More Reviews
REVIEWS Pokémon Art Academy Review
Nintendo’s handheld gets new drawing tools and lessons for fans of a franchise that has slowly grown into incredible popularity through its richness in character.

Fantasia: Music Evolved Review
Harmonix's rhythm game based on the Sorceror's Apprentice provided a fun experience of arm-wavy controlling goodness. It also made me want to play Rock Band again.
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES Disney Fantasia: Music Evolved
Release date: Out Now

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
Release date: 11/04/14

Far Cry 4
Release date: 11/18/14

Dragon Age: Inquisition
Release date: 11/18/14

LATEST FEATURES 7 Problems With Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX [Hands-on Preview]
For the last time, Aqua, NO I will not go out with you! (Yes, yes I will, actually.)

Xbox Downloads October 2014 - Updating Each Week
Microsoft's Xbox One console continues an Xbox Live revolution started over a decade ago. Here's hoping Summer of Arcade makes it to the platform next year.

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP oblivion437
I Don't Want to, but I Have To...
By oblivion437
Posted on 10/20/14
Well, Gamergate has spilled over into the mainstream media and the coverage appears to be nearly uniformly dreadful. Take " What is Gamergate, and What Does It Say About Gender In Video Games? " by David Konnow as an example.  It appears that the writer has done little to no...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Are you naturally good at video games?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> General Gaming Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
used44

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:20 am    Post subject: Are you naturally good at video games? Reply with quote

I figure that most of us here are practiced to the point of being able to pick up any game and figure the basics out in a few minutes. It's odd how after a while (I'm sure most of us don't remember the exact point that this happened) you take for granted the ability to navigate two thumb sticks, for example. Some people are still completely turned off of modern gaming because nearly every game now requires massive amounts of simultaneous controlling of two sticks moving independently. Plus the other inputs happening at the same time.

And besides just the control aspect, the "game" part of the games themselves are filled with laws and familiar bits that veterans can truly sense and adapt to instantly. This isn't true for lots of people. Or maybe you took to it naturally! Discuss.
Longo_2_guns
Ruler of the Queen's Navy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not amazing, but I can usually hold my own in most games.

Like, not too long ago one of my friends got me an RTS game that he has been playing for YEARS. I play practice for 2 hours and I'm able to beat him easily. Though he's not very smart, but still.

Fighting games and stuff, not so much. Stuff that requires super fast reflexes, eh, not my forte.
Posh B**tard

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well since the left and right analog sticks are practically second nature to us we can pick up any FPS and do the basics from the get-go.
I reckon if my Dad picked up a controller it'd take a while to get used to the two sticks - with me laughing next to him.

In action games too, I would think if there were too many things going on they'd be overwhelmed ("they" being non-gamers). Any level in MW3 would just confuse the shit out of them.

I do remember my brother getting an ipad and we were taking it in turns playing that paper toss game. The record was 100-odd, and when it was my turn I smashed it on my 3rd/4th go. It was the best Christmas - Gamers > Everyone Else

Last edited by MattAY on Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
WickedLiquid
In Limbo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm great at single player campaign games but put me against people online and I'll usually get destroyed.

As far as figuring out controls it's a piece of cake. I remember playing Goldeneye on N64 at Rakon's and finding it incredibly difficult to navigate with just one analog. It's crazy since it seemed so easy when I was a kid.
cyberjim2000
Forum Bum

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only two thumb sticks and that's complicated?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV35B-vfT4U

Flight sims: Why play a game when you could learn how to fly a plane?
UghRochester
Fattest Jedi Around

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picking up controls are easy. My dad, I tried getting him to play a plug-in to TV game. He's too scared of it, because he only presses one button. My mom could play the N64, but I don't know about the other gens. I just hope when I'm older, buttons still remain and I play video games my whole life
The Original Pie Lover

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i'm actually fairly shit at single player in most games. I generally play on easy to avoid frustration from getting stuck.

The exception seems to be online multiplayer, which might just be because other people also suck because i tend to clean up in things like CoD when i'm concentrating. It's like my reaction time 1/2s when i'm gaming against other players vs computers and want my K/D to look impressive.
Also, Forza. I race on the hardest difficulty in it because it's boring otherwise and am one of the fastest in my club, many of whom are at level 100+ and played FM3 religiously. Or at least, i was a few months ago. The guys might've gotten faster now.

BarackObama,Putin,DavidCameron,XiJinpingAndseveralothers wrote:
Song of the year, every year.
danielrbischoff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up the Wii U controller for Call of Duty Black Ops 2 yesterday and found that I had so much muscle memory ingrained for Call of Duty. The developer was pointing out how the X and Y buttons were flipped, but that didn't stop me from instinctively pressing the wrong one over and over again.

I think you can't really be "naturally good" at games, but you develop a familiarity with the systems over time.
Bretimus_v2
The Japazillian Dynasty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that I'm good but not great. I lack the desire as of late to really invest the time and just mash away the hours. I also lack the desire to research and read up on stuff in order to make that next step.

For example, I'm really enjoying LoL right now, but I'm in no way expert. (Kiristo will agree.) I play for fun, get bored too soon in order to develop a strong main, and buy a new character as soon as one looks appealing and I have the requisite IP. The same translates over to fighters, etc. I would rather enjoy the broad experience and be B grade, then A+ it.

Delorean88
Lone Pine Loner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think after playing video games at a certain point it's like athletes and sports. Using two analogs is a breeze but I remember when playing co-op with friends who weren't really games and having to basically hold their hand because they kept running into corners looking at the sky. There hasn't really been a singleplayer game that I tired getting into but was too hard, multiplayer for the most part after playing for a bit I get really good but there are some games that I try my best but just don't do well in.

For muscle memory it is weird when games decide to change around button schemes. It's widely recognized that R is shoot (if a shooter), X is reload, A is some type of jump or run or accept and Y is changing of something. Games that decided to switch that around and haven't told me the controls ends with me pressing X wondering what's going on. Or I remember in PS1 days when every game had X as the ok button in menus then MGS comes around and gives me the finger saying it's O now
Sightless

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, I'm not good at games. I can't really play a lot of fancy newer games, because I hate playing in first person, and I hate doing a lot of things in 3D. Screw dual sticks -- I'd totally be in corners looking at the sky, Delorean. It takes me a while to learn controls, although I do try everything out.

This isn't exclusively game-related, but I'm good at anything that requires problem-solving skills, or logic skills. I looove puzzles.

I agree that one of the coolest things that people develop by playing games are those "laws" you're talking about, Used. A similar thing that is cool, I think, is smelling secrets. We know where there are good places to hide things, where there must be hidden treasures, and which path is the obvious one, so we ought to check an alternate path first.
I sprinkle sand into the waters of night. The grains burn as they fall, reminding me of another in times long passed away. I watched him even then as he fell, his face undefeated, his eyes still proud.
LinksOcarina
The Anti-Fanboy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My ego says yes, but I doubt its really true. I do have a sort of affinity when I pick up a game in terms of mastering its controls though; for example I started with dishonored already and thus far I have been getting through the game with relative ease, mostly via stealth at least.

I doubt anyone is a literal pinball wizard on the boards here, but everyone has skills and things like that.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danielrbischoff wrote:
I can't really be "good" at games

Fixed for you.

Because, you know, you aren't.
The Anti-Fanboy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longo_2_guns wrote:
danielrbischoff wrote:
I can't really be "good" at games

Fixed for you.

Because, you know, you aren't.

Truth.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna fucking ban you both.
LinksOcarina
The Anti-Fanboy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danielrbischoff wrote:

I did see you play Red Dead before...it was cute.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danielrbischoff wrote:

It's out of love.

Also, because it was too perfect and I just HAD to do it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LinksOcarina wrote:
danielrbischoff wrote:

Hahaha.

Dan used the auto-aim lobbies in Max Payne 3 instead of the free-aim. It was embarrassing.
WickedLiquid
In Limbo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS3 gamers don't judge you Dan.
Delorean88
Lone Pine Loner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

used44 wrote:
LinksOcarina wrote:
danielrbischoff wrote:

Hahaha.

Dan used the auto-aim lobbies in Max Payne 3 instead of the free-aim. It was embarrassing.

What a pussy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> General Gaming Topics All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: