More Reviews
REVIEWS Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfa Review
[PlayStation release update] Electronic Arts and the development team at EA Canada hope to catch as many PlayStation gamers as they did when Garden Warfare first launched exclusively on Xbox One.

CounterSpy Review
Your operative is tasked with infiltrating both sides of nuclear war. Can CounterSpy finish the mission in time for your PSN credit?
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES Tales of Xillia 2
Release date: Out Now

Plants Vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare
Release date: Out Now

Madden NFL 15
Release date: 08/26/14

Destiny
Release date: 09/09/14

LATEST FEATURES The Updating List of PAX Indies
We're heading to PAX Prime! Are you looking to check out a few unique indie games while you're there? UPDATED: Nom Nom Galaxy

The Best Upcoming Racing Games of 2014
You've probably only heard of Sony's exclusive Driveclub and Microsoft's exclusive Forza Horizon 2, but don't forget about a few others.

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP KevinS
RIP Robin Williams (1951-2014)
By KevinS
Posted on 08/14/14
Robin Williams (1951-2014) Robin Williams was an absolutely exceptional comedian, talented actor, and holder of a special place in video game history: He was the first really famous gamer I know of. I’m sure there were others, but they kept a comparatively low profile, unlike one...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Do Sony first-party exclusives matter anymore?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do Sony first-party exclusives matter anymore?
Yes
63%
 63%  [ 7 ]
No
36%
 36%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 11

WickedLiquid
In Limbo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over 25 years of Super Mario and Mario games are still selling like crazy. Mario games will never die and if you get sick of the same old thing, a younger generation will take your place.
danielrbischoff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

used44 wrote:
Also, don't fix what isn't broke, right? Mario games are still among the best and most innovative 2D platformers, and are definitely the best 3D platformers, I think.

BY FAR. Super Mario Galaxy is still the best platformer I've played since... the last great Mario game. It defines the genre. I still like SMB3 best if only for nostalgia.

I liked Super Mario Sunshine a lot too. Even though... well it wasn't the best Mario game. They have ups and downs obviously, but you'd be stupid to not admit that the games continue to be quite good.
Wes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super Mario Galaxy was the best Mario game since Super Mario 64, which was the best Mario game since Super Mario World, which was the best Mario game since Super Mario Bros 3...

Zelda games are still fun too. Ocarina of Time is considered the Citizen Kane of gamiing but whatever there have been incredible Zelda games before and after OoT.
used44

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danielrbischoff wrote:
used44 wrote:
Also, don't fix what isn't broke, right? Mario games are still among the best and most innovative 2D platformers, and are definitely the best 3D platformers, I think.

BY FAR. Super Mario Galaxy is still the best platformer I've played since... the last great Mario game. It defines the genre. I still like SMB3 best if only for nostalgia.

I liked Super Mario Sunshine a lot too. Even though... well it wasn't the best Mario game. They have ups and downs obviously, but you'd be stupid to not admit that the games continue to be quite good.

I barely played any Super Mario Galaxy even though I still own it. It just happens to be on a console I hate.

Super Mario Sunshine might be my favorite game on GameCube though.
WickedLiquid
In Limbo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But getting back on track, there's nothing really continuing onto the PS4. There will probably be a Little Big Planet 3, but that's not as exciting as MGS4 and GOW 3 were. I'll stick with Sony if they're able to let me use my PS3 controllers and accessories. I'll be upset if there's limited to no backwards compatibility for disc games but it's understanding. Downloaded games however must be allowed to be moved onto the PS4.

As far as exclusives go there really isn't much. Perhaps Quantic Dream will stick with Sony or they'll brainstorm a new franchise like they did with Infamous, Uncharted, LBP, etc
Ivory_Soul

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do matter, or at least they did. They created a bunch of new IPs and just made sequel after sequel and stopped making new IPs to bring to the next console. Where's the new Jak & Daxter? Maybe Insomniac can reboot Ratchet & Clank. What about a new Spryo that doesn't suck? I think the PS4 will be bringing us new IPs that are just as great as the ones now.
Alex_Osborn

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately for Sony, their exclusives just haven't taken off. The difference between Uncharted or Killzone and something like Halo is that Halo boasts a deep universe that has been fleshed out over the years. I hate to say it but the majority of Sony's exclusives are relatively shallow. Resistance had potential, but never gained traction.

Oh yeah and Sony marketing sucks.
Ivory_Soul

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex_Osborn wrote:
Unfortunately for Sony, their exclusives just haven't taken off. The difference between Uncharted or Killzone and something like Halo is that Halo boasts a deep universe that has been fleshed out over the years. I hate to say it but the majority of Sony's exclusives are relatively shallow. Resistance had potential, but never gained traction.

Oh yeah and Sony marketing sucks.

Don't forget Gears of War and Mass Effect (used to be 360 exclusive). Most of Microsoft's exclusive games tend to have expansive universes with books, comics, and other multimedia.
Bretimus_v2
The Japazillian Dynasty

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is something that has always completely baffled me. Sony has a full-fledged entertainment portion of their business (movies, music, etc.) so why don't they capitalize quicker on deep saturation of their popular or even semi-popular IPs?

TheJx4

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer Resistance over Killzone, and Uncharted over Killzone. With that being said, Sony has TOO many first party games/exclusives, and they only fall into two categories. Shooters, or weird. The lack of social features when compared to 360 don't really help the Shooters out very much, and I'm sure people get tired of playing "unique" platformers all the time. A lot of them are single-player too.

The PS3 doesn't have a killer-app, that's the main problem. Xbox has two heavy hitters, Halo & GoW.
Ivory_Soul

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheJx4 wrote:
I prefer Resistance over Killzone, and Uncharted over Killzone. With that being said, Sony has TOO many first party games/exclusives, and they only fall into two categories. Shooters, or weird. The lack of social features when compared to 360 don't really help the Shooters out very much, and I'm sure people get tired of playing "unique" platformers all the time. A lot of them are single-player too.

The PS3 doesn't have a killer-app, that's the main problem. Xbox has two heavy hitters, Halo & GoW.

The PS3 does have killers apps. God of War? That's what is so great about Sony exclusives is that they are creative. You want to talk about shooters? Almost every Xbox exclusive is a shooter. Killzone, Uncharted, Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, Shadow of the Colossus (And Trico if that EVER comes out), Heavy Rain, Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo. Those are just some exclusives and many of those are killer apps.
TheJx4

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ivory_Soul wrote:
TheJx4 wrote:

The PS3 does have killers apps. God of War? That's what is so great about Sony exclusives is that they are creative. You want to talk about shooters? Almost every Xbox exclusive is a shooter. Killzone, Uncharted, Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, Shadow of the Colossus (And Trico if that EVER comes out), Heavy Rain, Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo. Those are just some exclusives and many of those are killer apps.

When did God of War III come out? Okay.
Yes, the majority of them are shooters, and the Xbox is doing very well because of that. That's why Sony can't grab that "crowd". SotC is a PS2 game. The Future series is not even on par with classic R&C. Don't understand the mention of Jak & Daxter. Heavy Rain came out when? Okay. MGS, point taken. Gran Turismo, not really a system seller...

You didn't mention a single killer-app, besides Uncharted. Which pretty much lost that title after UC3. Let's take Gears of War 3 and Uncharted 3, one sold over 3 million copies in the first week, the other only sold 1+ million. Killzone 3 didn't even sell more than KZ2 at launch. Creativity doesn't always mean it's good.
Ivory_Soul

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheJx4 wrote:
Ivory_Soul wrote:
TheJx4 wrote:

When did God of War III come out? Okay.
Yes, the majority of them are shooters, and the Xbox is doing very well because of that. That's why Sony can't grab that "crowd". SotC is a PS2 game. The Future series is not even on par with classic R&C. Don't understand the mention of Jak & Daxter. Heavy Rain came out when? Okay. MGS, point taken. Gran Turismo, not really a system seller...

You didn't mention a single killer-app, besides Uncharted. Which pretty much lost that title after UC3. Let's take Gears of War 3 and Uncharted 3, one sold over 3 million copies in the first week, the other only sold 1+ million. Killzone 3 didn't even sell more than KZ2 at launch. Creativity doesn't always mean it's good.

God of War III came out in March of 2010. Gran Turismo is a system seller. GT5 has sold 9 million units since its release in Feb of 2010. I know SotC is a PS2 game but the HD collection was really popular and sold well. It mainly brought people over to the PlayStation family, not really system specific on that one. I mentioned Jak & Daxter because in it's hayday it was a system seller. Killzone is a strange beast. The only reason why Killzone 2 sold so well was because of the E3 hype about it not being pre-rendered. Every PS3 owner wanted this game, and KZ3 only undersold by 150,000 copies. KZ3 wasn't as hyped and the marketing on that game was a bit poor. MAG was released just before then and was really popular due to its 200+ online multiplayer count. It is still one of the best shooters on the PS3. You can talk about SOCOM but the series took a dive after Combined Assault was released. The only good ones are on the PS2 and I think the servers went down years ago.

But you are right mostly, Sony tends to overhype their IPs and then they forget about the sequels. The PS3 has killer apps, quite a few are system sellers. You also have to look at their handhelds. On the PSP both Syphon Filter games sold millions of systems, and some people even bought one ahead of time just for the long 5 year wait of Gran Turismo which turned out to be a huge disappointment. The FF7: Crisis Core game sold a lot of systems as well as the FF Tactics game. I could go on and on, but in the end, Sony doesn't have great support for their IPs, they just kind of let them fall.

I also want to point out I'm not fanboy ranting here just stating facts. I own both 360 and PS3 and like them equally. However, I do think the Xbox is the winner when it comes to quality this generation. They have grown that system so much since its release in November of 2005. The PS3 and Wii have pretty much been the same.
Optimus-Crime
bananable

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. PS3 exclusives are shitty as hell. Why? I don't know. Fuck you , PS3. Best, most powerful c onsoe my ass, you fucking faggot.

I'm apologize to everyone but Sony. You even killed Zipper, your one good dev. wtf, you dumb fuck. fuck a ps4. i'm not buying that shit ever. God of war, wooopty doo
TheJx4

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOCOM 4
Ivory_Soul

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Optimus-Crime wrote:
No. PS3 exclusives are shitty as hell. Why? I don't know. Fuck you , PS3. Best, most powerful c onsoe my ass, you fucking faggot.

I'm apologize to everyone but Sony. You even killed Zipper, your one good dev. wtf, you dumb fuck. fuck a ps4. i'm not buying that shit ever. God of war, wooopty doo

You're either joking or you're 8 years old.
danielrbischoff

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or drunk... if you saw the rest of his posts at the time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> Sony All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: