More Reviews
REVIEWS Wayward Manor Review
Not even the power of Neil Gaiman and The Odd Gentlemen could save this game from a fate worse than death: a terrible score.

ONE PIECE Unlimited World Red Review
"Unlimited World Red"? More like "Sorta Limited Town and Extended Areas... Red. And Blue. And Some Yellow."
More Previews
PREVIEWS Pillars of Eternity Preview
For Obsidian's crowdfunded love letter to Infinity Engine games like Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate, I was impressed by its willingness to pull back the curtain and let me see the machinery behind it.
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES Sacred 3
Release date: 08/05/14

CounterSpy
Release date: 08/19/14

Tales of Xillia 2

Plants Vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare

LATEST FEATURES How Bioware Creates Romances
Bioware's games have romances where you might save the world, on the side of course.

We Absolutely Should Be Upset With Club Nintendo's Latest Elite Rewards
Surveys out the wazoo and I get a code for Dr. Luigi?
MOST POPULAR FEATURES Picking Your Gender: 5 Industry Professionals Discuss Queer Identity in Gaming
Women from Naughty Dog, ArenaNet, Harmonix, and Gamespot unite to talk about what they want from games in terms of diversity.

Coming Soon

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP Kakulukia
Why Sunset Overdrive Can Go Suck A Lemon
By Kakulukia
Posted on 07/14/14
Yesterday, while cleaning up my media center, I found my copy of Ratchet & Clank: Into The Nexus, which I bought sometime before Christmas last year. I had been pretty excited about this game pre-release, what with it being the first "traditional", albeit shorter than usual,...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Audio books

View previous topic :: View next topic  
used44

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Audio books Reply with quote

Anybody ever listen to audio books? I listen to a crapload of podcasts, so i think maybe I'll give audio books a try. Amazon is offering two free books if you start a trial with Audible, but so far all the samples I've listened to have put me off.

I have no trouble finding books I'm interested in, but I fear the readings would put me to sleep. The voices are either so slow and quiet that it reminds me of a baby's cartoon, or doing goofy voices which reminds me of a baby's cartoon. I've found a few exceptions, usually those read by the author, but these are mostly books I've already read.

Any recommendations for good books with maybe more dynamic readings?
Optimus-Crime
bananable

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Game of Thrones, duh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMvDfZWFLEc
Longo_2_guns
Ruler of the Queen's Navy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I listen to good audio books on long car rides. Though sometimes I just do the poorly recorded free ones.

I found a free Sherlock Holmes one that was really well done, and each one was about an hour long. So that was pretty great.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Audiobooks are not for me, I think. If I know the person reading it, that's different -- I have listened to friends read books to me, and it's wonderful. I also read to them, although I feel that I'm not as good at it. Reading a book aloud for the first time is also interesting because of course you say things in completely the wrong way all the time.

I have listened to podcasts before (maybe only one or two), but regular live radio programs catch my attention more.
I sprinkle sand into the waters of night. The grains burn as they fall, reminding me of another in times long passed away. I watched him even then as he fell, his face undefeated, his eyes still proud.
WickedLiquid
In Limbo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine is a huge LOTR geek and had an audio book for The Children of Hurin narrated by Christopher Lee.

I gave it a listen and it was pretty cool... Or nerdy... Whatever.
UrbanMasque
Don't Feed Him

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to work on a factory floor and got through a few John Grisham books while I was working. If you've got a job where you can do it and be "somewhere else" mentally - audio books are awesome!

I never understood how people can read 350+ pages in a day and say they "enjoyed" the book, when the audio book read is like 25+ hours non-stop at a casual pace.

De-Ting wrote:
One-on-one brings out the true nazi in people.

WickedLiquid wrote:
Today I got a restraining order from John Stamos.
Bretimus_v2
The Japazillian Dynasty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I listen to the wheel of time series on audio. Michael Kramer is a decent voice actor that keeps you engaged.

Master_Craig
i liek to draw pictures

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always wanted to listen to educational/instructional kinda audio books while I do my morning walks... hoping for a sorta, "learn while I exercise" thing.

Maybe you could totally also check out my web comic "Reckless Abandon" - http://racomic.blogspot.com.au
Sightless

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UrbanMasque wrote:
I never understood how people can read 350+ pages in a day and say they "enjoyed" the book, when the audio book read is like 25+ hours non-stop at a casual pace.

What are you saying is weird about that? Is it that reading seems rushed?
I sprinkle sand into the waters of night. The grains burn as they fall, reminding me of another in times long passed away. I watched him even then as he fell, his face undefeated, his eyes still proud.
UrbanMasque
Don't Feed Him

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sightless wrote:
UrbanMasque wrote:

What are you saying is weird about that? Is it that reading seems rushed?

Totally rushed. Its like its a videogame speed run. You can't honestly take in all the content because you're glossing over minor details that the author took the time to write out in order to build a world for his work. Sorry, its more upsetting than it should be because I know people who brag about that kind of stuff (maybe just a bay area thing also). Read a passage and take some time to think about whats being said. Evil or Very Mad

De-Ting wrote:
One-on-one brings out the true nazi in people.

WickedLiquid wrote:
Today I got a restraining order from John Stamos.
Sightless

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hummm... I feel like you're underestimating how easily reading takes place in a lot of people's brains. I remember reading through 700-page Harry Potter books in a single day/night. I promise I didn't skip over everything, and I got very very upset when interrupted because I was so immersed. I also got very very upset because I was so immersed, and I felt so affected by certain events in the story.

Maybe you mean something more like speedreading, where people read 350+ pages in like an hour. Well, I mean "speedreading" in a casual way -- people who more or less do skim a thing and understand the words without making deeper associations, just to say they did it. I could see that with non-fiction works, but not sure it's really doable with fiction.

This reminds me of that thing... thingy... where your eyes don't have to make saccades, or other movement, because a particular focus allows you to continually read words that are flashed there. I could never in my life see that working for fiction, because of pacing.

Anyway, all that to say that I think the numbers you gave there are reasonable for reading, as I feel like I've done it without feeling rushed. Maybe excited, but also willingly gathering as much information as I possibly can from reading.
Master_Craig
i liek to draw pictures

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never really been into reading so I can't say much, but my oldest brother is quite similar, Sightless. He's very much into reading as you are and can often read big novels in a day or two. When interrupted, he would usually get quite annoyed, because he was just so into it.

Maybe you could totally also check out my web comic "Reckless Abandon" - http://racomic.blogspot.com.au
Bretimus_v2
The Japazillian Dynasty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My older brother was a speed reader. He would read in a day what took me a week. When we would read together he would usually slam a book in a night at the end of my week worth of reading and still have no less enjoyment or comprehension. He simply could absorb the text at a much quicker rate.

used44

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lotr might be a good choice for an audio book. Thanks all
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite book(and movie) has a audio book version. A Scanner Darkly.

Highly recommended.
WickedLiquid
In Limbo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it doesn't matter what I think, I kinda have to tip my hat to any entity that can bring so much integrity to evil.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> Misc All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: