More Reviews
REVIEWS NARUTO SHIPPUDEN: ULTIMATE NINJA Review
So, the question remains, is this an ultimate storm made by ninjas or a storm made of ninjas?

Anomaly 2 Review
Does the tower offense genre exist yet?
More Previews
PREVIEWS Sunset Overdrive Preview
Microsoft and Insomniac Games have created a new open-world shooter with clear influences from Jet Grind Radio. We went hands-on with the first hour of the game.
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
Release date: 09/30/14

Alien: Isolation
Release date: 10/07/14

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
Release date: 10/14/14

The Evil Within
Release date: 10/14/14

LATEST FEATURES Interview: Sunset Overdrive's Drew Murray and Ted Price Talk Traversal and Game Design
Insomniac's open-world shooter will land exclusively on Xbox One later this year and we got to go hands-on and speak with the devs on the this stylish Xbox One exclusive.

Sunset Overdrive Co-op Is a Thrill Ride and a Half: TGS Multiplayer Hands-On
I play a co-op round of Sunset Overdrive with seven other people at the Tokyo Game Show.
MOST POPULAR FEATURES The Updating List of PAX Indies
We're heading to PAX Prime! Are you looking to check out a few unique indie games while you're there? UPDATED: Dragon Fin Soup, Dungeon of the Endless,

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP shandog137 Background: I own and have completed every entry in the Ninja Storm series, so there is inherent bias but luckily this isn’t a review. These are just my thoughts on a fun series I chose to pick up after my Dragon Ball Z Budokai days. I am also only about 3 episodes behind in the...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Everquest Next
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:03 pm    Post subject: Everquest Next Reply with quote

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/952/feature/7640/EverQuest-Next-The-Future-of-the-MMORPG-Lies-in-Norrath.html

Looks great.
Third person action controls
Advanced AI based on effects the players have on the world.
The world if destructible!

Yes you can destroy walls, bridges. You can have a hole smashed into the ground and find a secret location. The world is multi tiered so you can even just take a pickaxe and dig your way to lower tiers of the world where there will be complete new zones.

Giant monsters can destroy trees and even destroy whole buildings. It really looks amazing to see in a mmo.

The game looks very ambitious and the destructibility makes me feel giddy with anticipation.

You can also build things! EQ landmark allows you yo build things with a incredible amount of detail.
213EDD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another link
http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/everquest-next-preview/
also bump
drathbone

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds incredibly ambitious. Almost too good to be true. I just picture the dynamics shifting towards a central contention point and everything else just being an empty wasteland (post-apoc Norrath?). Perhaps not. I'm a huge fan of EQ1.EQOA and never played EQ2.

The first link said the game is free. So it's f2p? b2p?
cyberjim2000
Forum Bum

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks interesting but I'm not going to play it because of my experience with SoE and their freemium models.
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://youtu.be/OMqXgoP73bU

Look at all the debris and destruction. Ground collapses. It looks awesome!

Some people will be put off by the stylized art style but looking back at how badly eq1 and eq2 graphics aged I don't really mind.

The engine also uses Nvidia PhysX.

Last edited by Sourdeez on Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
C_nate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played the original EQ for five years before I moved to WoW, so I have some experience with SOE products. The game looks and sounds very promising, but I have a lot a red flags going off when I saw that it was f2p.

The way SOE milked EQ players by releasing expansions every six months that we had to keep buying to keep current with the game, I don't think SOE will show a lot of restraint with their cash shop and go hog wild in this new game.

We'll have to wait and see, but I'm expecting a pricey "free" game.
intoTheRain
Doesnt Like to Get Wet

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im excited, if anyone can pull off a worthy competitor to WoW this is it.

but all those things you mentioned, MMORPGs always make everything sound so deep and amazing like you can do EVERYTHING, but once you get into it its never that amazing. at least thats what I find.

edit: and i really, really hate how everything is going free to play. makes me feel like gaming is going to be completely ruined within the next decade.
cyberjim2000
Forum Bum

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

intoTheRain wrote:

edit: and i really, really hate how everything is going free to play. makes me feel like gaming is going to be completely ruined within the next decade.

I disagree only because very few MMO companies does F2P that is fair to the free players. Like in World of Tanks, you could buy premium tanks but they're only good for farming credits and they're not that great compared to tanks of the same tier. Or Path of Exile, where... well... you wouldn't know that there's stuff to buy with real money if it weren't for the launcher within the game other than that you couldn't tell the difference between free and paid players.

Oh, and it's definitely not "everything", just MMOs. So yeah, I guess it would suck if you only play MMOs and they all go F2P.
C_nate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not just MMO's though. Many games are going down the microtransaction path. The worst offenders are the ones that prey on some peoples need for instant gratification by putting artificial roadblocks in the game and letting you buy your way around them with cash instead. Which is a lot of the mobile type games. Someone showed me that one Simpsons game and I was dumbfounded to see how much cash you could dump into the game to build your perfect little town.

Even DLC can be abused. I remember how amazing DAO was. Man I was so into it. Then came the cockpunch when I got to my camp and talked to the guy there and suddenly a screen pops up asking for my credit card number. Fuck, who needs immersion, right EA?

Anyway, point is, these microtransaction based games are solely designed to separate fools from their money. If you have poor decision making skills and poor impulse control, or just more money than sense, you will wind up spending much more money in a f2p game than a subscription based one.
213EDD

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guild Wars 2 is the only example I know of where spending money is not needed to be successful or even to be on the same level as someone sinking $300
EpicPeon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah this looks pretty damn awesome. I was a little skeptical myself - GW2 promised much of the same "absolute change" before launch and it was all bullshit. The only difference I guess is David Georgeson actually explained the mechanics of how and why that will happen.

Multi-classing sounds cool too. Like a mix of FF job system and GW2 weapon system. I think my favorite part is having many areas of the game be "crust to core" opens up a lot more exploration adventure possibilities. Oh yeah, I really like the art style too.

I never played EQ, tried 2 and made a Ratonga Thief I just couldn't stick it out with the dated graphics.

We'll just add this to the many awesome MMOs coming out. The wait gets more painful with each one! If they pull it off as they described I don't think I will be playing much else, but just in case ArchAge and Wildstar are pretty high on my radar. Very Happy
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never played the original EQ. I played Everquest Online Adventures which was the EQ for the playstation 2. I loved sitting on my couch with my ps2 controller and usb keyboard and playing a mmo all day.
World of warcraft came out shortly after which made me immediately jump ship. Sadly the EQOA servers have been shut down.

C_nate wrote:
It's not just MMO's though. Many games are going down the microtransaction path.

Kind of like Deadspace 3. A single player game!, that had microtransactions put in to allow you to buy ingame resources for real life money. When I witnessed that, I immediately realised EA was being fucking greedy. So I pulled out a hex editor and hacked the game giving me the resources for free. If EA thinks they should be able to charge me real money for ingame resources in a single player game, I will just give them to myself for free.

213EDD wrote:
Guild Wars 2 is the only example I know of where spending money is not needed to be successful or even to be on the same level as someone sinking $300

Guild Wars 2 is a excellent example of a game that gets it correct. Allow people to either spend cash or in game currency in the microtransaction market. I believe EVE online does something similar to where you can use in game currency to buy game time.
Kiristo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The entire presentation for it: http://www.twitch.tv/everquestnext/b/439794859?t=30m

I'm a bit excited for it despite the feeling that I probably won't enjoy another MMORPG. I've played many, but since TBC in WoW, haven't really enjoyed one for long. SWTOR was fun until I finished the main questline - I strongly recommend playing it for free as a single player game just for the story alone. If you wanted KoToR III like me, you pretty much got it. The MMO aspect I got bored of pretty quickly though.

GW2 was fun for awhile, but I think I only made it to about lvl 40 before I got bored. Still, they had some really great ideas implemented into it, such as the gathering resources being instanced basically so everyone could farm them, and it was the first one I noticed the overflow server system (why the hell did they have more than one shard still I don't know - you can tell from what little leaked about Titan, that they were putting it all on one).

The combat in Neverwinter is the best I've played in an MMO. I honestly did not like the combat in GW2 as far as instances goes. The lack of tanking/the "trinity" was a mistake in my opinion. Neverwinter took a much better approach to it - I'd recommend trying this game just to experience the combat system. I still didn't get to max level in Neverwinter before I got bored though.

I'm hoping either TESO or Everquest Next is an MMO I can enjoy for a lot longer than the last several I've tried.

I'm not sure if it's because eventually you seem to always do the same thing in MMORPGs or if it's actually the open worldness that bores me. Somehow as I've grown older, I've shifted towards embracing and loving open world sandbox kind of games -man did I play the hell out of Morrowind, and played 40+ mods adding all kinds of new quests and content to it. Oblivion I beat the main quest and then never touched again, and Skyrim I barely played at all - maybe hit lvl 12. Stopped playing Mass Effect 3 after a couple hours and have never touched it since. Got to where the town moves in Borderlands 2 and then it opened up all the new quests and I just said fuck it. I love a game with a good story that keeps me wanting to play and finish it. Like Alan Wake or Tomb Raider, something that even if it's linear, is exciting to play the whole way through. It's kind of a bummer that the technology and games have only gotten better and now I just can't keep an interest in those kinds of open world games.
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The punchline falls a bit flat."
"Par for the course with CAD comics."

Last edited by Sourdeez on Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:38 pm; edited 4 times in total
Lien
Die Hard Commie Bastard

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sourdeez got minus 100 respect point from Lien for posting a Control alt delete comic in the GR forum.
You can't blame your desire to have a homoerotic orgy on pot.
Longo_2_guns
Ruler of the Queen's Navy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lien wrote:
Sourdeez got minus 100 respect point from Lien for posting a Control alt delete comic in the GR forum.

Yeah, that's pretty much a ban worthy offense.
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverQuest Next Previews: The Class Panel Recap
http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/952/feature/7649/EverQuest-Next-The-Class-Panel-Recap.html
FrozenBacon
100% sexy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because they said crafting will be like SWG (please let there be shops based out of player housing, that was the most awesome feeling driving to the middle of nowhere and buying an item out of a weirdly decorated house), and it is a sandbox I signed up for the beta last weekend. I have a feeling this game will bomb but I wouldn't mind beta testing it.

Last I checked signups were closed but I heard they reopened them again. If anyone wants to sign up go here:

https://www.everquestnext.com/beta-registration
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was another thing I found interesting about Ultima Online way way back in the day. Infact it looks like they are taking a lot from UO(Amazing that other MMOs haven't in so long) You will be able to claim land and build on it.

EQ Next will be free to play so I'm willing to give it a fair shot. The lessening of the trinity worries me though. I know everyone feels like not having the trinity feels free, great, and liberating, but I actually kind of like the holy trinity after trying MMOs without it.
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the EQ Next hidden videos in the phone app.
http://youtu.be/QAb5lQ7hzHs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> PC All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: