More Reviews
REVIEWS Boo Bunny Plague Review
If you think you can enjoy the definition of budget game design, this one might make you laugh.

Minimum Review
With so many shooters crowding the marketplace, it’s refreshing to see Minimum take the low-fi route through Steam Early Access.
More Previews
PREVIEWS Halo: The Master Chief Collectio Preview
Microsoft and 343 Industries want to bring the entire Halo saga to Xbox One and this collection does exactly that with new graphics for Halo 2.
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
Release date: 09/30/14

Alien: Isolation
Release date: 10/07/14

The Evil Within
Release date: 10/14/14

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
Release date: 10/14/14

LATEST FEATURES PS4's Until Dawn Scared Me Out of My Headphones - TGS Hands-On, Headset-Off Preview
Hopefully it doesn't keep me awake... for the whole night!

NIntendo Download September 2014 - Updating Each Week
OK, so I didn't update before PAX and I may have missed one before that. Let's try this again!
MOST POPULAR FEATURES The Updating List of PAX Indies
We're heading to PAX Prime! Are you looking to check out a few unique indie games while you're there? UPDATED: Dragon Fin Soup, Dungeon of the Endless,

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP shandog137
A Letter to the Big “N"
By shandog137
Posted on 09/12/14
I have and will continue to have a place in my heart for Nintendo. In fact, my first console was a Super Nintendo. The video game market has changed drastically since the early '90s and it seems like what once was platinum is more so along the lines of silver now. Nintendo has always been...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Soooo I got my PS3 today...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Klandathu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Soooo I got my PS3 today... Reply with quote

I get it hooked up, turned on, and updated. I go to create a PSN account and...the service is currently under maintenance. For the next eight hours, as it seems. No Netflix, no multiplayer (not that I have anything to play right now anyway...), no online features of any sort. Is this the sort of reliability I get to look forward to with this system? Because as of right now, it's not off to a great day-one start.

On a side note, I have my system's username set as my first name. Is that going to be the same as my PSN handle, or do I have to create a separate one for that? Also, is there anything else I should know about this thing?
De-Ting
Formerly Known as Prince

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a coincidence. Maintenance doesn't happen all that often.

The system username is just what you'll see on a list of local area network devices. Your PSN ID is what you'll decide on when you sign up for an account.

o--(^-^)--o
Klandathu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

De-Ting wrote:

The system username is just what you'll see on a list of local area network devices. Your PSN ID is what you'll decide on when you sign up for an account.

Good to know. I'm probably just jumping the gun a bit with my apprehensiveness. I've spent the majority of the day so far cleaning and doing chores. It's got me a bit grumpy and groggy. I'll get it all squared away later this evening.
De-Ting
Formerly Known as Prince

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me clarify something.

The username you're talking about is just so you know which account is which on the system. So games will use that name to give your character a name, but nobody online will ever see it.

The system name, which I thought you were referring to initially, is exactly what I said it is. You can change that in the system settings. The default is something like "PS3-90210".

o--(^-^)--o
Klandathu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

De-Ting wrote:

I got my PSN ID set up, and yet here I am still watching Netflix on my 360 because it's not working on the PSN. I haven't even done anything on my PS3 yet, and I'm already preferring Xbox Live to the Playstation Network.

We spent most of the afternoon at the doctor's office checking out ultrasound pictures, and now the kids are screaming for their mind-numbing educational kids' shows, so the amount of gaming I do tonight will be minimal (if not altogether non-existent). I'm really pulling for The Last of Us to redeem my PS3 experience thus far. I really want to enjoy this console and all the great games it has to offer.
De-Ting
Formerly Known as Prince

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a thing or two about skepticism toward new experiences that don't instantly deliver the goods, but I promise you you'll warm up to the PS3 as you explore everything on offer. The Instant Game Collection available with PlayStation Plus is something you should check out. Maybe some of the free games will tickle your fancy.

o--(^-^)--o
Klandathu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

De-Ting wrote:
I know a thing or two about skepticism toward new experiences that don't instantly deliver the goods, but I promise you you'll warm up to the PS3 as you explore everything on offer. The Instant Game Collection available with PlayStation Plus is something you should check out. Maybe some of the free games will tickle your fancy.

Yeah, I need to further investigate Playstation Plus to see what it's all about and whether or not it's worth the money.
Gunner37
Mr. Manga

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its definitely worth it I just got it when I got my PS4 and just this month I got the new Dmc, Bioshock Infinite, and Borderlands 2 all for free so I'm sold on it definitely worth it
UghRochester
Fattest Jedi Around

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klandathu, I was the same way when I first got my PS3. I actually got my PS3 during Black Friday of 2012. I had 5 games with that bundle. Uncharted and Uncharted 2, Infamous and Infamous 2 and a DLC for one of those games. I didn't have a large library at all. I asked Anthony Severino what for any cheap games to expand my library. He recommended me to get PS Plus. I trusted Anthony and I got PS Plus once I had money. Looked at the library of games and was amazed about how many games I could play. It took me a little over a year to fill up my system's storage. There are great games out on PS Plus now, but they will soon go away and be replaced by others.

The only downside to PS Plus is once your subscription ends, your games will go away (unless you paid for them). However, if you downloaded them and re-subscribe, you can still get them back. Trust me, I was in the same boat as you were, PS Plus is worth it. If you were an Xbox 360 user, you will see Xbox 360 is pretty much for MP games while the PS3 is for SP games.
i liek to draw pictures

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playstation Plus is a cool service... it's really handy. it does suck a little how it's compulsory to have Playstation Plus to go online on the PS4 but... it's worth it. Smile
Klandathu

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll definitely be looking into PS Plus.

Also, I officially do not like The Last Of Us. I'm roughly two hours into the game and I've hit two spots now in which I have died at least a dozen times. It's to the point where it's frustratingly not fun. I'm all for survival horror and taking it back to its roots, but I just don't get this game at all. The story is about the only thing it has going for it at this point. I really hope it starts to even out a bit because I really don't like the prospect of trading a game in before I finish it.
Longo_2_guns
Ruler of the Queen's Navy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't get through The Last of Us, you should probably not play Demon's Souls then.
Formerly Known as Prince

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klandathu wrote:
...I officially do not like The Last Of Us...It's to the point where it's frustratingly not fun.

You and I are in the same boat. I much prefer some good ol' Uncharted where NaughtyDog is concerned.

o--(^-^)--o
Klandathu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longo_2_guns wrote:
If you can't get through The Last of Us, you should probably not play Demon's Souls then.

I tried Dark Souls. Hated it too.
WickedLiquid
In Limbo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just get Heavy Rain already.
Master_Craig
i liek to draw pictures

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klandathu - I'm very surprised you're not fond of The Last of Us, but fair enough man, I can understand your frustration. That game can get difficult from time to time. Hopefully it gets better for you.

I'm not surprised about your dislike to Dark Souls. That's either a "you love it" or "you hate it" kinda game. I hated it at first when I got it on PS3, but when I played it on PC I grew to love it. I'm weird like that.
Klandathu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master_Craig wrote:
Klandathu - I'm very surprised you're not fond of The Last of Us, but fair enough man, I can understand your frustration. That game can get difficult from time to time. Hopefully it gets better for you.

I'm not surprised about your dislike to Dark Souls. That's either a "you love it" or "you hate it" kinda game. I hated it at first when I got it on PS3, but when I played it on PC I grew to love it. I'm weird like that.

Ok, maybe I'm jumping the gun a bit with it. I'm only a short ways into the game. I'm going to go at it again later with fresh eyes and give it another go. I want to like it. I really do. The prologue had me thoroughly enveloped, and the whole concept has my full attention.

And as far as Dark Souls goes, I played it through the second boss fight (the big guy on the castle rampart, I forget his name). After that, I kinda just threw my hands up and said "fuck it." It is a fun game, don't get me wrong, but the difficulty outweighs the fun for me.
Klandathu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WickedLiquid wrote:

Already planning to.

Heavy Rain
God of War (the Saga bundle + Ascension)
The Uncharted series
The Resistance series
Little Big Planet (the girlfriend expressed interest)

This is the short list of games I plan on picking up. Any other recommendations?
Green_Lantern
Spacecataz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WickedLiquid wrote:

lol
Master_Craig
i liek to draw pictures

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Klandathu wrote:
WickedLiquid wrote:

Already planning to.

Heavy Rain
God of War (the Saga bundle + Ascension)
The Uncharted series
The Resistance series
Little Big Planet (the girlfriend expressed interest)

This is the short list of games I plan on picking up. Any other recommendations?

Heavy Rain is a pretty damn good game. I enjoyed it at least. Very intriguing story. My only gripe with Heavy Rain is there's little replay value so once you're done with the game that's it, you're done. Luckily Heavy Rain isn't a very expensive game nowadays.

I've never been into God of War, but it's a popular series and people usually say good things about it.

I love the Uncharted series... I highly recommend that.

Never really been into Resistance but I'm told Resistance 3 is quite good.

LittleBigPlanet is very popular and has gotten a lot of positive reviews. Unfortunately I personally just couldn't get into it.

I really don't know what other PS3 exclusives are around. Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots might be worth a look at, or better yet you could look into the Metal Gear Solid collection on the PS3 instead?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> Sony All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: