More Reviews
REVIEWS God of War Collection (Vita) Review
God of War brings its PS2 heritage to Vita, and the results are more than a bit baffling.

Dark Souls II: Crown of the Sunk Review
I was confident in my Dark Souls abilities. Then From Software released new Dark Souls II DLC.
More Previews
PREVIEWS Pillars of Eternity Preview
For Obsidian's crowdfunded love letter to Infinity Engine games like Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate, I was impressed by its willingness to pull back the curtain and let me see the machinery behind it.
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES CounterSpy
Release date: 08/19/14

Tales of Xillia 2

Plants Vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare

MotoGP 14
Release date: 09/01/14

LATEST FEATURES Water, Water Everywhere: 15 of the Best Water Worlds in Gaming
Lots of water worlds suck, but not these ones, and they're completely Kevin Costner-free.

An Updating List of PlayStation 4 Updates We Want
Sony and Microsoft have been updating their consoles regularly, but we wanted to share our own ideas for updating the PS4 firmware.
MOST POPULAR FEATURES Picking Your Gender: 5 Industry Professionals Discuss Queer Identity in Gaming
Women from Naughty Dog, ArenaNet, Harmonix, and Gamespot unite to talk about what they want from games in terms of diversity.

Coming Soon

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP oneshotstop
Call of Duty will never be the same
By oneshotstop
Posted on 07/28/14
       We've all been there. Everyone remembers that mission. You and your partner are climbing up the mountains in the snow, striving to pull some slick clandestine operation about getting some intel on a bad guy, or something similar (because let's face...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Kerbal Space Program
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrozenBacon
100% sexy

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent had any problems with the different ASAS modules. Maybe you need more struts? ASAS likes to do a lot of huge corrections really brief, which will only amplify wobble.
NickKmet
I Eat Granola Bars

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I finally got around to trying out some stuff, so here's a picture story of my first rocket ship. First off, let me explain that I know this is a terrible, terrible design. Saying that, I really don't know what the fuck I'm doing at all. I need some video tutorials obviously, but right now this game is a bit much for me.

Anyways, pictures. Oh, and please, laugh as much as I was as this was happening.

1) Here she is. I didn't give her a title in game, but let's go with Big Bertha.

Looks like fun, right?

2) Takeoff wasn't that bad. I was careful to throttle up slowly. You'll see why in a minute.

3) As I throttled up, things got a bit..... wobbly.

As I'm sure you can see, things aren't exactly....straight.

4) Then things started to get hot. Very hot. I'm pretty sure that's not supposed to happen during takeoff.

5) So what did I do? I changed directions slightly, and then throttled up. A lot.

Oh Boy.

Houston, we have a problem.

6) Boom.

7) Ouch.

Well, there you go. My inaugural flight. I didn't bother with a "landing" since I didn't make the capsule detachable from the engine and fuel tanks. As you can see, my altitude was not...great.

In case you were wondering, I was curious to see how far off the ground I'd get, and then maybe aim for the Mun. Yeah, went well.

Anyone have some good tutorial videos to link me to?
daylight savings time was introduced under a democratic congress. pretty clear that this is part of the liberal global warming farce, if we are extending daylight hours, of course temperatures will rise, THERES MORE DAYLIGHT!
FrozenBacon
100% sexy

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea... Going to the mun is a bit more complicated than just aiming for it. Scott Manley has some good videos for newbies.

Good tutorial to get you started[/spoiler]
Also [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en4n8fsKWXA]asparagus staging
. Asparagus staking makes getting rockets into orbit a lot easier.
NickKmet
I Eat Granola Bars

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links, Frozen. Of course, what did I do? Completely ignore them, and then spend about 12 hours designing a space shuttle. Here's what I came up with.

NOTE: I am using a mod, which allows me to have cargo bay pods and fill up a section with fuel and oxidizer.

Also, sorry for it being night.

On the pad.

Lifting off.

In Air.

And I finally landed it!

Now, if I could only come up with a fuel and booster design that would get it to orbit and allow me to keep it in orbit. Everything I've done so far has either been really unstable, or exploded mid flight due to instability.
daylight savings time was introduced under a democratic congress. pretty clear that this is part of the liberal global warming farce, if we are extending daylight hours, of course temperatures will rise, THERES MORE DAYLIGHT!
NickKmet
I Eat Granola Bars

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an example of what I've been trying out.

It can get me up pretty high, but requires SAS to keep a stable lift trajectory. This means I can't roll at all. Also, when I hit about 19,000 meters, the entire vehicle starts to spin end over end - I'm guessing as a result of the change in atmospheric density. I'm not really sure how to counteract that. Maybe I should watch the video you linked me!

I really don't know how to create a stable orbit either with something this complicated. I think I'll spend the rest of this week practicing with some simple rockets. Maybe try to deploy a satellite. I have a feeling that will require mods though. Right?
FrozenBacon
100% sexy

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickKmet wrote:
l. Also, when I hit about 19,000 meters, the entire vehicle starts to spin end over end - I'm guessing as a result of the change in atmospheric density.

Yep, that is exactly it. I can almost guarantee you that your center of thrust is off from your center of mass on that vehicle. The control surfaces on the shuttle counter-act this in the atmosphere but once the atmosphere gets too thin for the control surfaces to have any effect, the rocket will tumble because the thrust of the rocket is off from the center of mass.

The only way to counter-act this is to manually adjust the throttle of each individual rocket engine, but the game will not allow you to do this without mods (you can mod it in, though...). There is a reason NASA automates all of its launches. The shuttle was also capable of a manual launch, but there were still a few flight computers to help with manual flight.

A NASA style shuttle launch is do-able in the game, but really hard and probably impossible without mods. If you *really* want a reusable shuttle, the best option is to make a SSTO. Vertically launched SSTOs are the easiest to make, but horizontally launched, jet powered SSTOs can carry a lot more extra weight. They are also a lot cheaper, which is a plus if Squad ever gets around to putting in career mode.

But yeah... you are trying something that is rather advanced for a new player. Learn how to get something simple into orbit before you try doing something like that. The following is one of the first launch vehicles I made:

This design was able to get into orbit, map kerbin, transfer to minmus, get into a polar orbit, and map that as well.

EDIT: Also, if anyone cares, I have been working on missiles and other weapons last week. I'll get around to upload a video of all of my KSP awesomeness eventually, just been too busy as of late. Still intend on making that program for spaceplane design as well.

Missiles for my spaceplane (uses a dock on the wing so I can reload weapons... thinking of building a space carrier). What I really like is how much the plane is unaffected by these heavy missiles. Top speed drops but otherwise it flies really well with the missiles.

Me testing the missiles. This version wasn't that accurate but I made a new version that should be super accurate up to 1km. I havent really tested it that much yet, though.

ICBM. It is horribly inaccurate (hits within +/-500m). This launch was towards KSC2 (from the screenshot you can see it is 764.5km away). It can get close to it, but doesn't ever hit the tower. Will probably have to make the last stage guided instead of being a purely ballistic projectile.

2nd screenshot showing the warhead separating from the targeting stage.

It takes about 8 min for the ICBM to reach KSC2 from KSC.

madster111
The Original Pie Lover

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS

BarackObama,Putin,DavidCameron,XiJinpingAndseveralothers wrote:
Song of the year, every year.
Green_Lantern
Spacecataz

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone get to Eeloo already
madster111
The Original Pie Lover

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green_Lantern wrote:
Someone get to Eeloo already

That's extremely easy if you use the infinite fuel cheat.
Otherwise, you need to do about 3-4 launches and create a huge craft in LKO, probably enjoying 15-20FPS and quicksaving all the time.

Might give it a try one day if i'm really bored. Probably use the nuclear reactor mod.

NickKmet
I Eat Granola Bars

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually managed to land on the mun the other day, but I was entirely reliant on Mechjeb to get me there and into orbit. And the landing. I'm still not entirely sure I was using it correctly to make those things happen either. But holy hell, was designing a rocket that could get my heavy payload into space without blowing up half the time a pain in the ass.

I've sort of taken a break from the game for now, because I'm not really sure what to do. I'd like to set up a mun base, or space station, but it just seems so daunting. I think maybe a heavy lifting space plane would be a good idea.
madster111
The Original Pie Lover

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickKmet wrote:
I think maybe a heavy lifting space plane would be a good idea.

You'd think wrong, man. Trust me on that, big space planes are the biggest pains in the ass to make. Even with the shitton of mods i ran with, including intakeair holding tanks and HUGE wings, i can barely manage to get a moon lander into orbit.
If you really wanna make yourself a heavy lifting space plane, be prepared to have your plane flip and go into a flat spin 9/10, and drop back to 0.19 for superior mod support for now and prepare to double the start up time of KSP as it loads all the extra parts.

I've also found some nice nuclear reactors which are basically easy mode for visiting other planets/moons.
1x reactor combined with some modified ion engines and a few tanks of fuel means almost the same thrust as a nuclear engine, but with a much higher specific impulse, so you should check those out.

FrozenBacon
100% sexy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a friendly reminder that the game is now on sale on steam.
Mobius_Sean

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using a plugin created by Endless Wave for CoG compensation and modding an engine myself (copied and renamed so I didn't lose the stock engine) to have 10.5 degrees of vector range, I was able to make an assymetrical self-built Shuttle using B9 pack parts. Can be flown with and without mechjeb. Was getting seriously pissed at all the fail so I eventually finished the flight test regimen w mechjeb. Album:

http://imgur.com/a/8Zi8r
FrozenBacon
100% sexy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a plugin that changes the thrust of the engines on the craft to keep it level. It is designed for spaceplanes, though, so I am not sure how well it'll work with regular rockets.

Speaking of plugins, I discovered this nifty plugin that allows you to perfect the placement of your RCS ports so they don't cause any drift. Docking was pretty much impossible with my spaceplane before I got this plugin.
NickKmet
I Eat Granola Bars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrozenBacon wrote:
There is a plugin that changes the thrust of the engines on the craft to keep it level. It is designed for spaceplanes, though, so I am not sure how well it'll work with regular rockets.

Speaking of plugins, I discovered this nifty plugin that allows you to perfect the placement of your RCS ports so they don't cause any drift. Docking was pretty much impossible with my spaceplane before I got this plugin.

You, sir, have no idea how much trouble I've had with docking parts to my space station. This plugin should save me a lot of headaches. I've been meaning to post some pics of my space station, but wanted to wait until it was done. I took a break from the game though since docking parts was such a bloody nightmare. Hopefully this plugin will make my headaches go away.
FrozenBacon
100% sexy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Version .21 is now out. The update includes the following:

SAS update - SAS now uses minimal RCS to keep heading (no more wobbly space stations!) and allows user input when engaged. Also uses electricity. This is the best part of the update, IMO.
Terrain update - Mun is now packed with craters, Kerbin's poles look better and apparently other bodies have terrain changes as well
Art pass to KSC - sexier buildings, all done by B9 (squad hired him)
New stock parts - The KSP stock parts expansion girl was hired and some of her modded parts were added to the game
Astronaut complex - You can now assign kerbals to flights
A few other tweaks dealing with the saves, performance, etc.

Here is an image of the new mun:

A bit of a closer look (I would've landed but I don't have enough delta-v. I havent made a refueling depot yet)
NickKmet
I Eat Granola Bars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't played in a while. This update will surely make my space station a lot easier to manage.
madster111
The Original Pie Lover

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOO!

.21 release is finally here!

[Edit]
Well, new SAS sucks dick.

FrozenBacon
100% sexy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^They just released an update that supposedly fixes SAS.

* Fixed an issue with the new SAS not properly maintaining attitude. Should be much better now.
* Tweaked some parameters on the SAS to make it more responsive.
madster111
The Original Pie Lover

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The .21.1 update did help the SAS quite a bit. Now it's not so useless for spacecraft.

Very good for planes, though. I've got a crappy F-18 copy that was unstable as hell in .20, but in .21 keeping the SAS on it's exceedingly manoeuvrable.

Also like the lighter water colour, although i'd like to see it be variable for .21.2.

Getting a new graphics card soon, once that's in i'll overclock my CPU some more and see if i can recreate the UNSC Pillar of Autumn.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> PC All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: