More Reviews
REVIEWS LEGO Batman 3: Beyond Gotham Review
Batman and friends team up for another Lego adventure.

This War of Mine Review
Nobody wins.
More Previews
PREVIEWS Silence: The Whispered World II Preview
With its absolutely gorgeous sequel, Daedalic aims to create a mid-range difficulty adventure title that will expand the genre to a larger audiences.
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions
Release date: Out Now

Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD Remix
Release date: 12/02/14

Guilty Gear Xrd -SIGN-
Release date: 12/16/14

Kalimba
Release date: 12/17/14

LATEST FEATURES With Two Paths to Walk This Fall, I Recommend Assassins Play AC Unity Over AC Rogue
For fans of this series, it'll be a decision based on hardware. For enthusiasts, returning to the brand's roots will prove enticing.

Nintendo Download November 2014 - Updating Each Week
If you've got credit on Nintendo's digital eShop service or expect to receive a gift card this holiday season, start making your list with our weekly updates.
MOST POPULAR FEATURES Xbox Downloads October 2014 - Updating Each Week
Microsoft's Xbox One console continues an Xbox Live revolution started over a decade ago. Here's hoping Summer of Arcade makes it to the platform next year.

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP oblivion437
Wish List for Fallout 4
By oblivion437
Posted on 11/24/14
So I promised that list and here it is.  It's late and it's not as thorough as I'd hoped.  I also wish I had images handy to illustrate every point where helpful.  So, in no particular order - a subjective set of desired features for Fallout 4: Things to...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Did your parents have rules about video games?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> Classic Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
used44

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Did your parents have rules about video games? Reply with quote

Mine didn't really, though there were times when I played them far too much. I had a friend who basically wasn't allowed to play them when his parents were home. So we would go to his house and play after school, but then his mom would get home at like 5 and we would have to go do something else.
danielrbischoff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to drop what i was doing and start homework at 4 o'clock every day, which gave me about an hour to an hour and a half after school to do as I pleased. I always wished I could go on a marathon, but I always ended up getting booted off the TV for one thing or another.
http://www.gamerevolution.com/review/wwe-2k15-ps4-xone
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once was grounded from touching a computer or technology for a whole year over something a kid at my school lied about and blamed on me.
I had a difficult childhood and home experience.

I eventually moved out a few years after that. moved into my fathers house who worked 2pm to midnight and gave me the respect to raise myself and to not try to control my life.

My mother went to her grave on Sept 11 2011 With me not talking to her.

Remember parents your parenting and actions will matter in life. That goes for both ends of the extreme, from too controlling,or straight up ignoring. Your kids wont always forgive you for being a shitty parent.

Last edited by Sourdeez on Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:00 am; edited 6 times in total
UrbanMasque
Don't Feed Him

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not mine, obviously couldn't think about playing while on punishment, but they did make a big stink when I stayed inside during the summer to play the NES. Seriously, it was like 97 degrees and humid in NYC - did they really want me to go out and ride my bike?

De-Ting wrote:
One-on-one brings out the true nazi in people.

WickedLiquid wrote:
Today I got a restraining order from John Stamos.
Bretimus_v2
The Japazillian Dynasty

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chores and homework before games. My mom had an internal time sheet and if she felt you needed to do something else with your time...you did something else. We had a separate TV for the Nintendo. Old thing with faux-wood paneling and a radial dial. That was back in the "rumpus room" next to the pool table and foosball table. That was my corner from 4-6 pm. No games before bed because it got us wound up. Minimal games on Saturday. I don't think we could play longer than 2 hours if I remember correctly unless we were having a sleepover.

My parents were pretty fair and stressed the importance of doing other stuff (sports, toys, trampoline, etc.).

xclant

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was raised by my father he used to enjoy playing Atari with me when i was much younger and we never grew out of it i had no real rules as long as nothing good was on tv i had free reign.
drathbone

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up across the street from a lake and during the harsh New England winters there was plenty of sledding to do.

Yes I gamed alot, but it was mostly between playing outside, sports, work (started at 14) and homework. There wasn't rules per se, but we preoccupied ourselves enough to make up for an prolonged gaming session.
LawnGnome

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite having very conservative Christian parents, they enjoyed playing video games on the NES, SNES with me when I was younger and they never imposed rules on me on what games I could or couldn't play or on my playing habbits. My Mom still plays a ton of casual computer games like Plants vs. Zombies, Angry Birds, Peggle, etc.
Optimus-Crime
bananable

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only to be the very best, like no one ever was. To travel across lands, searching far and wide. But most importantly, to catch them all. Weird part about it was this was 15 years before the first Pokemon title was released, so yeah.
GAME-QUEST-EX

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:15 am    Post subject: RULES? THERE ARE NO RULES! Reply with quote

No special rules or nothing like that with my folks. Just as long as I didn't damage anything at home and I didn't let my gaming interfere with my school work/house chores.

When I seriously started playing home console games I was able to afford, I could do so in my room with my own TV, so I stayed out of everyone's way.

Before that, I mainly gamed in the arcades & on portable handhelds.
Longo_2_guns
Ruler of the Queen's Navy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not until I went three weeks without doing my math homework due to playing games instead.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Well, I was always a Nintendo nerd anyway, so I doubt we would've needed any actual rules anyway (at least content wise). I was never restricted as far as time is concerned either. I always went outside on my own most of the time.
danielrbischoff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiteinthesky wrote:
No. Well, I was always a Nintendo nerd anyway, so I doubt we would've needed any actual rules anyway (at least content wise). I was never restricted as far as time is concerned either. I always went outside on my own most of the time.

I got told to go outside a lot more when I was playing stuff like GTA or shooters like Timesplitters lol. Never got scolded for playing Mario Kart with my brother.
http://www.gamerevolution.com/review/wwe-2k15-ps4-xone
NickKmet
I Eat Granola Bars

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Early on my mom would restrict our playing time, but I don't remember it being that strict. The only real rule was that she didn't want violent games in the house (so really, no M rated games). Of course, that didn't stop me once I was old enough to get them myself, and she never really tried to stop me.
daylight savings time was introduced under a democratic congress. pretty clear that this is part of the liberal global warming farce, if we are extending daylight hours, of course temperatures will rise, THERES MORE DAYLIGHT!
Trendkill88

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really. My parents were really relaxed when it came down to video games. My uncle was an equally bad influence on me. He used to rent stuff like Splatterhouse 3 for me all of the time. Those were the days...
Master_Craig
i liek to draw pictures

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We didn't really have any "rules" in our house hold regarding games, but it was the typical and straight forward stuff.

After school we had to get started on home work at about 5 PM. We couldn't play games, watch TV or anything like that until our homework was done. So... if we didn't have much homework, that's great, if we had a lot of homework well uh... not so great.

When we were kids we had to share too, which can be problematic with three brothers who all want to play a specific single player game.

Maybe you could totally also check out my web comic "Reckless Abandon" - http://racomic.blogspot.com.au
gamerevolution00

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only rule that my mother gave me is to finish my homework early; its about 4pm and then I have to play for 5pm-9pm only because my mother turns off the lights of our house at about 9pm and all the family members should go to sleep.

My parents are also strict when it comes to choosing games for me, they dont want those brutal games like Misery and Brutal Doom. They like those games like sports games and sci fi games.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> Classic Gaming All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: