More Reviews
REVIEWS Dark Souls II: Crown of the Sunk Review
I was confident in my Dark Souls abilities. Then From Software released new Dark Souls II DLC.

The Swapper Review
One of 2013's best indie games swaps its way to Sony platforms.
More Previews
PREVIEWS Pillars of Eternity Preview
For Obsidian's crowdfunded love letter to Infinity Engine games like Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate, I was impressed by its willingness to pull back the curtain and let me see the machinery behind it.
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES CounterSpy
Release date: 08/19/14

Tales of Xillia 2

Plants Vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare

Madden NFL 15
Release date: 08/26/14

LATEST FEATURES Water, Water Everywhere: 15 of the Best Water Worlds in Gaming
Lots of water worlds suck, but not these ones, and they're completely Kevin Costner-free.

An Updating List of PlayStation 4 Updates We Want
Sony and Microsoft have been updating their consoles regularly, but we wanted to share our own ideas for updating the PS4 firmware.
MOST POPULAR FEATURES Picking Your Gender: 5 Industry Professionals Discuss Queer Identity in Gaming
Women from Naughty Dog, ArenaNet, Harmonix, and Gamespot unite to talk about what they want from games in terms of diversity.

Coming Soon

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP oneshotstop
Call of Duty will never be the same
By oneshotstop
Posted on 07/28/14
       We've all been there. Everyone remembers that mission. You and your partner are climbing up the mountains in the snow, striving to pull some slick clandestine operation about getting some intel on a bad guy, or something similar (because let's face...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
GR 2013 GOTY - Pokemon X/Y vs. Shadow Warrior

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Game Revolution Forum Index -> General Gaming Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
used44

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: GR 2013 GOTY - Pokemon X/Y vs. Shadow Warrior Reply with quote

Welcome to the Game Revolution 2013 Game of the Year showdown!
Enjoy some well-written defenses of some of the year's best games, then vote on which game you want to see advance!
Today's round one match-up is: Pokemon X/Y vs. Shadow Warrior

Why is Pokemon X/Y the best game of 2013?

Welcome to the world of 3D Pikachu! The latest itineration of the traditional Pokémon franchise welcomes its newest protagonist to the wonderful world of the Kalos region. The first Pokémon release on the 3DS welcomes the added power of the newest Nintendo handheld with a massive graphics and color palette upgrade and a new stylized combat complete with excellent battle animations. While Pokémon X/Y only adds 69 new Pokés to the game, upping the total Pokédex number to a whopping 718 unique Pokés, many consider the 69 new Pokés to be the best new “generation” of Pokémon since Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire. With the new Pokes, Game Freak even added a new type – fairy – to combat the always powerful Dragon types. Pokémon X/Y make online trading much more enjoyable than ever before by bringing about new changes to the online aspect of the game, making the GTS as easy to access as ever before, and adding Wonder Trading – completely random trades to whoever in the world the system pairs you with. Even the typical “rival” has been changed, rather than that one annoying neighbor who always thinks he’s better than you, you join the forces of four other kids your age as you travel the Kalos region as friends rather than enemies.

Does Pokémon X/Y do enough to recapture lapsed fans of the Pokémon franchise?

Yes, the same old Pokémon formula, create a team of 6 (or more) Pokés to challenge 8 gym leaders and finally the Pokémon League, is still around (minus the “rival”!), Pokémon is still one of the biggest franchises in video game history, showing that many, many people still enjoy the same old formula. Many even consider it the deepest turn based RPG around. What Pokémon X/Y does better than any of its predecessors is that it gives you vivid colors and excellent combat animations, and makes the online aspect of Pokémon the best it’s ever been, to create a much better overall and more complete experience than ever before.

How is Pokémon X/Y better than Shadow Warrior?

Do we really need another first person shooter in the world of first person shooters? Easily the most over used genre in the video game industry is at it again. What the hell is a Shadow Warrior anyway? Sounds like some sort of backwoods ninja who couldn’t cut it in ninja school.

Shadow Warrior is brought to us by Lien!

Why is Shadow Warrior the best game of 2013? Why don't more people know about Shadow Warrior? How is Shadow Warrior better than Pokemon X/Y?

Let's go back in time a little, on the same year the first pokemon game came out. First person shooter were all the rage. From Quake, to Hexen, to Rise of the triad, to Blood, to Redneck rampage, it was a golden age of the FPS genre. While each game were basic in their similarity, it wasn't their game mechanics that made them stand out, or their popularity. It was their themes, the tones, the atmosphere, the comedy and the drama. Indeed, it's hard to describe it to young people today but in those days, gamers of old cared more about the content of the game rather then how it looks or how immerse the game could be. Those same people wanted heart, they wanted to see risks being taken and they wanted to see how the creator's content stood out rather then do the same and hope it'll be better. And each time any of those games were the topic of discussion around those 1990's water cooler in a stock firm office, it wasn't on "how amazing the graphics is" or "how deep the characters are". They only cared how the game was fun or not! Today? the only thing people care about FPS nowaday is if it got RPG elements in it, if the story would fool people into thinking it's the next Gatsby (hint: no it's not) or if it gives you ranks in online play so you can unlock the air strikes. I don't' want any of that! Give me chickens shot out of a rocket while i finish a bottle of rum in the bayou! Give me a perfume bottle set on fire to make some make shift Molotov cocktails while i ride the hellish carnival! Give me Voodoo dolls where i can ripe the head out and watch the demon squirm! Give me dark magical staff that turns the enemy in ice and can be shattered with a small kick in a medieval dungeon! Give me heat seeking missiles i can shoot at cultist nazies in a hallway! Why is this SO HARD to find anything remotely like this today? It used to be the fruit of the street.

Enter, 2013 Shadow warrior. From the people behind Serious Sam, Hard reset and Hotline Miami.

Now before i talk about the game, meet Lo Wang (you can stop giggling now). And i wish to bring a spot light on this unique character.

He's a Japanese hitman in the suburb of Tokyo who always guarantees a kill during each contract or your money back. His favorite hobby includes, but is not limited, American comics collection (mostly the 90's era), arcade games, first person shooters, cult Hollywood movies, 80's cartoons and attempts at puns... also shooting critics of said puns in their throats. Of all the protagonist i had to relate to in the past few years, he is the one that stands out among the turds. He is harsh to act, hates long sobbing stories that bores him, would rather shoot now then hear the antagonist make one more long speech on world domination and each time a giant creatures stomps his way onto the screen, he doesn't flinch off the danger like a disgruntle space marine or make a emotionless comment on how huge this guy is after gasping in horror, no, he Giggles... That's right, when a huge creature readies his giant sword to cut down our main man Lo Wang, our Asian hitman giggles like a school girl wondering what happens next: Will the giant creature's arms fly off first or his legs? His wits is his main charm
And i am not talking about Dante level of badly acted snarkyness (which makes you wonder why people actually love this guy in the first place), Drake's sighs and raising eyebrow when he is surrounded by mercenaries after making a "here we go again" comment (and resisting the urge to strangle Nolan North's neck), or Deadpool's wink to the audience as he makes a horrible pop culture reference that makes you want to throw your controller to the moon. I am talking about a character whose passions and emotions is easily translatable to the player not because his personality is realistic or comedic but rather our protagonist realize that this world he lives in is fun. There are demons at the gates, honor to be revenged and a world destroying sword to be retrieved but all he does is make orgasmic grunts while a demon bash him to a tree thinking how his deepest fantasy of being a superhero is finally coming to reality. I am gonna be serious to you guys, the last time i met any video game character with charms similar to Lo Wang's persona is Yakuza series' Mad dog Goro Majima. And he's supposed to be a villain!

But now that i finished trying to sell you this game with just the protagonist alone, let me now start talking about the game itself.

2013's Asian theme mythology version of Shadow warrior is a remake of 3D realms 1997's dark comedy Shadow Warrior. The game is what people call an "Arcade first person shooter". Meaning it isn't a game whose main attribute is the story, the graphics, the leveling system or the characters (despite my proposal to marriage up there) but rather the gameplay. A quick look at the combat scenes in this game and you can tell it's made by the same people behind hard reset or serious same. Each enemy has a tactic best used against. From the charger types, the flying range attackers and the bulking shield weaving big tough guys, the whole purpose of these enemies is not to make the game an easy bloodbath but to exploit their weakness to your benefit. You have to dash side step for the charger least you get knock back into a corner, you have to hide behind a pillar to protect you from the range attackers and you have to shoot at the back of the shield bearers to hurt him, this is the basic of the "Arcade first person shooter" genre. If you do try to charge in like an idiot or stick to "cover base shooting", you will be punished. This is an old school FPS game. You charge in, you watch your step and you pick up health items when needed. There's power up items everywhere and lots of ammo to spare, so don't hold back and shoot away. You WILL get rewarded for overkill. God i missed those type of games!

Now you are starting to get how the game works, let's talk about the flavor of this vast cake of joy, the weapons!
There are two types of weapons in this game: the ones you cut people with and the one you blow up people with. Everything else is just variation of these types. First off, there all all the guns we learned to be familiar with as we grew up in the 90's gaming era. We got the duel wielding uzi guns, the bomb-strapped crossbow dart gun, the "i want to clear the room in 5 seconds flat" Gatling gun and so much more. Each weapon is upgradable via money you can find searching houses and exploring the environment. While some upgrades simply increase the rate of fire and the ammo, others seem to change the method on how the gun is used. Such as removing the safety of the pistol to switch the shooting into a more western feel or adding a "hold to increase damage" mechanism for your crossbow. But the main feature of the armory is, of course, the katana sword. No matter which weapon you use, this handy tool of the rising sun can quickly be used with the touch of quick action button. This weapon is the entire theme of the game and boy, does it show. It can cut up enemies into dice of cubes, stains the walls and carpet red with demon and human blood, uses samurai like moves with the help of your direction move key and can also shoot out magical shredding air waves... Oh sorry... did i forget to mention you can get magical abilities? Cause you totally can.

The magical spells (or the Ki moves like they are called in the games) aren't weapons per se. They do not use ammo and some have unlimited uses with no cooldown. What they are, are tools to help you kill things. Remember three paragraphs up how i talk to you about how this game punishes you when you make the wrong move? Well the main purpose of these "Ki moves" is to help you out when you make too much of these mistakes. As the game progresses and the waves of enemies are starting to be more diverse and numerous. You'll realize it'll be hard to think on your two feet. And so, with the magical help of your right click mouse button (or your left trigger) you can quickly cast a spell to either help you push waves of enemies away, stun a strongbad, shield you from frontal danger or simply heal you. Similiar to the weapons, they too can be upgradable but unlike the monetary system, the spells can only be upgradable on how well you play the game. Each room has a five star rating that judge your work, perform well and you will get points to increase the effect of your spells. Note that none of the spell actually hurts the enemy. You have to actually shoot or cut them down soon after if you wish to survive the day. Like i said before, the spells aren't exploitable weapons, they are tools to make the cake easier to slice... and by "cake" i mean the soft flesh body of your enemies and by "slice" i mean gush out gallons of blood.

Speaking of gallons of blood, let's segway into the topic of the tone of the game. In the first Shadow Warriors games, back in 1997, the theme of the game was pretty much what the average white American privileged rich kid thought of japan thanks to pop culture. We got sushi bars here, some ninjas and sumo wrestlers here and there, lots of reference to anime and tentacle hentai, constant jokes about small penises, lots of reference of stereotypical japanese style entrepreneurship (like suicide bombers... oh boy...) and... fried rice? Aww come on! That last one is too far!
Aaaaaanyway, you have to admit, depending on your stance on Dane Cook's joke... er i mean 3D realms' humor, you have to admit these sort of things would offend the average Japanese. If not, then all of the asian-american gamers. Hence why i love so much about this new game's approach. The entire setting of the game is Suburbia Japan. No, not Tokyo or Okinawa, i mean small villages in the country side surrounded by Bamboo forests. I am not talking about the Moe scene setting here, i am talking about a setting for a Takashi Kitano film. That's right, instead of taking the Pop culture approach, 2013's Shadow Warriors decide to tale the ACTUAL real culture of japan as a setting. We are talking about buildings that still bears the Edo era architecture mixed with the technology of the modern world, the cherry trees are blooming in this time of the year, the wooden bridges just begs for the ghost of Akira Kurosawa's ghost to appear and yell out "ACTION!" in the background and even the interior of houses shows respect and understanding of Japanese household tradition. If the game would just be an empty world simulator, it would still be a work of art. Just the silent walk in the dark bamboo forest, illuminated by nothing but fireflies and still standing stone Shinto lanterns, the sound of the rivers flowing and the wildlife running away after you make a loud step would inspire poets into making Haikus on the meaning of life. The developers learned their lessons, you don't have to turn Japan into a joke to make a Japanese setting. They have handled critics with maturity and then improved from their past mistakes. Even the character Lo Wang has shown this as well since in the previous game, he had no personality but a bad accent and yellow face acting. Now, his personality isn't centered around his ethnicity but rather his passions for his hobbies and his ever gleeful laughter at danger. He even say his name with the correct pronunciation, removing the immature joke it once bore. Well done, Shadow Warriors team! ...Oh and they also kept the humping bunnies from the old game too!

Now, i know i told you guys that the story isn't important since the whole game is nothing but enter a room and slice your enemies into Sashimi. But i wish to still make a last note of it since it involve a topic rarely touched in western game: Japanese Mythology. The whole game centers around a sword that is sought out by rich Japanese business men and by mythical creatures simply called "The shadow ones". It's an all out war between Yakuza like gangsters and Yokai/Oni like demons straight out of Shigeru Mizuki's work. Lo Wang, the player, have only once motivation to get the sword away from either two groups: to get paid. That's it, he has a contract, he wants to finish it no matter the blood running in the street or the corpses of innocent on the sidewalk. He's a selfish hit-man and that is all you need to know of his motivations. He latter finds a side-kick, a banished demon who lost everything but his mask and seeks the sword in order to, at the very least, get his memories back. I always smile at the duo's conversation one is clearly the smart one who constantly mocks the other with Cicero like jests while the other just wants to finish his job and wants to know if he can perform demon acupuncture with a katana sword. A favorite scene of mine is after our demon friend bores Lo Wang with the reason why there's a demon invasion, he tricks him into believing he is the destined one to fulfilled to prophecy... of being a naive moron! Nice lampshade hanging moment here.

So then, some of you must be asking, how come this game features all this and yet... it went under the radar? It got a 75% review score on the meta critics, was praised by top internet critics like Andy Dixon who called it "The best game i played this decade" or even Kevin VanOrd who was quoted to say that what Duke nukem Forever failed at, Shadow warrior succeeded it and is still praised daily on their official twitter to this day. Why is this game... being ignored? Well this is my personal opinion but i want to say it's being an underground hit because that was the main purpose of the entire development. Meet the two team behind this gem: Flying Wild Hog and Devolver Digital. Their past experience include Serious Sam, Hotline miami and Hard reset. Now of the three games, i want to bring attention to Hard reset. Just like Shadow Warrior, Hard reset was also an underground hit. It met good reviews and got recommended by critics left and right in their top 10 list of the year. Yet the sales? The mentions on reviews sites? too few for it's good. It was a game made with heart, by people who missed the old style of video games but wanted to modernize it. Does anyone even make any reference to the game when they bash the latest multimillion dollar game sequel? Nope, not even a "hard reset made it with less then half the budget". It's an underground hit and somethings tells me that Flying Wild Hog knew this was going to happen with Shadow Warrior as well. And so, instead of going for broke, they made it small. They decided to cut away the useless fat. And yeah, you can see that. As soon as you launch the game, you'll see some graphic hiccups in some cutscenes, maybe the loading times will make you groan if you got a slow computer and don't get me started on the game length. Even with the replayability, this game will still feel short. But you know what? Knowing all that first hand, this game deserved all that cut. It is cheap, filled with energy, every detail was made on purpose and no matter your final opinion on the game, you cannot deny that the game was made with all the love and sweat of an underrated team who just wanted to make a fun games for their fans rather then make a once of a lifetime experience for billions of strangers. Can you say the same with games like Last of us, Bioshock Infinite or GTA 5 or are you being fooled by the hype? Do you really think that the hollywood A+ star voice acting, the 300 hours on graphic details for a single tire of a car or how "Incredibly deep" the ending of a game... is what makes a game fun or just memorable? Sometimes, i seem to fall for the marketing trap then regret it after the hype falls down but i am glad that Shadow Warriors and its fanbase is proving me wrong even after months of its release. Shadow Warrios deserves to be the game of the year because, just like how the game intro is presented, it's a slap to the face reminding us that games are suppose to be fun... and we are starting to forget it.

Now on the subject if my pick of Shadow Warrior is better than Green lantern's pick Pokemon X/Y, i personally believe that everyone is entitle to their passion. Either of these two game caters to their fanbase first then invites strangers to join their community and be part of a crowd. An approach i actually really like and wish games would do more of that then claim that no one should miss it. Still, i have to give a metaphor to express the difference between the two games despite my love for both.
Imagine that Shadow Warriors and Pokemon X/Y are both Japanese restaurants. Shadow Warrior is located on a small street in Japan town S.F. It's a family own business, passed down by grandfather to grandson. After you enter through the door, you are greeted by the owner's teenage son, acnee and all, and just points to you to a seat instead of actually guiding you there. He then hands you a menu with paste-on photos of what the meal would look like, you raise your eyebrows as some of the meals doesn't even say what's in it except for the correct pronunciation of the Japanese word. Still, you order what seems to be a rice bowl and some sort of Alaskan rolls. While you wait, you notice there's only you and an elderly couple in the small room. It feels awkward at first until the food arrives... served in family bowls complete with pictures of animals on the side. And not only that but it was also the cook, who is also the owner, who personally served you the meal. While you eat, the cook takes a seat beside you and actually start to chat with you, thick Japanese accent an all. He helps you pronounce some words right and even teaches you how to use the chopstick correctly and even on how to hold the bowl as you eat. You pay your meal, you leave and after giving a shrug, you decide to check out the Yelp review of this place. I only got 6 reviews where 2 are people who hated the slow services and the rude staff, 3 are people who love the family feels and 1 is written in Japanese.
Now let's look at the Pokemon X/Y restaurant. It's a Global franchise who boast their 30000+ staff hired worldwide and show off their branches in the Kilimanjaro and in the garden of Versailles. You decide to enter their restaurant in Bangkok, Thailand. As soon as the door automatically opens before you, you are overwhelmed by the loud noise of the 300+ customers talking to each other. A properly dressed waitress with a tablet and a headphone guides you to your table after taking a small trek past the over crowded counters of loud business men. You open your menu that is translated in 15 different language (none of them in proper English) and decide to order on the meal with the least calorie count. To your amazement, you find that the cook approach you and cooks on your freakin' table! He bows then leaves... leaving you puzzled on how the heck you are suppose to eat this (much less if it's alive or not). It was thanks to a another patron who hands you a "How to eat in Pokemon strategy guide book" that you figure out you can just use your fork. You pay (at the counter) and leave, your head still spinning from all the loud noise and the confusion on what you were eating but still, you wanted to check the Yelp review and see what the average californian thought of this tokyo experience. You find out it got 30000 reviews in so many languages, dialects and questionable morality sentiment you decide it's not worth finding one in English.
And that's who i view the difference between the Shadow Warrior and Pokemon X/Y. One is my experience when i ate in Kui Shin Bo and the other is my experience when i went to eat at Zuma restaurant in Bangkok

Continue the discussion below and vote for which game you want to see advance to round two.
PLEASE PUT YOUR VOTES IN BOLD

Thanks!
Bretimus_v2
The Japazillian Dynasty

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having played neither, I choose Shadow Warrior because I just don't enjoy the Pokemons and that was a pretty cool intro.

Green_Lantern
Spacecataz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pokemon because tl;dr
LinksOcarina
The Anti-Fanboy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pokemon X and Y
Ruler of the Queen's Navy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green_Lantern wrote:
Pokemon because tl;dr

Die Hard Commie Bastard

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes, i forget that Longo and Green lantern got short attention spam...
WickedLiquid
In Limbo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lien wrote:
Sometimes, i forget that Longo and Green...

-Oh look some hot chick claims she knows me in this pop-up window!

Wait what were we talking about again?

I haven't played either so I'll abstain from this one.
Lien
Die Hard Commie Bastard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you played one pokemon game, wicked, you played them all.

Just saying... my games got Gratuitous sex. With pokemon, you have to pause your game and google the porn.
danielrbischoff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadow Warrior. A for effort, right there.

Last edited by danielrbischoff on Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lien
Die Hard Commie Bastard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, i guess i should vote for my own game.
Shadow Warrior!

Also, thanks Daniel. Please play the game too! I got a feeling you or nick might like this.
Starling

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I have played and enjoyed Pokemon games (not X and Y though), Shadow Warrior was just SO MUCH FUN TO PLAY!

Shadow Warrior definitely. It was like Bioshock Infinite in many ways but with great deals of FUN!!! poured over it. It was fun. It was more fun than a great deal of games released this year.
WickedLiquid
In Limbo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lien wrote:
sex

Shadow Warrior[/b]
danielrbischoff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lien wrote:
Also, thanks Daniel. Please play the game too!

Ha, no way.
Bretimus_v2
The Japazillian Dynasty

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember playing the original on my computer. That was enough for me.

madster111
The Original Pie Lover

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pokemans X/Y

BarackObama,Putin,DavidCameron,XiJinpingAndseveralothers wrote:
Song of the year, every year.
UghRochester
Fattest Jedi Around

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't f*cking know. Shadow Warrior
Freedom Runner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Lien just sold me a game. I've been craving for some over the top stuff.

Shadow Warrior
Spacecataz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You all have terrible taste in games.

Except for whoever voted Pokemon.
MattAY
Posh B**tard

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pokémon X & Y

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadow Warrior wins 7-4 and advances to round two!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Game Revolution Forum Index -> General Gaming Topics All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: