More Reviews
REVIEWS Astro A38 Wireless Headset Review
With the launch of the A38s, Astro has clearly shown that they can rock our eardrums off even if we aren’t sitting in our living rooms.

Destiny Review
With Bungie's leap to next-generation platforms and interstellar space closer to home, I wonder if E.T. is out there somewhere.
More Previews
PREVIEWS Skylanders Trap Team Preview
While younger gamers have flocked to the brand, more mature consumers remain reluctant to jump on board. Skylanders move forward with trappable enemies, though I doubt it’ll turn stubborn heads.
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
Release date: 09/30/14

Alien: Isolation
Release date: 10/07/14

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
Release date: 10/14/14

The Evil Within
Release date: 10/14/14

LATEST FEATURES Assassin's Creed Unity Interview: Ubisoft Talks Multplayer, Next-Gen Development, More
Ubisoft's first "truly" next-gen entry in the Assassin's Creed franchise takes the fight to France. Here's what you can expect.

PlayStation Download September 2014 - Updating Each Week
Sony's platforms always get plenty of new digital software and we'll bring you the list each week with the rest.
MOST POPULAR FEATURES The Updating List of PAX Indies
We're heading to PAX Prime! Are you looking to check out a few unique indie games while you're there? UPDATED: Dragon Fin Soup, Dungeon of the Endless,

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP shandog137
A Letter to the Big “N"
By shandog137
Posted on 09/12/14
I have and will continue to have a place in my heart for Nintendo. In fact, my first console was a Super Nintendo. The video game market has changed drastically since the early '90s and it seems like what once was platinum is more so along the lines of silver now. Nintendo has always been...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The People Speak Week 3: Game of the Year
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Game Revolution Forum Index -> General Gaming Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danielrbischoff

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: The People Speak Week 3: Game of the Year Reply with quote

In case you guys haven't seen the latest TPS (hey, I just realized) manifesto post, this thread will be active for two weeks. I figure the topic is big enough and I'm busy enough to get a little lazy with this.

As I've done in the past, I'll check back in here and try to reinvigorate the discussion if that needs to happen.

Anyways: What is Game of the Year 2010? There have been a ton of games released this year, but don't let the blockbusters outshine your favorite game of the year. Tell everyone what you played the most, enjoyed the most, or flat out deserves the game of the year over anything else.

If you're talking about Game of the Year flat, please only pick one game. If you're going to throw up a ton of titles, separate them into genres, platforms, whatever. Get it? Got it? Good. See you in two weeks for the next TPS.
WickedLiquid
In Limbo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of love has been given to Red Dead Redemption but I never played it.

God of War 3 and Super Mario Galaxy 2 were the best games I played this year. Since I'm pretty sure GOW is going to get more love over Mario in this thread I'm gonna say...

Super Mario Galaxy 2
LinksOcarina
The Anti-Fanboy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mass Effect 2, for the simple fact that it was an enthralling experience to play. A great story, deeper characters than the original, better combat and RPG mechanics and a great presentation overall. It came out early this year, but it is still the best game I played this year by far.
The Japazillian Dynasty

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WickedLiquid wrote:
A lot of love has been given to Red Dead Redemption but I never played it.

It deserves all that love and more and is easily my Game of the Year.

John Marston isn't merely another wooden puppet that you push around a landscape shooting anything that moves in the quest for better guns, filled XP bars, and/or cheevos. He is a cowboy, and a complex individual. As his reputation and fame (or infamy) spread across New Austin, you learn alongside the residents who John Marston is. There is some great exposition throughout and some great supporting characters. The game delivers a wonderful three act experience with an awesome third act and well-deserved epilogue. So many of these characters have an origin found in Western characters from classic movies and books.

Ultimately, Westerns have really taken a back seat in video games. And when one is released...it's usually bad. I guess I'm just grateful for a great story, amazing setting and tone, and fun as hell gameplay. Plus, It didn't just improve off of Red Dead Revolver, it's leaps and bounds better.

Last edited by Bretimus_v2 on Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tyrranis
L4Y Diplomat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, this is a tough one.

After much consideration, I've narrowed it down to Red Dead Redemption, Mass Effect 2 and Halo: Reach.

And, following further deliberation, I must give it to Halo: Reach, for simply showing us that split-screen multiplayer is still very much a viable way to go.

Remember, 2 Rs, 1 N.. Current thetank score: 30
HK-47
You are all meatbags

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to base my vote on a completely legit yet biased format, on the only game that I played that was released in 2010 and of which I've played all in the series prior to it: Etrian Odyssey III.
It helps that I had it pre-ordered.

Juggernaut, Hunter of the Gods.
Longo_2_guns
Ruler of the Queen's Navy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After, a whole lot of deliberation, I've finally decided. But first, lets view all the candidates, shall we?

First off, we have Mass Effect 2. Now really, the only award Mass Effect 2 should win is "Most Disappointing Game of the Year." While I could write ten pages on why it was a terrible sequel, I'll sum it up. Basically, the first game was going in the right direction, and instead of continuing down that path they stopped, chucked half the game out the window, made a complete U turn, and went down the worst street they could've. So it's out.

Next we have Starcraft 2 and Halo: Reach, which I'm going to lump together to save time as I can sum it up really easy for both. They're rehashes of 10 year old games without substantial amounts of change/improvement beyond graphics. Good games, but GOTY they are not.

Black Ops is also like that, except replace "10 year old game" with "a game that came out a year ago." So it's out.

God of War 3, Alan Wake, and Heavy Rain, which looked like possible GOTY's were also good, but just not tuned enough to be it.

So really, we've got two main choices. Red Dead Redemption and Fallout: New Vegas. New Vegas improves on EVERYTHING 3 had to offer, all while sticking much closer to the actual roots of the series. Red Dead Redemption on the other hand was going in a direction that only Gun had ever gone. And RDR was far better than Gun. However, both still have their flaws: NV was pretty buggy and RDR could've easily been fleshed out another 5 hours worth, as like half the characters just disappear forever after a short few scenes. So, therefore, I'm going to have to give the GOTY award to...

Demon's Souls, which is absolutely flawless.
Die Hard Commie Bastard

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does red dead redemption: undead nightmare count? I mean... zombies plus cowboys = major fun!

If not, then Mass effect 2, the only game i replay NOT because of gameplay, but because i love the story, lore and universe i'm thrown into. Yay for bioware for making a good western RPG!

and i love to say world of warcraft, but to tell the truth, that would be cheating...
You can't blame your desire to have a homoerotic orgy on pot.
UghRochester
Fattest Jedi Around

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red Dead Redemption does deserve this title, but I feel people are going to be what was the biggest hype about...

That's why I choose Halo: Reach
Halo: Reach was a great game and had one of the greatest multi-player online. If Halo: Reach doesn't win this title, it'll probably win Best Mutiplayer.
Posh B**tard

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naruto Shippuuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2!! KAWAAIAIIIIIII

Bahaha I kid.

Halo: Reach is fucking fun! So I concur with that recommendation.
Now - MY game to put forward will be Vanquish. Just to be different.
Great fun, I just couldn't stop playing it. Achievements were fun too! Plus, a sequel should be coming woohoo!
I Drank What?!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I KNOW it's Red Dead Redemption that SHOULD take GOTY ... but we all know the hypetrain will give it to Halo:Reach or Mass Effect 2, so really, why think about something that makes me sad.
Eyebrowsbv31
xXRaNd_PaUl_420Xx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, no game that is a freakin' sequel deserves game of the year. There's nothing new about it, just a continuation of an older game, regardless of how good it is.

To throw a curve ball, the GOTY should not go to a game, but to a service: Steampowered, or just steam. In this past year the good folks at valve have not only brought thousands of games to the market, they've made them work for the ever prissy Mac systems. They've brought indie games and foreign games to the forefront such as the STALKER series, Metro 2033, Kings Bounty, World of Goo, Zen Bound 2 and Killing Floor. Their awesome sales (Left 4 Dead for 5 bucks!) rock too.

This person hath spoketh...

Oh, and, EDIT: Minecraft. Respect.
Green_Lantern
Spacecataz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gran Turismo 5

or

P3P

And Steam has been awesome for quite some time...Not just this year.
WickedLiquid
In Limbo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eyebrowsbv31 wrote:
Personally, no game that is a freakin' sequel deserves game of the year. There's nothing new about it, just a continuation of an older game, regardless of how good it is.

What about...

Resident Evil 4
Grand Theft Auto 3
Street Fighter 2
Super Mario Bros 3
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
Doom 3
etc
Eyebrowsbv31
xXRaNd_PaUl_420Xx

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WickedLiquid wrote:
Eyebrowsbv31 wrote:

What about...

Resident Evil 4
Grand Theft Auto 3
Street Fighter 2
Super Mario Bros 3
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
Doom 3
etc

Let me edit that to "no game that is a freakin' sequel this year."
Green_Lantern
Spacecataz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we throw in Publisher of the Year as well?

If so then,

Atlus

Who should win every single year...
Longo_2_guns
Ruler of the Queen's Navy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eyebrowsbv31 wrote:
Let me edit that to "no game that is a freakin' sequel this year."

Yeah, this I can agree with.
I Eat Granola Bars

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sad thing is, I haven't played any games this year that weren't either sequels, or titles in a long running franchise, or new enough to have been released this year. That's what I get for being a poor college student who can't afford to spend hardly anything on games.
daylight savings time was introduced under a democratic congress. pretty clear that this is part of the liberal global warming farce, if we are extending daylight hours, of course temperatures will rise, THERES MORE DAYLIGHT!
HK-47
You are all meatbags

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green_Lantern wrote:
Can we throw in Publisher of the Year as well?

If so then,

Atlus

Who should win every single year...

This I can agree with.

Juggernaut, Hunter of the Gods.
Lethean
Big Fat Poo Head Who Ignores GR

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think for pure innovation and being the most lifelike game that isn't Second Life, Heavy Rain should take the GoTY honours. But....Are you looking for mass appeal, fun factor, innovation or what?

WHAT ABOUT KINECT GUYS?!?!

J/k.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Game Revolution Forum Index -> General Gaming Topics All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: