More Reviews
REVIEWS Hatoful Boyfriend Review
Before this review, there seemed to be an absence of a certain ornithological piece; a headline regarding mass awareness of a certain avian variety...

Murasaki Baby Review
When a little girl with an upside-down face finds a balloon, you better protect it from monsters!
More Previews
PREVIEWS Halo: The Master Chief Collectio Preview
Microsoft and 343 Industries want to bring the entire Halo saga to Xbox One and this collection does exactly that with new graphics for Halo 2.
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES Persona 4 Arena Ultimax
Release date: 09/30/14

Alien: Isolation
Release date: 10/07/14

Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
Release date: 10/14/14

The Evil Within
Release date: 10/14/14

LATEST FEATURES Assassin's Creed Unity Interview: Ubisoft Talks Multplayer, Next-Gen Development, More
Ubisoft's first "truly" next-gen entry in the Assassin's Creed franchise takes the fight to France. Here's what you can expect.

PlayStation Download September 2014 - Updating Each Week
Sony's platforms always get plenty of new digital software and we'll bring you the list each week with the rest.
MOST POPULAR FEATURES The Updating List of PAX Indies
We're heading to PAX Prime! Are you looking to check out a few unique indie games while you're there? UPDATED: Dragon Fin Soup, Dungeon of the Endless,

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP shandog137
A Letter to the Big “N"
By shandog137
Posted on 09/12/14
I have and will continue to have a place in my heart for Nintendo. In fact, my first console was a Super Nintendo. The video game market has changed drastically since the early '90s and it seems like what once was platinum is more so along the lines of silver now. Nintendo has always been...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
YLOD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ananymous

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: YLOD Reply with quote

So my PS3 finally died after 6 years of faithful service. Was playing Dark Souls when it shut off and did all the check tests today to find it yellow lighting and unable to even start in safe mode. A sad, sad day.

R.I.P. Fat 80GB PS3.

Guess I'll have to round up some cash and pick up a new slim if I can't fix this one.
NickKmet
I Eat Granola Bars

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: YLOD Reply with quote

Ananymous wrote:
So my PS3 finally died after 6 years of faithful service. Was playing Dark Souls when it shut off and did all the check tests today to find it yellow lighting and unable to even start in safe mode. A sad, sad day.

R.I.P. Fat 80GB PS3.

Guess I'll have to round up some cash and pick up a new slim if I can't fix this one.

My house's 360 has recently been unable to read any discs, except for, oddly enough, Oblivion. It's pretty much worthless, so I feel your pain. Of course, none of us can afford to replace it.
daylight savings time was introduced under a democratic congress. pretty clear that this is part of the liberal global warming farce, if we are extending daylight hours, of course temperatures will rise, THERES MORE DAYLIGHT!
De-Ting
Formerly Known as Prince

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pro at fixing them now, but only if there's no serious internal damage...like the 3 attempted replacements I bought on ebay...*explodes with rage deep inside*

I really hope you can fix it. It's not that hard. If it's an old 80GB with all the bells and whistles, at least attempting to fix it is definitely worth it.

o--(^-^)--o
Ananymous

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda wanna crack it open but I don't want to totally wreck it and be unable to sell it for parts or something later on. I've read what several of the issues could be, either fan dying, cpu/gpu meltdown issues, or bdray dying.

When I switch it on it shuts off almost immediately after and does the green, yellow, green, red and then stays with the red light blinking. It just randomly died yesterday night in the middle of me playing Dark Souls, checked it and it didn't feel hot but I still unplugged it and let it cool down and tried again to the same thing.

Sucks, might have to look into possibly seeing what the problem could be.
De-Ting
Formerly Known as Prince

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it beep thrice? Sounds like classic YLoD. The solution? Reflowing the solder...WITH MORE HEAT!!!

Seriously, you won't break anything of value if you open it up. The worst thing you might do is bust off the ribbon clip on the motherboard for the blu-ray drive, but you know, your motherboard is already inoperable, so nobody's gonna be interested in that if you sell it for parts.

Google Gilsky YLoD guide if you grow the cajones to fix it.

o--(^-^)--o
Bretimus_v2
The Japazillian Dynasty

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting to fear this will happen soon to mine. It's starting to freeze and artifact a ton. I wouldn't even know where to start with repairs though.

Ting, you interested?

De-Ting
Formerly Known as Prince

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only if it finally gives out would it be worth sending it to me. PS3s is gonna freeze, and that's the way it is.

o--(^-^)--o
Ananymous

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine actually didn't have freezing problems at all, it just nuked itself, guess it couldn't handle Friday the 13th...

Prolly gonna crack it open and see what is it's malfunction and if I should either spend the time and money to fix it or just get a new slim and be done with it.
Bretimus_v2
The Japazillian Dynasty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've dealt with PSFreeze in the past. But mine is having GPU overheat causing artifacting, and it will usually freeze within 20 - 60 minutes of start up.

So here's a question: if I open it up and reapply thermal paste and reflow it, does that mean Sony won't parts swap it again?

I just want to save it for it's backwards compatability. If all goes well, I'm getting a PS3 Slim in a bit here.

De-Ting
Formerly Known as Prince

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parts swap? Probably not, but fixing it yourself is a lot faster and cheaper if they've been charging you for that.

You just need:
Screwdrivers
A flat surface
Alcohol
Cotton pads or thick paper towels
A heat gun
A level
Thermal compound

And maybe a vacuum or canned air.

o--(^-^)--o
Bretimus_v2
The Japazillian Dynasty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, I have little interest in learning, I've watched vids and...sigh...I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

TheJx4

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My slim has been freezing since the day I received it. Christmas 2010. Brand new.

So, here's to hoping Ting is a master at fixing Slims as well. *toast*
De-Ting
Formerly Known as Prince

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen the inside of a slim, but fixing it should be essentially the same. *clink*

o--(^-^)--o
Longo_2_guns
Ruler of the Queen's Navy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been lucky, I suppose. My PS3 has survived 5 years and hundreds of miles of travel without so much as a momentary slowdown.

Though now that I've said that, it's going to crash and burn tonight. I just know it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my 80GB YLOD'd when I was playing Demon's Souls. I ended up replacing with a slim which is much quieter, so I can't complain.

P.S. The original PS3s were gorgeous...
Ananymous

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 80GB had battle scars but it was still dead sexy...

Seems to be totally dead which is a bad situation for me as I will have to go out and pick up a new slim but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

I guess Dark Souls was just too hardcore.
Bretimus_v2
The Japazillian Dynasty

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually just bought a Slim this week. Target has a 160 GB and a separately packaged controller bundle for $249. I returned the controller at Walmart and essentially got a slim for $195.

Wow, it's been a long time since I could run Castlevania without artifacting.

WickedLiquid
In Limbo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last generation I heard about PS2's dying and mine still works today.

I would REALLY hate it if my PS3 died though since I have around 15 downloaded games on the HDD.
De-Ting
Formerly Known as Prince

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WickedLiquid wrote:
I would REALLY hate it if my PS3 died though since I have around 15 downloaded games on the HDD.
Forget the stuff you can just download again. What you really have to worry about is losing your copy-protected game saves and PSone/2 virtual memory cards.

o--(^-^)--o
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> Sony All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: