More Reviews
REVIEWS D4 Review
Just another game about a time-traveling detective who deflects knives by spitting bubblegum at them as they fly through the air at full speed. Yep, just another game...

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax Review
Ultimax comes the closest to realizing my dream of an actual fighting RPG.
More Previews
PREVIEWS Sunset Overdrive Preview
Microsoft and Insomniac Games have created a new open-world shooter with clear influences from Jet Grind Radio. We went hands-on with the first hour of the game.
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
Release date: Out Now

Alien: Isolation
Release date: 10/07/14

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
Release date: 10/14/14

The Evil Within
Release date: 10/14/14

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP ryanbates
Respawning
By ryanbates
Posted on 09/25/14
I had planned to write something about the Borderlands series, but that will have to wait. I have something I need to get off my chest first. It's very personal, and I hope the two or three of you who follow my sparse blog will spare me this moment. I joked in my review for the bizarre...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Ordered a 2560x1440 monitor
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lethean
Big Fat Poo Head Who Ignores GR

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Ordered a 2560x1440 monitor Reply with quote

Just snagged aa 2560x1440 monitor off of Ebay for like 289 bucks shipped. It's from a Korean company called Qnix and apparently they use Samsung PLS panels. There's already a few user reviews out there and people are saying for the price, this thing is great. It's as good a performer as some of the 600 dollar high resolution monitors. It can be overclocked as well. I may try and set it to 120hz but I've seen reports of artifacting at120hz. We'll see. Anyways, I can't wait! Now do I get a second GTX 660 SC since they can be had for 198 right now, or try and sell my GTX 660 and buy a GTX 760 even though I won't be able to SLi that anytime soon and the GTX 660 in SLi outperforms it.
De-Ting
Formerly Known as Prince

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still can't justify paying over $150 for a monitor at the moment, but you tell me how that thing works, when you get it.

o--(^-^)--o
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting choices...hmm...

Which 660 do you have? Do you have the 2gb or 3gb version?

At that resolution I would spring for the 760 with 4gb. Crysis 3 at 1080p used up almost the full 2gb of video memory for me.

Congratulations on the new monitor, I'm interested to hear your results of overclocking it.
Lethean

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sourdeez wrote:
Interesting choices...hmm...

Which 660 do you have? Do you have the 2gb or 3gb version?

At that resolution I would spring for the 760 with 4gb. Crysis 3 at 1080p used up almost the full 2gb of video memory for me.

Congratulations on the new monitor, I'm interested to hear your results of overclocking it.

I only have the 2GB SC version from EVGA. I'm still leaning towards the SLi though only because benchmarks are showing the 760 as a better single card performer, yes, by anywhere from 8-15 fps but again...250 for a single card vs 198 for a second card. I hate making decisions. I'll see how things go on a single gpu and go from there.

The monitor is shipping from South Korea. It says it should arrive between June 28th and July 3rd. I'll post my impressions once I get it. One thing I'm going to look for is line bleed.
madster111
The Original Pie Lover

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much are GTX670 going for now that the 7 series is released? You should be able to pick one up for $250 on ebay. Looks like 4gb 670s are going for around $300. Or you might even be able to get lucky and pick up a 680 4gb for around that money if you find a misspelled one or something. Would probably end up running you quite a bit more, but that saves any SLI hassles you might have to deal with and future-proofs you for at least 3 years, providing we see some decent optimization of the next-gen console ports.

And yeah, i'm interested to hear what hz you can get out of it. 120hz is obviously the goal, but 100hz/100FPS doesn't sound shabby.

Also, you never mentioned what size it is. 27"?

BarackObama,Putin,DavidCameron,XiJinpingAndseveralothers wrote:
Song of the year, every year.
Lethean

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madster111 wrote:
How much are GTX670 going for now that the 7 series is released? You should be able to pick one up for $250 on ebay. Looks like 4gb 670s are going for around $300. Or you might even be able to get lucky and pick up a 680 4gb for around that money if you find a misspelled one or something. Would probably end up running you quite a bit more, but that saves any SLI hassles you might have to deal with and future-proofs you for at least 3 years, providing we see some decent optimization of the next-gen console ports.

And yeah, i'm interested to hear what hz you can get out of it. 120hz is obviously the goal, but 100hz/100FPS doesn't sound shabby.

Also, you never mentioned what size it is. 27"?

Yeah 27.

See, 300 is way out of budget. I cannot find a 250 dollar 670. 660 Tis are still in the mid 200s. It really is either a 760 or a second GTX 660 I'm afraid :/. Really though I'm jumping the gun. I have such a huge backlog of games that I won't be trying to play Crysis 3 on high or ultra on a 2k monitor any time soon. I'll see how my card handles The Witcher 2 and all that on the new monitor and go from there.

120HZ seems doable but a lot of people are reporting artifacting at that refresh rate. Like you said though, 100hz isn't anything to scoff at either.
danielrbischoff

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jealous! I have this fancy schmancy Retina Display MBP, but I don't think there's a way to overclock it or anything like that.
Green_Lantern
Spacecataz

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go IPS or go home.

The biggest problem with going to 1440p is definitely the added power you need to push that sort of resolution. But other than that, I don't ever see myself going smaller again.
madster111
The Original Pie Lover

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danielrbischoff wrote:
Jealous! I have this fancy schmancy Retina Display MBP, but I don't think there's a way to overclock it or anything like that.

It runs at 60hz anyway, which is good enough for most people. Although, you're unlikely to see 60FPS on most modern games with it, simply due to a lack of power.

Green_Lantern wrote:
The biggest problem with going to 1440p is definitely the added power you need to push that sort of resolution. But other than that, I don't ever see myself going smaller again.

Oh, yeah. You really need a minimum of 2gb of GDDR, just to load up the textures. Could always game at 1920x1080 and just let it stretch, although that kinda defeats the point of buying a new monitor.

Lethean wrote:
See, 300 is way out of budget. I cannot find a 250 dollar 670. 660 Tis are still in the mid 200s. It really is either a 760 or a second GTX 660 I'm afraid :/. Really though I'm jumping the gun. I have such a huge backlog of games that I won't be trying to play Crysis 3 on high or ultra on a 2k monitor any time soon.

I meant as an auction. Put like $230 as your max and keep trying until you win one, because really a 670 is the minimum you want for those resolutions. Remember, you're talking about pumping 100FPS+ at 2560x1440. Even with a well optimized game (few and far between) you're looking at a mix of medium and maybe some high settings, with an overclocked 670.

Seriously man, i'd suggest either trying to win a 670 auction or (preferably) save up a bit and try to win a 680 4gb for a decent price. Anything less will probably end up just annoying you and causing you to spend hours modifying .ini just to get it to 60FPS+

BarackObama,Putin,DavidCameron,XiJinpingAndseveralothers wrote:
Song of the year, every year.
danielrbischoff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madster111 wrote:
danielrbischoff wrote:

It runs at 60hz anyway, which is good enough for most people. Although, you're unlikely to see 60FPS on most modern games with it, simply due to a lack of power.

I've been getting 60-80 in most games with the settings dialed just right (mostly High, some Mid). Of course if I try to use the ungodly high resolutions, then yeah everything runs like shit.
Lethean

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danielrbischoff wrote:
madster111 wrote:
danielrbischoff wrote:

I've been getting 60-80 in most games with the settings dialed just right (mostly High, some Mid). Of course if I try to use the ungodly high resolutions, then yeah everything runs like shit.

What GPU do you have?

And a retina display is the only Apple product I would buy.
danielrbischoff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.3GHz Quad-Core Intel i7
Lethean

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danielrbischoff wrote:

Yes, but what GPU do you have? Razz
Lethean

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I took Madster's advice and upped the ante a little.

If I'm going to spend that much on a GPU, I figure I should just get a GTX 770. So I'm looking at:

GTX 660 SLi - 180 bucks for a second GTX 660

GTX 770 - 400 dollars on a credit card...Not ideal but what are ya gonna do.

Radeon 7970 3GB - 329 at Newegg with Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon, Tomb Raider, Crysis 3 and Bioshock Infinite

It's not realistic to think I can play modern games maxed at 100fps on my budget at that resolution but I'd be happy with 60fps or more. Consoles have made me easy to please with their low FPS.
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I'm an nvidia fanboy and love physx in the games that do have it. They do sell 4gb versions of the 770 but it would up the price to $450.

I'd say go with the 7970 because you're on a budget, its a better deal, and the game package is sweet. Oh and it also has 3gb of vram.

They test against the 7970.
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/geforce_gtx_770_benchmarks
Lethean

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sourdeez wrote:
As much as I'm an nvidia fanboy and love physx in the games that do have it. They do sell 4gb versions of the 770 but it would up the price to $450.

I'd say go with the 7970 because you're on a budget, its a better deal, and the game package is sweet. Oh and it also has 3gb of vram.

They test against the 7970.
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/geforce_gtx_770_benchmarks

Same here...About the fanboy bit. I always say I'd get the better performing card but I always buy Nvidia lol..And Physx! Sad I haven't owned a Radeon since the 9800 Pro. Man I overclocked the shit out of it. Switched o Nvidia with the BFG 6800GT and have used them since. But yeah...DAT GAME PACKAGE! And the 7970 performs as well as a 770 in some cases.
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lethean wrote:
danielrbischoff wrote:

I'm pretty sure hes running a macbook pro so It would be the onboard GPU, A intel HD4000?. Correct me if I am wrong Daniel.

Last edited by Sourdeez on Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lethean

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sourdeez wrote:
Lethean wrote:
danielrbischoff wrote:

I'm pretty sure hes running a macbook pro so It would be the onboard GPU, A intel HD4000?. Correct me if I am wrong Daniel.

Ahh gotcha. Thanks Razz.

EditL And holy crap. Barely playable FPS at 2560x1600 resolution. Of course I wouldn't be using 4XAA since I doubt at 2560x1440 I'd need a lot of AA. But still...This new monitor isn't seeming as awesome as it did two days ago.
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also if I have a game I can't push more then 60fps in I actually prefer 60hz. Having a extra frame refreshes at lower than 60fps can actually make lower framerates look worse at above 60hz.

You can still test for yourself and report back on your subjective experience. I tend to be really sensitive to these kinds of things while my other friends don't notice it.

Enjoy the higher resolution. I have a friend who let me borrow his 1600p monitor and I will admit I want to make the jump to higher resolution in the future.
danielrbischoff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lethean wrote:

I no read good.

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> PC All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: