Tell GR: What is the Best Indie Game of All Time?

Undertale creator Toby Fox has released a brand new (and free) spin-off game titled Deltarune, a surprising Halloween treat that none of us were expecting. The original Undertale was a breakthrough indie hit that exceeded all expectations, becoming one of the best-reviewed games of its release year. But is it the best indie game of all time? And if not, what other indie game deserves that title?

The GameRevolution editorial team has shared their thoughts on the matter, and you can share your own opinions in the comments section below. As always, we’ll feature our favorite.

Paul Tamburro, executive editor: Y’know when a game feels tailor-made to your personal tastes? For me, that game is Hotline Miami. Short, sharp bursts of satisfying, ultra-violent gameplay complemented by a blood-pumping soundtrack that makes you want to snap your controller in half with adrenaline. While Dennaton Games may have misfired with the sequel, the original is infinitely replayable so you can (and should) forget that Hotline Miami 2 even existed.

Jason Faulkner, senior editor: My favorite indie game of all time is Subnautica. There are a ton of survival games out there, but few have grabbed me like that one. I loved exploring underwater and finding new biomes, working towards crafting new vehicles to dive deeper, and learning about the strange world I was stranded on. Removing the ability to effectively combat hostile lifeforms for most of the game also added some survival horror elements as literally everything can kill you horribly.

Mack Ashworth, lead editor: Inside. I’m always impressed when a game can deliver a thought-provoking story in a short amount of time. Long after the game’s end, I was still trying to work out what exactly Inside meant, ultimately forcing me to replay the experience. It’s titles like this, where a small team creates a no-frills experience to put across a message, that has made me love the indie scene.

Bradley Russell, sub-editor: For me, it has to be Super Meat Boy. Not only did it lead to hard-as-nails platforms becoming popular again, but its secrets and supremely confident crossovers with other indie titles helped foster a community of connections between indie developers that still exists today. And that can only be a good thing. Oh, and the main boss is a fetus in a giant jar. So, there’s that.

Michael Leri, sub-editor: While Guacamelee is tempting me, OlliOlli2 is my pick, which is ironic because I can only skateboard by lying on my stomach. I have the balance of a paraplegic with vertigo. But that didn’t stop me from obsessing over OlliOlli2’s smooth controls. The game really pushes for you, as the player, to get better by doing. There’s no leveling and everything is unlocked from the start. Instead, *you* have to get better at landing and doing tricks and that gradual ramp from skating dork to Tony Hawk (who is arguably also a skating dork) is satisfying and why I love OlliOlli2 so much.

Upcoming Releases

Return to Derceto Manor in this reimagination of Alone in the Dark, a love letter to the 1992 cult classic horror game.
Rise of the Rōnin is a combat focused open-world action RPG that takes place in Japan at a time of great change. It is the very end of a 300-year long Edo Period, commonly known as “Bakumatsu”. Set in the late 19th century, Japan is facing the darkest of times as it struggles with its oppressive rulers and deadly diseases…
The wicked Grape and the Sour Bunch have taken over the Sparkle Theater, and now it's up to Peach and the theater's guardian Stella to save the play––and the day! Peach can transform and use fantastic showstopping abilities to face off against the Sour Bunch. Fend off the Sour Bunch with sensational swordplay as a swordfighter...en garde! In another role,…
Dragon's Dogma is a single player, narrative driven action-RPG that challenges players to choose their own experience – from the appearance of their Arisen, their vocation, their party, how to approach different situations and more. On your journey, you’ll be joined by Pawns, mysterious otherworldly beings, in an adventure so unique you will feel as if accompanied by other players…

Reviews

X