More Reviews
REVIEWS LittleBigPlanet 3 Review
Developed mostly by Sumo Digital, this is the first LBP main numbered title to be developed outside of parent studio Media Molecule's hands. Without a guiding hand on the tiller, does it sink or swim?

Far Cry 4 Review
The open world of Far Cry 4 is wondrous, but is the beauty of Kyrat only skin-deep?
More Previews
PREVIEWS Silence: The Whispered World II Preview
With its absolutely gorgeous sequel, Daedalic aims to create a mid-range difficulty adventure title that will expand the genre to a larger audiences.
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions
Release date: 11/25/14

Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD Remix
Release date: 12/02/14

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN-
Release date: 12/16/14

Kalimba
Release date: 12/17/14

LATEST FEATURES With Two Paths to Walk This Fall, I Recommend Assassins Play AC Unity Over AC Rogue
For fans of this series, it'll be a decision based on hardware. For enthusiasts, returning to the brand's roots will prove enticing.

Nintendo Download November 2014 - Updating Each Week
If you've got credit on Nintendo's digital eShop service or expect to receive a gift card this holiday season, start making your list with our weekly updates.
MOST POPULAR FEATURES Xbox Downloads October 2014 - Updating Each Week
Microsoft's Xbox One console continues an Xbox Live revolution started over a decade ago. Here's hoping Summer of Arcade makes it to the platform next year.

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP oblivion437
Wish List for Fallout 4
By oblivion437
Posted on 11/24/14
So I promised that list and here it is.  It's late and it's not as thorough as I'd hoped.  I also wish I had images handy to illustrate every point where helpful.  So, in no particular order - a subjective set of desired features for Fallout 4: Things to...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Having some feezing issues with my PS3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
C_nate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Having some feezing issues with my PS3 Reply with quote

So I've had my old, fat ps3 for a while now and it's been fine until recently.

I don't play that many games on it anymore, but it has been the default blu-ray player for us for a while now (It was cheaper than the cheapest blu-ray player back then)

A couple of days ago after watching a movie and quitting playback to return to the ps3 menu, the system froze up forcing a manual restart. When it started back up it said something may have been corrupted, needs to do a scan or whatever. So the first time I did it and nothing was wrong.

After watching another movie on it, it froze again. This time I skipped the scan stuff and it went back to normal.

Anyway, this is happening even when switching discs along with stopping playback. After restarting the machine, it will prompt to check for corrupted files. Telling it yes or no will just eventually get you back to the main menu and everything works again no problem.

Any idea on what is causing this and what can be done to fix it?
danielrbischoff

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know. You could take it to someone who advertises to do fixes and mods on Craigslist or something. Maybe look up tutorials online to find a solution?

Really I think it's just old, poorly made hardware that's time has come.
http://www.gamerevolution.com/review/wwe-2k15-ps4-xone
Bretimus_v2
The Japazillian Dynasty

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dust...lots and lots of dust. I'm in the same boat and it sucks. Craigslist fix-it guy if you dare. Or a Sony repair or swap.

madster111
The Original Pie Lover

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Original hard drive?

BarackObama,Putin,DavidCameron,XiJinpingAndseveralothers wrote:
Song of the year, every year.
C_nate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I replaced it with a 320gb hd a couple of years ago. Never gave me any trouble until now.

I hope it isn't dying. My PS2 still fires up like a champ so to see the PS3 die before that one would be pretty sad (as in pathetic)

Guess I'll have to start searching around for repair guys. Thanks for the replies.
madster111
The Original Pie Lover

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a dying HDD, personally. Same issue a PC with bad sectors has. If you have another 2.5" laying around i'd swap that in for a bit and see if it helps at all.

If it doesn't help, don't just send it away to be repaired while it's still working. Start slowly saving up some money and if/when the issue gets worse, it'll feel like less of a hit if you have the money ready for it, if you even want to fix it. Standalone blu-ray players are cheap now if you don't game on it much.

Also doesn't hurt to clean some of the dust out of it to see if it might be a heat issue. PS3s produce a surprising amount of heat when idle and if you've just finished a 2hr stint and it's full of dust it might get hot enough to force restart.

UrbanMasque
Don't Feed Him

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look mate, don't blame the PS3 for your dusty household, alright.

Does it sound like its running harder? PS3s usually run pretty quiet. Got a pressurized air cleaner - could try that as a cheap solution.

De-Ting wrote:
One-on-one brings out the true nazi in people.

WickedLiquid wrote:
Today I got a restraining order from John Stamos.
Optimus-Crime
bananable

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

god, I've had my fat ps3 yellow light of death on me twice already, I cringe everytime I hear that *beep beep beep*.

I would just suggest you use all the hub functions on the ps3. Do not eject discs without heading to the ps3 home menu first, because ps3's have a real problem ejecting anything while they're in the process of cycling.
Let everything stop before ejecting, and use the PS3's Internet Browser only if you really need to.
this sucker is far too delicate, so just take everything nice and slow.
De-Ting
Formerly Known as Prince

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Optimus-Crime wrote:
Do not eject discs without heading to the ps3 home menu first
That's pretty much what you should have already been doing with every game system ever. Don't eject disks while they're playing, bro.

o--(^-^)--o
Optimus-Crime
bananable

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't even eject at the DVD's menu anymore (or a game's). I back out all the way to PS Home before ejecting. It's the safest way, but PS3's are finicky so who knows.
spartan317

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and this sir's is why I never purchased a PS3
De-Ting
Formerly Known as Prince

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spartan317 wrote:
You have bad grammar?

o--(^-^)--o
madster111
The Original Pie Lover

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spartan317 wrote:

I bought a 6 year old PS3, don't pay attention to what temp it is, and switch it off at the power supply almost all the time because the touch sensitive buttons are crap.

Never had a single problem.

spartan317

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize Ting you pretentious bassterd...

and yes I apparently haz grhamer issues...
Optimus-Crime
bananable

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madster, you're one of the lucky ones. Having mine YLOD on me twice is pretty much why my PS3 library is so low. Can't imagine I'll buy a PS4.
madster111
The Original Pie Lover

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Optimus-Crime wrote:
Madster, you're one of the lucky ones. Having mine YLOD on me twice is pretty much why my PS3 library is so low. Can't imagine I'll buy a PS4.

Honestly, i think there's a good case to be made for the electricity contributing to the problem. It seems to me that you guys in the US/Canada have a noticeably higher failure rate when compared to Aus. We still get YLOD and RROD but nowhere near as bad as the problems you guys have, and the only difference i can figure out is the electricity. North American electricity is 110v/60hz, while we run 240v/50hz.
I think there might be something in that, causing a higher failure rate for you guys. Maybe the little voltage fluctuations do more wear & tear at the higher amps you guys run, and especially for the PS3, power supplies are more efficient on 240v than 110v, so they produce less heat.

I don't know. What i do know is that we shouldn't expect this to change any time soon. Sony and Microsoft have to use the cheapest parts possible to keep the prices down, and when combined with high heat components you start seeing failures. If they built the next gen of consoles to last, they would be at mid-range PC prices and nobody would buy them. Take the first gen PS3 for example.

C_nate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I gave the ps3 a good blowing (giggity) and it seems to have helped a bit. Me and the kids watched the recently re-released blu-ray of Finding Nemo for like the 50th time already and it didn't freeze after the movie was done and I ended playback and went to the ps3 menu. Popped in a couple of games and no problems either. In any case, I'll probably end up getting a regular blu-ray player and move the ps3 to the other room and retire it from blu-ray service since the players are so cheap now compared to what they used to be.

As for Sony products, I've been pretty lucky with them. I bought a refurbished PS2 at EB, I can't even remember how many years ago, and it still runs like the day I bought it. This ps3 I've had for quite a few years now and it never gave me any problems until this recent one.
used44

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

De-Ting wrote:
Optimus-Crime wrote:
Do not eject discs without heading to the ps3 home menu first
That's pretty much what you should have already been doing with every game system ever. Don't eject disks while they're playing, bro.

I remember constantly forgetting to push the "eject" plate on the SNES before yanking the carts out. My friend would always get all mad at me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> Sony All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: