More Reviews
REVIEWS Firefall Review
Repetitive gameplay makes this fall a little boring.

The Walking Dead: Season Two Review
At this point, you’re not coming back for the zombies. Let’s get down to business.
More Previews
PREVIEWS Hyrule Warriors Preview
Nintendo and the brains behind the Dynasty Warriors franchise stress that this game is not part of the main Zelda timeline, but I don’t see why that will keep it from becoming a fan favorite.
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES Madden NFL 15
Release date: Out Now

Destiny
Release date: 09/09/14

FIFA 15
Release date: 09/23/14

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
Release date: 09/30/14

LATEST FEATURES A Comprehensive Guide to Dealing with Controversy in the Video Game Industry
Need help wading through the latest misogyny/homophobia/racism/corruption debate in the gaming industry? Paul Tamburro’s here to help!

inFamous: First Light Battle Arena Hints, Strategies, Tips [Stream Over]
Watch as I build out our feature of useful tactics for players in Sucker Punch's wave-based and arcade-awesome arena mode.
MOST POPULAR FEATURES The Updating List of PAX Indies
We're heading to PAX Prime! Are you looking to check out a few unique indie games while you're there? UPDATED: Dragon Fin Soup, Dungeon of the Endless,

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP samsmith614 Since game design is a business, I decided to see what's really selling well for the PS4. I did this search a week ago, and at the time, out of the top 20 bestsellers on Amazon 10 had not even been released yet. By now some have been released. But others still have not. And yet others...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
I'm popping my GR forum cherry to get some input on the Wii

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Klandathu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: I'm popping my GR forum cherry to get some input on the Wii Reply with quote

Ok, so earlier today I started reminiscing about all the good times I had with my Gamecube: REmake, Resident Evil 0 (don't worry, I have 4 and Code Veronica on my 360), Viewtiful Joe, Smash Bros., Killer7, Soul Caliber 2, Paper Mario, the LotR games (shut up, I had fun with them), and the list goes on. Unfortunately, I lost my Gamecube and all of my games at some point in the course of a move several years ago. I never got over it, but I moved on. As I said, I started jonesin' for some of those games again so I hopped on eBay in an attempt at finding a Gamecube and the games I'm looking for on the cheap.

Whilst perusing the various eBay listings, the occasional auction for a Wii (the original) would come up with the bids being at pretty low prices (like, fifty or sixty bucks). One listing I saw had a Wii with all the trimmings, with more than a dozen downloaded games: classic NES, SNES, N64, and Genesis games, for like $70. That being said, the Wii has officially piqued my interest, primarily due to the fact that I can play these wonderful games of yester-year, and also play my favorite Gamecube games on it.

My question to you is this: should I spend the $20-ish on a Gamecube, and like $5 apiece on the games just to play Gamecube games, or should I go the extra distance and pick up a Wii ($50-$60, on most eBay listings I'm seeing) so I can play the classics as well?

I'm leaning towards the Wii (given how cheap they are now), but I'm not sure. Plus, there ARE a couple of Wii games that I've legitimately enjoyed playing.

What it's really boiling down to is money vs. convenience. What do you think?
used44

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I say go the wii route, if you can swing it. The virtual console is great for grabbing those classics. Sega stuff too!

But make sure to get a GameCube controller while you're at it.
WickedLiquid
In Limbo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a Wii and like Used said get a Gamecube controller (there is a port on the Wii for GC controllers).

There are also some awesome games on the Wii that you could try out down the road once you get your GC fix out of the way.
MattAY
Posh B**tard

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say the Wii. Like Used said, not only have you got Gamecube games, you'll have access to the real classics. Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda, Alien Soldier etc via Virtual Console. Then there are some Wii games that are very fun, Mario Galaxy and SSBB to name a few.

It'll be worth the extra money in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums, by the way! I always enjoy your front page stuff.
213EDD

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums, I however think you should go with neither approach.

http://dolphin-emu.org/

Good day
*tips hat*
De-Ting
Formerly Known as Prince

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care what you do, just be sure to get Mario Kart Double Dash, some bros, and have the time of your life.

o--(^-^)--o
danielrbischoff

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klandathu! Good to see you made the jump into the scary part of the site!

Get that Wii NOW, and then buy yourself some component cables so you can have both GC and Wii games at their best possible fidelity.
LinksOcarina
The Anti-Fanboy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

De-Ting wrote:
I don't care what you do, just be sure to get Mario Kart Double Dash, some bros, and have the time of your life.

Pretty much.

Although I say go for a Wii, right now, and pick up a gamecube controller to play some of the better Wii games on the market.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm seeing the community consensus is pretty much "get a Wii." As soon as I have a couple of extra bucks lying around, it will be my next purchase. Thanks for the input all!
Wes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, getting a Wii makes the most sense just because it can play GC games AND you can use GC controllers with it.

Also, once you hook your Wii up online you have access to the Virtual Console and all the SNES and N64 classics you can download onto your Wii.

So if you don't have such classics like Super Metroid, Super Mario RPG or Majora's Mask now you can check em out! By owning a Wii, you're able to pretty much play any and every Nintendo game you like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> Nintendo All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: