More Reviews
REVIEWS The Evil Within Review
Developer Shinji Mikami wishes for the survival-horror genre. Does The Evil Within make a case?

Defense Grid 2 Review
Hidden Path Entertainment offer up this sequel to one of the originators of tower defense gaming, with tons of modes for alien-blasting aficionados.
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES Disney Fantasia: Music Evolved
Release date: 10/21/14

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
Release date: 11/04/14

Far Cry 4
Release date: 11/18/14

Dragon Age: Inquisition
Release date: 11/18/14

LATEST FEATURES 7 Problems With Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX [Hands-on Preview]
For the last time, Aqua, NO I will not go out with you! (Yes, yes I will, actually.)

Xbox Downloads October 2014 - Updating Each Week
Microsoft's Xbox One console continues an Xbox Live revolution started over a decade ago. Here's hoping Summer of Arcade makes it to the platform next year.

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP Bras
On small farewells
By Bras
Posted on 10/14/14
Hello people I know and people I do not know, people with whom I have interacted at some point and people who happen to be here for a random reason involving boredom.  I have gathered you here so I can say one thing to your face before (some of…? Anyone hopefully?) you figure it...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Best short story wins a steam copy of Torchlight 2.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silios
Risible Foofaraw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Best short story wins a steam copy of Torchlight 2. Reply with quote

I had original intended on giving a copy away to Icepick, but he's on a Mac and there's no release date for Mac yet.

That being said, he gave me a great idea.

So here's to you Icepick.

RULES:

1. Your story has to be over 100 words and less than 300.

2. Plagiarizers will not be tolerated.

3. I will pick my favorite story on August 30th (my birthday) and PM the writer for their Steam username)

SOME NOTES:

The more clever your story is, the more likely I'll pick it. I'm writer myself, but I'm not a grammar nazi. So long as the story is readable I'll give it the same merit as any other story.

The other copy was offered to Longo, he hasn't PM'd me back yet. So if he turns down his copy, then there will be two winners in this topic.

Good luck, and remember. The story never changes, only the story teller.
Icepick
Professional Pocketpool Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the offer, I just have no way of utilizing it Sad

But kudos to giving to the Gr community
Bretimus_v2
The Japazillian Dynasty

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Entry
http://www.gamerevolution.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20585

NickKmet
I Eat Granola Bars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I would love a copy, but I'm a shitty writer. Well, I'm a shitty creative writer. I can write essays for days, but if I have to write a story, I'm screwed.
daylight savings time was introduced under a democratic congress. pretty clear that this is part of the liberal global warming farce, if we are extending daylight hours, of course temperatures will rise, THERES MORE DAYLIGHT!
Silios
Risible Foofaraw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickKmet wrote:
Man, I would love a copy, but I'm a shitty writer. Well, I'm a shitty creative writer. I can write essays for days, but if I have to write a story, I'm screwed.

Best way to get better is to practice. But tell you what, you write me at least 100 word story that you put effort in and if Longo doesn't want his copy, the second copy is yours.
Lien
Die Hard Commie Bastard

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would enter it... but i need a theme and inspiration... and a massage
You can't blame your desire to have a homoerotic orgy on pot.
used44

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, give a prompt.
De-Ting
Formerly Known as Prince

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over 100 words and less than 300.

Now that I've won, I've already got it preordered, so you'll have to pick someone else. Wink

o--(^-^)--o
Mod-Chip
Senior Idler

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure I'll give it a shot. Do we just submit it down here?
Silios
Risible Foofaraw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mod-Chip wrote:
Sure I'll give it a shot. Do we just submit it down here?

Just post it in this topic. Come August 30th I'll contact the winner via PM and I will edit my first post announcing who won and the runner ups. I'll also give an in depth review of of my favorites. What I thought made them clever and entertaining.
Longo_2_guns
Ruler of the Queen's Navy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been out on the road for the past, like, day and didn't notice I had a pm.

Give my copy to the second place winner instead, and I'll jump into the contest with everyone else when I can.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once upon a time there was a man named Wes who didn't have a steam account so his story was only one sentence.

The End
De-Ting
Formerly Known as Prince

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes wrote:
Once upon a time there was a man named Wes who didn't have a steam account so his story was only one sentence.

The End
And his story was a sad one.

o--(^-^)--o
Bretimus_v2
The Japazillian Dynasty

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been pretty sick and posting from bed...if I feel better, I'll def write something up.

danielrbischoff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.gamerevolution.com/manifesto/write-a-short-story-and-win-a-copy-of-torchlight-2-14055
TurinAlexander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will not be following the rules, because I'm a rebel like that. My entry:

?
!

The End.
Silios
Risible Foofaraw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danielrbischoff wrote:
http://www.gamerevolution.com/manifesto/write-a-short-story-and-win-a-copy-of-torchlight-2-14055

Thanks Daniel, hopefully by next week this topic will be flooded with short stories by talented writers.
WickedLiquid
In Limbo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually love to write stories so I whipped something up. But it's over 900 words and I don't know how to cut out 2/3rds of it. Bleh
danielrbischoff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WickedLiquid wrote:
it's over 900

WickedLiquid
In Limbo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, I write a lot of short stories but they never end up being "short".

I don't know, I can't cut anything out of it. Since it's too long it's not eligible to win. But I wrote it for you guys and it'll help get the ball rolling...

Last Night

There’s nothing worse than being woken up in the middle of night. I was happily asleep in my bed when suddenly my phone rang. My ring tone was a Beatles song; one of my favorite Beatles songs. Over the past few years I found myself listening to it often and being reminded of my youthful years, of better days.

My eyes slowly focused on the time, it was 2:30am. I had to be up in 3 hours for work, who the hell is calling me? The number was unlisted, which means one of two things. My 16-year-old daughter has snuck out again while I was asleep and something terrible has happened. Or it’s just my ex wife, drunk-dialing me again and blocking her number.

I took a deep breath and answered the phone. “Hello?”

“Doug… Is this Doug.” I didn’t recognize the voice at first. It sounded like a woman with a foreign accent. Was it Australian? Maybe New Zealand? I couldn’t tell but I know I’ve never heard her before.

“Yeah, this is Doug, I’m sorry who is this?” I sat up on my bed and cleared my throat a little.

“I’m going to need you to sign a waiver form…”

What the hell was she talking about? “Look, if you’re trying to sell me something I’m in the Eastern Time Zone! Don’t call people at this hour!”

I quickly hung up. Just who the hell does that lady think she is? Now I can’t sleep, I better go check on my daughter.

My little April, not so little anymore; running off, smoking pot, drinking, coming home at 4am. My greatest fear is that she’ll turn into her mother- *craaaack* What the hell was that? As I approached my daughter’s bedroom I heard a sudden crack along the floorboard. It must be April! She’s snuck out while I was asleep again! I ran downstairs and turned the lights on.

“DAMNIT APRIL!” I yelled. But instead of April I was face to face with a tall man in a black mask. He pointed his gun directly at me.

I could hear the floorboards crack upstairs “What the hell did I do?” April said as she walked out of her room. Before I could say anything she was walking downstairs in her pajamas. “OH MY GOD!” She screamed at the sight of the man.

The man moved his gun away from me and was moving towards April. I jumped forward and landed on top of the robber. BLAM The gun fired. The bullet shot me and I felt it pierce through my body. I starred into the robber’s eyes and I saw terror. He quickly pushed me off and got up. I tried to grab him but I was too weak. I saw his hands shaking and his eyes behind his black mask were flowing with tears.

“Puh…please…” I said to the man. “Don’t kill my daughter…” I looked over to April, she was frozen in fear, crying hysterically, having difficulty breathing.

I looked back over and the man had left. Or so I thought. Things were beginning to get hazy and everything was blurring into one. I had never been shot before. Was this shock? Was I dying? April ran to grab her cell phone and ran back to me with the phone to her ear. I know that much. She was trying her best to stay calm and explain to the paramedics what was going on. It was all starting to get so blurry. It’s difficult to remember…

“Dad.” She said in tears. I was focusing on her words, on her voice, trying to stay awake. “I love you so much.” She said in-between the tears.

Just concentrate on her voice. Her voice…. Her voice… the more I concentrated on it, the more it sounded… different. What was it? What was going on?

“…and I’m sorry you never got to see me grow up.”

Oh but I will April! I’m going to be ok! If only I could tell her I’m going to be ok.

“I wish you got to see me get married.” She said sniffing.

Married? When did she get married? She was married behind my back? How’s that possible?

“And I wish you could have met Steve. He’s a wonderful husband to me and a wonderful father to our kids.”

I wanted to say something, but I couldn’t; I thought I was choking on blood. I couldn’t talk but I tried to force the words out. Regardless of what she was saying, if they were to be my last words I would just want to say I love you! Everything was going black. Were my eyes closed? I could no longer tell.

April sniffed again and moved away from me “I’m so sorry, Mom signed the form, this is the end… I’m so sorry…” She had once again broken down into tears. “Good-bye dad…”

No! Where was she going! My ex wife signed what form??? April! APRIL! “I LOVE YOU!” I yelled at the top of my lungs.

I opened my eyes. Where… where was I? I looked around the room and noticed I was in the hospital. I… I was alive! Over in the corner sat a small CD player playing my favorite Beatles songs. And standing at the doorway was someone who was about to leave.

“Dad?!” April said in bewilderment as she turned around.

I didn’t recognize the woman at the door. She looked a bit like my ex-wife when we first met… but… she wasn't blonde, she had black hair. My hair colour, April's hair colour.. Was it… was it really her?

“April???” She looked like she had to be around 25.

“DAD!” She yelled running into my arms in tears. “Is this really happening???” she whispered into my ear.

“I’m…I’m not so sure myself.” It was then that I noticed I couldn’t move my legs. “April, what’s happened to me? Why am I paralyzed?”

“You’re not paralyzed dad” she moved back and looked at me. “You just haven’t used your legs in 10 years. Not since the mugger shot you. Do you remember?”

“Ten years, has it been ten years?” I was in disbelief. But she he was ok.

April was ok. My little April, not so little anymore.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> Misc All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: