More Reviews
REVIEWS Wayward Manor Review
Not even the power of Neil Gaiman and The Odd Gentlemen could save this game from a fate worse than death: a terrible score.

ONE PIECE Unlimited World Red Review
"Unlimited World Red"? More like "Sorta Limited Town and Extended Areas... Red. And Blue. And Some Yellow."
More Previews
PREVIEWS Pillars of Eternity Preview
For Obsidian's crowdfunded love letter to Infinity Engine games like Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate, I was impressed by its willingness to pull back the curtain and let me see the machinery behind it.
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES Sacred 3
Release date: 08/05/14

CounterSpy
Release date: 08/19/14

Tales of Xillia 2

Plants Vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare

LATEST FEATURES How Bioware Creates Romances
Bioware's games have romances where you might save the world, on the side of course.

We Absolutely Should Be Upset With Club Nintendo's Latest Elite Rewards
Surveys out the wazoo and I get a code for Dr. Luigi?
MOST POPULAR FEATURES Picking Your Gender: 5 Industry Professionals Discuss Queer Identity in Gaming
Women from Naughty Dog, ArenaNet, Harmonix, and Gamespot unite to talk about what they want from games in terms of diversity.

Coming Soon

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP Kakulukia
Why Sunset Overdrive Can Go Suck A Lemon
By Kakulukia
Posted on 07/14/14
Yesterday, while cleaning up my media center, I found my copy of Ratchet & Clank: Into The Nexus, which I bought sometime before Christmas last year. I had been pretty excited about this game pre-release, what with it being the first "traditional", albeit shorter than usual,...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Jonathan Made Me Do It! Well, it was really this...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anthony_Severino

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Jonathan Made Me Do It! Well, it was really this... Reply with quote

So, during Black Friday, I asked Jonathan Leack about PC components so I could build a custom gaming PC. Him, being THE MAN, helped me pick out some great stuff.

I was talking about it today with Daniel, so he suggested that I post what I got here to measure my PC e-penis. Apparently, I have a really big one. Or at least that's what she said.

Anyway, down to what I got. I'm still waiting on a couple things, and may double up on a graphics card.

660Ti graphics card (I may get another)
Intel i7 3770k quad-core processor (Ivy Bridge, bitch!)
256GB Crucial m4 SSD for OS and games
1TB Wester Digital HDD for everything else
Gigabyte LGA1155 motherboard with 3D support and a bunch of other stuff I don't understand
Corsair Graphite Series Case in white
Corsair 750-watt modular Power Supply
16GB Crucial DDR3 RAM
Blu-ray burner (I already had one for home HD movies)

I should also note that this was my first real foray into PC gaming. I haven't ever been able to afford it before.

Only bad thing is that I got Windows 8 because Windows 7 was too goddamn expensive to buy the full version of. I hate Microsoft.

Does anyone have suggestions on a good gaming mouse and keyboard that's also decent for everyday practical use? I'm thinking the Logitech G700 for a mouse, but no idea for keyboard.

What do you think? Did Jonathan do good? Now I just need to put it together and I have no idea what I'm doing. Well, I kinda do, it's just been a long time... like 10 years since I built a PC from scratch. I'll be good though, I'm sure. I've built houses, I can build a PC.

I did this because I want to Skyrim to look like this:

[/img]

Got any game recommendations for a real graphics whore that doesn't have a lot of time to invest?
Green_Lantern
Spacecataz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears as though Windows 7 and 8 are the same price...

And http://elitekeyboards.com/

You're welcome.
Anthony_Severino

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green_Lantern wrote:
It appears as though Windows 7 and 8 are the same price....

Where? On Amazon there was a $100 price difference.
Green_Lantern
Spacecataz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just checked newegg really quick, they're both $100 there, and yeah, looks like on amazon 8 is a bit cheaper.
Longo_2_guns
Ruler of the Queen's Navy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing that I rue about upgrading my computer is having to give up XP.

I really, really do not like Windows 7.

Also, good graphics games that require no time investment? I dunno, Metro 2033? Not many PC games don't require some big time time investment.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longo_2_guns wrote:

Also, good graphics games that require no time investment? I dunno, Metro 2033? Not many PC games don't require some big time time investment.

I felt the same way but ended up loving 7 after a while. I'm honestly terrified of Windows 8, but the newness of it does appeal to me. I can't not have new stuff.

Thanks for the game recommendations. I'm sure I'll eventually get into some timesink games, but I don't want to commit to anything just yet, I just got on the market.
De-Ting
Formerly Known as Prince

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longo_2_guns wrote:

o--(^-^)--o
LawnGnome

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything looks good to me except the graphics card. I just don't like the 660ti. It's overpriced for what it does and I don't like the smaller 192-bit memory bus it has. For a bit more you could go with a GTX 670 or HD 7970 for the single card solution. You could get a superclocked/overclocked edition of either with 3 or 4GB of VRAM and it would still cost less than and massively outperform two 660tis in SLI, plus no microstuttering. If you haven't installed it yet, I'd think about returning it for one of the other options.

Also, what monitor are you going with?

As far as shorter graphics whores go, you can max the shit out of Batman: Arkham City.
Anthony_Severino

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, um, the 600Ti was a "gift". So I don't have the option of returning. Although, I'm quite resourceful. I might be able to make something work. Thanks for the advice.

As for a monitor, I'm currently using a 1080p Panasonic Plasma on my current PC. It's not the greatest thing, but I got it for free with the purchase of some furniture.

Batman it is!

LawnGnome wrote:
Everything looks good to me except the graphics card. I just don't like the 660ti. It's overpriced for what it does and I don't like the smaller 192-bit memory bus it has. For a bit more you could go with a GTX 670 or HD 7970 for the single card solution. You could get a superclocked/overclocked edition of either with 3 or 4GB of VRAM and it would still cost less than and massively outperform two 660tis in SLI, plus no microstuttering. If you haven't installed it yet, I'd think about returning it for one of the other options.

Also, what monitor are you going with?

As far as shorter graphics whores go, you can max the shit out of Batman: Arkham City.
LawnGnome

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthony_Severino wrote:
Well, um, the 600Ti was a "gift". So I don't have the option of returning. Although, I'm quite resourceful. I might be able to make something work.

There's actually a pretty healthy secondary market for video cards. You should be able to get at least $200 for a used 660ti, with a new one going for about $300. Once you have the money from that I would personally go for an EVGA GTX 670 4GB SuperClocked which runs about $440, so it still comes in cheaper than buying another 660ti.
MasterRabbi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to PC, the glorious customizable multi-task 108+2axis control tower.

As for little time invest games, Torchlight (1 or 2). You feel awesome from the get-go, and no save point/safe zone concept.
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always welcome to the PC Gods tech race.

drathbone

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much did you spend? I have a $1500 after taxes paycheck coming on the 1st, might finally make the dive into PC gaming and get rid of my consoles.
Green_Lantern
Spacecataz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green_Lantern wrote:
And http://elitekeyboards.com/

You're welcome.

But seriously. I like Reds and Browns.
cyberjim2000
Forum Bum

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't you guys have a Roccat ISKU keyboard laying around somewhere or did Daniel took it home with him? Personally, I think a $20 keyboard works just as fine.
Anthony_Severino

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drathbone wrote:
How much did you spend? I have a $1500 after taxes paycheck coming on the 1st, might finally make the dive into PC gaming and get rid of my consoles.

Including the OS and if I had paid for the graphics card, this would run about $1500. Granted, I did score some Black Friday discounts, so give or take another hundred or so.

Good luck!
LawnGnome

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyberjim2000 wrote:
Personally, I think a $20 keyboard works just as fine.

I'm with you bro. I've owned keyboards & mice that cost over $75 each and have never been that impressed with them. I like to go with the $20 wired keyboard & mouse combos and think of them as disposable. After a couple years when they start to wear out I just toss them and buy a new set.
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a logtiech g15 its the old style blue one. I spent $120 on it but that was a long time ago
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/support/180?crid=411
They have newer versions now like the orange g15 with screen in keyboard, the g19 with color lcd display and now the G510 which is like the g15 but the screen is in the keyboard. The screens are nice because I can have full display of what both my video cards are doing and how many fps im getting.

I also have the Razer Mamba 2012 4g wireless dual optical and laser sensor mouse. I love it.I only spent $100 on it though when I bought it earlier this year
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826153080&Tpk=razer%20mamba

Both high price components that were well worth the money. Ive had the keyboard for 7 years now. Far from disposable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> PC All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: