More Reviews
REVIEWS Dark Souls II: Crown of the Sunk Review
I was confident in my Dark Souls abilities. Then From Software released new Dark Souls II DLC.

The Swapper Review
One of 2013's best indie games swaps its way to Sony platforms.
More Previews
PREVIEWS Pillars of Eternity Preview
For Obsidian's crowdfunded love letter to Infinity Engine games like Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate, I was impressed by its willingness to pull back the curtain and let me see the machinery behind it.
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES Sacred 3
Release date: 08/05/14

CounterSpy
Release date: 08/19/14

Tales of Xillia 2

Plants Vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare

LATEST FEATURES Interview: Forging the Rings of Power in Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
Tolkien fans may now either squeal with glee at getting to play interactive fanfiction... or condemn it to the watery grave of Numenor.

How Bioware Creates Romances
Bioware's games have romances where you might save the world, on the side of course.
MOST POPULAR FEATURES Picking Your Gender: 5 Industry Professionals Discuss Queer Identity in Gaming
Women from Naughty Dog, ArenaNet, Harmonix, and Gamespot unite to talk about what they want from games in terms of diversity.

Coming Soon

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP Kakulukia
Why Sunset Overdrive Can Go Suck A Lemon
By Kakulukia
Posted on 07/14/14
Yesterday, while cleaning up my media center, I found my copy of Ratchet & Clank: Into The Nexus, which I bought sometime before Christmas last year. I had been pretty excited about this game pre-release, what with it being the first "traditional", albeit shorter than usual,...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
State of Decay

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mobius_Sean

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:06 am    Post subject: State of Decay Reply with quote

Initial thoughts:

1. Overy ambitious
2. Janky as f*ck
3. Hit or miss hit detection
4. Button combinations do too many context-sensitive things
5. Completely awesome.
6. If you don't have a case of zombie burnout, you need to own this.
danielrbischoff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the 360-only gamers out there, while everyone else enjoys The Last of Us.
used44

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded it first thing Wednesday morning, but I won't be able to start it for awhile.
Mobius_Sean

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danielrbischoff wrote:
For the 360-only gamers out there, while everyone else enjoys The Last of Us.

You mean that game I've had preordered (broke my no PO rule for, actually) and have been salivating for since it was announced?

I think TLOU is going to blow my mind, but State of Decay is the scruffy ambitious underdog I can't help but pump up. I don't think Naughty Dog needs my cheerleading as much as Undead Labs. $20 XBLA game that FINALLY tries some things I've always wanted in the over crowded Zombie genre? I can forgive technical flaws for what it does.
danielrbischoff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does it do that hasn't been done in the genre?

Not arguing, curious. Alex is reviewing this but now you've got my interest.
UghRochester
Fattest Jedi Around

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read "open world zombie apocalypse" somewhere. I thought to myself, sounds like RDR: Undead Nightmare pack.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically the resource and stronghold management paired with managing a group of survivors. If you don't take care of the group's needs you can end up with all the pulpy drama zombie films are famous for. People can get pissed, get suicidal, break off from the group in a huff. I primarily like how little scripting there is. It's all mostly managed by the overarching system simulation apart from the main storyline. Other groups of scavengers can loot supplies before you get to them, and at the same time it is still a "game" in that you have some pretty impressive mobility, and you feel empowered enough to attack a group of up to 4 zeds at a time, w/o having to tie off bleeding wounds or have a basic first-aid background to heal. It can be as unforgiving as a roguelike, but preparation seems to carry the day, and "fun" took a front seat to ball-busting realism.

For example, I decided to scout the gun shop in the starter town at night (bad idea) and ended up attracting a bunch to me because my flashlight was on. The shop itself is indefensible so I tried to make a quiet retreat only to find another horde on its up the street from the opposite position. I eventually ended up breaking into an abandoned house and putting up barricades so I could take them one at a time until the sun came up. By then they were thinned out enough I could make a break and drop off the ammo cache I'd scrounged. Non-scripted, zombie survival, w/o turning into a sniper victim simulator with zombies ala DayZ on an open server.

There's some design issues that have been kind of hit or miss, the most contentious being that it simulates the world in slo-mo when you log out. The longer you're gone the slower it goes until it practically stops so you don't have to Xynga-check every day. Some people have had major setbacks when they come back (survivors dead, supplies depleted, etc.) but it's been difficult to ascertain whether they had their camp in order before logging. If you are in good shape, it's supposed to more or less just repair weapons and develop construction projects. If bad, it's supposed to kinda trip you up. Right now the devs are looking at making it less punishing as it checks for local infestations as part of its calculation, but the detection range as is seems to be pretty severe. That said, this is the state of the game as of today. I have had pretty good results, but I obsess about looking for weaponry, protecting the joint, etc. Came back after 17 hours and my summary just said "survived another day." I can definitely see how coming back to 5 dead survivors and no skilled folks can make a person lose interest, as happened to one poor guy posting in the Undead Labs forums.

It's by no means a perfect game, but for the price and knowing what you're getting into ahead of time, it's at least a fun toy to play with.

Also, so glad you guys are doing a review. I know XBLA doesn't get a lot of attention sometimes, and this is one of the few times I've taken the leap w/o the GR seal o' approval, but the general vibe I got from the internets is it would be something I'd find in my wheelhouse. So far I've been pretty happy with my decision, it's ticked off all the "Y'know what would make a cool zombie game?" boxes I've had ever since reading The Zombie Survival Guide a few years ago.
LinksOcarina
The Anti-Fanboy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am actually impressed by the game. It's not the best looking game in the world nor is it really easy, you get a rhythm going but it can stop in an instant with some bad luck or poor planning, but it has a lot of heart to it honestly, something I don't see in games now a days.

By heart, i mean its not really afraid to be what it is, and sticks to its formula throughout the game.
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sad we still don't have a pc release date.

Also that they didn't ship with co-op support accord to the GR review.

Last edited by Sourdeez on Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Mobius_Sean

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, several hours in and have yet to encounter any show-stopping bugs. Relocated 13 survivors to the warehouse in Marshall, and filled up the supply stocks before bed. However, I did start seeing those "too many infestations warnings" and after driving the whole map in a fast sports car I was unable to find them.

I'm swimming in handguns, found 2 grenade launchers(!) at a police station, but only have 2 shotguns and the rifle Maya came equipped with. I've got enough Glocks to outfit the US Marshall Service, and 4 1911 variants. Thankfully, suppressors make the handguns more useful, but I'd really like something with some range.

So far I haven't lost anyone, and when I logged back in last night a few scavenging runs got me back up to par before I made the big move. Will see how that lasts with the infestation issue after I get home from work this afternoon.
Mobius_Sean

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whelp, that were fast. From the forums:

"Title Update 1 submitted
Hola fellow survivors. Just wanted you to know we submitted Title Update 1 to certification this afternoon.

Title Updates have to go through a "mini certification" process, so it will be a bit before these roll out, but we wanted to let you know what was coming. We expect the update to be available next week. We'll keep you posted as we have more specific information.

Here is what we've fixed:

NEW: Playable characters can no longer be killed by the simulation
Workshop now repairs weapons and vehicles at game dawn rather than the next real-world day.
Reduced cooldown times of commands in the Radio Menu, notably Words of Encouragement, Words of Inspiration, and Medical Advice.
NPCs no longer get stuck behind the counter or on the stairs at the gun shop in Spencer's Mill.
The "Too many infestations!" event will now only occur when there are too many infestations within 500m of your Home, rather than anywhere in the world.
UPDATED: The "Too many infestations" to-do item is now cleared when there is only one remaining infestation within 500m of your Home, rather than anywhere in the world.
You must now be close to the ranger station for the Memento mission scene to play. Previously you would be teleported to the station if you left before the end of the mission.
Community members will properly interact with Facilities in your home. Previously they would stop after a period of time.
Feral zombie now properly dodges vehicles approaching at an angle.
NPCs will now reliably reach warehouse between Mt. Tanner and Spencer's Mill when called to gather supplies.
You can now punch out through the windshield of a vehicle if both doors are blocked.
Zombies and NPCs no longer get stuck behind the grocery store in Marshall.
NPCs now properly move to the proper location during cinematic scenes.
Zombies no longer fall through floor in the Marshall courthouse.
Zombies can no longer get under porch or floor at the Wilkerson's farmhouse.
Fixed a few rare crash bugs.
Fixed various translations bugs.

Jeff
Jeff Strain
Executive Producer"
NickKmet
I Eat Granola Bars

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I very much would like to see this come to PC.
daylight savings time was introduced under a democratic congress. pretty clear that this is part of the liberal global warming farce, if we are extending daylight hours, of course temperatures will rise, THERES MORE DAYLIGHT!
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your in luck, It is coming to the pc. we don't have a release date though.
LinksOcarina
The Anti-Fanboy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good that they are fixing the bugs.

Hope more is added in as well now.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread really makes me want to buy it now. Looks like my mind is made up.
LinksOcarina
The Anti-Fanboy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the updates added help the case for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thread necro but did they ever add in Multiplayer support? This game would be phenominal with MP.
LinksOcarina
The Anti-Fanboy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They said it wasn't possible in this version. Instead they did add a mechanic where you can use influence to have a survivor follow you around.

So next time, maybe well see it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm liking it a lot so far. Just the kind of things I've wanted out of a zombie game. Building up fortifications, gathering supplys, and going home at the end of the night. I'm still in the first area with the church. I'm supposed to be searching for a new base, but I'm liking our base just fine. I guess I'm suppose to be searching for an outpost actually. I need to wikia this game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> Microsoft All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: