Tell GR | What game needs a battle royale mode?

Everyone who’s anyone is jumping on the battle royale bandwagon, with Apex Legends being the latest game to go for Fortnite‘s crown as the industry’s leading online shooter. However, there are still some series that could really benefit from the addition of a BR mode, but have yet to receive one.

The GameRevolution editorial team described which games we believe should receive battle royale modes below. As always, leave your own responses in the comments section, and we’ll feature our favorite in tomorrow’s Tell GR.

Paul Tamburro, executive editor: “Y’know what? Fuck it. Animal Crossing. Why do battle royale games have to be centered around violence? Why can’t the win condition be the player with the most well-furnished home? Throw 100 anthropomorphic animals into a village, stick them on an endless quest to acquire miscellaneous items they can shove into their virtual living rooms, and wait until 99 other players get bored and quit in order to crown the victor. That, or Twisted Metal.”

Jason Faulkner, senior editor: “I think they should go lo-fi with battle royale. Maybe a Quake or Doom battle royale. We’ve seen a lot of spins on the genre so far, but maybe the way to go with it is to see how minimalistic you can be.”

Mack Ashworth, lead editor: “I’d be down for a Crysis battle royale mode. I feel like the stealth and armor mechanics would really work well in a battle royale environment. Stealth could help traversal across big open areas, while armor could offer the edge in close-quarters engagements. Then there are the different weapons, both human-made and alien.”

Michael Leri, features editor: “Instead of New Dawn being a disappointing yet functional samey spin-off, it should have been a battle royale game. Far Cry‘s mechanics could easily be grafted on to the genre and it would be a decent way to shake up a stagnant franchise. Admittedly, I’m not sure I’d actually play it but at least it would be more interesting than whatever New Dawn was.”

Yesterday’s best comment

Question: What’s the weirdest game you’ve ever played? 

Starling: “Jazzpunk, the game where you play as Bond-esque super spy in a world where everything is a pun. It’s also very… jazzy. Darn it, you got me to reinstall it. I want to experience it again.”

Upcoming Releases

Eiyuden Chronicles: Hundred Heroes is designed to bring players a modern take on a classic JRPG experience. Get ready to lead 100+ playable characters through a war-torn world only you can save.
Eve and her comrades land on the surface to reclaim the extinct Earth and cross paths with a survivor named Adam. Eve is then led by Adam to the last surviving city, Xion, where she meets the elder of the town Orcal and is told many stories. In order to serve her mission to save Earth, Eve develops close relationships…
Tactical, beautiful, and wholly unique, the GOTY-winning sci-fi RTS returns with Homeworld 3. Assume control and battle through fleet combat in dazzling, fully 3D space while the award-winning story unfolds on a galactic scale.
The sequel to the award winning Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice, Senua returns in a brutal journey of survival through the myth and torment of Viking Iceland. Intent on saving those who have fallen victim to the horrors of tyranny, Senua faces a battle of overcoming the darkness within and without.

Reviews

X