Child of Light sequel isn’t likely to come out

A couple of years ago, Ubisoft released Child of Light, a well-received, role-playing adventure with beautiful hand-drawn animation. It’s been a big hit across the board – most recently on Switch – and there’s been rumors that a sequel may be on the way. Alas, that’s not likely to be the case, unless the publisher changes its mind sometime soon.

In a recent interview with Video Games Chronicle, creative director Patrick Plourde expressed doubt that the sequel would ever happen.

“I don’t know if there’s a Child of Light 2 that is in production, Ubisoft is big, but I’m not working on it,” Plourde explained. “Right now, I don’t think there’s a Child of Light 2 being produced… I’m not holding my breath.”

But the reasoning behind why we won’t be getting it shows some signs of concern.

“I don’t think it’s the type of game that Ubisoft wants to make,” he said. “The company is not an adolescent company, it is a mature company. And the other things, in terms of portfolio, it’s still supported – we ported it on Switch and we’re still selling a bunch of copies, but it’s just that right now it’s all about games as a service. We can make money out of it, but you can make more money elsewhere. That’s the problem of not being independent while making this.”

That said, he didn’t shut the door entirely on the possibility. A Child of Light TV series is in the works, and a tie-in game is possible. “If it happens, maybe then that could open a door for a sequel, because you’d want to capitalize.”

Ubisoft didn’t have anything official to say on the matter. But here’s hoping it gives a sequel some consideration. The first game sold pretty well for them, and a lot of folks that would probably appreciate a follow-up.

Upcoming Releases

Eiyuden Chronicles: Hundred Heroes is designed to bring players a modern take on a classic JRPG experience. Get ready to lead 100+ playable characters through a war-torn world only you can save.
Eve and her comrades land on the surface to reclaim the extinct Earth and cross paths with a survivor named Adam. Eve is then led by Adam to the last surviving city, Xion, where she meets the elder of the town Orcal and is told many stories. In order to serve her mission to save Earth, Eve develops close relationships…
Tactical, beautiful, and wholly unique, the GOTY-winning sci-fi RTS returns with Homeworld 3. Assume control and battle through fleet combat in dazzling, fully 3D space while the award-winning story unfolds on a galactic scale.
The sequel to the award winning Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice, Senua returns in a brutal journey of survival through the myth and torment of Viking Iceland. Intent on saving those who have fallen victim to the horrors of tyranny, Senua faces a battle of overcoming the darkness within and without.

Reviews

X