Gearbox CEO

Gearbox CEO: ‘If I ran a store, I would curate everything.’

Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford has been very active on Twitter in the past 24 hours. Pitchford began by further addressing the “review-bombing” of Borderlands 2 on Steam before turning his attention to store curation. The Gearbox boss criticized Steam for supposedly letting any games on its platforms, while also placing too heavy a focus on user reviews.

The Gearbox CEO started by advocating for more heavy-handed curation of video game storefronts:

After taking aim at Steam, Pitchford elaborated further on his thoughts:

Pitchford concluded the thread by attempting to point out some real-life parallels to the situation:

The hour-long exchange with users on Twitter ended when Pitchford responded to someone indicating the CEO is unsympathetic to fan concerns. “Why are you following me? Here… let me help you with that. Problem solved.”

Pitchford’s most recent tweets followed previous comments about the Borderlands 2 review-bombing on Steam. Pitchford stated, “That Steam has no interest in correcting this misuse makes me kind of happy about 2k’s decision [Epic Game Store exclusivity] and makes me want to reconsider Gearbox Publishing’s current posture on the platform.”

Since Pitchford’s criticism, Steam has stepped in to attempt to address the issue. Steam chose to mark the review-bombing of last week as “off topic review activity.” The Gearbox CEO’s new stance on Valve’s storefront is in stark contrast to comments made just days earlier. Randy Pitchford stated he would “use all the leverage and influence I can to get our game on Valve’s store as soon as reasonably possible” if Gabe Newell announces Half Life 3. Pitchford then directed enquiries about exclusivity to Borderlands 3 publisher 2K.

Valve announced its latest set of measures to tackle review-bombing earlier this month. The changes the company announced are exactly what was implemented in the case of Borderlands 2. The term “off-topic review” was defined by Valve as a review which it deems to be focused on a topic “unrelated to the likelihood that future purchases will be happy if they buy the game.”

Borderlands 3 is slated for release on September 13 on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and PC.

Upcoming Releases

Eve and her comrades land on the surface to reclaim the extinct Earth and cross paths with a survivor named Adam. Eve is then led by Adam to the last surviving city, Xion, where she meets the elder of the town Orcal and is told many stories. In order to serve her mission to save Earth, Eve develops close relationships…
Tactical, beautiful, and wholly unique, the GOTY-winning sci-fi RTS returns with Homeworld 3. Assume control and battle through fleet combat in dazzling, fully 3D space while the award-winning story unfolds on a galactic scale.
The sequel to the award winning Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice, Senua returns in a brutal journey of survival through the myth and torment of Viking Iceland. Intent on saving those who have fallen victim to the horrors of tyranny, Senua faces a battle of overcoming the darkness within and without.

Reviews

9 SCUF Reflex Review
SCUF is the brand that comes to mind for most people when it comes to custom gaming controllers. It’s been…
X