More Reviews
REVIEWS CounterSpy Review
Your operative is tasked with infiltrating both sides of nuclear war. Can CounterSpy finish the mission in time for your PSN credit?

Akiba's Trip Review
Here's a game where you must trip vampires of their clothes. Oh goodness...
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES Tales of Xillia 2
Release date: Out Now

Plants Vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare
Release date: Out Now

Madden NFL 15
Release date: 08/26/14

Destiny
Release date: 09/09/14

LATEST FEATURES The Updating List of PAX Indies
We're heading to PAX Prime! Are you looking to check out a few unique indie games while you're there? UPDATED: This War of Mine, Gigantic

The Best Upcoming Racing Games of 2014
You've probably only heard of Sony's exclusive Driveclub and Microsoft's exclusive Forza Horizon 2, but don't forget about a few others.

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP KevinS
RIP Robin Williams (1951-2014)
By KevinS
Posted on 08/14/14
Robin Williams (1951-2014) Robin Williams was an absolutely exceptional comedian, talented actor, and holder of a special place in video game history: He was the first really famous gamer I know of. I’m sure there were others, but they kept a comparatively low profile, unlike one...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
A Budget Game Review Every Week, By FBF.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silios
Risible Foofaraw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: A Budget Game Review Every Week, By FBF. Reply with quote

Here's the skinny, each week I'll go to my local Gamestop and buy a game under twenty dollars, I'll then write a lengthy review about the game, followed by a summary of rather you should skip it or buy it. I don't read video game reviews despite being on this site, I try to stay away from what people say, so I can form my own opinion on the game. Keep in mind these are my opinions, if I say something bad about a game you like, don't get butt hurt over it, it's just my opinion.

Today's review is a special one, it's cheap as hell and old school PC gamers are going to love it.

[img]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

So what's so special about Dark Messiah? First it's only 3.49, it's the cheapest disc game you're going to find for the 360 at Gamestop. An added bonus is the game is actually good.

So what makes it good? It's a throw back to the old Ultima Underworld games, in the sense that you pick a class and go through a linear designed level that offers multiple path finding option, but you still reach an end goal. This is at it's heart still an FPS with swords and magic, this is nothing like Oblivion and you need to get that out of your head right now.

Why you ask FBF? Because Oblivion is a grandscale game, it's open ended and free roaming, but it's very flawed. At the same time, who says a game like this has to open ended to be enjoyed? People enjoy the Gears of War and CoD franchises, and they share a lot in common with Dark Messiah.

I think that should be my point here, I spent roughly four dollars, and had an experience that I found more enjoyable than two other Triple A titles. That says a lot, and it wasn't the price, had I spent full price on this game I would of enjoyed it just the same. It has an interesting story for an action game, RPG elements, and does almost every thing right.

Okay, the graphics are dated, but it makes up for it in the AI department. Compared to Oblivion, the AI is leagues better. Stealth actually feels "right", and combat feels polished. In fact I go so far to say that everything in this game is polished with the exception of the graphics.

SHOULD YOU BUY IT?

Absolutely, it's around four dollars and it's a good game. If you don't like it, you've only lost out on the money you'd spend at a fast food joint.

EDIT: Sorry about the fuzzy image, camera is shot. Next week will be using stock images.
danielrbischoff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow this is an awesome idea. I'll probably pick up this game now based purely on your suggestion. Where do I thank you for this post or... can I just +1 times infinity?
used44

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a really great idea. Front page status.

I've always had a curiosity with this game. I'm going to add it to my Goozex queue right now.
JunkyArd

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought this game for the PC as soon as it came out. I always loved the Might and Magic Series and this game was actually a lot of fun. I feel bad for all of you who didn't get to play it in its prime. lol.
MattAY
Posh B**tard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. Nice to see a vet contribute to the GR society - and a good idea at that. I await your next review!
Risible Foofaraw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how fast this board moves, but it would be nice to get this topic sticky'd. But that's up to you guys. If it gets sticky'd I'll try to get my next review done sooner. I actually got a couple of games and one of them I've been playing nonstop today. It's the successor of a classic FPS, but I don't want to spoil the review.

I'd like to do a review a day, but it would be too costly and really wouldn't give me enough time to evaluate the game fully. That being said, I can promise my next review to be at the latest this coming Monday, at the earliest some late Friday.

Glad you guys are enjoying this, I'll be sure to keep this up to date.
danielrbischoff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FBF I'll put your quick budget reviews on the front page every week but I can only do one a week. Also stickied. Do you mind if it's moved to General?
StickyGreenGamer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, someone has been reading my mind. I do a lot of "value" shopping at GameStop, and I've always thought something like this is a great idea. Most reviews are done when a game is brand new, and as time passes things change. What was a solid feature that impressed people a few years earlier might no have the same impact it once did. And having a source to turn to like this is invaluable.

Keep up the work, and if you need some help feel free to shoot me a PM. Would be glad to assist. Since you read my mind and stole my idea Very Happy
danielrbischoff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.gamerevolution.com/manifesto/budget-game-review-of-the-week-dark-messiah-of-might-and-magic-elements-8673
cyberjim2000
Forum Bum

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Messiah is a fun game but I never get to finish it because I was too busy kicking NPCs out of windows or off cliffs. Any game that's a primarily a melee game should have a kick button.

I've never played Elements. I heard it's a bit inferior to the original but with it only costing you 4 dollars you can't go wrong with it, I suppose.

Last edited by cyberjim2000 on Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Silios
Risible Foofaraw

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

danielrbischoff wrote:
http://www.gamerevolution.com/manifesto/budget-game-review-of-the-week-dark-messiah-of-might-and-magic-elements-8673

Thanks! No way I could persuade the guys up top for a part time job from this humble forum poster? Very Happy

Hell I'd work for games.
Longo_2_guns
Ruler of the Queen's Navy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I love this idea. I was considering doing something along these lines with underrated or unknown games, or as I put it "Great Shit You Haven’t Played (and Why You Should)"

I wrote out a Nier review like three months ago, but then went "Man, now I want to play this some more." And then I did and never finished the review.

...Maybe I'll finish that up now. Honestly, I would love it if everyone sort of did something like this. Everyone who can write anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silios wrote:
Thanks! No way I could persuade the guys up top for a part time job from this humble forum poster? Very Happy

Hell I'd work for games.

If you or any community member keeps up a weekly/bi-weekly column like this I would do what I could to get you guys some cash or swag or what have you. But again, we'd need it on a very regular basis. For now I'll put stuff like this in the content stream. Eventually we'll have the Vox Pop stream that'll make it even easier.
used44

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Longo_2_guns wrote:
...Maybe I'll finish that up now. Honestly, I would love it if everyone sort of did something like this. Everyone who can write anyway.

Agreed. It's awesome that Daniel is including us in the content stream. Kinda like Destructoid's C-Blogs, but better.
TheJx4

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a guy on Kotaku who buys an XBLIG game EVERYDAY and reviews them, I don't think he's ever been featured.

Kudos to you guys.
danielrbischoff

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Kobun. I have him on my Live friends list. Very nice guy.
tinymhg

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see you have a red Game Boy Advance SP, a Zippo, a pretty lame camera, and what looks like a two pack a day habit. I like the idea of the bargain bin games sometimes you find gold other times you find…
Silios
Risible Foofaraw

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, sorry I didn't get back to you Daniel, it's fine if this topic is moved to general. Though I'm starting out with 360 games first. I'm going to be moving this to every Monday from now on.

I've got a good list of games coming up next, and most of them are 2.99.
daverabbit

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great topic. Can't wait to read more of these and pick up some of the games.
Silios
Risible Foofaraw

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short review right now, promise big one is coming this Monday.

Today's Review: Project Gotham Racing 4 - Price 3.99

My experience with racing games is a love hate relationship. I loved Mario Kart on the SNES, but hated any game that tried to be realistic in it's driving. Which is odd, because I'm actually a very good driver. No really, in the last ten years I've been a motorist I've never had a single ticket or accident.

So I had to think long and hard what this fundamental hatred to realism was, and it came to me. Motion. When you speed down the highway you can feel the vibration, the motion, and pull off G's when you make a sharp turn. It's an experience that gets your heart pumping, something that lacks in all realistic racing games.

You take away the adrenaline, realistic racing is just monotonous.

GAMEPLAY -

Okay, with that said, I have to give PGR credit. It does try to be arcade like. Be prepared to try to be as flashy as possible to rack up Kudos (the games currency).

Cars do tend to feel different from each other, and the addition of motorcycles was nice. But I can't help thinking I would rather be playing another game instead, something with free roaming, damage to vehicles, carjacking's. Just can't put my finger on it.

There's a character editor, but it's very limited to male or female, and color suit you wear. I did however, was successful in recreating the Stig, so bonus points from me for that one.

There's different modes you can try out, but they're pretty much all the same. "Make it in first place" or "Earn as much Kudos as possible".

This isn't a bad game, it's just not my cup of tea. But with that said it's trying to juggle two niches at once. I feel like the game really wants to be taken serious as a racer, but then adds a points system for being stylish. There's not enough cars for it be on the level of Gran Tourismo, but at the same time there's more than enough for most racing games.

SOUND -

I actually really like the soundtrack. The engines sound visceral, and going through a tunnel flat out, actually recreates that sound perfect.

GRAPHICS -

It's not on the high end level, but they are nice. I didn't expect photo realism, but it was never an issue that I actually felt the need to complain about them.

SHOULD YOU BUY IT?

Well that depends. If you like games like Gran Tourismo, then you should like this. It's little bit more streamlined and less intense. If you like this sort of stuff, it's worth checking out since it's so cheap, but you could get something better for a little more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> Microsoft All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: