More Reviews
REVIEWS The Evil Within Review
Developer Shinji Mikami wishes for the survival-horror genre. Does The Evil Within make a case?

Defense Grid 2 Review
Hidden Path Entertainment offer up this sequel to one of the originators of tower defense gaming, with tons of modes for alien-blasting aficionados.
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES Disney Fantasia: Music Evolved
Release date: 10/21/14

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
Release date: 11/04/14

Far Cry 4
Release date: 11/18/14

Dragon Age: Inquisition
Release date: 11/18/14

LATEST FEATURES 7 Problems With Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX [Hands-on Preview]
For the last time, Aqua, NO I will not go out with you! (Yes, yes I will, actually.)

Xbox Downloads October 2014 - Updating Each Week
Microsoft's Xbox One console continues an Xbox Live revolution started over a decade ago. Here's hoping Summer of Arcade makes it to the platform next year.

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP Bras
On small farewells
By Bras
Posted on 10/14/14
Hello people I know and people I do not know, people with whom I have interacted at some point and people who happen to be here for a random reason involving boredom.  I have gathered you here so I can say one thing to your face before (some of…? Anyone hopefully?) you figure it...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Are you glad you grew up in the gaming era you did?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> Classic Gaming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MattAY
Posh B**tard

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject: Are you glad you grew up in the gaming era you did? Reply with quote

It's a question I wonder myself every now and again.

I grew up with the likes of SNES ie. Mario with Sonic on the side, going onto Crash Bandicoots, Worms, a bit of Goldeneye and Mario Kart. Final Fantasies, MGS following them. I'm very happy I grew up with gaming gems like those. Dont see many of these around anymore.

Nowadays if I was 10 moving onto 27, I'd be playing absolutely nothing but CoD and Minecraft I'm sure. Not as iconic in my opinion. Do you wish you grew up in the time now? More games to choose from, but perhaps fewer gaming greats and more average games? Do you think if you were a kid growing up now, you'd wish you were born earlier growing up with the games I did?

I essentially grew up through the "gaming evolution" cycle. Games starting off in 16-bit to where we are now is basically my childhood! I dont think that much of a drastic change will occur in the gaming world again.
Freedom Runner

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me and my friend circle seemed to hang behind a few console generations and played snes games way into the ps2 era.

Nintendo still seems to deliver the most diverse selection of games and mascots to choose from. Virtual console is also bringing the old games to the new audiences.
Formerly Known as Prince

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes wish I was around while video games were taking their first big steps into pop culture. The first games I remember playing were from that time, but I never got to experience things like the Amiga or MSDOS, and by the time I started going to arcades, there was so much garbage out there that I never got to play most of the classics.

And of course, I was just a few years and dollars short of being able to experience the Humongous Junior Sports Network. I always imagined it would have been awesome to play Backyard Sports online and kick the trash out of other kids. *Sigh*

o--(^-^)--o
StudioTan

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to think that if I was 10 now, all the jargon and trash talk in the COD community would have led me to pursue mostly single player titles. I hated bullies as a kid and I find them even more repulsive now. The Souls game's difficulty would have definitely repelled me at that age. I had a lot more patience for story telling games as a young person so I may have been a bigger fan of the Metal Gear series.

I wonder more if I would have as much fun playing older titles if I did not grow up with them. Would I be able to get used to different control schemes for every other game, inverted Y axis on most 3rd person games, old mapped buttons like fire/action on X,SQUARE instead of R1.... Most games today have similar control schemes, or are at least customizable. As a 10 year old who would be only familiar with modern games, I wonder if I would develop a taste for the older titles, or if I would quickly become frustrated and jump to something else.
samsmith614

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loved SNES. And then Game Cube. Anyone that hasn't had the experience of playing Mario Cart on Game Cube hasn't lived.
WickedLiquid
In Limbo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering how I grew up with Nintendo and PlayStation I'm very happy with the games I grew up with.

We were the first to be introduced to survival horror with Resident Evil and Silent Hill. We were the first to see video games that felt like awesome movies like Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy VII. We grew up with A Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time; two Zelda games that have been hailed as the best of all time. We were there with Mario in Super Mario Bros 3 and grew up with games as they matured and grew up with us.

We were old enough to beat up hookers in San Andreas and young enough to kick shell in Turtles in Time. We are the gaming generation!!!!!!

Master_Craig
i liek to draw pictures

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two brothers and I grew up with old school video games. We got a Nintendo Entertainment System as a joint Christmas present when I was five, with Super Mario Bros. as well as Duckhunt and the original Nintendo Zapper gun (which we still have).

I have vague memories of playing an Atari when I was younger than five and we do have old Atari gear lying around the place.

We were very much Nintendo boys. We had Gameboys, a Super Nintendo, a Gameboy colour, a Nintendo 64, a Gameboy Advance and a Game Cube. All of this was shared between us and were usually joint presents to us all. We had a PC too with games like Duke Nukem 3D, Diablo, Starcraft, Fallout etc. We loved our games.

We eventually got our first "other" game console when I was sixteen, my brother got a PS2 for his birthday. Since then we've mostly been Nintendo, Sony and PC gamers. The Game Cube is still my favourite console yet.

I'm glad to have grown up with games since the beginning, or almost the beginning. We've played some of the most iconic games and we've played so many games that kids and teenagers of today don't even know, or they think they know but they don't.

My girlfriend's little brother has Pokemon: Red version emulated on his iPhone, he says to me, "Craig look what I got, the ORIGINAL Pokemon! Have you played this? No one I know has played it. This is the ORIGINAL."

Here I am thinking "Man, I've got the original legit cartridge at home." but instead, "That's pretty cool man."

I feel really grateful that I got to grow up with games from the beginning. I've seen the technology change from creepy looking 8-bit Mario to insane high definition, super detailed 3D graphics that contain a ridiculous amount of pixels, polygons etc. I'm also super grateful that my parents were nice enough to actually buy my brothers and I games on occasions like birthdays/Christmas.

Kids of today are missing out.

Maybe you could totally also check out my web comic "Reckless Abandon" - http://racomic.blogspot.com.au
gamerevolution00

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I wish i was born when the virtual games becomes reality. Like Sword art online , log horizon and etc. LOL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> Classic Gaming All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: