More Reviews
REVIEWS Far Cry 4 Review
The open world of Far Cry 4 is wondrous, but is the beauty of Kyrat only skin-deep?

World of Warcraft: Warlords of D Review
Does Blizzard's latest expansion breathe new life into the 10 year-old franchise, or is this MMO finally starting to show its age?
More Previews
PREVIEWS Silence: The Whispered World II Preview
With its absolutely gorgeous sequel, Daedalic aims to create a mid-range difficulty adventure title that will expand the genre to a larger audiences.
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions
Release date: 11/25/14

Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD Remix
Release date: 12/02/14

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN-
Release date: 12/16/14

Kalimba
Release date: 12/17/14

LATEST FEATURES With Two Paths to Walk This Fall, I Recommend Assassins Play AC Unity Over AC Rogue
For fans of this series, it'll be a decision based on hardware. For enthusiasts, returning to the brand's roots will prove enticing.

Nintendo Download November 2014 - Updating Each Week
If you've got credit on Nintendo's digital eShop service or expect to receive a gift card this holiday season, start making your list with our weekly updates.
MOST POPULAR FEATURES Xbox Downloads October 2014 - Updating Each Week
Microsoft's Xbox One console continues an Xbox Live revolution started over a decade ago. Here's hoping Summer of Arcade makes it to the platform next year.

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP Master_Craig
Welcome Home - PAX AUS 2014
By Master_Craig
Posted on 11/18/14
Last night I returned home from PAX AUS 2014. Long story short, it wasn't perfect, but it was quite possibly the best weekend I've had this year. It was a lot of fun. If you'd like to continue reading, the long story is just below. Buckle up. This is gonna be...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Kerbal Space Program
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrozenBacon
100% sexy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add something to the space station later. My additions may or may not include large penises.

I spent about 2 hours this morning designing a helicopter. Ended up with a VTOL.

It took off, aww yea.

Moving sideways like a boss.

Flys nowhere near as good as my other plane, but it is flyable.

Landing is a bit hard.

Sad

Lets try with rockets

The takeoff was scary as hell. I turned off the rocket engines and this thing dropped like a rock. The jet engines didn't provide enough thrust till I was a few meters above the runway.

Lets try landing again (the rockets make for some awesome breaks, went from 200 m/s to like 20m/s in a few seconds)

Fuck, ran out of fuel.

I dont have a screenshot of the crash, but I can assure that the three kerbals did not survive that landing... or any landing for that matter.
danielrbischoff

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha, that's awesome. You guys kicking this game's ass. I don't think I could get in to it unfortunately, but I like seeing what's been created and how it goes.
http://www.gamerevolution.com/review/wwe-2k15-ps4-xone
FrozenBacon
100% sexy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started playing kerbal while somewhat drunk. What did I end up with? Missiles! Pew pew! (also a new fighter jet that goes the speed of sound right off of the runway! Completely useless in my save because ships explode in the atmosphere if they go too fast, but still cool)

They got a pretty decent range. They can accurately fly for about 1KM, any further than that and they start tumbling unpredictably. I have no idea what I will ever need missiles for in this game, but that jet wouldn't be much of a fighter without them.

I swear I'll get back into space one day. I got a good idea for that save, but I'm too tired right now, It's going to have to wait till later on today, or tomorrow.
madster111
The Original Pie Lover

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, i'm also having too much fun with planes to bother with space, except for occasionally brushing it when speed hunting.

I could never get the hang of FerramAR back when i gave it a few tries. Might be time to give it another go.

Also, the space station save doesn't work for me. Version issues.

BarackObama,Putin,DavidCameron,XiJinpingAndseveralothers wrote:
Song of the year, every year.
cyberjim2000
Forum Bum

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're using ver. 0.19.1, right?
FrozenBacon
100% sexy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So yea, I created a GPS network. Took freaking forever to set up, and remotetech tried to sabatoge some of my orbits, but I am pleased with the results. It gives you a reading that is usually accurate to .3 meters. Sure as hell wouldn't be doing ithis for any other planet, though.

Now time to construct some bases and mine some kethane.
FrozenBacon
100% sexy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy shit it takes forever to dock. It took me like 2 hours and over 5,000 quicksaves just to get to this point. Screw this Im going to bed.

cyberjim2000
Forum Bum

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha, holy shit.
madster111
The Original Pie Lover

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I...
How the fuck?

Did you have to save edit that thing in or what?

FrozenBacon
100% sexy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get just about anything into space, just use KSP's equivalent of duct tape, struts and stick it to the top of any rocket. I couldn't get it to fly straight with FAR installed though. The hard part was getting that close. I then just gave up on the actual approach and rotation. I'll give it another shot later on today, but if I can't get it to dock I'll just put up the save file with the ship being close enough for someone else to try.

P.S. that is'nt my ship design. I made my own pirate ship but it blew up the second it left the hangar. Here is a video the creator made showing it getting into space and... doing stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPRxyv3CED8
madster111
The Original Pie Lover

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you see the latest mechjeb update?

Docking autopilot and jet engine anti-flameout.

All of my money.

FrozenBacon
100% sexy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madster111 wrote:
Did you see the latest mechjeb update?

Docking autopilot and jet engine anti-flameout.

All of my money.

I tried mechjeb 2.0 out earlier today. I like that they added the option to stay under terminal velocity during ascent (I am not too sure if it is working with FAR, though). I also like that i can set precise maneuver nodes with the new version, but I would prefer to just tell it to do certain maneuvers at certain altitudes, or conditions (e.g. when I get an intercept, circularize your orbit). 2.0 also seems a bit buggy at the moment. I think I'll stick with 1.9.8 until the final version comes out. I can make mechjeb do exactly what I want to do with autom8 anyway.

Anywho, I finally decided to stop dicking around with planes and get back into space exploration. To motivate myself to go to new places I decided to use the kethane mod pack and limit the amount of fuel I could use. The idea was to use unlimited fuel the game gives me until I landed my first kethane miner. I initially started minining kethane on kerbin (seemed logical at the time, fly a miner to a kethane deposit and bring the kethane fuel back to KSC), but this method took fucking forever. The first kethane deposit was across the ocean, which took like an hour to fly to. After my first trip I said fuck it and decided to start my kethane operation on the mun.

What sucks about the mun is that it has a 24 hour night and the kethane miner I created uses a shit ton of energy and it gets most of its energy from the sun. During the night, it can only operate with only one drill. I wish the mun was tilited like our moon so the poles would remain in almost constant daylight.

Anyway here is the result. I am glad I dcalculated my power requirements before hand because I ended up landing during the night.

But like I said, the solar panels provide the most power. The sun isnt in the optimal position but the panels still generate enough power to convert the kethane and operate all 4 drills at once. I think this thing has enough delta v to get back up into orbit now!

Next mission is to get some kerbals up there to set up a command outpost so they can repair shit and maybe shuttle fuel back to the KSS I have orbiting kerbin. Since RTGs are kinda overpowered I think I am going to send up a piece that has a like 100 of those things and use it as a power plant.

P.S. I can occasionally catch a glimpse of my mapping satellite if it passes over my base, which makes me as giddy as a school girl. I love this game. Last time I nerded out this much was when I was 13; when I found out I had the ultra glitchy, somewhat rare, v1.1 OOT n64 cartridge.
NickKmet
I Eat Granola Bars

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are single-handedly making me want to buy this game. Sadly, I am poor. Sad
daylight savings time was introduced under a democratic congress. pretty clear that this is part of the liberal global warming farce, if we are extending daylight hours, of course temperatures will rise, THERES MORE DAYLIGHT!
FrozenBacon
100% sexy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a great game. I originally pirated it but brought it because I enjoyed it so much. I rarely buy games based on their merit alone so that tells you a lot about how good the game is. Of course, me being a huge space nerd greatly influenced my decision. There is a demo that you can play. The demo is a slightly outdated version that doesnt allow you to use addons, only only contains kerbin and the mun. I haven't even gone beyond the kerbin and the mun yet so you can still get plenty of enjoyment from just the demo. You can find the demo here.

Anyway I played for a little bit more tonight, and sent a team to the mun to try to get the refined fuel from that miner. The idea was to send my space tug to the mun, land next to the kethane miner, route a fuel line to it, refill the huge orange tank, and deposit the tank at my orbiting space station. The final result was supposed to look something like this:

This is this what actually happened:

Ended up landing in the dark again (I should start paying attention to that), and I had no idea what the terrain looked like during descent. Landed on a hill and it easily tipped over. I think I can undock the top part and use the gimbal of the engines to try to point the pod upwards, but I think I'm just going to wait until I send the rest of the pieces of my mun base down to get those guys out of there.
Mobius_Sean

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing since January. One of my current obsessions. I've done Apollo landings on the Mun, sent Kerbals and Rovers to Duna, and built Gallileo style Jool Divers. Right now playing a lot with space planes and trying to build simple, easy-to fly jets.

Duna Rover next to spent sky crane:

KF-101 jet trainer: thing is easy to fly at 70m/s and can hit 250m/s easy
UghRochester
Fattest Jedi Around

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, this looks even better if you buy it. I would love to build planes. Seeing you guys build a space station looks pretty challenging.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landing lights make everything better. As an experiment after watching "The Dam Busters" I put 4 on the bottom of a lander and tweaked aiming with shift-adjust so when I'm just above ground level I end up with a single light cone. Judging how fast the lights move toward one another makes landings a cinch, though obviously it's not strictly necessary. I still curse when I notice I'm coming in on the dark side of a body though.
NickKmet
I Eat Granola Bars

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I caved and bought it. Are there mods or shit that I should get for it before I start?
daylight savings time was introduced under a democratic congress. pretty clear that this is part of the liberal global warming farce, if we are extending daylight hours, of course temperatures will rise, THERES MORE DAYLIGHT!
madster111
The Original Pie Lover

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickKmet wrote:
So I caved and bought it. Are there mods or shit that I should get for it before I start?

Just play it normally for a bit, and then you can mechjeb it up once v2 is nice and stable.

FrozenBacon
100% sexy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, just do the scenarios that come with the game to get a hang of it, and look into mods as you start learning the game.

I do recommend getting kerbal engineer, though. That mod will save you a buttload of time by giving you delta v readings as you build your ship. Another thing that will save you a lot of time is learning about asparagus staging. There are approximately 1.5 trillion videos on youtube about it so I don't think it'll be too hard to find.

Mobius_Sean wrote:
Landing lights make everything better. As an experiment after watching "The Dam Busters" I put 4 on the bottom of a lander and tweaked aiming with shift-adjust so when I'm just above ground level I end up with a single light cone. Judging how fast the lights move toward one another makes landings a cinch, though obviously it's not strictly necessary. I still curse when I notice I'm coming in on the dark side of a body though.

That is a brilliant idea that I will be stealing.

Last night I couldn't get any sleep so I started designing my mun base. Decided to make all the modules mobile, starcraft style. and take them to the mun to test it. Even though I haven't tried, I think every module can make it into orbit and back to kerbin on its own.

Also tried out the V.F.M. and H.O.M.E. mod. The HOME mod is kinda useless (looked promising but it definitely needs updating), but VFM is ultra handy. Lookie.

[img][/img]

Still, I think I'm going to stick with stock parts for the final version of my base, but I really do like the idea of being able to run fuel/electrical lines in case of emergencies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> PC All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6
Jump to: