More Reviews
REVIEWS Boo Bunny Plague Review
If you think you can enjoy the definition of budget game design, this one might make you laugh.

Minimum Review
With so many shooters crowding the marketplace, it’s refreshing to see Minimum take the low-fi route through Steam Early Access.
More Previews
PREVIEWS Halo: The Master Chief Collectio Preview
Microsoft and 343 Industries want to bring the entire Halo saga to Xbox One and this collection does exactly that with new graphics for Halo 2.
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
Release date: 09/30/14

Alien: Isolation
Release date: 10/07/14

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
Release date: 10/14/14

The Evil Within
Release date: 10/14/14


LATEST FEATURES Sunset Overdrive Co-op Is a Thrill Ride and a Half: TGS Multiplayer Hands-On
I play a co-op round of Sunset Overdrive with seven other people at the Tokyo Game Show.

Ori and the Blind Forest is Enchanting as Hell If Hell Were Magical as Shit [TGS Hands-On]
I want to protect her. It. Him. That. That thing. Ori.
MOST POPULAR FEATURES The Updating List of PAX Indies
We're heading to PAX Prime! Are you looking to check out a few unique indie games while you're there? UPDATED: Dragon Fin Soup, Dungeon of the Endless,

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP shandog137 Background: I own and have completed every entry in the Ninja Storm series, so there is inherent bias but luckily this isn’t a review. These are just my thoughts on a fun series I chose to pick up after my Dragon Ball Z Budokai days. I am also only about 3 episodes behind in the...

 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Which Nintendo character could surpass Mario?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> Nintendo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
used44



Joined: 08 Mar 2002
Posts: 20815

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people think Link's name is Zelda. Everyone knows Mario.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Optimus-Crime
bananable


Joined: 03 Mar 2012
Posts: 1074

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King Koopa starring in his very own game. Surprised it hasn't already been done.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
MattAY
Posh B**tard


Joined: 02 Mar 2006
Posts: 12304

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

used44 wrote:
Most people think Link's name is Zelda.


Annoys me when people do that! Zelda is a girls name!
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
spartan317



Joined: 06 Dec 2005
Posts: 596

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see how Samus hasn't either by the way...

an over weight italian plumber who spends a copious amount of time eating various types of mushrooms and flowering plants

versus

an interstellar explorer in power armor and spandex jammies that is possibly one of the hottest females in the gaming world...
_________________
Icepick wrote:
Once she let me stick it in her ass I left her, I accomplished what I wanted
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Anthony_Severino



Joined: 14 Oct 2010
Posts: 101

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattAY wrote:
Crash Bandicoot beats everyone - it doesnt really matter.


I really just came here to downvote this. Carry on.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MattAY
Posh B**tard


Joined: 02 Mar 2006
Posts: 12304

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure he knew I was joking, carrying on!

spartan317 wrote:
I don't see how Samus hasn't either by the way...

an over weight italian plumber who spends a copious amount of time eating various types of mushrooms and flowering plants

versus

an interstellar explorer in power armor and spandex jammies that is possibly one of the hottest females in the gaming world...


As a kid, girls have cooties.
Plus, I wasnt aware Samus was a girl until I was older.
I certainly agree, she is much cooler than Mario though.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Anthony_Severino



Joined: 14 Oct 2010
Posts: 101

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are too clever for me. Admittedly, I though you were fo shizzle. (I think that roughly translates to serious).

Now I feel even stupider, having realized he's not a Nintendo character.

Please, do not look at that man behind the curtain. I am the great and powerful oz!

MattAY wrote:
Not sure he knew I was joking, carrying on!

spartan317 wrote:
I don't see how Samus hasn't either by the way...

an over weight italian plumber who spends a copious amount of time eating various types of mushrooms and flowering plants

versus

an interstellar explorer in power armor and spandex jammies that is possibly one of the hottest females in the gaming world...


As a kid, girls have cooties.
Plus, I wasnt aware Samus was a girl until I was older.
I certainly agree, she is much cooler than Mario though.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spartan317



Joined: 06 Dec 2005
Posts: 596

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its ok we understand that anything not Sony confuses and frightens you sir...
_________________
Icepick wrote:
Once she let me stick it in her ass I left her, I accomplished what I wanted
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Anthony_Severino



Joined: 14 Oct 2010
Posts: 101

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spartan317 wrote:
Its ok we understand that anything not Sony confuses and frightens you sir...


This is appropriate and deserving.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
used44



Joined: 08 Mar 2002
Posts: 20815

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Anthony quote-replied correctly for once.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WickedLiquid
In Limbo


Joined: 18 Mar 2009
Posts: 6760

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody will ever top Mario in Nintendo's universe. It might sound strange to us but we play video games. Everyone knows Mario, he's as common as Homer Simpson.
_________________
Lethean wrote:
I'm just going to ban everyone for 24 hours.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spartan317



Joined: 06 Dec 2005
Posts: 596

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pikachu? Hasn't the little yellow rat earned it by then
_________________
Icepick wrote:
Once she let me stick it in her ass I left her, I accomplished what I wanted
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Optimus-Crime
bananable


Joined: 03 Mar 2012
Posts: 1074

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miyamoto and Nintendo future proofed the Zelda series by putting Mario on the back burner during the N64 era. Even though the Zelda series already had a cult following of its own, focusing development and time on Zelda at this point pushed the series over the top. Since then Nintendo's been able to print money easily with Zelda titles and merchandising, the same way they could with Mario, a lesson learned from releasing Super Mario All-Stars on the SNES.

Not counting Yoshi's Island or Mario All-Stars, consider the time from SNES Super Mario World to Mario 64...then to Paper Mario. Those are huge gaps of time in between titles, and that's if you consider Paper Mario a "pure" Mario title and not some offshoot...then you'd have to go all the way to Sunshine on GC.
So you'd have to retire Mario titles for a while if you really wanted to do this, and you'd have to have the Nintendo muscle that would've worked on Mario titles to work on whatever game you have supplanting Mario. That's a lot of work when you could just release some downloadable retroware or boxed anniversary editions of Mario to keep his name in good standing with the casuals. But, hell, even the casuals know Mario titles are cliche, and there's actually nothing wrong with that. Better a AAA Mario title than Sonic Adventures 3 ... or Pac-Land 2. Pong 3D. blechh
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
drathbone



Joined: 19 May 2011
Posts: 391

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattAY wrote:
used44 wrote:
Most people think Link's name is Zelda.


Annoys me when people do that! Zelda is a girls name!


http://www.dorkly.com/e/25177
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MattAY
Posh B**tard


Joined: 02 Mar 2006
Posts: 12304

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^Hahahaha!
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
used44



Joined: 08 Mar 2002
Posts: 20815

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha. That's pretty good.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
yorky
Mister Modest Mormon


Joined: 16 May 2002
Posts: 2752

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Optimus-Crime wrote:
Miyamoto and Nintendo future proofed the Zelda series by putting Mario on the back burner during the N64 era. Even though the Zelda series already had a cult following of its own, focusing development and time on Zelda at this point pushed the series over the top. Since then Nintendo's been able to print money easily with Zelda titles and merchandising, the same way they could with Mario, a lesson learned from releasing Super Mario All-Stars on the SNES.

Not counting Yoshi's Island or Mario All-Stars, consider the time from SNES Super Mario World to Mario 64...then to Paper Mario. Those are huge gaps of time in between titles, and that's if you consider Paper Mario a "pure" Mario title and not some offshoot...then you'd have to go all the way to Sunshine on GC.
So you'd have to retire Mario titles for a while if you really wanted to do this, and you'd have to have the Nintendo muscle that would've worked on Mario titles to work on whatever game you have supplanting Mario. That's a lot of work when you could just release some downloadable retroware or boxed anniversary editions of Mario to keep his name in good standing with the casuals. But, hell, even the casuals know Mario titles are cliche, and there's actually nothing wrong with that. Better a AAA Mario title than Sonic Adventures 3 ... or Pac-Land 2. Pong 3D. blechh

Word on the street is that they (Nintendo) are taking a bit of a break from Mario this year and focusing on Luigi. Granted, it's one year, but Luigi has piggybacked on Mario long enough to have a general familiarity going on. It'll be pretty much impossible for him to ever attain "independence" from his redder half (I'll be the first to admit that a game featuring Luigi as the sole protagonist feels like a side story), but it's interesting to see how things will turn out (Luigi's Mansion 2 being the obvious point of reference here).

On a side note, I've always thought a Paper Luigi game would be cool. Remember how Luigi told all about his adventures in the 1000-Year Door? Yeah, it was a joke, but I'd play through that adventure if it were legitimately made.
_________________
Work we must, but the lunch is free.
- Hugh Nibley

Truth - Context = False

teh mormanz!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
Optimus-Crime
bananable


Joined: 03 Mar 2012
Posts: 1074

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I've held a soft spot for Luigi ever since SMB2. That high jump was incredible. I really have to find a way to play Luigi's Mansion. I had so many chances to buy it too :l
I missed out with that one. The more Luigi, the better. But I could do without Walruigi...or whatever that guy's name is. Wario's enough. Walruigi is just pushing it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
nick_olsen



Joined: 17 Apr 2013
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nintendo invested heavily in making Mario their official mascot, so it's hard to believe that they'll ever elevate another character to his status. Beginning in 1985 he's pretty firmly stamped his influence across the entire industry. With as many problems as Nintendo is having with Wii U sales and identity, moving to a new and less ubiquitous mascot now would be incredibly detrimental to their business.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
danielrbischoff



Joined: 13 Nov 2009
Posts: 8891

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nick_olsen wrote:
it's hard to believe that they'll ever elevate another character to his status.

Yeah mostly he's just going to lead the Nintendo family around.
_________________
http://www.gamerevolution.com/review/watch-dogs
http://www.gamerevolution.com/manifesto/gr-strips-14-by-a-nose-25991
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> Nintendo All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum