GR Most Anticipated Games of 2019

GameRevolution’s Most Anticipated Games of 2019

It’s the end of the year, and it’s time to look forward to gaming in 2019. While we’ve had an excellent year’s worth of games in 2018, it looks like next year might be even better. We asked the GR staff which games they’re most rabidly anticipating and why. These are our most anticipated games of 2019.

Paul Tamburro, executive editor – Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order

rumor first details respawn studios jedi fallen order leak

Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order. It’s a game we know very little about right now, aside from it being set shortly after Revenge of the Sith and featuring a young, surviving Padawan. The Star Wars license has received some disappointing video game adaptations recently, but a story-driven adventure helmed by Respawn Entertainment is exactly my cup of tea. Titanfall 2‘s single-player campaign was a breath of fresh air, with Respawn really nailing player movement to create thrilling, fluid action sequences. Imagine that kinda verticality in a Star Wars game? Hopefully, EA doesn’t decide to can this one.

Jason Faulkner, senior editor – Resident Evil 2 remake

Resident Evil 2 Remake System Requirements

I’m ready for that Resident Evil 2 remake, baybee. I’m not sure if I’ve ever been this hype for a game before. I love the original, and Resident Evil is one of my favorite universes in gaming. I can’t wait to explore all the nooks and crannies of the remake RPD and see what all has changed. Less than a month to release, and I’m shakin’.

Mack Ashworth, lead editor – Dying Light 2

ps plus

If Dying Light 2 does indeed end up releasing in 2019, then that gets my pick. I had an absolute blast with the original game and The Following expansion, which both provided a fresh (enough) take on the zombie survival theme. I’m looking forward to using more advanced parkour moves, coupled with the actually useful and interesting abilities in the progression tree, as well as rare and imaginative weapons to take down more enemies.

I’m hoping Techland improves on the story, but that is a minor point in a title where gameplay is the main attraction. Co-op with four (or more!) players should absolutely make a return, as navigating the world with friends really enhances the whole experience. Oh, and traversing the map during the night should hopefully be made even scarier, with improvements to enemy AI and some new big bads! The same level of post-release support would also be greatly appreciated, as Techland really nailed that with the original.

Bradley Russell, news editor – Kingdom Hearts 3

Kingdom Hearts 3. Not only it is my most anticipated game of 2019, it might be most anticipated game ever. Period. It’s weaved so many disparate threads into a rollercoaster of a semi-convoluted plot, sure, but we’re finally at the end. And what a ride it’s been.

The entire series has been a masterclass in pacing and offering up mysteries before tantalizingly dripfeeding you answers, and I expect this to be no different. Plus, there’s the added bonus of a few of the new worlds being ones I’ve wanted to roam around in with Sora, Goofy, and Donald for literally years now. There won’t be a dry eye in the house when the end credits roll and Don’t Think Twice starts playing. What other games can you say is going to make you cry before you’ve even played it?

Michael Leri, features editor – Mortal Kombat 11

Mortal Kombat 11 System Requirements

Given that I’ve already watched the reveal trailer over a dozen times, it has to be Mortal Kombat 11. While we can debate about the admittedly tacky rap songs that NetherRealm seems to choose, the trailers usually have a good indication of what the game will look like in action. And this trailer was particularly slick, given all the bone-crunching punches and disturbing finger bending that looked like sneaky hints at what is to come. NetherRealm has created some genre-defining games over the decade (aside from Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe) and I have faith that the studio will crank out yet another awesome fighter.

Kevin Tucker, guides editor – Resident Evil 2 remake

Resident Evil 2 remake Preview Leon RPD

As far as 2019 video game releases go, nothing has me more excited than the remake of Resident Evil 2. Some may find it odd to be so excited about the remake of a 20-year-old game, but Leon and Claire’s romp through Raccoon City was among my favorite adventures from relatively early on in my gaming career.

Besides nostalgia value, going back over the old game gives Capcom another chance to shake up the Resident Evil formula following all the lessons learned from both Resident Evil 6 and 7. If the development team gets it right, Resident Evil 2 could manage to set a new standard for the survival horror genre a full two decades after its original inception.

Robert N. Adams, contributing writer – Metro Exodus

metro exodus

I’m really looking forward to Metro Exodus in 2019. I absolutely adored the first two games as classic first-person shooter experiences, but I couldn’t shake the nagging feeling that it might just work better in an open world. Metro Exodus is going to be a lot less linear and I’m excited to see what we can do with our newfound freedom in the harsh Russian wilderness.

Chris Capel, contributing writer – Doom Eternal

Beyond anything, my most anticipated game for next year (assuming it comes next year) is Doom Eternal. I’m addicted to the Doom series and there’s not an entry in the franchise I haven’t played and lusted after. Eternal is everything I could possibly want in a videogame: imaginative monsters, wild guns, well-designed levels, and intense carnage. Oh, and my favorite Doom demon, the Arch-Vile, is coming back at last. My life will be complete.

Matt Leonard, contributing writer – Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Sekiro Shadows Die Twice Switch

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice is my most anticipated game of 2019 because it is a new From Software game. Specifically it is a new Hidetaka Miyazaki-directed From Software game. I love the Souls games, and everything I’m seeing about this game has me excited. It’s also part of this weird recursive thing where Souls inspired Nioh and now we’re getting a From Software “samurai Souls” game. I’m hyped as can be.

Cian Maher, contributing writer – The Last of Us Part 2

The Last of Us is one of my favorite games ever, but I have a complicated relationship with it. I got Platinum on PS4, which required quite a few playthroughs due to having to unlock higher difficulties. However, by my third playthrough I found myself skipping almost every cutscene; they were too painfully familiar.

TLOU2 is a game that I know will make me uncomfortable. However, that’s why I’m excited for it. I love fun games, but there’s something about The Last of Us that made me interested in how unfun it was at most times. I’m really interested to see what we’ll learn from how unsettled TLOU2 makes us, how hyperaware it makes us of the cruelty of humanity.

Tom Power, contributing writer – Control

Control Gameplay

I’ve always enjoyed Remedy developed games, and no one seems to blend sci-fi, action adventure, and third person shooters as well as they do. Max Payne, Alan Wake, and Quantum Break are all favorites of mine, and I can’t wait to see what they do with Control. The mystery surrounding the event that’s happened, the mind bending physics, and game play all look like typical Remedy affairs, and it’ll be interesting to see how well it’s received.

Bryan Rose, contributing writer – 8th-gen Pokemon

pokemon let's go

I’m not gonna lie, even though I just played Pokemon Let’s Go, I’m already ready for the eighth generation of games. And I already have so many question…I mean, how will the game look? Will it borrow a lot from Let’s Go? Will Gym Leaders make a return? What kind of theme will it have? This is my most anticipated game because there’s so many directions Game Freak can go now that they are making a Pokemon game for a home console, I can’t wait to see what they have in store for the franchise.

Alex Santa Maria, contributing writer – Crackdown 3

Crackdown 3 Release Date

There are plenty of games to get excited about in 2019, but few have the type of build up that Crackdown 3 has developed. A troubled production to be sure, Crackdown 3 has been in some form of development for the entire generation, and it seems that we’re finally going to see the end result. We’ve seen so little of the gameplay, and what we have seen feels choppy and selective.

I really want to be excited, but it’s been so long that it’s not a normal excitement. I’m anticipating solving this mystery. I’m hopeful that it can be a fun action game and end Microsoft’s Xbox One lineup on a good note. And hey, even if it ends up bad, at least we’ll have some fun Terry Crews voice lines to rip out of it.

Toby Saunders, contributing writer – Luigi’s Mansion 3

The game I’m most looking forward to in 2019 is Luigi’s Mansion 3. Luigi’s Mansion is one of my favorite series and even based on little over 40 seconds of footage, I know I’m going to love the third game. I can’t wait to find out more about the game, but I’m hoping it retains the sweet puzzle gameplay of Luigi’s Mansion 2 while retaining the open-world singular location of the original. It looks like Mario is missing in a large hotel and I can’t wait to head in with the trusty Poltergust and clean up the mess.

James Sutton, contributing writer – In the Valley of the Gods

In the Valley of the Gods

Campo Santo’s new narrative thriller, In the Valley of the Gods, is right up my street What we’ve seen so far looks like a mashup of Tintin and Indiana Jones, brought to life by the same suspense we saw in Firewatch. Set in the 1920’s, the ancient ruins you explore frame the perfect backdrop of myths and legends to heighten your paranoia. If Brendan Fraser makes an appearance, it’s definitely in the running for GOTY.

Rosh Kelly, features writer – Control

control announcement teased by remedy

Alan Wake was a deeply underrated game that let players navigate through clever, witty, and exciting homage to X-Files, Twin Peaks and The Twilight Zone. In 2019, we will be seeing Remedy return to the paranormal with Control, and I can’t wait. The inspiration seems more modern, with influences coming more from the internet and the SCP than old television shows, but the story is delightfully bizarre. From the dream logic design of Oldest House to the enigmatic Bureau of Control and sinister Hiss, everything about this game makes me want to explore it, dissect it, and discovers its creative secrets.

David Lozada, features writer – Jump Force

New Jump Force Characters include My Hero Academia's Deku.

Goku, Naruto, and Luffy all in one game? Jump Force still feels like it’s too good to be true. As a celebration of Shonen Jump’s 50th anniversary, this fighter promises to include a host of iconic anime and manga characters that were once featured in the weekly magazine.

New mascots like My Hero Academia‘s Izuku Midoriya can finally square off against classic heroes like Fist of the North Star‘s Kenshiro and City Hunter‘s Ryo Saeba, thus settling the old debate on which protagonist is the strongest of all time. Since Yugi Moto’s confirmation as a fighter, I may or may not have retrieved my Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Disk in anticipation of playing Jump Force while wearing it. Don’t judge me.

David Restrepo, features writer – Devil May Cry 5

A Devil May Cry 5 demo is releasing on Xbox exclusively tomorrow.

With so many slow-paced action games and action RPG’s that lack a standard action game’s fluidity, it’s time for the subgenre’s forefather to make a comeback. The Devil May Cry 5 reveal trailer, with its energetic music and self-aware dialogue, exuded confidence. Yes, Nico. You did build him that well-functioning arm to kick demon ass.

While its boisterous trailers hooked me, the Xbox One exclusive demo sold me. It doesn’t feature a fully complete move list, but what’s there is enough for action aficionados. The devil breakers and mid-air taunts, which can be manipulated for near infinite air time, seem to offer a deeper approach to a character that began life as a “warm-up” for franchise newcomers. With new mechanics and meatier movement thanks to smoother animations and animation blending, Devil May Cry 5 is poised to become an instant classic like Devil May Cry 3.

Upcoming Releases

Eiyuden Chronicles: Hundred Heroes is designed to bring players a modern take on a classic JRPG experience. Get ready to lead 100+ playable characters through a war-torn world only you can save.
Eve and her comrades land on the surface to reclaim the extinct Earth and cross paths with a survivor named Adam. Eve is then led by Adam to the last surviving city, Xion, where she meets the elder of the town Orcal and is told many stories. In order to serve her mission to save Earth, Eve develops close relationships…
Tactical, beautiful, and wholly unique, the GOTY-winning sci-fi RTS returns with Homeworld 3. Assume control and battle through fleet combat in dazzling, fully 3D space while the award-winning story unfolds on a galactic scale.
The sequel to the award winning Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice, Senua returns in a brutal journey of survival through the myth and torment of Viking Iceland. Intent on saving those who have fallen victim to the horrors of tyranny, Senua faces a battle of overcoming the darkness within and without.

Reviews

9 SCUF Reflex Review
SCUF is the brand that comes to mind for most people when it comes to custom gaming controllers. It’s been…
X