More Reviews
REVIEWS Cut the Rope: Triple Treat Review
Cutting the ropes has never before made gravity so… pricey.

Faster Than Light: Advanced Edit Review
FTL's Advanced Edition is a natural fit for the iPad. But whatever platform you're playing on, the new content adds depth and variety.
More Previews
PREVIEWS Sniper Elite 3 Preview
Sending bullets through the hate.
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows
Release date: Out Now

Trials Fusion
Release date: Out Now

The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Release date: 04/29/14

Bound by Flame
Release date: 05/09/14

LATEST FEATURES 4 PAX Indie Titles to Look Out For
We've given attention to all the higher profile games at PAX EAST, but now it's time for the indies.

Ouya's Best Games Coming to the Platform
The Kickstarter console is slowly establishing itself with a couple of creative gems on the way.

Coming Soon

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP danielrbischoff
Peace in the Era of Call of Duty
By danielrbischoff
Posted on 04/15/14
In a world dominated by violent media, Americans are no more eager to go to war than they were in the 1980s or the 1960s or the 1940s. Hasn't it always been someone else's problem? The overwhelming majority would rather go on thinking it had nothing to do with them and there...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
So I just upgraded my PC

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lethean
Big Fat Poo Head Who Ignores GR

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:48 am    Post subject: So I just upgraded my PC Reply with quote

Went from...

Q6600
Gigabyte UD3LR
OCZ Titanium DDR2800 (4GB)
GTX 260
WD Black HD

To...

I5 3570K
EVGA GTX 660 SC
G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866 (8GB)
Crucial M4 128GB SSD
Gigabyte Z77X UD3H

Keeping my WD since it really isn't a bad HD and I went over budget anyways...

I *might* use EVGA's step up and get a GTX 670 or 660Ti...Even though I can OC to 660Ti speeds. And Madster don't tell me I should have gone with ATi Razz

Oh and I see a lot of people mention the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - is that one of the best heatsinks to get without spending a ton?

Is your vag the sahara or something? Never seen someone with so much sand in there

Bretimus_v2 wrote:
On the toilet...that's where I read books. If it weren't for twosies, I would be illiterate.

Last edited by Lethean on Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:37 am; edited 1 time in total
madster111
The Original Pie Lover

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should've gone with ATI.

...Seriously though, i've been thinking about switching over with the GTX7xx series. I'm starting to use more programs that utilize CUDA and i've played a couple games on a mates laptop with PhysX turned on, and it actually does make a surprising difference.
Combine that with us finally getting away from the fermi inefficiency and i might be spending a little bit more for a little bit less performance in the future.

As for the 212 EVO, yes it is. I use the TX3 Evo - it's a smaller, cheaper version of the 212, and i can air-cool at 5ghz. At 4.5 it never goes above 55 degrees. Sandy/ivy bridge is ridiculously efficient, and unless you're planning to daily over 5ghz, you really don't need a big cooler. Hell, if i left mine stock clocked and undervolted it, i could run a little passive cooler.

If you get the money later, don't bother with the 660Ti - it's only a small jump. Just go straight to 670 if you need more power, or just wait a while and get a new card when you get a 4K monitor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h8_F-_a6ko
Lethean

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madster111 wrote:
Should've gone with ATI.

...Seriously though, i've been thinking about switching over with the GTX7xx series. I'm starting to use more programs that utilize CUDA and i've played a couple games on a mates laptop with PhysX turned on, and it actually does make a surprising difference.
Combine that with us finally getting away from the fermi inefficiency and i might be spending a little bit more for a little bit less performance in the future.

As for the 212 EVO, yes it is. I use the TX3 Evo - it's a smaller, cheaper version of the 212, and i can air-cool at 5ghz. At 4.5 it never goes above 55 degrees. Sandy/ivy bridge is ridiculously efficient, and unless you're planning to daily over 5ghz, you really don't need a big cooler. Hell, if i left mine stock clocked and undervolted it, i could run a little passive cooler.

If you get the money later, don't bother with the 660Ti - it's only a small jump. Just go straight to 670 if you need more power, or just wait a while and get a new card when you get a 4K monitor.
Yeah the new architecture is so much better. That and the GTX 660 performs admirably well for it's price and I was able to get it for about 30-40 bucks cheaper than a 7870. There isn't much headroom for OCing apparently but they can at least get to 660Ti speeds. I don't think I will step up. Honestly, even to a 670. I'd rather just spend an extra 70 (on top of the 130 to step up to the 670) and SLi the 660. SLi performance is a lot better than it used to be.

Thanks for the input on the cooler. I went a little overbudget on this upgrade so it may wait...Then again I don't want to go through the hassle of taking everything out just to slap a cooler on.

I made some revisions to my upgrade also:

DDR3 1333 is now DDR3 1866
Crucial M4 is now the Vertex 4
Antec Earthwatts 500W PSU is now the Corsair Enthusiast Series TX 750W PSU

Is your vag the sahara or something? Never seen someone with so much sand in there

Bretimus_v2 wrote:
On the toilet...that's where I read books. If it weren't for twosies, I would be illiterate.
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a CORSAIR Hydro Series H80. They are really easy to install if your case will fit them. I had to dremel out part of the back of mine.
$89.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181016

When my friends build systems and need a air cooler at a great price I tell them
XIGMATEK Gaia SD1283 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler $20.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233082

The cooler master COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO is really good to just a few dollars more.

Sli is great when it works. If you ever need help getting yours to work feel free to pm me. Sometimes its as simple as tweaking the sli profile.
madster111
The Original Pie Lover

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^That Xigmatek looks pretty good, too.

I was gonna suggest swapping out the M4 but i didn't know if you'd bought it yet. They're actually fairly slow for SSDs these days. How much more or less is a Samsung 840 series for you? Because they're some of the fastest SSDs on the market, with the 840 Pro being THE fastest on the market.

And good choice on the PSU. Honestly, i recommend corsair PSUs for every build, because i am yet to hear of one failing before the computer is obsolete. Other PSUs may be perfect, reliable and cheaper, but i'd never cheap out on the PSU.

On an almost completely unrelated note, i've been hearing a lot about haswell recently, but the only thing i can think of is... Why?
Sandy/Ivy bridge is so powerful, especially the K versions, that i don't see how intel are going to persuade people to upgrade. Even with next gen RAID SSDs and the HD9xxx & GTX8xx series of cards we won't see a bottleneck, and if we do we can just laugh and overclock some more. My 2500k is running at 4.4ghz these days which gives me a theoretical 900mhz more overclock if i buy a H80 or similar, and yet i never see it even come close to struggling. Sourdeez can attest that not even SLI GTX680s bottleneck the CPU, right? So why would people buy Haswell?
I'm thinking people might just skip right over it and grab Skylake+DDR4 in 2015/2016. That's definitely my plan - late this year i'll grab a GTX770 and do away with my HDDs in favor of RAID SSDs.

Lethean

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it seems the 840 wasn't that much faster and wasn't consistently so but the Pro blew everything away. The pro was also fifty dollars more for the same amount of space Sad Good to hear it about the Corsair. I was going to go full modular and 80 Plus Silver but...Ehh....I don't really need full modular and the difference between silver and bronze from everything I've read is negligible.

I agree completely about Haswell. That seems to be a sentiment shared with a lot of people. It's like okay...That's cool and all but...Why bother?

Bretimus_v2 wrote:
LawnGnome

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Samsung 830 SSD in my current rig and love it, but Samsung is pulling some serious shenanigans with the 840 series. They released the substandard 840 (with its awful triple-layered cells) at the standard price point while seriously jacking up the price on the excellent 840 Pro. They should have just released the Pro as the "840" at a competitive price. I hope more companies don't follow suit.
Lethean

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So newegg has the Samsung 840 PRO 128GB for 119.99 right now. Tempted to pull the trigger on it but I don't really want to go through the hassle of uninstalling my Vertex, packing it up, submitting a return request to Amazon, then waiting for the Pro. I mean, I doubt the performance difference is THAT huge.

Bretimus_v2 wrote:
madster111
The Original Pie Lover

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The performance difference isn't big enough for you to swap out the SSD you already have.

Lethean

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madster111 wrote:
The performance difference isn't big enough for you to swap out the SSD you already have.

Kind of what I was thinking. I love how I need validation on pretty much every decision I make concerning my computer lol..

So this thing is fast! From the post screen it takes about 8-9 seconds to boot into Windows. I love the new Bios interface. No more archaic, blue and white DOS like layout. 3D mode is pretty sweet as well. No idea why my CPU is automatically at 3.8 but hey I won't complain. I'm using Windows 8 and downloaded StartIsBack. Having apps like Bank of America is actually kind of handy when it comes to saving a few steps.

Bretimus_v2 wrote:
madster111
The Original Pie Lover

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't be bothered with Win8 - i'm waiting for the inevitable revision, much like Vista turned into Win7. Might upgrade then, although at the same time i'm so used to Win7 i know where everything in the godmode menu is, so i might just keep it until there's no such thing as desktops or laptops anymore and we're all using flexible tablets and google glass.

Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone who does get Windows 8, They completely removed the start menu.

There is a free program called "Classic Shell" Allows you to bring back all the old functionality. You can choose classic, winxp, or win7 theme and customize it even further if you want.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/classicshell/files/

I actually really like windows 8 pro. Boot and shutdown times are quicker. I just don't like how they didn't ship it with a option to turn the old start menu back on.
And to all those at Microsoft and tech blogs who say "You dont need the start menu your just not familiar with how the new one works" Go fuck yourself. I have my start menu setup in a specific way with programs in specific places. I shouldn't have to pull out of my desktop into a full screen tile interface when my start menu is simple, clean, and works while still using my desktop.

Ive used both interfaces for months now and I understand how each works and while I like the search for anything idea with metro it really is just Microsoft trying to hard to fix something thats not broken at all. Yes this interface works great on my friends tablet but to force desktop users TO HAVE TO USE IT. is fucking bullshit.
Lethean

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I downloaded StartsBack. Works flawlessly.

Bretimus_v2 wrote:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> PC All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: