front of warehouse 18 where the
homeless guy who you helped earlier will show you a new dodge move
- Go home and Ryo will have a dream about the Phoenix Mirror.
- Finish the forklift race in the morning.
- Look at your workmap to get an idea of where to go. You will have to
take boxes from your starting point to warehouse 3.
- In your lunchbreak, talk to the homeless guy under the steps alongside
the Tomato Mart.
- After lunch, load until the cutscene with the Mad Angels occurs outside
NOTE: IF THIS DOES NOT OCCUR THEN YOU HAVE FALLEN VICTIM TO THE 'DISC 3
BUG'. SEE SECTION 2(xi) TO SEE HOW TO GET OUT OF THE TIME WARP. IGNORE
WHAT YOU ARE TOLD ABOUT HAVING A BROKEN COPY OF THE GAME, HAVING TO START
DISC 3 AGAIN, OR EVEN HAVING TO RESTART THE WHOLE GAME.
- It's a trap!! Free-battle the first 5 thugs, then 4 more jump down and
attack you. Free-battle all of them.
- Keep working until 5pm when you are paid.
- Go towards warehouse 17 and Free-battle the 5 Mad Angels who are beating
up Mark. Mark will finally tell you what he knows about the Mad Angels. He
is searching for his brother who he thinks was killed by the Mad Angels for
leaking imprtant information
- Go and see the homeless man again to learn a new move (RIGHT+Y+B, X).
- After you have learned the move, talk to him again. He'll warn you about
the Mad Angels but will reluctantly tell you that they ride around on
motorcycles at night and meet near that point outside the harbour cafeteria.
- You can now go home to bed.
- You will have to do another forklift race in the morning.
- Read the workmap. You have to go from the starting point with the boxes
to warehouse 18 again.
- During lunchbreak you will have a picture taken with Harasaki. Afterwards,
choose either the left (standing apart) or right (close together) picture.
Has anyone else noticed that if you pick the close picture Nozomi looks
disappointed that she gets the unhappy picture? It turns out Nozomi is
going to return home to Canada.
- Work until the end of the day when you get paid.
- After 7pm go to the forecourt in front of warehouse 18. Where you get a
QTE with more Mad Angels (these guys really don't like you!) on motorbikes.
- Afterwards, Free-battle 5 Mad Angels, then afterwards Free-battle the big
guy on his own.
- Go home afterwards and go to bed where Ryo will have a dream about Lan Di.
- The next day, finish the forklift race.
- Your assignment is to take boxes to warehouse 18 yet again.
- Nothing will happen until after lunch when you find a Mad Angel beating up
Goro. He'll lead you into warehouse 1 where you'll have a huge QTE with Mad
Angels in the warehouse. Careful at the end when you have to press several
buttons in quick succession. The last guy will threaten your friends and
family so Ryo knocks him out.
- Work until 5pm where you get paid then watch the cut-scene with Mark.
- Outside Game You in town the woman will tell you to go to the children's
play area near that taxi. This may or may not happen.
- Go there and a cut-scene will start where Harasaki is crying because you're
- The next day you are fired as there has been a lot of trouble since you
started working there, and then there is the last forklift race.
- You now have to carry the boxes to warehouse 8 and put them in the IN area,
and take one with red stripes from the OUT area to warehouse 18.
- At lunchbreak watch the cut-scene with Goro and Mai who have decided to settle
down and get married (Goro wants 10 kids!!).
- Talk to Mark. He knows about a major deal between the Mad Angels and Chi You
Men codenamed Long Xia.
- Talk to the third forklift operator along the line.
- After lunch continue working until a cut-scene with some Mad Angels on the
- You will now chase them both in a QTE. When you get the choice, chase the black
guy. He'll tell you about the highly secretive Mad Angels leader, Terry.
- Watch the cut-scene with Chen.
- Go home after this.
- You will wake up at 11:45pm to answer a phone call. It's Chai, and he's got
- Go to the bus stop, but you can't take the bus, so go to the motorbike
shop in the back street and knock on the door.
- Go to Sakuragaoka. Near the shop there should be a motorbike. Go up to
the doorpost and ring the bell/intercom. The owner will let you borrow it.
- You now have 2 minutes (real-time) to get to the dock on the bike. To
control it, press R TRIGGER to accelerate, L TRIGGER to brake, and either
the analogue or + Pad to steer. It's like a 3D Hang-On.
- At the dock, Free-battle 6 bad guys, then another 5.
- Terry will then free Harasaki-san on the condition that you incapacitate Gui
Zhang so that the Mad Angels can take over control of the Hong Kong route from
Chen. Ryo adds another condition that they must introduce him to Lan Di. Terry
agrees so Ryo takes Nozomi home on the bike in a very cinematic, movie-like
scene with her riding side-saddle.
- The next day watch the cut-scene in the dojo.
- Go to the docks.
- Go and talk to Tomo-san to learn the Tornado Kick (RIGHT, RIGHT, A, A).
- Watch the cut-scene with Tomo-san where he tells you that he's going
home to America, and watch the cut-scene as Tomo jets off in a plane.
- At 10pm you will meet with a Mad Angel and will Free-battle against Gui
Zhang. At fixed points in the fight, automatic moves will happen, such as
the end move (a classic, possibly the best move in the game).
- When you are both down, the Terry will swing a lead pipe at you, and in a
QTE, you will have to press RIGHT to stop Gui Zhang meeting a nasty death.
When Terry runs off (with the classic line "Follow me into Hell!") you and
Gui Zhang will follow him.
- Now is a brilliant Free-battle with 70 men (look at your VM screen to
see how many you've KOed). You and Gui Zhang have to make your way around
the corners, fighting the tough sub-bosses along the way. You and use your
Cylone Kick to take out multiple enemies at once by running by holding L
TRIGGER and pressing A, or pressing BACK+A to do a roundhouse kick.
- When all the enemies and sub-bosses are defeated, Pedro, Terry's right-hand
man will come down with two little henchmen. Take out the henchmen, then take
on Pedro. He uses heavy throw attacks and a lethal dropkick that you must avoid.
His kicks are slow so you can avoid them and throw him when he recovers. Use
Tomo's kick that he taught you to cause maximum damage as quickly as possible.
If your energy gets low, retreat and recover, but careful if he charges as he'll
- Do the QTE (simply press A) with Terry, then Gui Zhang will beat him up for you.
- There is now a scene of you leaving home for Hong Kong. Fuk-san will give you
some money from him and Ine-san (who says a silent prayer for you).
- When you get to the harbour, Chen will tell you that Gui Zhang is coming to Hong
Kong with you. He will teach you a new reversal. To do it you have to press LEFT+X,
- When he slow-punches you, practice the move on Gui Zhang.
- Suddenly, Chai will try and drop a girder on you, and it will just catch
Gui Zhang's leg.
- You will now have to Free-battle Chai. He's very tough and very fast, but
use your Cyclone Kick (L TRIGGER+A) or your elbow thrust (LEFT, RIGHT,
LEFT+X) to knock him away and keep him at bay.
- Watch the cut-scene of Lan Di getting on a boat waiting offshore.
- Quick QTE where Chai jumps back up and attacks you. The sequence is DOWN,
A, A, B.
- Now watch the ending as Ryo receives an envelope from Chen with the address of
a major Hong Kong martial arts master and leaves on the Hong Kong/Japan boat, the
Genpu Maru. Gui Zhang will meet you in Hong Kong as soon as his leg heals.
====CONGRATULATIONS!! YOU'VE COMPLETED SHENMUE PART 1: YOKOSUKA!!====
====SEE YOU IN HONG KONG FOR PART 2!====
(iv) SHENMUE PASSPORT
The Shenmue Passport is the 4th disc that gives you many additional features
for the game.
The top option has all the instructions given by the game characters in the E3
face demos. In the Japanese version they are all in Japanese except for the one
called MONEY, which is narrated by Mark. Ling Sha Hua narrates Prologue, Ryo
narrates Battle System, Nozomi narrates Mini-Games, Oishi narrates Magic Weather,
Mark narrates Money as above, Hong Xiu Ying (wait until part 2 - she's the one
who wrote the Chinese letter) narrates Game System, and Chai narrates QTE.
The left option is Theatre where you can watch all of the videos and cut-scenes.
Some of them are the Japanese and E3 promotional videos, but all the others are
the games cut-scenes which are unlocked as you as you watch them in the game.
The one called MAGIC WEATHER AND TIME CONTROL is all in English in the Japanese
The right option is the jukebox which lets you listen to any of the music that
you've heard in the main game. There are 30 tracks altogether. The four options
at the bottom next to the red and green dots are:
Single Play Play Through
The bottom option is the online Passport mode which is only worth accessing in
the Japanese version if you have a good understanding of Japanese. If you do
access it though, this is how it works in the US version:
From the main page you get 8 options around Nozomi Harasaki:
SHENMUE WORLD DATA REVIEW
NOZOMI'S MESSAGES ONLINE MANUAL
NETWORK RANKING EVERYONE'S SPACE
There are three options in here: Places, Profiles, and All Moves Scroll. In
places you can select any place in Yokosuka that you have visited and view a
load of detailed information about them all. Profiles let you read lots of
information about every person in the game that you have met, even people who
never say more than a few lines. The All Moves Scroll will give detailed info
about any moves that Ryo has learned. It gives the origin and history of the
move as well as your hit and accuracy ratings with the move.
If you are stuck this acts as an online guide. It will only show tips on what
you need for your current location and situation in the game. The two sections
in the messages are Information and Clue. Information not only gives game tips
but it gives advice about game settings too. More information will become
available as you progress. Clue isn't always available but will appear if your
save data shows that you are stuck (it could be if you have gone a certain
amount of time without making any progression). It will give you a clue to get
you back on track again with your game progression.
Here you can upload you high scores on Space Harrier, Hang-On, Darts 7, the
70-man battle, slot machines, forklift races, and the QTE games onto a world,
country, and state-wide ranking. You simply choose a user name, the game that
you have a high score for, and the game will do the rest.
This is just an analysis of your data. The data varies from the obvious like
number of game completions and completion time to the downright pointless like
how many cans of drink you have bought or how many times you bumped into a wall
during the game (303 times in my case).
This gives more detailed information than the instruction booklet. It covers a
lot of the aspects of the game in detail such as the Notebook and the in-game
This is one of the more interesting aspects of the Shenmue Passport. As well as
weather reports that you can get in the game proper by using the telephone, you
can get stats on your kitten's growth. In the game when you go to a vending
machine and buy a can of drink there is a chance (the odds are about 1 in 5, I
think) that you may get a special can. If you do, you can do one of two things
with it. You can either take it to a convienience store to get a free go on the
prize draw or you can use them in the Shenmue Goodies section in exchange for
characters on your VMU. You must first download the Shenmue Goodies program onto
your VMU (50 blocks), then every character's data that you get will take up an
additional 2 blocks. The Free Market lets you trade the toys from toy capsule
machines for ones you need and ones that can only be traded for here. Finally the
What's New section gives you information on all the latest news and services.
This is simply a link to the official Shenmue website. Apart from looking good,
the site is almost guaranteed to have any new announcements about the latest
instalments of Shenmue before anywhere else. Still visit the Shenmue Fan Site
all the time, though!!
This is where the Shenmue team will post new announcments about the game under the
headings 'Topics' and 'Troubleshooting'. If there is new info the icons will flash.
(v) MOVES LIST, NEW MOVES, AND TRAINING
You can view all the moves that you can do on the inventory screen by selecting
the icon that looks like an open scroll. Some of the moves are black which means
you haven't found them yet.
The moves are found on small cards with Japanese writing on them, or are taught
to you by various characters. By inspecting the cards from your inventory you
learn the move.
Here is a list of all the basic moves (that you already know at the game's
X - Tiger Knuckle
R+X - Elbow Slam
L+X - Twist Knuckle
R,R,X - Elbow Assault
L,L,X - Upper Knuckle
R,L,X - Sleeve Strike
L,R,X - Rain Thrust
A - Crescent Kick
R+A - Trample Kick
L+A - Side Reaper Kick
R,R,A - Against Cascade
L,L,A - Surplice Slash
R,L,A - Thunder Kick
L,R,A - Hold Against Leg
B - Overthrow
R+B - Sweep Throw
L+B - Vortex Throw
R,R,B - Mist Reaper
L,L,B - Demon Drop
R,L,B - Shoulder Buster
L,R,B - Tengu Drop
B - Darkside Hazuki
B - Back Twist Drop
X+A - Big Wheel
R,X+A - Twin Hand Waves
L,X+A - Backfist Willow
R,R,X+A - Avalanche Lance
L,L,X+A - Katana Mist Slash
R,L,X+A - Brutal Tiger
L,R,X+A - Dark Moon
RUNNING MOVES (while holding L Trigger):
X - Mistral Flash
X - Cyclone Kick
X+A - Windmill
When the move is being taught to you, it will first be shown to you, then you
must pull off the move in a Free-battle style part. If you fail to work it out
after a few attempts, your VMU will give you a clue until it eventually gives
you the whole move.
I think these are the locations of all the moves in this game:
1. In Fuk-san's room on his table.
2. In a basket in the corridor behind your father's room.
3-8. In the antiques shop on the main street. Their price ranges from Â¥300 to
9. Sometimes in the morning when you go towards the dojo Fuk-san will teach you
a new move.
10. In your hidden basement below the dojo in the bookshelf.
11. Taught to you by Gui Zhang in disc 3.
12. Taught to you by the homeless Kung-Fu master in disc 3.
13. Also taught to you by the homeless sensei.
14. Taught to you by Tomo-san (he calls it the Tornado Kick).
15. Taught to you at the very end of the game by Chin.
You can train in 3 locations in Yokosuka. The first is in your dojo. If Fuk-san
is there he will spar with you instead. The second is Sakura Park in Sakuragaoka
but this will only work if the park is empty. The third is the empty car park
near Game You.
If you bring up your moves list by pressing the L TRIGGER you can learn your
moves better. You can tell what standard you are with the move by looking at how
high the bar behind the move name is. The lowest line represents the 'learning'
level, the middle is 'moderate' level, and the top is the 'advanced' level. Aim
to get your most powerful moves up to 'advanced' by using them often. My favourite
move is the running jump kick which is done by pressing L TRIGGER+A.
Training methods can be selected by going to Ryo's bed and selecting the bottom
option. This will set how much each type of move will increase in level whenever
you train. The selections are:
HAND/ARM LEG MOVES
ALL MOVES will increase all moves (funnily enough) by an average amount. All the
others will increase the certain type of move by much more than the others. I
recommend focusing on hand moves as they are faster than kicks or throws.
(vi) FREE BATTLE AND QTE
Free battle and QTE are the two fighting systems in Shenmue.
Free battle is a real-time fighting system similar to Virtua Fighter. In fact, I
wouldn't be surprised if Virtua Fighter 4 had a similar engine and Ryo as a
hidden character. In a free-battle, when you knock down an opponent, they are
out, and you have a life bar in the bottom-left corner. New moves that you find
or buy can be used in a Free-battle.
QTE stands for Quick Timer Event. A button (either a + Pad direction or action
button) appears on screen and you have about a second to press the button before
you are hit or attacked. It generally makes a fight more interesting than Free-
battle as you do much more interesting moves.
Sorry if this seems like a pointless little part of the guide but you'd be
surprised by the number of emails I get about this.
Quick Save - A quick save can only be used once so if you do this make sure to
save again before turning off. If you access the menu with Y, you
can select the VMU icon and save. To load it select Load & Start
from the main menu.
Full Save - This is the proper type of save. To do it go to Ryo's bed in his
house and select the left option. This is loaded from the option
opposite Load & Start (I think).
(viii) 'THE BAD ENDING'
Shenmue's bad ending is like the Loch Ness Monster, Bigfoot, UFOs, and ghosts -
everyone knows about them, but no-one knows where they are, or even if they're
actually real. This however, is real, and I know how you can get it. Read on...
Step 1 - Go to the part of disc 2 where you have to sneak to warehouse 8 to meet
up with Chen.
Step 2 - Keep getting caught by the guards until you are thrown out of the docks
Step 3 - Just watch as the time fast-forwards a few months and....well you'll
have to watch it to find out!
If you don't want to do this you can just download a save with this ending on it
1.*HIDDEN HI-RES ARTWORK*
To see this put any one of the Shenmue game discs except the Passport into any
PC CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive and access the file named 'omake'. It is full of .BMP
files of different Shenmue artwork.
This artwork can be used as great desktop wallpaper if you set it to the right
2.*PLAY THE 7O-MAN FREE-BATTLE WHENEVER YOU WANT*
Complete the game and save the complete data at the end of the credits. Now if
you put in disc 3 and enter the options menu you can go to the bottom (the box
with a 70 in it) and replay the 70-man battle again and again to beat your best
times. You can submit you hi-scores to me via http://www.shenmuefansite.com.
Put one of the Shenmue discs into a CD player and play track 2. One of the
characters will give you a Japanese warning about the game damaging your
speakers. The first disc has Ryo speaking, the second has Nozomi talking, and
the third has Chai.
(x) THE KITTEN
By no means an essential part of the game, looking after the orphaned kitten is
a quite good sub-mission. When you first venture into Yamanose the girl Megumi
will ask you to help look after the kitten that was orphaned thanks to Lan Di's
car. When you first have to feed her choose the dried fish (right option), not
the tofu. From now on visit it once or twice a day to feed and pet it. You can
buy food for it from convienience stores or by checking the Hazuki refridgerator.
When Megumi asks you a question she is asking what to name it. I named mine 'Tama'
(the bottom option) which means 'lovable' in Japanese. You can call it anything
apart from the left option which Megumi doesn't like.
Whenever you look at the cat you get 4 options. These are:
As the kitten grows and becomes healthier various things will happen to it until
it becomes big and healthy enough that you don't need to look after it any more.
When it disappears, head up towards your house and you'll find her. Just look by
the front door of the nearby single-storey house.
(xi) THE DISC 3 BUG
I haven't heard of this happening in the Japanese version but I know it does in
the US version as it's happened to me and I get about 10 emails about it a day
What happens is on the second day of work the Mad Angels Free-Battle that is
supposed to happen doesn't. This means you can't progress and you're stuck on
that day until you restart disc 3 (or in several tragic cases, readers of this
FAQ and visitors to my website have had to start the entire game again only to
have it happen again) or you use this method which will work no matter how many
times you've repeated the day:
The scene you need won't be triggered unless you approach the area with warehouse
3 in it from the correct side, which is the side with the white van on it. Take
the route along the long road where the forklift races start and past the white
van into warehouse 3. Keep going there this way and coming back to the crates this
way and you should get into the desired fracas at about 4pm.
Thanks to CJayC at GameFAQs, Yu Suzuki, AM2, and Sega for making such a great
(ii) CONTACT ME
You can email me at email@example.com, or visit my dedicated Shenmue website
I will gladly help or elaborate on anything in this guide if anyone needs help,
and will try to answer every email personally.
(iii) REVISION GUIDE
12/30/99: v0.5: Got the game and wrote down everything I did as I did it.
1/2/00: v1.0: Finished disc 1 and finished guide to disc 1, finished background
1/3/00: v1.5: Started disc 2 walkthrough.
1/3/00: v1.6: Corrected some minor spelling, grammar, and general mistakes.
1/4/00: v1.8: Did most of the disc 2 walkthrough.
1/6/00: v2.0: Finished disc 2 walkthrough.
1/8/00: v3.0: Did disc 3 walkthrough.
1/8/00: v3.1: Updated story translation, and updated New Moves section to include
all of the new moves acquired throughout the game.
1/10/00: v3.2: Corrected a few minor mistakes and typos.
6/28/00: v4.0: Added Corrections and Saving sections.
7/30/00: v4.2: Added 'Bad Ending' section and Secrets.
11/11/00: v4.5: Added 'Changes to the US Version' section. More US version related
material coming soon. Began updating as I get further into the US version.
13/11/00: v4.6: Updated most sections, added 'The Kitten' section, and finished
updating disc 1.
19/11/00: v5.0: Finished updated walkthrough, got rid of 'Corrections' (I could
finally be bothered to get rid of the mistakes), added the 'Disc 3 Bug' section
as I've been getting a ton of mail about this.
"Follow me into Hell!" - Terry
Extra special thanks to Revolution reader Oliver Dean!