More Reviews
REVIEWS Dokuro (PC) Review
Dokuro makes the jump from handheld to PC, but does it help or hinder this unusual platformer?

About Love, Hate, and the other Review
Simple feelings. Complex puzzles.
More Previews
PREVIEWS Magicka 2 Preview
How does that sing-along song go? "Magicka 2, Magicka 2, for the Playstation 4, and the PC, too..."
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES Persona 5
Release date: 12/31/14

Motorcycle Club
Release date: 01/01/15

Atelier Ayesha Plus: The Alchemist of Dusk
Release date: 01/14/15

Saints Row: Gat out of Hell
Release date: 01/20/15

LATEST FEATURES GameRevolution's Best of 2014 Awards
Here are all of the awards in one handy post.

The Airing of Grievances 2014
Happy Festivus! Get out your aluminum pole, and join us in one of the (made-up) holiday's annual traditions.
MOST POPULAR FEATURES Black Friday 2014 Video Game Deals Buyer's Guide
Looking to score the most bang for your buck the day after Thanksgiving? Well look no further! Our Black Friday guide is just the tool you need.

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP ryanbates
Gamer Love
By ryanbates
Posted on 12/19/14
When a player one meets his or her player two, it's a beautiful thing. Check out this cake my friend and GameRevolution reader Lindsey L. gave her sweetums on their two-year anniversary!   ...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Ordered a 2560x1440 monitor
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danielrbischoff wrote:

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

Oh that is better Daniel. Smile

What do you play on your laptop these days?
danielrbischoff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reviewed Bioshock Infinite on it... and Metro: Last Light too. Those were both definitely worth it as the jump in graphics was very noticeable.

Also I just jumped on Natural Selection 2 because it's on sale. Anyone else have that game?
http://www.gamerevolution.com/review/wwe-2k15-ps4-xone
Lethean
Big Fat Poo Head Who Ignores GR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danielrbischoff wrote:
I reviewed Bioshock Infinite on it... and Metro: Last Light too. Those were both definitely worth it as the jump in graphics was very noticeable.

Also I just jumped on Natural Selection 2 because it's on sale. Anyone else have that game?

I remember seeing comparisons of Metro 2033 on the PC and consoles. Consoles *almost* matched the low quality settings of a PC.

I almost bought Natural Selection before but it's hard for me to invest in online only FPSs.
danielrbischoff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly don't know when I'll play it because I just got a dev build of Saints Row IV for Steam which will definitely be installed first.

One thing I'd like to do soon is get a second monitor set up so I can get more real estate for all the windows I have open at once.
http://www.gamerevolution.com/review/wwe-2k15-ps4-xone
Lethean

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danielrbischoff wrote:
I honestly don't know when I'll play it because I just got a dev build of Saints Row IV for Steam which will definitely be installed first.

One thing I'd like to do soon is get a second monitor set up so I can get more real estate for all the windows I have open at once.

I have a second monitor but I don't do anything with it while gaming. I may play in Windowed mode so I can mouse over and scroll through a web page or something if that's what windowed mode would allow me to do. I see it being really useful when I want to stream a fight while playing a game like Rift where you can kind of go on auto pilot.
madster111
The Original Pie Lover

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 montiors can come in quite handy while gaming. Back when i was hardcore modding F:NV, i had my second monitor showing wordpad with the item codes and such for the console commands, to make sure everything was working correctly.
Also, Firefox+Gamefaqs. So very useful for zelda emulation. Wind Waker at 1080p works worryingly well.

Lethean wrote:
GTX 660 SLi - 180 bucks for a second GTX 660

GTX 770 - 400 dollars on a credit card...Not ideal but what are ya gonna do.

Radeon 7970 3GB - 329 at Newegg with Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon, Tomb Raider, Crysis 3 and Bioshock Infinite

It's not realistic to think I can play modern games maxed at 100fps on my budget at that resolution but I'd be happy with 60fps or more. Consoles have made me easy to please with their low FPS.

If you don't already have any of the AMD bundle games, the 7970 is clearly the choice. AMD drivers are shit, yes, but you can work around that. For example, on my current drivers when my auto-overclock turns on in Trixx, the screen will flicker with any movement.
Until i unplug and replug the HDMI cable. Simple solution to a problem that shouldn't exist, but a simple solution nonetheless.

And yeah. Console gaming drastically lowers your expectations.
I damn near squee'd when i got GTA4 to run at 45FPS. So, so much smoother than the PS3.

Remember that i'm not saying SLI 660s are bad. I don't know how well modern SLI works, but i know that Crossfire is an unreliable heap of shit and there's a ton of SLI work-arounds for games. Then there's the games where, no matter how hard you try, SLI will simply not work.
This is annoyingly common, especially with shitty console ports (ie, 90% of new PC games), which is why i'm recommending a new single card. Our broseph sourdeez is running SLI 680s, so even when SLI fails he can still get some decent FPS. SLI with 660s will probably let you down.

Lethean wrote:
EditL And holy crap. Barely playable FPS at 2560x1600 resolution. Of course I wouldn't be using 4XAA since I doubt at 2560x1440 I'd need a lot of AA. But still...This new monitor isn't seeming as awesome as it did two days ago.

Yeah, going up a resolution is a pain in the ass. I remember when i got 1920x1080@66hz to work properly with my TV, before then i was running 1366x768. Max everything out, 4xAA, whatever. So many setting tweaks. So much .ini editing. All to keep that 66FPS.

Imagine in a couple years when we're all going 4K. That's gonna be a pain in the ass.

Incidentally, i'm thinking of robbing a bank soon. Did you guys see Asus'(IIRC) 31.5" 4K monitor? dat ppi
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frame time variance can make the higher dual card framerate be experienced as choppy.

Sli has less frame time variance.
AMD has admitted that there is problems with crossfire with frame time variance and has promised it will be fixed in future driver releases.

Nvidia has been great lately with making sure big games that come out have sli profiles but some games slip through. The "Geforce Experience" is a great app by nvidia that will make sure you are updated to beta drivers and even download new sli profiles as soon as they are available instead of making you wait for a new driver release. By the off chance you run into a game without a profile or need to tweak one "nvidiaInspector" is a excellent program. You can try to force Alternate Frame Rendering but that does not always work. EVGA has a excellent overclocking program called "precision X" which will work with any newer nvidia card, Doesn't need to be evga. Dual Card setups are not always perfect and sometimes can use tweaking but lately Nvidia has made things so simple that they just work. Nvidia has done a great job in making sure games old and new have profiles. With next gen games being made for pc architecture I think the dark days are behind us.
Sometimes its really not Nvidia fault though. Take the newest instance of dev making a bad choice
Quote:
Q: Does CoH 2 Support SLI/Crossfire?

A: Crossfire and SLI owners are fully supported to run Company of Heroes 2 with the latest drivers and application profiles. Conflicts with how our ColdTech works and how multi-gpu solutions operate introduce an overhead that exceeds the benefit of using the additional GPUs. After consulting with chipset designers we made the decision to have them disable support for multiple GPUs.

Ridiculous doublespeak Relic.
The funny part is I forced Alternate Frame Rendering 2 and ran the benchmark and got perfect scaling. It did introduce a texture flickering issue though. This may also not be indicative of performance in the real game. Company of Heroes 2 runs on the Essence Engine 3.0. "ColdTech" is the weather effect system in that engine....and yet you're telling us that created such a overhead that multi gpu had to be disabled? Quit skimping on paying good programmers.

At your resolution I would still choose the 7970 with the 3gb of VRAM just to be prepared for the near future.

GTA4 is one of the most unoptimized ports a lot of gamers have ever had the displeasure of trying to run on a pc. Turn off the clip capturing feature helps. So does using "–norestrictions –nomemrestrict -novblank" in your starting shortcut.
It also does however respond very well to my CPU and GPU overclocks. With my setup(3770k 16gb, 1600mhz ddr3, 680 sli) with FXAA forced on I get anywhere from 120fps indoors to 90fps running the streets all the way down to 40fps driving fast on the highways and one graphics driver to the next gives drastically different results for me. A lot of this has to do with it still being a dx9 game. Luckily GTAV is in the same engine Max Payne 3(upgraded "Rage" engine) was released in which is DX11, supports Tessellation, and was very well optimized.

As for 4k. Luckily at that resolution you won't really need 4x AA. Efficient FXAA will be enough. My next setup will probably be 4k, I'm still waiting for hdmi2.0 and displayport 2 to come out so we will have 4k at 60hz over a single interface. I'd prefer to get a OLED 4k. Also waiting on next generation of GPUs, CPUs, Memory, and chipsets. That setup will probably be a completely submerged, dual to quad sli setup.
If you would like to see what is in store for next gen pcs here is a link, 16 logical core cpus, 40 lanes of pcie for multi gpu setups, Quad Channel DDR4! Nvidia GPUs with 1TB/sec bandwidth, stacked DRAM.
http://www.tweaktown.com/news/31076/intel-s-haswell-e-to-kick-some-serious-ass-features-8-cores-ddr4-support-x99-pch-and-more/index.html
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6846/nvidia-updates-gpu-roadmap-announces-volta-family-for-beyond-2014
PCs are more then quickly going to eclipse next gen consoles.(Of course at a higher price) If only we could get devs to focus on utilizing all that hardware rather than aiming for next gen console hardware. I guess its still nice to run higher resolution, FPS, AA, supersampling, graphics mods. At least now they don't have a really good excuse for not releasing on the pc as the next gen consoles are x86 pc hardware.

Double the resolution of 4k and we will finally not need AA techniques at all.
We will all probably be in our early 50s by then assuming everyone here are still in their 20s.
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pre-Order Asus 31.5" 4K IGZO Monitor for $3500
http://techreport.com/news/25031/asus-4k-monitor-ships-july-16-up-for-pre-order-at-3-500

Only $3500 x-x!
madster111
The Original Pie Lover

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sourdeez wrote:
Pre-Order Asus 31.5" 4K IGZO Monitor for $3500
http://techreport.com/news/25031/asus-4k-monitor-ships-july-16-up-for-pre-order-at-3-500

Only $3500 x-x!

That's the monitor i was talking about.
Also, 3840x2160 @ 60hz w/ 10bit colour, 140ppi.
fapfapfap

Do your 680s have displayport?
You might have to go AMD man. Get a cheap reference 7970ghz, aftermarket watercooler and overclock it until you can cook eggs on the radiator. That'd hold you over for a while, yeah?

I'm not keen enough to pick one of those up, though. That $3500 would eat hard into my car-related budgets. Good to see, though. Maybe early next year i'll be able to pick something similar up with HDMI2 for $2k or less.
Or, alternatively, a 40-50" 4K TV.
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 680s have displayport. I use it for my 120hz monitor.

My 4k setup will be completely submerged in mineral oil with a radiator cooling the oil.

I won't be doing the setup for a generation or two of CPUs and GPUs. I want significant speed increase and more gpu memory.

Last edited by Sourdeez on Sat Jul 27, 2013 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Lethean

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I haven't made a decision on a GPU upgrade yet. Rift dropped from 45-55 FPS to 27fps, Metro 2033 with tesselation and everything maxed is sitting around 17fps, BF3 I get around 30-35 still which is nice, the Witcher 2 with ubersampling netted 17fps. Haven't tried with it off. So I'll definitely be purchasing a second gpu or upgrading to a more powerful one. One weird thing that happened is after adjusting the resolution in Skyrim, I'd launch the game, load or continue from my last game and it would crash to the desktop. I have to go through and disable my mods and try to see if it has anything to do with those.

On to the monitor...This won't be very in depth since I haven't spent much time with it. At first I almost got a 32 inch 1080p tv but ordered this instead wondering how much of a difference 5 inches would ma.e For my viewing distance of about 2 feet, this is the perfect size. Any larger and reading articles or text on the screen would be tedious. The colours...My god the colours! There's an oversaturated, vibrant look to everything. For me that's great. I really like that in my PC games. Gritty games still look gritty but everything just has a lot more pop to it. It reminds me of what you'd see on say the Galaxy Note 2. The monitor uses a Samsung PLS panel housed in a Qnix frame.

The frame is nice and maybe a little under half an inch wide along with the display buttons running along the bottom like most other monitors. There aren't many options...At all. Volume up and down, brightness up and down and the power button. The lack of on screen dsiplay options may be discouraging for some but honestly, out of the box the picture on this thing is stellar.

Yes, there is line bleed coming from the bottom edge and yes, it is noticeable when you're playing a game in a dark scene but honestly, after a few minutes of gaming I forgot all about it.

It comes with an ac adapter and an adapter to plug into the prongs to convert it from the standard used in S. Korea to the North American electrical socket but the one from an old 19 inch I had lying around worked in it's place so I went that route instead of using an adapter. There's 2 DVI ports and an auxillary port for audio. cable included. The stand feels sturdy and not very flimsy at all. The instruction manual is in Korean so if you can read that, good on you. But really, it's a computer monitor, not rocket science. You don't need it. Response time is rated at 8ms. Comparing it to my secondary monitor, a Samsung S23B3--, I noticed no discernable difference in response time or ghosting. Viewing angles are consistently good across the board with no colours being washed out, and black levels are really quite good for it being an LED panel. Haven't tried hacking it yet as I haven't had time and there are reports that you lose some image quality in doing so.

Honestly, for 288 dollars this thing is awesome. I can handle a little bit of edge bleeding for a 2560X1440 monitor with some of the best colours I've seen and superb image quality. The lack of OSD is a little annoying and no options to adjust contrast may bother some but I haven't had any need to as of yet and with many games allowing adjustment of gamma and contrast it's such a non issue for me. We'll see how it goes when it comes to photo editing.
Green_Lantern
Spacecataz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking I'll have a 1440p monitor for sale once 4k monitors break $1k...
Lethean

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green_Lantern wrote:
I'm thinking I'll have a 1440p monitor for sale once 4k monitors break $1k...

Hopefully they have GPUs at an affordable price by then that can handle 4k because right now you need tri or quad sli titans to have anything be remotely playable.

Sold my gtx 660 and bought a 770. Should be here tomorrow or Friday. Yay!
madster111
The Original Pie Lover

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lethean wrote:

Sweet!
What model? 2gb/4gb? Reference or Aftermarket cooled?

How high are you going to overclock it? Melt into a puddle levels, or just some small fires?
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post pics. I love me some pics.
Lethean

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madster111 wrote:
Lethean wrote:

Sweet!
What model? 2gb/4gb? Reference or Aftermarket cooled?

How high are you going to overclock it? Melt into a puddle levels, or just some small fires?

I went with the Gigabyte Windforce since it was the same pice as the majority of other GTX 770s and is clocked a fair bit higher and has that sexy cooler. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125463

I went with the 2GB version since I won't be playing on multiple displays. As far as overclocking goes, I'll try and overclock it a decent amount but it seems so much more in depth than it used to be when I got my GTX 260. Un;ess the interface is just more tedious to look at.

Sourdeez - I will get pics Smile
Lethean

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sooo it looks like I need a new case Sad The card won't fit in my current one which sucks because it was a birthday gift a few years ago from my wife and I absolutely love it.
Green_Lantern
Spacecataz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just cut a hole out the back of it.
Lethean

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green_Lantern wrote:
Just cut a hole out the back of it.

Thought about doing that actually. I already removed the back bars with pliers but it still won't fit. If I do that, I'll need to remove more and have my GPU sticking out by about half an inch. Which I guess is better than buying another case and giving up one I love. Although a new case with a pull out motherboard tray would be nice...
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which case do you have?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> PC All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: