best pokemon

Tell GR: What is Your Favorite Pokemon of All Time?

In the Pokemon series we’re routinely told that we “gotta catch ’em all,” but what if we could only catch one? There are so many to choose from (over 800, last time we counted), but if Professor Oak was to really put you in a bind and ask you to only pick one to store in your Poke Ball, which one would it be? It’s a tough question, which is why we’re leaning on our GameRevolution readers to find out which one is better than all the rest.

The GameRevolution editorial team have shared their thoughts on the matter, and you can share your own opinions in the comments section below. As always, we’ll feature our favorite in tomorrow’s Tell GR.

Paul Tamburro, executive editor: “Charmander all the way. My very first starter Pokemon and one heck of a good boy, Charmander is like a tiny dragon crossed with a dog and if that doesn’t get your vote, then I don’t know what will. A Pokemon that can literally die if it gets left out in the rain too long

Jason Faulkner, senior editor: “My favorite Pokemon is Psyduck. I always felt really bad for Psyduck because of the anime. The Pokedex description of Psyduck mentions it has frequent migraines in several games, and it just shows how bad of a trainer Misty is that she constantly abused the poor thing. Also, it’s a duck and ducks are cute.”

Mack Ashworth, lead editor: “My favorite Rapidash… It… cute… lovely… smart… plus… amazing… you think so?… oh yes… it… stunning… kindly… love it! Hug it… when… sleeping… warm and cuddly… spectacular… ravishing… …Oops! Look at the time! I kept you too long! Thanks for hearing me out!”

Michael Leri, sub-editor: “My favorite Pokémon is probably Charizard but my favorite Pokémon might be Palossand because it’s so stupid. I did just learn about it like five minutes ago but it’s a literal sand castle that controls humans to build sand castles. That is so hilariously stupid and completely emblematic of how bizarre the late-stage Pokémon are. Before it used to be “Hey what if it was a butterfly?” and now it’s “What if a sand castle had mind control?” They either need to stop making Pokémon or never stop and it’s all thanks to Palossand, which is, if you couldn’t see, also a pun.”

Bradley Russell, sub-editor: “Ninetails has always been my favorite Pokemon. Not only is its original form super adorable, have you SEEN the Alolan version? It also has the whole Japanese kitsune mythology link going on, which I always found to be a neat marker for when Game Freak actually put some thought into their designs instead of saying here’s literally a bag of trash or an ice cream. Oh, yeah. AND it can learn Ghost moves. Check and mate.”

Kevin Tucker, guides editor: “MissingNo. has always been a Pokemon that calls out to me on some subconscious level. He’s not really supposed to be there, and yet he is. This mysterious allure made the not-Pokemon one of the more sought-after creatures in the game’s history. For a static-like blur of random pixels, that’s quite the accomplishment. Plus, when he finally shows up to the party, he has a habit of wrecking things and duplicating random items. He’s a wild card, and I respect that.”

Yesterday’s Best Comment

Question: What is the Best Video Game Opening Ever?

Starling: “Mass Effect, immediately throws you into intro sequence that makes Normandy look like a realistically lively spaceship that leads into a mission briefing that immediately starts to go wrong. Which leads into a battle against very alien enemies in a whole new alien world that you haven’t seen in video games before with alien lifeforms and ancient alien artifacts littered everywhere. You get a mystery and plot twists from the get go and it all wraps up nicely when you first get a view of Citadel that you will never forget. 

One could claim ME2 did it better but… Only for the first 5 minutes. Then you wake up in a bland space station fighting the blandest enemy type in the whole series.

I’d say even ME3 did better than ME2 because of it’s shocking first hand experience of Reaper invasion, followed up flex of it’s graphical prowess in the Mars level.

But for me at least the first Mass Effect takes the cake.”

Upcoming Releases

Return to Derceto Manor in this reimagination of Alone in the Dark, a love letter to the 1992 cult classic horror game.
Dragon's Dogma is a single player, narrative driven action-RPG that challenges players to choose their own experience – from the appearance of their Arisen, their vocation, their party, how to approach different situations and more. On your journey, you’ll be joined by Pawns, mysterious otherworldly beings, in an adventure so unique you will feel as if accompanied by other players…
Rise of the Rōnin is a combat focused open-world action RPG that takes place in Japan at a time of great change. It is the very end of a 300-year long Edo Period, commonly known as “Bakumatsu”. Set in the late 19th century, Japan is facing the darkest of times as it struggles with its oppressive rulers and deadly diseases…
The wicked Grape and the Sour Bunch have taken over the Sparkle Theater, and now it's up to Peach and the theater's guardian Stella to save the play––and the day! Peach can transform and use fantastic showstopping abilities to face off against the Sour Bunch. Fend off the Sour Bunch with sensational swordplay as a swordfighter...en garde! In another role,…

Reviews

X