More Reviews
REVIEWS Boss! Review
PlayStation Vita owners looking to exercise a little frustration can look to this rather low-fi title about creating a monster and destroying everything in your path.

KINGDOM HEARTS HD 2.5 ReMIX Review
Part 2 of Square-Enix and Disney's cooperative compilation cash-cow is ready to milk the series for another go, but does the milk taste sweet or is it spoiled?
More Previews
PREVIEWS Evolve Preview
With multiplayer action set as its focus, Evolve surprised us earlier this month by introducing a single-player campaign mode where you can switch between mercenaries.
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES Kalimba
Release date: Out Now

Persona 5
Release date: 12/31/14

Motorcycle Club
Release date: 01/01/15

Atelier Ayesha Plus: The Alchemist of Dusk
Release date: 01/14/15

LATEST FEATURES Downloadable Content Walks the Line Between Fun and Frenzied in Middle-earth
I don’t even care all that much for the Lords of the Rings brand, which makes the content falling under Shadow of Mordor’s Season Pass a pleasant surprise.

Ugly Christmas Sweaters for Gamers
If this awful trend is going to persist, you may as well do it your way.

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP KevinS
RIP Ralph Baer (1922-2014)
By KevinS
Posted on 12/07/14
RIP Ralph Baer (1922-2014) I really, really hate writing obits. I really do. But I take it as a personal honor to be able to say good things about the men and women I respect, whether in this industry or just in my life, and Ralph Baer is the reason all of this exists in the first...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Death of a series- Forza Horizon |OT|
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Icepick
Professional Pocketpool Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Death of a series- Forza Horizon |OT| Reply with quote

Well, Forza is now dead, the demo released today confirmed my fears.

What was once an indepth game founded on the love of cars, and tuning, is now a generic need for speed racer, dedicated to covering a music festival.

I loved Forza, it's indepth physics created a proper simulation environment, the ability to take any car and tune and mod it until it matched your desires was nice, especially given that it wasn't "tuning" in the fast and furious style, there was no NOS, no park bench spoilers, no underglow

All of that is dead with the new Forza Horizon demo, the cars feel floaty, almost like dirt 1, without the excuse of trying to simulate loose gravel conditions, the cars are now all "equally" competitive, the difference between a Lancia Delta Integrale and an Exo X? just the shape of the body now

There's no engine noise, no damage, it features gameplay elements from Need for Speed and test drive unlimited, instead of an actual racing sim. I guess all of this was done to reach a broader audience, but it alienates those who supported the franchise from it's beginning

Sadly there will be no GR livery this year, just an angry man sitting in his basement with a $400 racing wheel that'll collect dust
used44

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I just played the demo not expecting it to be my thing. And that was confirmed.

But it's not like I'm done with Forza 4. So I'll continue playing that and accepting that Horizon is for a totally different crowd.
Longo_2_guns
Ruler of the Queen's Navy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A game with Horizon in the title is basically a death sentence for the series. That's what I've figured out.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it's Bizarre+Codemasters? Not really Turn10. So the main Forza team is probably already working on Forza 5. This is just an unfortunately titled spin-off.
Icepick

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turn 10 handed them a reworked physics engine and car models, all bizarre ad codemasters did was piece together the game, it's T10's work still

what worries me, is if this is a success, t10 will no doubt push it as their mainstay flagship

and Longo, Uncharted Waters - new Horizons for the SNES defeats your rule
used44

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it's got Forza's assets, but it feels exactly like DiRT. So I'm not blaming Turn10. I'm blaming Microsoft.

And also, please agree that it's not a bad game. It's not Forza, and it's not for us. But it feels like a good Dirt arcade title. So if that's you're thing, go for it.

I won't be buying it though. Maybe down the road on a budget.
used44

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahahaha down the road. Get it get it.
MattAY
Posh B**tard

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Archive material.

Last Forza game I got was 3, so I was actually going to buy this one. A little disappointed that it sucks.
The Original Pie Lover

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i've noticed a disturbing similarity to Dirt. This is made all the more apparent by the fact that i was playing Dirt 2 about an hour before i played the demo.
Although it's like Dirt, expect you can't bloody oversteer. No, game, the Evo does NOT grip on dirt at 110km/h around a sharp corner. That's not how physics works.

Still going to buy it, though, because i was looking for a game that's basically TDU2 but not shit, and that's what this looks like. I was just wishing there would be a 'dipshit' mode for all the NFS fans and a 'Forza' mode for those over the age of 13 with Forza 4s physics.
Unfortunately, playing with the steering on the non-dipshit setting didn't stop my Viper from not losing control when under WOT and full lock in 3rd gear.
BULLSHIT, Forza. I should be very dead.
Speaking of the 'non-shit TDU2' thing, it better have Forza 4s customization system. I want to roll with a 300C that has 24" wheels, -3 degrees camber and suspension so low it scrapes the ground. And i want all that with racing slicks, carbon ceramic brakes and a full roll cage so i can out-corner a Nissan GTR.

Another thing - why the HELL can we only cruise in the Evo in the demo?
I fucking hate the Evo X. I've driven one in real life, and it's a gutless turd. Below 4500rpm there is literally NO power. Even when the turbo comes on (the incredibly laggy turbo) the cams haven't kicked over into performance mode, so there's a 500rpm gap in which you are on FULL BOOST and still not producing any power. And the clutch is a weak heap of crap and it feels 300kg heavier than the Evo 8 and the seats are shit.
It's a shit car and i hate it and why can't i cruise in the Stang or the Viper? Shit, why can't i cruise on a bloody moped? Or a Segway?
I'd rather hop around than drive that understeery gutless heap of electric throttle'd shit.

Also,

Damn straight

BarackObama,Putin,DavidCameron,XiJinpingAndseveralothers wrote:
Song of the year, every year.
Icepick

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you drove an EVO X, maybe an Evo, but the X has plenty of power, when my father was purchasing a new set of wheels, I demanded he test drove the Evo X, more so for me, so I could take it out

Had to pay for cleaning, but I drove the shit out of it on Canadian backroads, has plenty of power, just way too stiff of a ride. That and my father had no interest in a sports car (he settled for a 2012 Camry LE)
madster111
The Original Pie Lover

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icepick wrote:
I don't think you drove an EVO X, maybe an Evo, but the X has plenty of power, when my father was purchasing a new set of wheels, I demanded he test drove the Evo X, more so for me, so I could take it out

Had to pay for cleaning, but I drove the shit out of it on Canadian backroads, has plenty of power, just way too stiff of a ride.

I've driven the Evo 6, 7, 8 and X. X and 7 were stockish, 6 had light mods and the 8 was... quite heavily modified. As in, even the excellent brakes were deemed a weak point and upgraded.

The X DOES have plenty of power. When you're beating the crap out of it and revving over 5krpm.
Below that, however, it's just got no balls. And that's not because it's a 2L - the old 4G63 had plenty of power/torque between 3-5krpm.
It's laggy, less powerful than the old engine, not very fuel efficient, heavy and the seats are too small.
The suspension is hard, but it's not as hard as the earlier Evos. Although replacing the Evo 6/7/8s suspension with a brick would produce no noticeable difference in ride comfort.

I just don't like the X. At all. I don't see why you wouldn't just buy an 8 and enjoy the old, better iron block and lighter car. Sure, the interior isn't as nice, but you're driving a small AWD, turbo sports car, not a big sports coupe. You don't need a flashy screen and big stereo.

Icepick

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madster111 wrote:
Icepick wrote:

Had to pay for cleaning, but I drove the shit out of it on Canadian backroads, has plenty of power, just way too stiff of a ride.

I've driven the Evo 6, 7, 8 and X. X and 7 were stockish, 6 had light mods and the 8 was... quite heavily modified. As in, even the excellent brakes were deemed a weak point and upgraded.

The X DOES have plenty of power. When you're beating the crap out of it and revving over 5krpm.
Below that, however, it's just got no balls. And that's not because it's a 2L - the old 4G63 had plenty of power/torque between 3-5krpm.
It's laggy, less powerful than the old engine, not very fuel efficient, heavy and the seats are too small.
The suspension is hard, but it's not as hard as the earlier Evos. Although replacing the Evo 6/7/8s suspension with a brick would produce no noticeable difference in ride comfort.

I just don't like the X. At all. I don't see why you wouldn't just buy an 8 and enjoy the old, better iron block and lighter car. Sure, the interior isn't as nice, but you're driving a small AWD, turbo sports car, not a big sports coupe. You don't need a flashy screen and big stereo.

you're completely glossing over the numerous drive train issues the 8 has
madster111
The Original Pie Lover

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icepick wrote:

The Aust. delivered Evo 8s have the jap running gear, which is fine unless you beat the hell out of it.

A lot of people also call their trannys broken when they first hear the whine, which is fairly normal and doesn't hurt anything.

Icepick

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madster111 wrote:
Icepick wrote:

The Aust. delivered Evo 8s have the jap running gear, which is fine unless you beat the hell out of it.

A lot of people also call their trannys broken when they first hear the whine, which is fairly normal and doesn't hurt anything.

I'm not the type of person who would assume transmission failure without there being an actual mechanical fault

and look at any advert for the EVO X, it talks about the drive train warranty, which is a direct response to previous evo's not holding up to snuff

I get what you're saying, if you were strictly racing sure the EVO 8 is fine, marginally better even, but for every day life, the EVO X is superior, more comfortable, more reliable, and unless you get the FLQ, more economical

and the FLQ beats the evo 8 in the arguments you posted earlier
Icepick

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, if GR scores this higher than other Forza titles, I will burn down all of Berkley, just saying
madster111
The Original Pie Lover

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can totally free roam in the Viper providing you don't finish the race at the start.

Just have to put up with the driving aids and the constant 'turn around when possible'. Which is entirely too much like actual GPS.

At least Horizon is pretty.

danielrbischoff

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icepick wrote:
also, if GR scores this higher than other Forza titles, I will burn down all of Berkley, just saying

Nick is on it. Very Happy
http://www.gamerevolution.com/review/wwe-2k15-ps4-xone
Green_Lantern
Spacecataz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably will get a 4.5....Everything else does.
Icepick

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i will shit bricks if it does
Green_Lantern
Spacecataz

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

used44 wrote:
Yeah it's got Forza's assets, but it feels exactly like DiRT. So I'm not blaming Turn10. I'm blaming Microsoft.

And also, please agree that it's not a bad game. It's not Forza, and it's not for us. But it feels like a good Dirt arcade title. So if that's you're thing, go for it.

I won't be buying it though. Maybe down the road on a budget.

I can agree with that after trying the demo...Codemasters does it better though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> Microsoft All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: