More Reviews
REVIEWS Wayward Manor Review
Not even the power of Neil Gaiman and The Odd Gentlemen could save this game from a fate worse than death: a terrible score.

ONE PIECE Unlimited World Red Review
"Unlimited World Red"? More like "Sorta Limited Town and Extended Areas... Red. And Blue. And Some Yellow."
More Previews
PREVIEWS Kirby and the Rainbow Curse Preview
Abandoning paint for clay, Nintendo gets crafty with Kirby once more.
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES Sacred 3
Release date: 08/05/14

Hohokum
Release date: 08/12/14

Tales of Xillia 2
Release date: 08/19/14

Plants Vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare
Release date: 08/19/14

LATEST FEATURES How Bioware Creates Romances
Bioware's games have romances where you might save the world, on the side of course.

We Absolutely Should Be Upset With Club Nintendo's Latest Elite Rewards
Surveys out the wazoo and I get a code for Dr. Luigi?
MOST POPULAR FEATURES Picking Your Gender: 5 Industry Professionals Discuss Queer Identity in Gaming
Women from Naughty Dog, ArenaNet, Harmonix, and Gamespot unite to talk about what they want from games in terms of diversity.

Coming Soon

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP Kakulukia
Why Sunset Overdrive Can Go Suck A Lemon
By Kakulukia
Posted on 07/14/14
Yesterday, while cleaning up my media center, I found my copy of Ratchet & Clank: Into The Nexus, which I bought sometime before Christmas last year. I had been pretty excited about this game pre-release, what with it being the first "traditional", albeit shorter than usual,...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Wasteland 2 beta Stream *developers seem to be okay with it*

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silios
Risible Foofaraw

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:58 pm    Post subject: Wasteland 2 beta Stream *developers seem to be okay with it* Reply with quote

The stream was played last night, this is the video of it. inXile dev team actually joined in the chat last night.

This isn't my stream btw. If this violates any TOS on GR please delete my post since I may be busy with something else.

http://www.twitch.tv/theadrain/b/486738561

Quote from Gamebanshee

Quote:
Alright, I'm going to keep this relatively brief (for my standards) because I will be writing a preview for GB at some point, and you guys will be able to play it soon anyway.

Full disclosure: I started playing Wasteland 2 about two weeks ago, and there have been about six or seven patches since then; the game has seen really big improvements even in the span of those two weeks. Up to now I've provided inXile with 4 documents' worth of feedback totaling about 60 pages and 12,000 words, and was probably responsible for delaying the beta by another week or two, as well as for the premature hair loss of several employees (sorry).

To me, the game feels like Fallout 1 & 2 (more Fallout 1 scale but with the "feel" of Fallout 2), but also with Wasteland's trademark style of humour. Wasteland 2 does not quite feel like a 100% direct Wasteland sequel due the different art style, combat, perspective, etc., but neither is it a clone of Fallout.

The story so far is nothing special, however, dialogue with characters is often very lengthy and well-written (typos exempt). There is definitely plenty of stuff to laugh at and lots of funny references, but I think they fit in way better with Wasteland than with Fallout. However, the game also does not go overboard; it's far more tonally consistent than some games even when it mixes in some more bizarre stuff.

Jesus fuck Mark Morgan is a god. The soundtrack right now is really fucking good.

The combat is very good. Right now it's easily on par with the new XCOM (and plays very similarly, with a near-equivalent cover system and square grid movement), but perhaps a bit more mechanically sophisticated due to ammo types and that sort of thing. It's not Jagged Alliance or 7.62, but it's some of the best turn-based party-based combat I have played in the context of a traditional CRPG. It's also surprisingly challenging (and it got bumped up significantly over the last couple weeks once I started giving feedback).

Similarly, encounter design and enemy behavior in combat is solid. There is good variety in enemy weaponry and types, and different enemies have different abilities that can change how you will fight them. Right now I think that enemies could do more with stuff like area effects (grenades, toxic gas, whatever) but I don't think grenades are implemented yet, so that might be why.

Note: combat is not optional. You cannot stealth through the entire game or talk through every fight. I think at times some parts feel a bit too combat-heavy and monotonous; however, despite there being a bit much combat at times for my tastes, it's still well broken up with dialogue and situation-specific challenges in the environment.

The character system is great: simple and easy to understand, but with plenty of options. Everything fits into 10-point scales, but depending on the skill and the tier, there are different costs (i.e. it costs more to unlock a skill than to put points in once it's level 1). You don't get too many points for each level-up so you do have to think about how you spend them, and I do not think it will be possible to max out everything across your entire party (though realistically you can probably eventually get about 75-80% of the way).
Although skill balance right now is a bit limited (they simply need more opportunities to use certain skills), the majority of them feel useful and rewarding. Unlike, say, Fallout: New Vegas, there are in fact skills targeted towards both the early and late game, so not everything is useful right from the start, and there are some which logically have more uses than others, which I actually kinda like. Like other old-school RPGs, there are a lot of options to use skills in the environment organically without being told to, and most skill use is actually done outside of dialogue for a change.

Right now two of my biggest complaints are quest design and lack of C&C. There are actually a lot of quests, but usually there's only one or two major quests with much in the way of multiple solutions per-location. There's also a lack of reactivity beyond one big choice you make early on, which admittedly does have very significant consequences. That's not to say it's bad (and there are a few quests that are very good this way), just not quite up to, say, Fallout 2 standards yet. Just bear in mind it's a work-in-progress and that a lot of the time, new quest options and consequences to different resolutions are often one of the last things added during development. I've talked a lot with Thomas about this, and this is a priority for inXile to work on right now.

The other big complaint I have is the UI. I think most of the HUD itself is great, however, the character screen, inventory and other menus need a lot of work (aesthetically; functionality is quite good). I think inXile already have plans to overhaul the UI so you don't need to waste breath complaining about it, but maybe some aspiring Codex artists could do a mock-up or two to help out?

Anyway, that's about it for now. It's worth noting that all my complaints right now are mostly WIP-related or things the devs already know about, which bodes well in my opinion. Overall I think it's very promising; Wasteland 2 is definitely fun and engaging, which is the most important part.

Longo_2_guns
Ruler of the Queen's Navy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, there's a Wasteland 2 beta out?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you backed it on Kickstarter there is.
Longo_2_guns

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably should have done that then.

OH WELL!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is Wasteland all about?
Lien
Die Hard Commie Bastard

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longo_2_guns wrote:

http://www.gamerevolution.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27081&highlight=wasteland
Sigh... I've been shouting about the beta for a long while too, longo... Why do you think i KEEP bringing up wasteland when you won't shut up about the "RPGness" of fallout new vegas?

And let's put it this way, Daniel. Do you know fallout? Well Fallout was pretty much a "ripoff" of wasteland cept they took away the "rangers" and replaced it with "brotherhood of steel" and by ripoff i mean they got everyone involve from the team cept for the guy who created wasteland in person, brian fargo. It was because EA took the interplay studios and some of the interplay crew didn't like that so they made Black isle studio. He was always the guy presenting fallout and was the "spiritual director" (hence why when you look at the credits, it'll say Brian fargo presents: fallout) but ever since fallout tactic, he was always left behind the table for future installment.

And then we got people like longo who keep saying that fallout new vegas is "more true" to fallout without realizing that Brian fargo and his boys were always left in the cold. So when he decided he had enough of people making that assumption, he started his own studio, got some of the old crew members back and then started a kickstarter to finally make a sequel to his old 1988 game.

Check out this video to see more what this game will be like. (skip to 2:48 for the gameplay) or even this one if you want to see some beta footage. I'm hype!
Green_Lantern
Spacecataz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lien wrote:
Longo_2_guns wrote:

Sigh... I've been shouting about the beta for a long while too, longo... Why do you think i KEEP bringing up wasteland when you won't shut up about the "RPGness" of fallout new vegas?

There's nothing about a beta in that thread.
Longo_2_guns

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you've never said anything about a beta before.

And Wasteland is to Fallout what Warhammer is to Warcraft. Except the difference is that no one ever did a damn thing with the Wasteland IP after the first game, and instead like Lien said opted to make Fallout instead.

So it's basically a modern version of the classic Fallout games. Which is awesome.
Risible Foofaraw

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lien wrote:
Longo_2_guns wrote:

And let's put it this way, Daniel. Do you know fallout? Well Fallout was pretty much a "ripoff" of wasteland cept they took away the "rangers" and replaced it with "brotherhood of steel" and by ripoff i mean they got everyone involve from the team cept for the guy who created wasteland in person, brian fargo. It was because EA took the interplay studios and some of the interplay crew didn't like that so they made Black isle studio. He was always the guy presenting fallout and was the "spiritual director" (hence why when you look at the credits, it'll say Brian fargo presents: fallout) but ever since fallout tactic, he was always left behind the table for future installment.

And then we got people like longo who keep saying that fallout new vegas is "more true" to fallout without realizing that Brian fargo and his boys were always left in the cold. So when he decided he had enough of people making that assumption, he started his own studio, got some of the old crew members back and then started a kickstarter to finally make a sequel to his old 1988 game.

Check out this video to see more what this game will be like. (skip to 2:48 for the gameplay) or even this one if you want to see some beta footage. I'm hype!

Okay, a lot of that is true but some of it is a bit hyperbolic. Fallout is heavily inspired by Wasteland, but BoS aren't Rangers. Fallout has a completely different world and feeling to it than Wasteland. For someone who doesn't know CRPG lore, it's basically like saying the first Call of Duty was a rip off of Medal of Honor... It's kind of hard to say that when a lot of the people working on the project came from the original and both games have drastically changed from their inception (Fallout games don't feel like Fallout games now, and Wasteland 2 plays like a Fallout game and not Wasteland...)

New Vegas is an amazing game, but Wasteland 2 looks more like a Fallout game in the classical sense. That being said, Wasteland's lore is nothing like the retro futurism you get in Fallout. They both share a snarky sense of humor though.

Brian Fargo is a really great guy bringing back classic CRPG genre, but keep in mind Obsidian (the people behind New Vegas) are doing the same with Project Eternity. J.E. Sawyer and Chris Avellone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKoDTzea79Y

All-in-all 2014 is looking like a great year for CRPG's. We also have Shadowrun Returns Berlin coming early next year too.

EDIT: Forgot to mention Planescape Torment spiritual sequel Brian Fargo is working on too. Though I highly doubt we'll see it by 2014... Maybe a beta late-late next year?
213EDD

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Wasteland 2 beta Stream *developers seem to be okay with Reply with quote

Silios wrote:

This isn't my stream btw. If this violates any TOS on GR please delete my post since I may be busy with something else.

Silios
Risible Foofaraw

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel can confirm I've been... away... for about two years. Last thing I remember was Maca was still admining the forum and typewriter was a moderator.
Longo_2_guns

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silios wrote:
Last thing I remember was Maca was still admining the forum and typewriter was a moderator.

Typewriter was never a mod. You're probably thinking of someone else.
Risible Foofaraw

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good News Everyone!

You can now participate in the beta via steam for only 60 bucks.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/12094/
Silios
Risible Foofaraw

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got a tweet from Brian Fargo, expect an optimization fix and update after the break.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> PC All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: