More Reviews
REVIEWS Boo Bunny Plague Review
If you think you can enjoy the definition of budget game design, this one might make you laugh.

Minimum Review
With so many shooters crowding the marketplace, it’s refreshing to see Minimum take the low-fi route through Steam Early Access.
More Previews
PREVIEWS Halo: The Master Chief Collectio Preview
Microsoft and 343 Industries want to bring the entire Halo saga to Xbox One and this collection does exactly that with new graphics for Halo 2.
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
Release date: 09/30/14

Alien: Isolation
Release date: 10/07/14

The Evil Within
Release date: 10/14/14

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
Release date: 10/14/14

LATEST FEATURES Sunset Overdrive Co-op Is a Thrill Ride and a Half: TGS Multiplayer Hands-On
I play a co-op round of Sunset Overdrive with seven other people at the Tokyo Game Show.

Ori and the Blind Forest is Enchanting as Hell If Hell Were Magical as Shit [TGS Hands-On]
I want to protect her. It. Him. That. That thing. Ori.
MOST POPULAR FEATURES The Updating List of PAX Indies
We're heading to PAX Prime! Are you looking to check out a few unique indie games while you're there? UPDATED: Dragon Fin Soup, Dungeon of the Endless,

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP shandog137 Background: I own and have completed every entry in the Ninja Storm series, so there is inherent bias but luckily this isn’t a review. These are just my thoughts on a fun series I chose to pick up after my Dragon Ball Z Budokai days. I am also only about 3 episodes behind in the...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
I've never been a PC gamer...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MattAY
Posh B**tard

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: I've never been a PC gamer... Reply with quote

...but I've always been tempted. Seeing my friends use one growing up made me a little jealous. I would often see him playing Deus Ex and watch him play for literally hours.

Now...tempt me...what's the cheapest shit I can get? And what games do I go for first?! Knowing that I'm an RPG whore, but not keen on those MMOROPGMROPOFORPRPGGGRPOGs.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indie games don't require much from your hardware and there are a couple indie RPGs on Steam like Breath of Death that might scratch an old-school itch.
used44

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got a laptop capable of running low-mid spec games. I've been meaning to get a Steam account and download The Binding of Isaac.

Last edited by used44 on Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Lien
Die Hard Commie Bastard

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skipping MMORPG because of the concept then the game is a mistake every gamers made at least once in their lives.

Now, i strongly suggest you look into the steam sales right now and do check if you can run it before you decide on a purchase.

If you got the systems, i strongly suggest Skyrim and the X-com games. But assuming your PC specs ain't up to par and you already got those games on your consoles, then let me suggest dungeon crawlers RPG like torchlight 2. If you still can't, then look into indie games like binding of Isaac, the underated To the moon or even FTL. And since you haven't been cursed with the "PC nostalgia" that folks assume is a "good" thing, may i recommend (before this thread will be swimming in hate replies) Diablo 3 and Mass Effect 3? Please hide your head in the sand and don't listen to the haters, they are both incredible games worthy of your time and purchase.
You can't blame your desire to have a homoerotic orgy on pot.
Guan_Yu
I live in a giant bucket )))-:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Witcher 2
Dragon Age Origins

Both are on sale on Steam right now.

God shave the queen.
cyberjim2000
Forum Bum

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you a graphics whore, MattAY? If not, then you need to play Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 (Bioware's first RPGs), Fallout 1 and 2, Neverwinter Nights, Deus Ex with graphic mods, and Planescape Torment. There's also Recettear, Fortune Summoners, and the Ys series if you're into JRPGs that are a little different.
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing games on a good pc giving you 60fps and better graphics is well worth the experience.

The new Deus Ex human revolution is pretty good. If you have a new nvidia gpu, borderlands 2 is worth checking out just for its physx. Max payne 3, Battlefield 3, Batman Arkhum City(Another one that is awesome with nvidia physx) and of course skyrim with extra graphics mods and such(Or even just turning on high quality Ambient Occlusion) and getting a solid FPS.

If your looking for a good free to play Tribes Ascend is a hell of a lot of fun.

If your into strategic games, Starcraft 2 of course(I actually like the first one better but people dont agree with me)
C_nate

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC gaming is a lot of fun, but there is also a lot of unnecessary bullshit that goes along with it too. Everyone knows about DRM and to avoid it but what if you can't?. Like, hey I just bought this box copy of Skyrim or New Vegas or X-Com or a bunch of other games....Why is it making me install it on Steam? I don't want to install it on Steam, I just want to put it on my HD and play the goddamn game.

Anyway, mini rant aside, there a lots of good rpgs for the PC. I don't know if you like old school games but here are a few that I have

Shadows of Yserbius
D&D Eye of the Beholder
Betrayal at Krondor
Baldur's Gate 1&2

A little more recent you have a bunch that people have posted already like Dragon Age Origins and Skyrim

Probably the best thing about PC gaming is the modding community which makes all kind of amazing things for various games.
Lien
Die Hard Commie Bastard

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sourdeez wrote:
If your looking for a good free to play Tribes Ascend is a hell of a lot of fun.

May i also recommend Planetscape 2? GR also claimed a server, check it out!
You can't blame your desire to have a homoerotic orgy on pot.
FrozenBacon
100% sexy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most MMOs are shit because they forget about the role-playing part of the game. These days it appears that all a game needs is levels and stats to be considered a RPG.

Anyway, if you are into RPGs, you should definitely get the witcher 2. Skyrim is also excellent on the PC because of mods. Get acquainted with steam, they have crazy deals during holidays. You can get the withcer 2 for $7.49 and skyrim for $30 today. Diablo 3 is fun if all you want to do is destroy large hordes of demons.

The area PC really shines over consoles are RTS games, though. RTS is pretty much impossible to do on the console because of controllers. Starcraft. the total war series, and age of empires are some of the good ones.
madster111
The Original Pie Lover

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

£400 laptop / £250 desktop.

That'll do Morroblivion with decent settings, and then go spend £30 at GoG and play tons of games that are vastly superior to the shit we get on consoles these days.
£400 desktop should do Skyrim and New Vegas with decent settings.
I did £ instead of typing quid this time, despite typing it being quicker and easier than going 'gbp' into google and copy+pasting.

BarackObama,Putin,DavidCameron,XiJinpingAndseveralothers wrote:
Song of the year, every year.
Sightless

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just get Torchlight II so you can play with me. Wink
I sprinkle sand into the waters of night. The grains burn as they fall, reminding me of another in times long passed away. I watched him even then as he fell, his face undefeated, his eyes still proud.
MattAY
Posh B**tard

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha £400 is my laptop - good quess maddy.

Liking the suggestions. Baldur's Gate caught my eye to be honest - I may check that out first. I think I need to buy a mouse...

I'm not a graphics whore to be honest. And I must admit the idea of playing minecraft with community mods has always made me jealous. If I actually do that I'd be a happy soldier!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo. I did it. Bought The Binding of Isaac and played it a little last night. Super fun, super challenging. It's taking some effort to re-establish familiarity with keyboard controls. But it's fun to be gaming on PC again.

I'm a real boy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> PC All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: