More Reviews
REVIEWS Dark Souls II: Crown of the Sunk Review
I was confident in my Dark Souls abilities. Then From Software released new Dark Souls II DLC.

The Swapper Review
One of 2013's best indie games swaps its way to Sony platforms.
More Previews
PREVIEWS Pillars of Eternity Preview
For Obsidian's crowdfunded love letter to Infinity Engine games like Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate, I was impressed by its willingness to pull back the curtain and let me see the machinery behind it.
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES CounterSpy
Release date: 08/19/14

Tales of Xillia 2
Release date: 08/19/14

Plants Vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare
Release date: 08/19/14

Madden NFL 15
Release date: 08/26/14


LATEST FEATURES Interview: Forging the Rings of Power in Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
Tolkien fans may now either squeal with glee at getting to play interactive fanfiction... or condemn it to the watery grave of Numenor.

How Bioware Creates Romances
Bioware's games have romances where you might save the world, on the side of course.
MOST POPULAR FEATURES Picking Your Gender: 5 Industry Professionals Discuss Queer Identity in Gaming
Women from Naughty Dog, ArenaNet, Harmonix, and Gamespot unite to talk about what they want from games in terms of diversity.
 
Coming Soon

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP Kakulukia
Why Sunset Overdrive Can Go Suck A Lemon
By Kakulukia
Posted on 07/14/14
Yesterday, while cleaning up my media center, I found my copy of Ratchet & Clank: Into The Nexus, which I bought sometime before Christmas last year. I had been pretty excited about this game pre-release, what with it being the first "traditional", albeit shorter than usual,...

 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
CoD: Black Ops
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> General Gaming Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Longo_2_guns
Ruler of the Queen's Navy


Joined: 29 Jun 2003
Posts: 15744

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I_Hate_MGS wrote:
Longo_2_guns wrote:
Most people here aren't a part of the greater gaming community. Because most of the greater gaming community knows dick all about games.

Call of Duty games are really like Michael Bay movies, or that 2012 movie. They sell a shitload off of flash and hype, but really aren't that good.


Your personal opinions of the gaming community and your opinion of the game doesn't matter.

The fact that this is the most pre ordered game ever and could very likely set more sales records at launch shows the ridiculous number of people excited for this game. For there to be that many people excited yet so few here, is surprising.

However I suppose if we take into account how many posts are made here in any of the console sub categories we could see that gr just has a generally low enthusiasm for gaming as a whole....

And that's precisely why the analogy makes such perfect sense. Both 2012 and Transformers 2 set box office records. Would you call either of them good movies?

Sales do not equal quality. To even think such a thing is naive and quite dumb.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
I_Hate_MGS



Joined: 01 Oct 2001
Posts: 6557

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longo_2_guns wrote:
I_Hate_MGS wrote:
Longo_2_guns wrote:
Most people here aren't a part of the greater gaming community. Because most of the greater gaming community knows dick all about games.

Call of Duty games are really like Michael Bay movies, or that 2012 movie. They sell a shitload off of flash and hype, but really aren't that good.


Your personal opinions of the gaming community and your opinion of the game doesn't matter.

The fact that this is the most pre ordered game ever and could very likely set more sales records at launch shows the ridiculous number of people excited for this game. For there to be that many people excited yet so few here, is surprising.

However I suppose if we take into account how many posts are made here in any of the console sub categories we could see that gr just has a generally low enthusiasm for gaming as a whole....

And that's precisely why the analogy makes such perfect sense. Both 2012 and Transformers 2 set box office records. Would you call either of them good movies?

Sales do not equal quality. To even think such a thing is naive and quite dumb.


Reread my post. The quality of this unreleased game is not the issue.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MattAY
Posh B**tard


Joined: 02 Mar 2006
Posts: 12148

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modern Warfare has skyrocketed the sales for CoD (duh). but I am surprised to hear Black Ops is the most pre-ordered game ever. Since it's the other company that DIDN'T make MW. Unless there's something I dont know about, like...they've now joined forces or something.

Still I bet the fact that it comes out annually annoys some people. I know my buddy played MW2 online for 9 days or so, and when the new one will be released, he's going to have to get it! I feel that is a gigantic waste of time no? Are some of you like that?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Longo_2_guns
Ruler of the Queen's Navy


Joined: 29 Jun 2003
Posts: 15744

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it sort of is. Especially since a great deal of people have become disenchanted with Call of Duty after MW2, which was good at best, and aren't too excited about a game that, while it will be better by a small amount, really is still the same game that's been released three times already.

The average person buying it doesn't know quality from crap when it comes to games, so again quantity doesn't matter.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger
I_Hate_MGS



Joined: 01 Oct 2001
Posts: 6557

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longo_2_guns wrote:
Well, it sort of is. Especially since a great deal of people have become disenchanted with Call of Duty after MW2, which was good at best, and aren't too excited about a game that, while it will be better by a small amount, really is still the same game that's been released three times already.

The average person buying it doesn't know quality from crap when it comes to games, so again quantity doesn't matter.


Well you say a great deal of people became disenchanted, I don't doubt at all that that is true, but I think that is perhaps misleading seeing as mw2 was the previous record holder for pre orders. For the next in the series to surpass it makes it seem clear that mw2 is generally quite well thought of.

But let me refer back to my earlier posts and clarify. I'm not at all surprised that there are people not excited for the game, I'm not surprised that people think the game won't be anything great and I certainly don't expect people to be into it just because I think its worth being excited for. I am very aware that we all form our own opinions on games for our own reasons and throughout the years here I have had many unusual opinions on games (refer back to my screen name lol) so I'm used to people disagreeing. The only reason I am surprised that there is so little enthusiasm here is because such a large amount exists outside gr.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kijan
White Mage of the Modern Age


Joined: 30 Aug 2008
Posts: 1042

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I_Hate_MGS wrote:
Longo_2_guns wrote:
Well, it sort of is. Especially since a great deal of people have become disenchanted with Call of Duty after MW2, which was good at best, and aren't too excited about a game that, while it will be better by a small amount, really is still the same game that's been released three times already.

The average person buying it doesn't know quality from crap when it comes to games, so again quantity doesn't matter.


Well you say a great deal of people became disenchanted, I don't doubt at all that that is true, but I think that is perhaps misleading seeing as mw2 was the previous record holder for pre orders. For the next in the series to surpass it makes it seem clear that mw2 is generally quite well thought of.

But let me refer back to my earlier posts and clarify. I'm not at all surprised that there are people not excited for the game, I'm not surprised that people think the game won't be anything great and I certainly don't expect people to be into it just because I think its worth being excited for. I am very aware that we all form our own opinions on games for our own reasons and throughout the years here I have had many unusual opinions on games (refer back to my screen name lol) so I'm used to people disagreeing. The only reason I am surprised that there is so little enthusiasm here is because such a large amount exists outside gr.


We're special... because our mommies say so. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Diabolus



Joined: 02 Nov 2008
Posts: 736

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got tired of Call of Duty after CoD2. I'm pretty much just tired of war games in general. I prefer shooters like Singularity and Wolfenstein that have sci-fi elements.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Demosthenes



Joined: 04 Aug 2006
Posts: 111

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's be honest guys, if you want quality, real quality, minesweeper is your only viable option.
_________________
My hands were shaking, and my nervous system was in some kind of shock.

Then, silence got blown apart...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
used44



Joined: 08 Mar 2002
Posts: 20691

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The average COD fan doesn't know the difference between Infinity Ward and Treyarch. It may be the reason you or I are wary of Black Ops, but most of them are buying anything with "Call of Duty" in the title without giving a thought to who makes it, how quickly it was released, etc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kijan
White Mage of the Modern Age


Joined: 30 Aug 2008
Posts: 1042

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

used44 wrote:
The average COD fan doesn't know the difference between Infinity Ward and Treyarch. It may be the reason you or I are wary of Black Ops, but most of them are buying anything with "Call of Duty" in the title without giving a thought to who makes it, how quickly it was released, etc.


Probably... but after MW2 and WAW I've become a bit more cautious when it comes to COD games. Having a COD in the title doesn't mean guaranteed AAA games anymore, sadly. Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
Diabolus



Joined: 02 Nov 2008
Posts: 736

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kijan wrote:
used44 wrote:
The average COD fan doesn't know the difference between Infinity Ward and Treyarch. It may be the reason you or I are wary of Black Ops, but most of them are buying anything with "Call of Duty" in the title without giving a thought to who makes it, how quickly it was released, etc.


Probably... but after MW2 and WAW I've become a bit more cautious when it comes to COD games. Having a COD in the title doesn't mean guaranteed AAA games anymore, sadly. Sad


I became wary of them after Finest Hour on Xbox. That's when the whole flip flopping developers thing started.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Green_Lantern
Spacecataz


Joined: 06 Nov 2008
Posts: 5160

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

used44 wrote:
The average COD fan doesn't know the difference between Infinity Ward and Treyarch. It may be the reason you or I are wary of Black Ops, but most of them are buying anything with "Call of Duty" in the title without giving a thought to who makes it, how quickly it was released, etc.


Hey now...I for one found WAW to be a better game than MW1
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shaft



Joined: 23 Jul 2001
Posts: 8100

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive decided to go with this edition of the game
_________________
Bretimus_v2 wrote:
When it comes to winning, when it comes to unsportmanlike conduct, when it comes to douchery of a general sort, we have our winner.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
TheDiesel
Something Different


Joined: 04 May 2009
Posts: 789

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thanks to my friend allowing me to sell his Force Unleashed II, I got my pre-order in and will be picking it up tomorrow night.

w00t!
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stevedave



Joined: 21 Mar 2007
Posts: 64

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's already been out here in China since Friday. I played it a bit, plays just like MW2. (was fun killing Castro through, mwahaha!)
I was happy to see the Nazi Zombie rush is available from the get-go. Nothing has changed at all there, its basically just a new map. Nazi Zombies at the windows, fix em up, turn on the electricity, buy guns off the walls etc.
I was a little confused and disappointed to find the coop campaign was missing (I was playing at a friends obviously), but then I jumped online and found out some wildly exciting news, they replaced the coop campaign with splitscreen multiplayer! whoohoooo, this is the greatest thing to hit videogames since fatalities for some like me who only plays at my buddies place.
I am already thinking of starting a Shanghai based clan.... hmmmm... I'll call it [ZED] the zombie eradication directive Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
crazycracker22
The Chionophobic Cracker


Joined: 24 Jun 2007
Posts: 1514

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i herf they have zombiez.
_________________
Flaming_Tiki_God wrote:
Rekkie fell forward with a bullet in his brain.
And behind stood a grinning man by the name of CrazyCracker, smoking gun in hand and Rekkie’s splattered blood on his clothes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
used44



Joined: 08 Mar 2002
Posts: 20691

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green_Lantern wrote:
used44 wrote:
The average COD fan doesn't know the difference between Infinity Ward and Treyarch. It may be the reason you or I are wary of Black Ops, but most of them are buying anything with "Call of Duty" in the title without giving a thought to who makes it, how quickly it was released, etc.


Hey now...I for one found WAW to be a better game than MW1


Shut yo mouth
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
used44



Joined: 08 Mar 2002
Posts: 20691

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone actually going to (or already been to) a midnight release?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
keepithowitis



Joined: 30 Dec 2007
Posts: 3253

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not me, but i'm getting it tomorrow (for 360 as per your request)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MattAY
Posh B**tard


Joined: 02 Mar 2006
Posts: 12148

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sshh...if you listen carefully, you can hear the many girlfriends screaming at boyfriends for playing CoDBO for too long.............aaaaaahhhh (sensual release)...
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> General Gaming Topics All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum