More Reviews
REVIEWS Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Rebor Review
Just a small update to the existing review for the PS4 version of the game. What are the benefits to upgrading? Check here to see. ~Ed. Nick Tan

Cut the Rope: Triple Treat Review
Cutting the ropes has never before made gravity so… pricey.
More Previews
PREVIEWS Sniper Elite 3 Preview
Sending bullets through the hate.
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES Trials Fusion
Release date: Out Now

The Amazing Spider-Man 2
Release date: 04/29/14

Bound by Flame
Release date: 05/09/14

Wolfenstein: The New Order
Release date: 05/20/14

LATEST FEATURES 4 PAX Indie Titles to Look Out For
We've given attention to all the higher profile games at PAX EAST, but now it's time for the indies.

Ouya's Best Games Coming to the Platform
The Kickstarter console is slowly establishing itself with a couple of creative gems on the way.

Coming Soon

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP shandog137
So much more than war...
By shandog137
Posted on 04/18/14
The recent blog, Peace in the Era of Call of Duty  really made me think about war games that dig deeper than simply a kill streak reward. The first game that came to mind was Spec-Ops: The Line and although I haven’t played it, I began to wonder if it did the war genre as...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
F**k Alan Wake

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sliverstorm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:47 am    Post subject: F**k Alan Wake Reply with quote

Fuck stealing my hoard of items at the end of each chapter.

Fuck two-dimensional caricature characters.

Fuck Alan's need to completely destroy the atmosphere by blandly restating EVERY SINGLE THING that happens in-game.

Fuck poorly animated facial expressions in 2010.

Fuck keeping chapter breaks and recaps in a single-game retail release.

Fuck platforming in a game where your character handles like a cloud wearing a backpack full of bricks.

Fuck bad writing in a game that is--literally--about a writer writing a writer's writing.

Fuck unsatisfying conclusions that are blatantly designed to sell future content.

Fuck Alan Wake.
213EDD

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except they aren't making Alan Wake 2
sliverstorm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which, in a way, is too bad because everything that isn't something I mentioned was pretty damn good. The mythology of Cauldron Lake and the way it was presented in game was great, and the entire opening with your wife as you enter the town was wonderful.

And then all of a sudden you're separated, and rather than feeling that isolation and silence Alan just goes ON and ON there's the house we were staying in oh the scream that came from the house was a scream that came from the house my wife is not in the house boy it sure is dark around here.

The light combat/gameplay bridged story and mechanics flawlessly, as well.

I'm mostly frustrated because this was more of a 'B' game for me due to the execution, and my expectations going in were around an 'A-'.
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought all the Alan Wake games for $1. Its was the best $1 I ever spent.
They also released tons of movie clips and dev videos in humble bundle with it.

I really enjoyed it. Kinda reminded me of the original Max Payne games.
(Who was Remedy, the same dev.)
danielrbischoff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I honestly remember is the rock and roll sequence. The rest of the game can fuck off for all I care.

I did like the combat, but it wasn't scary and the muted tones and landscape got old really fast... plus

Fuck the DLC
sliverstorm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danielrbischoff wrote:
The only thing I honestly remember is the rock and roll sequence.

Was a total L4D2 ripoff, but that really didn't make it any less awesome.
madster111
The Original Pie Lover

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still gets a few points for being a console port that wasn't an unoptimized piece of shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h8_F-_a6ko
Mod-Chip
Senior Idler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved the game, and playing it with maxed specs actually gives a very impressive look and feel to the game. I loved the random yelllow text you'd get with the flashlight

The scariest part of the game was easily the one where he's in the cave, and he's surrounded by pitch-black darkness except for the narrow beam of his flash light, and out of the intense darkness his wife's voice slowly whispers "Alan....Alan..."

Needless to say, playing at 4 A.M. and playing that part had my heart racing.
monkeygoat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Wake is (for me) an example of how plot driven gaming has diminished in originality and joie de vivre over the past few years. I cannot recall a game that was based around more forgettable characters.

Past series and games like half life, planetscape, deus ex, final fantasy, even shooters like duke nukem and quake seemed not simply copy their film and television predecessors but seemed to create worlds of their own that played by their own rules. Some modern games like Bioshock carry on that tradition. Alan Wake seemed like a desperate series of Lynch and King references bound together by almost non-existent gameplay. I can't believe those Remedy guys look like 5 years making this thing and couldn't think of a single original feature. And by original I mean not lifted from other media with nothing more than the names changed.

That said, I wouldn't have minded the lack of story so much if the large sections of action weren't also dull and routine. Deadly Premonition on the other hand, was similarly derivative but was executed with such spirit and lack of pretension that I couldn't help but love it. It felt like twin peaks in another dimension, not twin peaks for robots.
danielrbischoff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

monkeygoat wrote:
Alan Wake is (for me) an example of how plot driven gaming has diminished in originality and joie de vivre over the past few years.

I would so agree with you, except AW came out in 2010 and I've enjoyed quite a few narrative-driven games since then, especially a handful in just the past few months.
monkeygoat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danielrbischoff wrote:
monkeygoat wrote:
Alan Wake is (for me) an example of how plot driven gaming has diminished in originality and joie de vivre over the past few years.

I would so agree with you, except AW came out in 2010 and I've enjoyed quite a few narrative-driven games since then, especially a handful in just the past few months.

Well I should admit that I am quite out of touch with gaming at the moment. I have enjoyed narrative-driven games more recently than AW, and originality isn't always the winning factor in a good game. Sometimes I just like seeing a certain kind of story done well which I don't believe was the case with AW. Nostalgia has a way of remembering the triumphs of the past and forgetting the crap that always existed. But its undebatable to me that single player 'narrative' gaming on PC has deteriorated. Could you recommend a recent title for PC?
danielrbischoff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

monkeygoat wrote:
Could you recommend a recent title for PC?

You hit the nail on the head with Bioshock (Infinite), maybe not entirely for its originality (though the world is certainly a sight to behold in PC-master-race-graphics-whoring), but definitely for the commentary it has on gaming and more precisely shooters and the nature of shooters as a genre. It's a narrative with a critical stance on its medium which is something I've never really seen in video games.

I know I've played through a good narrative when I play once and feel like I could never touch the game again, and that's Bioshock Infinite for me.

I also enjoyed the story and progression in Metro: Last Light (on PC) but it doesn't really hold a candle to Bioshock and frankly in retrospect it's kind of a shitty story with a lot of hopelessness, but somehow still a grin and a boner through the whole fucking thing.

Outside of PC, I'd point to The Last of Us, but this is the PC forum so the best example of narrative in games for the past few months would have to Bioshock. Really I don't think anyone can blame you because 90% of game narratives are "Some guy woke up and decided to see how many people he could kill in the span of 8 hours."
sliverstorm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danielrbischoff wrote:
"Some guy woke up and decided to see how many people he could kill in the span of 8 hours."

If you replace guy with girl, people with walls, and kill with trespass, you have the plot to Portal 2.
used44

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sliverstorm wrote:
danielrbischoff wrote:
"Some guy woke up and decided to see how many people he could kill in the span of 8 hours."

If you replace guy with girl, people with walls, and kill with trespass, you have the plot to Portal 2.

Haha, this is great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> PC All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: