Castlevania Tell GR

Tell GR: What’s Your Favorite Anime This Season?

Yesterday, we asked you what you thought of Soulja Boy’s foray into the gaming industry. Like our editors you all thought it was a folly doomed to failure (and possible legal repercussions).

We’re switching gears today into a topic that’s completely different: anime. Whether you love it or hate it, anime is becoming more and more influential in Western culture. Properties like Battle Angel Alita and Ghost in the Shell have been adapted into big budget (but mostly terrible) films by Hollywood, and anime is far from the niche topic it was 20 years ago.

Today we asked our editors: What’s your favorite anime this season? Remember to leave your answer in the comments for a chance to be featured in tomorrow’s Tell GR!

Jason Faulkner, senior editor: I’m not usually into idol anime/manga, but this fall I’ve been watching ZombieLand Saga. I’m not even sure why I like it, but something about those poor zombified girls just tugs at my heartstrings. Besides that I’ve been watching Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure: Golden Wind, which has been much better so far than Diamond is Unbreakable. I love Josuke and Koichi and all them, but man, nothing really happened in Diamond is Unbreakable. I’ve also been watching Goblin Slayer, which has been hit or miss from week to week. It weird that the first episode was so controversial, because since then it’s been a pretty straightforward fantasy adventure. I guess the heavy western fantasy influence makes it pretty unique amongst its peers though.

Mack Ashworth: Lead Editor: I’m afraid I’ve not yet dabbled in any anime this season, or any season for that matter! While I can absolutely see myself getting lost in some of the series that I’ve heard about, I haven’t been able to dedicate any time to them. Games and movies get most of my attention, mainly because I can share the enjoyment with my partner. With that said, I think it’s great that anime has exploded in the way that it has, and I eagerly await any must-watch recommendations from my colleagues and the GR audience! – Mack

Bradley Russell, news editor: 2018 was the year I came a card-carrying weeb, but it’s very hard to choose my favourite anime this season. I guess Steins;Gate 0 just misses out on the “season” even though I think it’s up there with some of the very best TV this decade (seriously), so I’ll plump for Sword Art Online: Alicization. It’s doing some really interesting things with time and its video game-esque worlds this year- a massive improvement on whatever the hell Gun Gale Online was- and it’s also exploring some really dark themes without holding back. Let’s hope SAO continues on this upward trend heading into 2019. – Bradley

Michael Leri, features editor: Pfft, anime? If I wanted to watch a poorly drawn soap opera with bad hair… well, I’d watch an anime because that’s what it is. Wait. Is Netflix’s Castlevania an anime? Have I been duped? If so, my whole life is a lie. – Michael

Yesterday’s Best Comment

Question: What Do You Make of Soulja Boy’s ‘New’ Consoles?

bigtruckseriesreview: “It’s basically a cheap, Chinese-made copyright-infringing emulator machine that is no different from all the garbage being sold on Canal Street and Chinatown for less than $30.

I just gotta wonder: WHEN IS THE CEASE & DESIST LAWSUIT coming?

What’s sad is I really would be happy to own a quality product that could store so many games – which is the only reason I bother with Wii virtual console and Playstation 3’s library of Turbographyx 16 and Sega games.

But this is a bad joke.

With a lawsuit at the end of the rainbow.”

Upcoming Releases

Return to Derceto Manor in this reimagination of Alone in the Dark, a love letter to the 1992 cult classic horror game.
Rise of the Rōnin is a combat focused open-world action RPG that takes place in Japan at a time of great change. It is the very end of a 300-year long Edo Period, commonly known as “Bakumatsu”. Set in the late 19th century, Japan is facing the darkest of times as it struggles with its oppressive rulers and deadly diseases…
The wicked Grape and the Sour Bunch have taken over the Sparkle Theater, and now it's up to Peach and the theater's guardian Stella to save the play––and the day! Peach can transform and use fantastic showstopping abilities to face off against the Sour Bunch. Fend off the Sour Bunch with sensational swordplay as a swordfighter...en garde! In another role,…
Dragon's Dogma is a single player, narrative driven action-RPG that challenges players to choose their own experience – from the appearance of their Arisen, their vocation, their party, how to approach different situations and more. On your journey, you’ll be joined by Pawns, mysterious otherworldly beings, in an adventure so unique you will feel as if accompanied by other players…

Reviews

X