2016 was a year both familiar and unfamiliar. There were titles that made us proud to be gamers, but also an unhealthy handful of duds. Plenty of neat developments in the industry transpired including the debut of virtual reality and mid-generation hardware upgrades, changing the way we think of gaming altogether.
After looking at all the events that transpired this year, we've put together several lists that look at the most noteworthy games, for better or worse. Below you will find our end of year 2016 lists.
8 PC Exclusives That Made 2016 a Great Year
- If you're a PC gamer, then these are the games that made your preferred platform stand out during 2016.
- We were pleasantly surprised by a handful of games this year. You might just find a special game that you overlooked in this list.
- There were a small handful of powerful moments that games delivered this year, and we didn't forget about them.
- This was a great year for gaming, but not everything was perfect. There were several games that stirred controversy, which are highlighted in this list.
- Now that we're in a release drought, it's a good time to head back and enjoy some of the year's most commonly overlooked games. Here are some of them.
- Virtual reality games are expensive and usually not all that great. However, there are 10 that stand out as fantastic showcases for the new technology.
- eSports is on the rise with bigger prize payouts and coverage than any year before. In this list we look at the moments that made 2016 so compelling for eSports admirers.
- Our readers were asked what their favorite game of 2016 was. We tallied the votes and came up with a small list of player choice picks.
- Wondering what our game of the year is? This feature includes our top picks for 2016, including our unanimously voted #1 game.
- There's a lot to look forward to in 2017. After looking at all the releases, these are the 10 that we feel you most need to be aware of.