Mario-Christmas

Tell GR: What’s Your Favorite Game to Play During the Holidays?

The holiday season is a time where many make the pilgrimage home to partake in festive cheer. For others, it’s a time for quiet reflection of the year that’s just passed. For almost everyone, though, there’s a kind of nostalgic melancholy in the air during the month of December which can find its outlet in the rituals we perform each year. Today we asked the GR editors: What’s your favorite game to play during the holiday?

Jason Faulkner, senior editor: I can’t help but want to play Silent Hill 2 and 3 during the holiday season. Maybe it’s because of the foggy, bleak look that Silent Hill has that reminds me of Kentucky during the winter. There’s nothing like bundling up with some blankets and during the lights down while it’s cold outside and settling in for another adventure through Silent Hill.

Mack Ashworth, lead editor: I love me some Call of Duty during the holidays. I know it’s evil, but slaying Christmas Noobs is just too satisfying. Fresh players, with no knowledge of maps or how to play the more exotic game modes, are perfect fodder for those headshot challenges.

Bradley Russell, news editor: I really like returning to some old classics over the holidays. There’s something about the season that just screams nostalgia so, for me, I’m right at home playing something that’s easy to pick up like Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4. The only problem is I’ll probably have early noughties indie rock stuck in my head well into 2019.

Michael Leri, features editor: I don’t have a specific game that I play during the holidays but I do have some sort of a tradition. I usually find a big open-world game or otherwise meaty game to dive into. Typically, it has been Far Cry for some reason. But this year, I’m thinking I’ll either dive back into Red Dead Redemption 2 or plow through some more of the side content in Assassin’s Creed Odyssey or its superior, Assassin’s Creed Origins.

Yesterday’s Best Comment

Question: Who Is Your Main in Smash Ultimate, and Why?

Squiggy: “Smash 64, my main was Link.

Melee, my main was Link.

Brawl, my main was Link.

Project M, wait shit we’re not supposed to mention that one

Smash 3DS and WiiU, my main was Link.

Take a wild guess who’s my main in Ultimate.”

Upcoming Releases

Return to Derceto Manor in this reimagination of Alone in the Dark, a love letter to the 1992 cult classic horror game.
Dragon's Dogma is a single player, narrative driven action-RPG that challenges players to choose their own experience – from the appearance of their Arisen, their vocation, their party, how to approach different situations and more. On your journey, you’ll be joined by Pawns, mysterious otherworldly beings, in an adventure so unique you will feel as if accompanied by other players…
Rise of the Rōnin is a combat focused open-world action RPG that takes place in Japan at a time of great change. It is the very end of a 300-year long Edo Period, commonly known as “Bakumatsu”. Set in the late 19th century, Japan is facing the darkest of times as it struggles with its oppressive rulers and deadly diseases…
The wicked Grape and the Sour Bunch have taken over the Sparkle Theater, and now it's up to Peach and the theater's guardian Stella to save the play––and the day! Peach can transform and use fantastic showstopping abilities to face off against the Sour Bunch. Fend off the Sour Bunch with sensational swordplay as a swordfighter...en garde! In another role,…

Reviews

X