Vader Immortal: A Star Wars VR Series was announced alongside the standalone Oculus Quest

Vader Immortal: A Star Wars VR Series Announced for Oculus Quest

Vader Immortal: A Star Wars VR Series was announced alongside the Oculus Quest today. Vader Immortal is being developed by the Lucasfilm division ILMxLAB in partnership with a team at Microsoft’s Ninja Theory. The three part Star Wars VR series will begin releasing next year when the Oculus Quest comes to store shelves.

Vader Immortal will be the third major VR project for ILMxLAB. The new title will see players venturing to Darth Vader’s castle on Mustafar—and is canon within the Star Wars universe. The reveal trailer is scant on story details, although the perspective puts Vader into the villain role. It’s likely that players will be rebels, or otherwise not big fans of the empire that Vader himself serves. A short clip of the player wielding a lightsaber was also in the trailer.

David S. Goyer is writing and executive producing the project. Goyer was a story writer on the Christopher Nolan Batman trilogy and on Call of Duty: Black Ops 1 and 2. Goyer penned the story for Star Wars: Secrets of the Empire for ILMxLAB’s collaboration with The VOID. Secrets of the Empire is a full-body VR experience that puts players in the shoes of undercover Rebels infiltrating an imperial base.

Vader Immortal and Secrets of the Empire are connected to each other. ILMxLAB’ Mohen Leo said, “the very initial conversations around this project started three years ago, around the launch of ILMxLAB.”

“This was around the time that some of the first really compelling content for the Oculus DK2,” he said, “the developer kit that preceded the Oculus Rift, came out. We recognized that VR has a unique ability to transport people to a fictional place and let them explore it.”

Goyer also expressed his enthusiasm for the project.

“I knew I couldn’t write it like a teleplay, I couldn’t write it like a movie,” said Goyer. “I’ve been writing for screen a long time, so to a certain extent I can anticipate how people are going to react to a scene. But in VR, that completely throws everything out of the water.”

Upcoming Releases

Return to Derceto Manor in this reimagination of Alone in the Dark, a love letter to the 1992 cult classic horror game.
Rise of the Rōnin is a combat focused open-world action RPG that takes place in Japan at a time of great change. It is the very end of a 300-year long Edo Period, commonly known as “Bakumatsu”. Set in the late 19th century, Japan is facing the darkest of times as it struggles with its oppressive rulers and deadly diseases…
The wicked Grape and the Sour Bunch have taken over the Sparkle Theater, and now it's up to Peach and the theater's guardian Stella to save the play––and the day! Peach can transform and use fantastic showstopping abilities to face off against the Sour Bunch. Fend off the Sour Bunch with sensational swordplay as a swordfighter...en garde! In another role,…
Dragon's Dogma is a single player, narrative driven action-RPG that challenges players to choose their own experience – from the appearance of their Arisen, their vocation, their party, how to approach different situations and more. On your journey, you’ll be joined by Pawns, mysterious otherworldly beings, in an adventure so unique you will feel as if accompanied by other players…

Reviews

X