PS3 Hype Machine
Posted on Saturday, May 27 @ 12:13:14 Eastern by Duke_Ferris
The cat's not out of the bag yet, but it's definitely peeking.
At an impromptu press conference in Japan today, Sony president Ken Kutaragi responded to rumors about the release date of the PS3 and unveiled new material about the rig itself. Here's the current dish:
- The PS3 will enjoy a simultaneous worldwide (Japan, Europe, U.S.) release on November 11, 2006, just in time to drive your holiday spending through the roof.
- It will not cost less than about $425 (U.S.)
- The PS3 will include HDMI support for HD gaming.
- The system will support a 60 GB HD pre-installed with - nerd drum roll please - Linux. Though at first it was unclear as to whether or not this would come bundled with the system, it's now been confirmed that it will.
- To combat piracy, every game will be on the new Blu-Ray format.
- To combat, uh, Microsoft, the PS3 will be fully backwards compatible, able to play PSOne and PS2 games with hi-res re-texturing, as well as capable of playing both DVDs and CDs.
- A totally free online gaming service, dubbed the Playstation Network Platform, is in the works.
So there you have it...for now. The PS3 will indeed come out this year, and we'll be updating this page as new info leaks out. Until then, you can always check out our current rundown of PS3 titles, flip through the official PS3 console shots from last year's E3 show, or or dig the official press release below.