More Reviews
REVIEWS Five Nights at Freddy's Review
So damn scary, I had to break every ten minutes just writing this review.

InFamous: First Light Review
Sony’s open-world action game gets new life with a blast from Sucker Punch who’ve got a story dedicated to neon-powered Fetch and her brother.
More Previews
PREVIEWS Fenix Rage Preview
I died. And I died again. Died again. Again and again. Again. Again. Why Do I Love This So Much?!
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES Madden NFL 15
Release date: Out Now

Destiny
Release date: 09/09/14

Ar Nosurge: Ode to an Unborn Star
Release date: 09/23/14

FIFA 15
Release date: 09/23/14

LATEST FEATURES inFamous: First Light Battle Arena Hints, Strategies, Tips [Stream Over]
Watch as I build out our feature of useful tactics for players in Sucker Punch's wave-based and arcade-awesome arena mode.

The Updating List of PAX Indies
We're heading to PAX Prime! Are you looking to check out a few unique indie games while you're there? UPDATED: Dragon Fin Soup, Dungeon of the Endless,

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP KevinS
RIP Robin Williams (1951-2014)
By KevinS
Posted on 08/14/14
Robin Williams (1951-2014) Robin Williams was an absolutely exceptional comedian, talented actor, and holder of a special place in video game history: He was the first really famous gamer I know of. I’m sure there were others, but they kept a comparatively low profile, unlike one...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Open world Star Wars game incoming?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> General Gaming Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lethean
Big Fat Poo Head Who Ignores GR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Open world Star Wars game incoming? Reply with quote

Quote:
A team at EA Canada is working on an open-world Star Wars title, according to several recent job postings for the studio.P

An animation director job posting from last month reveals that EA Canada has a Star Wars team developing "a major new next gen open world action game." That does not appear to be a typo: while tweeting a link to a combat designer posting for a mysterious open-world title in September, the studio's then-recruiter said the unnamed game was indeed a Star Wars project.P

EA Canada is the third studio known to be working on a Star Wars game under Electronic Arts' current decade-long licensing deal with Disney. The other two studios, DICE and EA Redwood Shores (aka Visceral Games), are developing on a new Battlefront, and unknown title in the early stages of production, respectively.P

http://kotaku.com/thats-no-moon-thats-a-possible-open-world-star-wars-1472612003

I would love an open world Star Wars game. I always wanted to see a Star Wars RPG done by Bethesda or a sandbox SW game handled by any capable development team.
Lien
Die Hard Commie Bastard

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calling it, Grand theft Spaceship: Tatooine.

In all seriousness, i could see a Skyrim look-a-like game with the force unleash type gameplay. Add some Jedi powers and some Sith plot, give some Jedi knight like leveling system and bam. You got a star wars game.

Waiting on Longo to burst in here saying skyrim sucks and planestscape is better, aaany minute now...
You can't blame your desire to have a homoerotic orgy on pot.
Longo_2_guns
Ruler of the Queen's Navy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering EA holds a vicelike grip on all Star Wars IPs, expect it to be developed by someone who doesn't have a whole lot of experience making open world games. Especially after EA shut down Pandemic.

A Star Wars game like that is probably gonna happen. The hard part is the "capable dev team" aspect of it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It won't work. I don't think it'll make a good game. I could be wrong, but with the Star Wars galaxy being so massive, it'd be hard to say "woooowwww, here's our open world! It's soooo big! Isn't it soooo big guys?"

IGN "It's quite big."
GameSpot "It's large."
GameInformer "We've seen it. It's really big."

I mean, I've been proven wrong by EA. I know a lot of people think they're big humungo dickheads, but I think they've made a lot of smart moves. They're not at the top of their game, but they could be doing worse considering how big the company has been and how it became a lot smaller over the past three-four years. PvZ Garden Warfare, for example, you could have told me about it before hand and I'd say "you're stupid." I think I did say that. I don't know.

Good Star Wars games please. Open world... or otherwise. Doesn't have to be anything specific like "shooter" but just make it good.
Master_Craig
i liek to draw pictures

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Daniel. I'm not entirely sure how an "open world" Star Wars game would work. The Star Wars universe is absolutely massive, filled with well written worlds, locations and alien races that a lot of gamers may not know about, due to their introduction and involvement in the extended universe.

Skyrim for example is a massive game and a massive world, but it's set in one country only in the world of the Elder Scrolls, that country being Skyrim. Star Wars however is... well, it's literally a universal scale.

That being said, I'd love to see a Star Wars Jedi/Sith game that plays similar to that of Skyrim or something... perhaps with the ability to go to multiple worlds and even space travel. The possibilities are endless but at the same time, every game has its limits.

But like Daniel said, we've all been proven wrong before, especially by EA Games. They might be able to pull it off and pull it off well, we'll just have to wait and see to find out. I'm looking forward to it.
cyberjim2000
Forum Bum

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind seeing a next gen X-Wing/TIE Fighter game. I never really gotten into the whole Jedi stuff and Wedge doesn't need the force. The only open world Star Wars game out at the moment is the Star Wars mod for Mount and Blade:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgLA82pGIeo

If there is going to be an open world Star Wars game, hopefully it does a better job. Very Happy

Last edited by cyberjim2000 on Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Master_Craig
i liek to draw pictures

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cyberjim2000 wrote:
I wouldn't mind seeing a next gen X-Wing/TIE Fighter game. I never really gotten into the whole Jedi stuff and Wedge doesn't need the force. If there is an open world Star Wars game, I'd imagine it to be a lot like the Star Wars mod for Mount and Blade:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgLA82pGIeo

^ - Next gen X-Wing/TIE Fighter game? YES. Very Happy
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And threaten the swtor revenue? Yes that is how lucas art used to think, it's why they shut down galaxies before swtor released.

I do vote that I would love the idea of a skyrim engine star wars.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> General Gaming Topics All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: