More Reviews
REVIEWS Firefall Review
Repetitive gameplay makes this fall a little boring.

The Walking Dead: Season Two Review
At this point, you’re not coming back for the zombies. Let’s get down to business.
More Previews
PREVIEWS Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions Preview
Put up some movie glasses, because Geometry Wars is entering the third dimension.
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES Destiny
Release date: 09/09/14

FIFA 15
Release date: 09/23/14

Ar Nosurge: Ode to an Unborn Star
Release date: 09/23/14

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
Release date: 09/30/14

LATEST FEATURES And I Was All "Hell Yeah I'll Play a New Dreamcast Game"
I just played a Dreamcast game that was released in... wait, 2014?

A Comprehensive Guide to Dealing with Controversy in the Video Game Industry
Need help wading through the latest misogyny/homophobia/racism/corruption debate in the gaming industry? Paul Tamburro’s here to help!
MOST POPULAR FEATURES The Updating List of PAX Indies
We're heading to PAX Prime! Are you looking to check out a few unique indie games while you're there? UPDATED: Dragon Fin Soup, Dungeon of the Endless,

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP samsmith614 Since game design is a business, I decided to see what's really selling well for the PS4. I did this search a week ago, and at the time, out of the top 20 bestsellers on Amazon 10 had not even been released yet. By now some have been released. But others still have not. And yet others...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
xcom vs x-com enemy unknown

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> General Gaming Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drathbone

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:58 pm    Post subject: xcom vs x-com enemy unknown Reply with quote

Could somebody please clear this up for me. I came across an old game magazine I didn't read (was sent to an old address between moving) and saw something about Xcom, an FPS based on the old turn based strategy/rpg alien game. Recently, X-com: Enemy Unknown came out which is a turn based game based on the old one, I thought this was the FPS that was coming out.

So, was this an old announcement/teaser and they decided to make it truer to its roots (strategy vs fps)? Or was this an entirely different game?
cyberjim2000
Forum Bum

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entirely different game, I heard. Enemy Unknown is a remake of the original game while XCOM is a FPS reboot of the series just like Syndicate.
drathbone

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. That was bothering the phuck out of me, especially when I played EU demo and was waiting for the FPS part. Totally unexpected.
used44

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the FPS still looks great, even if it's in development trouble.
danielrbischoff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Mass Eff-XCOM at E3... uh, two years ago now? I didn't really like what I saw, if only for the never-ending river of shit XCOM fans were about to throw at 2K while screaming. And yes, they dialed development on that one back and turned out Enemy Unknown as a "remake" of the original.

I think the FPS has some interesting ideas, but it's not the XCOM fans of the series wanted.
used44

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but fuck them.
drathbone

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danielrbischoff wrote:
I saw Mass Eff-XCOM at E3... uh, two years ago now? I didn't really like what I saw, if only for the never-ending river of shit XCOM fans were about to throw at 2K while screaming. And yes, they dialed development on that one back and turned out Enemy Unknown as a "remake" of the original.

I think the FPS has some interesting ideas, but it's not the XCOM fans of the series wanted.

Wait I'm still confused (maybe more than before, thanks Daniel). So it was originally announced as an FPS but fans said that's stupid so they released EU as the throwback to the original but are still making the FPS? Or is it two seperate developers making the game? I'm sure I could google all of this but I like to facilitate discussion on the forum.
used44

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2K Games is publishing both games. One team (Firaxis) made Enemy Unknown, the tactical strategy game that's out. The other team (2K Marin {Bioshock guys}) are/were working on the FPS reimagining.
danielrbischoff

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used has it right. Sorry I made it more confusing.
C_nate

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny thing is, I didn't even know about the original xcom till I went to the steam forums looking for help about my special edition box I bought and the dlc that came with it not activating on my steam account.

Then I saw the threads from the original xcom players going on and on and on about how their childhoods were raped by this latest xcom game and if you liked it, you had no idea what good games are.

I quietly exited my browser, no solution to my missing dlc to be found, still wondering wtf they were crying about.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> General Gaming Topics All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: