More Reviews
REVIEWS Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Review
Does Beyond Earth lead humanity to a better world or into a nest of aliens?

Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus Review
I had no idea there was that much silicon in Japan. But it only makes the balance that much more impressive, doesn't it?
More Previews
PREVIEWS Super Smash Bros. (Wii U) Preview
Anyone brawling at home will find plenty to love in the latest console version of Nintendo’s franchise, though amiibo figures lend a layer of ownership not seen before.
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
Release date: 11/04/14

Assassin's Creed Rogue
Release date: 11/11/14

Far Cry 4
Release date: 11/18/14

Dragon Age: Inquisition
Release date: 11/18/14

LATEST FEATURES Xbox Downloads October 2014 - Updating Each Week
Microsoft's Xbox One console continues an Xbox Live revolution started over a decade ago. Here's hoping Summer of Arcade makes it to the platform next year.

PlayStation Download October 2014 - Updating Each Week
Sony's PSN platform had new games each week along with free offerings for PlayStation Plus subscribers. Take a look at the weekly additions for October.

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP oblivion437
I Don't Want to, but I Have To...
By oblivion437
Posted on 10/20/14
Well, Gamergate has spilled over into the mainstream media and the coverage appears to be nearly uniformly dreadful. Take " What is Gamergate, and What Does It Say About Gender In Video Games? " by David Konnow as an example.  It appears that the writer has done little to no...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
SWTOR F2P

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guernica

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: SWTOR F2P Reply with quote

So SWTOR is F2P as of today. It kinda has gone over under the radar. Anyone planning on playing again?
C_nate

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't played in close to 2 months but I kept my account open to check out what goodies I would get for being such a loyal customer.

1750 cartel coins. That is it. For being subscribed to the game since last December. What I got if you were counting the 500 coins a month that subscribers get comes out to 3 1/2 months worth of coins.

A lot of the items in the store are pretty pricey. To put in perspective, a set of cosmetic gear cost 1200 coins. A new shiny crystal for you lightsaber is 900. And these things are for a single character. Someone with 8 level 50's like me? Ha.

They also did the scumbag move and current hot ticket item seller in all F2P MMO's of adding gambling boxes in the form of Black Market and Cartel packs.

The packs contain various things like exp boosts, crafting materials, but the real draw of them is for the possibility of rare items and gear. Like all MMO gambling boxes, it is like playing the lotto except even when you win, you still lose. So of course the first thing I did when I logged in was spend all my cartel coins on 3 Cartel packs and 3 Black Market packs to get a bunch of worthless junk, a vanity pet, and a new speeder that is just a reskinned model of a current common speeder.

I also started the quest chain for the new HK-51 companion. Don't even bother trying to do it if you have no level 50 characters. You will need at least 1 Imperial and 1 Republic character to complete it as well and 125k credits and the ability (and gear) to finish hardmode maelstorm prison.

It is actually a decent quest chain for level 50's as it gives them something else to do and from what I've done so far they did a good job of putting it together and it is a fairly entertaining quest chain with full voice work and all (something that was lacking in their last world event.)

In any case, unlike a F2P game like lotro that lets you earn currency to use in their store by playing their game like a poor Chinese gold farmer being forced to play at gun point, swtor does not have a way to earn cartel coins in the game. So if you are thinking about checking out the f2p version of the game, expect to have a very limited experience unless you are willing to shell out a bunch of cash to unlock everything.
Longo_2_guns
Ruler of the Queen's Navy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering how limited they have the F2P version right now, I'll wait a few more months until they're so desperate that they give most everything for free.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I got shit from my coins too. I spent it all on cartel packs which are the shitty gambling packs you talked about. I got 2 speeders a couple pets and an extra rare armor piece which just makes you look like you have nothing on even though you do.

I think they could have done an amazing job making it f2p but they f'd it up by making it so entirely limited. It would have been amazing if the main game was f2p and then you just paid for the end game features you wanted. Instead you are limited on the most basic things. Like how many hotbars you can have? WTH is that? That's a basic feature that you need to play. It's not really optional to just not have enough spaces to put all your skills on.
drathbone

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Optional hotbar? They actually monetized the UI? That screams desperation to me. I don't foresee that lasting very long.

I'll hot into it and play a couple toons through the stories and drop it after that. Just waiting for KOTOR 3
LinksOcarina
The Anti-Fanboy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eh, I am ignoring it all together so far. Later on I shall see how it plays. I honestly looked over the shop and saw little I would want to buy with my cartel coins anyway. Maybe later over time I might see something I want, but thus far its just not worth it at this time.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drathbone wrote:
Optional hotbar? They actually monetized the UI? That screams desperation to me. I don't foresee that lasting very long.

I'll hot into it and play a couple toons through the stories and drop it after that. Just waiting for KOTOR 3

That isn't even the only part of the UI they are charging free players for. They actually want f2p players to pay for the option to toggle their head gear on and off.

I'm usually not very sympathetic to f2p players but some of the things swtor is trying to charge them for is the silliest shit I've ever seen in a f2p game. It is the most restrictive model I've seen yet.

And as I've feared, people with way more money than sense have swarmed to the gambling packs like hopeless insects to the bug zapper. There are already several posts on the forums about people describing how many points they bought and what they got out of their packs.

One guy bought 25,000 cartel coins and spent them all on black market packs because he wanted the floating throne speeder and did not get it. I just can't wrap my mind around it and understand these people. It leaves me dumbfounded.

EA should just sell these things in the store for a set price rather than exploiting peoples OCD or whatever the hell else compels them to drop $100 in a few moments just for a chance at an item they want. Lotro sold horses for $20 a pop that were not even account wide and a bunch of people still bought them. Making people go fishing with their money to get stuff is just wrong on multiple levels.

But it always comes back to the greed factor. Why sell a guy a floating throne speeder for $20 when he'll spend $100 opening boxes just for the 1% chance it will actually be in there?

The sad thing is though that there really isn't much else even worth getting in their store at this point. The cosmetic gear for example is pure laziness. Just a bunch of reskinned common model items and the only selling point about them is that you can have a heavy armor look on a light armor wearer or an Imperial style armor on a Republic character. That totally makes it worth $12 a set... Rolling Eyes

I'm subbed through Nov but at this rate Dec isn't looking so good.
cyberjim2000
Forum Bum

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking through the feature page, one item caught my eye is the "item equipping" which said you're not allowed to equip purple or greater items unless you pay for an unlocker... geez, that's gonna put a damper on your end-game progress a bit don't you think? Atleast, it's not as bad as Vanguard which limits you to items level 24 or less.
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rarely play free to plays unless you can literally earn everything and access everything in the game through work in the game itself. Technically GuildWars 2 is buy to play but I like the model they use. Tribes Ascend is another one I can think of.

Hearing how restrictive SWTOR f2p is makes me sad. I just hate feeling like a free to play is trying to milk more money out of you than a traditional game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> PC All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: