More Reviews
REVIEWS Dark Souls II: Crown of the Sunk Review
I was confident in my Dark Souls abilities. Then From Software released new Dark Souls II DLC.

The Swapper Review
One of 2013's best indie games swaps its way to Sony platforms.
More Previews
PREVIEWS Pillars of Eternity Preview
For Obsidian's crowdfunded love letter to Infinity Engine games like Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate, I was impressed by its willingness to pull back the curtain and let me see the machinery behind it.
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES CounterSpy
Release date: 08/19/14

Tales of Xillia 2

Plants Vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare

Madden NFL 15
Release date: 08/26/14

LATEST FEATURES Interview: Forging the Rings of Power in Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
Tolkien fans may now either squeal with glee at getting to play interactive fanfiction... or condemn it to the watery grave of Numenor.

How Bioware Creates Romances
Bioware's games have romances where you might save the world, on the side of course.
MOST POPULAR FEATURES Picking Your Gender: 5 Industry Professionals Discuss Queer Identity in Gaming
Women from Naughty Dog, ArenaNet, Harmonix, and Gamespot unite to talk about what they want from games in terms of diversity.

Coming Soon

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP Kakulukia
Why Sunset Overdrive Can Go Suck A Lemon
By Kakulukia
Posted on 07/14/14
Yesterday, while cleaning up my media center, I found my copy of Ratchet & Clank: Into The Nexus, which I bought sometime before Christmas last year. I had been pretty excited about this game pre-release, what with it being the first "traditional", albeit shorter than usual,...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Kerbal Space Program
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrozenBacon
100% sexy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Kerbal Space Program Reply with quote

Anyone play this game? I've recently discovered it and been obsessed with it for the past week. learning curve is really steep (orbital velocities, periapsis, apoapsis? Wha?), but once you get a hang of the game it is pretty fun building your own spaceships. There are a ton of mods out there to customize the gameplay to your liking as well.

Here are a couple of screenshots of my first super cereal mission in this game (me setting up the first satellite that will be part of my comm relay network) to get anyone who doesn't know about the game interested.

Once I get the relay network set up, its time to map and explore the many different bodies of the Kerbol system.

This was the first time I even seen an eclipse on Kerbin. Too bad I missed it because of the launch.

Taken about 2.8Mm away from Kerbin (synchronous orbit for the satellite).

Waiting so I can aerobreak in the atmosphere.

I fucked up a bit and accidentally deployed the emergency chute. Cut it and recovered the plane about 5km above sea level.

Flying back to Kerbal Space Command for a landing (was flying weird cause of all the extra drag now that my nose cone is gone).

An embarrassing amount of time went into the development of that shuttle btw. It isn't capable of launching into orbit from the runway, but it can fly to just about anywhere on the planet from the runway. It should be able to go into orbit if it lands on most other planets/moons, though. Thinking about just using this one for cargo and make a smaller, faster reconnaissance plane for planetary exploration.

For shits and giggles here is a development version that I scrapped (on the runway it only managed to take off a second before it ran into the ocean)

EDIT: Oh yeah, you can find a demo on their main website here. You can pay for the game to always get the latest version (they update the demo occasionally, though). You can always pirate the game, which is what I did initially. However, I had so much fun in this game that I had to pay the developers the $23 they were asking for.

Last edited by FrozenBacon on Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
madster111
The Original Pie Lover

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, you mean you actually managed to fly that monstrosity?
Wow, dude. I almost constantly fail space planes. I did manage to get a couple of modified standard planes up, but all the ones i build myself inevitably end in failure.

After you've gotten used to vanilla KSP for a while, you should install MechJeb. It's a great help in a lot of situations.

Also, just as a final protip: If you go to Eve (the purple planet closest to kerbin), multiply the amount of fuel you think you'll need by a factor of 3.

BarackObama,Putin,DavidCameron,XiJinpingAndseveralothers wrote:
Song of the year, every year.
FrozenBacon
100% sexy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madster111 wrote:
Wait, you mean you actually managed to fly that monstrosity?
Wow, dude. I almost constantly fail space planes. I did manage to get a couple of modified standard planes up, but all the ones i build myself inevitably end in failure.

After you've gotten used to vanilla KSP for a while, you should install MechJeb. It's a great help in a lot of situations.

Also, just as a final protip: If you go to Eve (the purple planet closest to kerbin), multiply the amount of fuel you think you'll need by a factor of 3.

You talking about the second plane? Yea, that thing flew like a flying walrus. It was terrible for stable flight (SAS always oscillated the plane between 1k-500m and with manual control you had to constantly fight it just to keep it going in one direction). As you can see in the screenshot I had to turn on RCS just to make it climb.

But yea, for planes I found that as long as you have a tail and your center of lift slightly behind your center of mass, you will be able to fly fine. If the mass is too far back and you will flip on take off. Too far forward, you will never get off the ground. If you veer to the left or the right on the runway and have a perfectly symmetrical plane, either you need struts to keep the wings from flapping or more wheels to better support the weight of the plane. Took me forever to figure out the wheel part.

As for mechjeb, I have been using it for about a day. I do like how it gets you those perfect orbits, but I don't trust the ascent or landing autopilot. In the time I have been using it I've notice I have just been using the orbital information and Smart A.S.S. functions. The surf function works perfectly for planes.
Longo_2_guns
Ruler of the Queen's Navy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually started playing the game, what, two years ago when the first alpha released? Haven't bought the new version, but one day I think I will.
The Original Pie Lover

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should do it longo, 18.4 is awesome. You can put a satellite into orbit around another planet, launched from a space plane that itself stays in orbit around kerbing until you send a refuelling craft to fuel it up to get it to your space station orbiting another planet.

FrozenBacon
100% sexy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newest version came out. They updated the runway and launchpad with ramps (actually a big deal for me since I like to park and taxi craft). There is also a heat reentry effect and better air sounds. New parts and rovers too.

Now I can finally build my airport with vehicles capable of refueling parked aircraft.
madster111
The Original Pie Lover

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The entry re-heat on .19 is going to ruin a LOT of designs. But, it also makes the game more challenging and thus more fun.
I won't update for a while (sorting my mods out and making sure they'll all compat.), so you'll have to post up some screenshots of the new effects and one of your craft burning up. Also, is the atmo heat toggleable?

FrozenBacon
100% sexy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the reentry effects do anything other than make things look pretty.

The new wheels are also crap. I've been trying to build a refueling rover to use on kerbin and the wheels break on the smallest of bumps. Landing gear + rockets still seem like the best way to build a ground vehicle for kerbin. I haven't actually explored any other planets yet so I don't know how well it works in lower gravity, though.

Also it appears that remotetech s bugged with this update. If you put a remotetech part on your ship you will not be able to access the escape menu. Checked the forums and the creator said he is working on an update.

EDIT: And he already released it, awesome.
madster111
The Original Pie Lover

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jebediah's even crazier these days.

cyberjim2000
Forum Bum

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's a kerbal that laughs in the face of hell.
madster111
The Original Pie Lover

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So i made a new plane.
I call it the 'Kill Bill'

Bill lived.

FrozenBacon
100% sexy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice, you probably could go a lot faster if you went higher with that plane. Your plane seems to be getting plenty of intake air.

Also, I left this thing running overnight and I woke up to two perfect maps of kerbin. Feels good, man.

Generating these maps gave me an idea. I think I'm going to play the game on "hardcore" mode, only using Kethane fuel. Maybe I put a few big orange fuel tanks so I can have a limited supply of the old fuel to get the kethane operation started. I'm also going to limit the vehicles i can use. If I destroy one of my planes on a mission, then I'm down one plane. Same goes for people. I'll create everything with empty cockpits and have to rotate out the existing kerbals I have.

Should be fun getting the kethane and transporting it back to KSP to fuel my parked planes. I cant wait till squad implements actual resources in this game. I will probably to busy jizzing over all the new stuff I can do to play the game.
Green_Lantern
Spacecataz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like it's on Steam now.
cyberjim2000
Forum Bum

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After three days, I finally got a rover on the Mun. The fuel you have to use just to get everything into orbit is absurd compare to the amount of fuel you use to actually get to the Mun. The rover unfortunately lost the front right wheel because of how I design the part that supposed to get it off the lander. When I ejected the part, it flipped out and exploded next to the rover then that made the rover flew 20 meters up into the air. Then it landed hard on the wheel. Luckily, everything else still works, I just have to be extra careful of maneuvers now.
madster111
The Original Pie Lover

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why you don't design 4 wheeled rovers. 6 or 8 wheels are much better, because if you lose 1 operational efficiency goes down but you can still do pretty much everything.

So far i haven't rovered to the moon. All my designs have been earth based, from a little one like yours all the way up to an 8-wheeled monstrosity using those huge wheels, big and strong enough that it can launch small manned craft. So you can drive it half way across the world to get a different orbit set up. If i could figure out a way to get it to another planet it would make the perfect base - can theoretically house more than 50 kerbals and i could slap a ton of docking ports on it.

danielrbischoff

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's incredible! Nice job jim.
De-Ting
Formerly Known as Prince

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that you changed your avatar to Jebediah, madster.

o--(^-^)--o
cyberjim2000
Forum Bum

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Daniel. Wished I could show you guys my many, many, many epic failures when trying to land that thing.

So I was browsing through YouTube the other day and a Let's Play(er) gave me an idea for a project for us to work together on: an international space station! So I sent a somewhat basic uninhabited space station up in orbit and uploaded a save file to mediafire.

If you guys are up to it, download the save folder and add more modules to the space station (or put kerbals in it) then upload the save folder.

File: http://www.mediafire.com/?9k4xlxlimicr7f6
Green_Lantern
Spacecataz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided to buy it after not playing since it was first release however long ago that was....I'm pretty terrible.
madster111
The Original Pie Lover

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see this getting very laggy very fast.

I'll see what i can do later. Imma try to keep the amount of parts down so we're not at 5FPS in a few days.
It's better now everythings on Unity, but large things still have a tendency to explode PCs.

Green_Lantern wrote:
Decided to buy it after not playing since it was first release however long ago that was....I'm pretty terrible.

Check out some videos on youtube to help you out and learn to get some orbits set up easily.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ2yqga7IrI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xXh5pwvY20

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> PC All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: