More Reviews
REVIEWS Boo Bunny Plague Review
If you think you can enjoy the definition of budget game design, this one might make you laugh.

Minimum Review
With so many shooters crowding the marketplace, it’s refreshing to see Minimum take the low-fi route through Steam Early Access.
More Previews
PREVIEWS Halo: The Master Chief Collectio Preview
Microsoft and 343 Industries want to bring the entire Halo saga to Xbox One and this collection does exactly that with new graphics for Halo 2.
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
Release date: 09/30/14

Alien: Isolation
Release date: 10/07/14

The Evil Within
Release date: 10/14/14

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
Release date: 10/14/14

LATEST FEATURES Sunset Overdrive Co-op Is a Thrill Ride and a Half: TGS Multiplayer Hands-On
I play a co-op round of Sunset Overdrive with seven other people at the Tokyo Game Show.

Ori and the Blind Forest is Enchanting as Hell If Hell Were Magical as Shit [TGS Hands-On]
I want to protect her. It. Him. That. That thing. Ori.
MOST POPULAR FEATURES The Updating List of PAX Indies
We're heading to PAX Prime! Are you looking to check out a few unique indie games while you're there? UPDATED: Dragon Fin Soup, Dungeon of the Endless,

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP shandog137 Background: I own and have completed every entry in the Ninja Storm series, so there is inherent bias but luckily this isn’t a review. These are just my thoughts on a fun series I chose to pick up after my Dragon Ball Z Budokai days. I am also only about 3 episodes behind in the...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
25 years of Street Fighter
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> General Gaming Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: 25 years of Street Fighter Reply with quote

Hard to believe Street Fighter is 25 years old but it's true.

If you have a little over an hour I suggest you check out this documentary made for its 25th anniversary. It's full of hard core nerds and the people who made the games who explain why we loved this series, these characters and why we paid money for the exact same game, in turbo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gZBITO5GwI

Who was your character in Street Fighter 2? Which game did you love the most? What nostalgic memories do you have of the series and how do you like what it has become today?
De-Ting
Formerly Known as Prince

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, a perfect opportunity to post this greatness:

http://youtu.be/Du6YLbTyGPw?t=29m43s

I honestly think they need to make Guile the face of Street Fighter. If they did that, it'd have nowhere to go but(home to your family)up.

o--(^-^)--o
Wes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh yeah, so anyway my character was always Ken. I think he was a fan favourite, like Ryu but with more attitude. Super Street Fighter 2 was my favourite because it had Cammy and Cammy was hot.

My first memory was at the convenience store near my elementary school. I remember it blew our minds and I liked Dhalsim the most because I thought his stretchy arms were a cheap attack that stretched through the screen. My other friend liked Chun Li because she was fast. But I still kicked his ass and would gloat to him until a teenager would walk up and beat the crap out of me, taking over the game.
De-Ting
Formerly Known as Prince

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played Turbo a lot on the SNES with my older brother. Loved cranking up the speed and button mashing. We used E. Honda a lot, because of his funny grunting noises, and because he was fat. Also, the million palm attack he does.

o--(^-^)--o
used44

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just had plain Street Fighter II. Guile and Chun-Li were my favorites. My brother was always Blanka.

I grew to like the SNK fighters better though.
WickedLiquid
In Limbo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't have time to watch the documentary but I'll check it out later since I love Street Fighter. My player is Ryu but I used to use Blanka because I loved how he could shock people and bite their heads. But when I got it for SNES and learned how to do a fireball it was Ryu all the way. It was ths coolest game ever... Until I saw Mortal Kombat.

I remember my first time playing it: Family Food Fair convenience store baby! Too bad it doesn't exist anymore. But I remember i'd always get my ass kicked by 20-somethings.

Co-op games were always the best though at the arcades. TMNT, X-Men, The Simpsons, etc. Working together were the right types of games for my age group at the time. But a part of me always wanted go be that undefeated champ at the street fighter 2 cabinet, and having all the glory that came with being a jaded teenager in the early 90's.
MattAY
Posh B**tard

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing on the SF2 arcade machine on holidays in Spain against my brother. We played for a solid 3 hours and spent so much money, we also forgot about dinner....it's not often I miss a meal people.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always preferred Ryu and Chun Li.

I remember me and my brother were stranded at an RV park one summer so we probably dropped like $40 in a non-Turbo Hyper Fighting cabinet. I'm pretty sure it was SFII The World Warriors, but in arcade cab form which I had never seen before.

Now? I don't know... I feel like Street Fighter and the FGC at large are too insular.
cyberjim2000
Forum Bum

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SL_x1rRg7mM

I would pick Ryu while my friend picks Ken because how we roll.
Bretimus_v2
The Japazillian Dynasty

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

25 years and were finally at 4?

My favorite character was always Ryu. I felt like he's a cool character and always worked him and he was always in the next iteration of SF2

WickedLiquid
In Limbo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched the documentary, now I want to play Street Fighter 2! Anyone who has HD remix hit me up on PSN!
Master_Craig
i liek to draw pictures

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Geeze. I'm as old as Street Fighter. Or vice versa.

It's hard to say, I have two most memorable Street Fighter games. First up is Super Street Fighter II for the SNES. I remember being completely blown away by the intro (Ryu doing a hadouken).

Second, it's Street Fighter Alpha III on the PSP. I used to play with my friend in that game ALL the time.

Like... well, many other players my favourite character of Street Fighter is Ryu.

He's very easy to play as and seems like not only a great beginner character, but a great intermediate and all round kinda character. I like how in every game he's almost the same, so you can just pick up and play basically.

My friend argues Ken is better because Ken seems to attack faster and has combination hits. I disagree with it... for example, with their Hurricane Kick, I think Ryu's is better because as long as it hits once, it'll knock the enemy down with maximum damage. Ken needs to achieve all hits of his Hurricane Kick to achieve maximum damage.

I love his design, how it's so simple yet has become so iconic and in a sense, original, it's been ripped off on so many occasions.
C_nate

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always used to use Blanka even though I felt he was never as good as Ken or Ryu in terms of a move set. I think I started to use him out of spite just to be someone who wasn't just another Ken or Ryu but then after a while as I got better with him I actually started to like him.

Once I started playing Tekken and Soul Calibur though, I pretty much didn't bother with Street Fighter much anymore.
Affen
Freedom Runner

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a Blanka user too. His monsterish appearance was the most appealing.

Fondest memory is one match against my older cousin who was really good at the game. I somehow got him into a stunlock using the head gnawing move and won the match. You could taste the anger lingering in the air after that.

Never been much into fighting games otherwise.
Spacecataz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like I'm the only Dhalsim person around here...
Bretimus_v2
The Japazillian Dynasty

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creepy win dance. No thanks.

LinksOcarina
The Anti-Fanboy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

always a good series, I wish they embraced the weirder side of Street Fighter though, like the EX or Alpha games more.
In Limbo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded Street Figter II: The Animated Movie and watched it with my roomie. He had never seen it but also loves the series. Just to make sure he could appreciate it we watched clips of the live action movie first.

It helped.

But we still giggled over
1) The fact that Chun-Li is a government agent and dresses like.... like Chun-Li
2) Chun-Li's mandatory shower scene
danielrbischoff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How dare you laugh at Chun Li's shower scene! That was incredibly important to my development when I rented that movie from the local library.
UghRochester
Fattest Jedi Around

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whatever you guys do, don't watch The Legend of Chun-Li. The only thing I liked about that movie was Liu Kang is Gen and Chun Li's spinning bird-kick. Oh and happy belated 25th birthday. I didn't have a favorite character.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> General Gaming Topics All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: