More Reviews
REVIEWS The Last of Us Remastered Review
Sony and Naughty Dog have revisited the PlayStation 3 opus to bring an enhanced vision of the game to PlayStation 4, but should you return to Joel and Ellie’s story so soon?

God of War Collection (Vita) Review
God of War brings its PS2 heritage to Vita, and the results are more than a bit baffling.
More Previews
PREVIEWS UemeU Preview
Giving the power to the players to build the games they want to play, UemeU opens up the sandbox to a larger degree than previous games, with intuitive tools, cooperative building, and very few restrictions.
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES CounterSpy
Release date: 08/19/14

Tales of Xillia 2
Release date: 08/19/14

Plants Vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare
Release date: 08/19/14

MotoGP 14
Release date: 09/01/14


LATEST FEATURES Buy, Try, or Die: August 2014 Release List
Sacred 3, Disgaea 4, inFamous: First Light, Madden NFL 15—what will you Buy, what will you Try, and what needs to Die?

The Best Cosplay of Comic-Con 2014
Comic-Con is the premier convention for cosplayers, and we've got more than a hundred shots this year. Which are your favorites?
MOST POPULAR FEATURES Picking Your Gender: 5 Industry Professionals Discuss Queer Identity in Gaming
Women from Naughty Dog, ArenaNet, Harmonix, and Gamespot unite to talk about what they want from games in terms of diversity.
 
Coming Soon

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP oneshotstop
Call of Duty will never be the same
By oneshotstop
Posted on 07/28/14
       We've all been there. Everyone remembers that mission. You and your partner are climbing up the mountains in the snow, striving to pull some slick clandestine operation about getting some intel on a bad guy, or something similar (because let's face...

 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Are graphics comparisons even relevant anymore?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> PC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
madster111
The Original Pie Lover


Joined: 04 Jun 2006
Posts: 6265

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My nights and DOF effects for comparison.
Note that i have my brightness turned down a bit so it appears darker in the actual game.








Really wish my internet wasn't so crap and i could actually finish the 2K texture download. Haven't been able to find a torrent file with them in it and every time my internet drops for 30 seconds it decides to stop the download there, because 50mb in that 1gb rar file is fine.
_________________
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abWqy3DOnuA

BarackObama,Putin,DavidCameron,XiJinpingAndseveralothers wrote:
Song of the year, every year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?


Joined: 12 Feb 2012
Posts: 2018

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can appreciate the textures and better lighting but for the most part I really hate depth of field in games. I usually turn it off.

Metro 2033 had a crazy terrible depth of field mixed with motion blur at max settings.
_________________
“Yeah but when does EA come in when your trying for auto erotic asphyxiation and decide that you are really trying to commit suicide? Then they force you to do what they want.”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wes



Joined: 01 Nov 2005
Posts: 2713

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PC gamers: The fanboys of 2012


I mean hey I know you guys are passionate about this and if that's your thing then go for it. But not everyone is going to waste time improving the look of a game when you can just play it and enjoy it as it is. It's not like the original version is in Standard Definition or anything, right?

Now I can understand people buying HD remakes of older games because of the generation gap in graphics where everything was SD back then. People want the game to fit their TV instead of that old boxscreen look (which ironically was called Full screen).

So yeah, mod an older game that's standard def into HD and then I'll be impressed.
_________________
Life is not a predetermined path but a branch of many choices that make us who we are.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Green_Lantern
Spacecataz


Joined: 06 Nov 2008
Posts: 5177

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes wrote:
So yeah, mod an older game that's standard def into HD and then I'll be impressed.



Black Mesa...Morrowind Overhaul


It's been done plenty of times, if the game supports it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cyberjim2000
Forum Bum


Joined: 28 Feb 2010
Posts: 1785

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skywind:

http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/modders-revamp-the-world-of-morrowind-with-skyrim-engine-others-transform-guild-wars-2-into-a-shooter-15145
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Wes



Joined: 01 Nov 2005
Posts: 2713

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressive. Now all I need is for someone to mod FF10 so I don't have to buy the HD remake. Confused
_________________
Life is not a predetermined path but a branch of many choices that make us who we are.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ivory_Soul



Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 82

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madster111 wrote:
Green_Lantern wrote:
Too bad texture packs don't make Skyrim a better game...

Disagree.

Better graphics increases realism which increases immersion.
Using shader mods is the difference between sneaking at night and going 'damn' when somebody suddenly rounds the corner and 'ARGHHH' when you look slightly to your right and notice some legs.

Also, Ivory? I-S? ...Ivory.
How big is your skyrim install with your mods? Because without the 2K textures mine's coming in at just under 7.5gb, with a 1.4gb texture folder.


19GB. I have a TON of mods in NMM. I have been modding since the game was released, so over the year its been out I have just been adding mod after mod. Surprisingly the game is still stable with rare crashes, and the load time when I start the game is only a few seconds longer than vanilla install.

I also had to do a lot of .ini tweaks because Skyrim's engine is so poorly programmed. I was getting like 15 FPS outdoors, but after I read a tweak guide that cuts out a lot of just bloat settings I went up to 40 FPS outside and 70FPS indoors. Even people with 6970s were getting this issue.

Wes wrote:
PC gamers: The fanboys of 2012


I mean hey I know you guys are passionate about this and if that's your thing then go for it. But not everyone is going to waste time improving the look of a game when you can just play it and enjoy it as it is. It's not like the original version is in Standard Definition or anything, right?

Now I can understand people buying HD remakes of older games because of the generation gap in graphics where everything was SD back then. People want the game to fit their TV instead of that old boxscreen look (which ironically was called Full screen).

So yeah, mod an older game that's standard def into HD and then I'll be impressed.


Modding isn't for everyone. Most PC gamers mod because you just get curious and learn to appreciate it. I thought modding was a waste of time after a while until I bought Half-Life 2 7 years ago and realized how much potential there were in the mods. Once you get a gaming PC and start seeing screenshots of mods you will say, "I want to do that!"


Last edited by Ivory_Soul on Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:24 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?


Joined: 12 Feb 2012
Posts: 2018

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember in mass effect 2 they released 4k texture mods. It took 5 minutes for the game to start up off my ssd but characters like grunt got a nice upgrade you can really tell it in his skin. Garrus and his shot up armor also make a nice fidelity jump.
_________________
“Yeah but when does EA come in when your trying for auto erotic asphyxiation and decide that you are really trying to commit suicide? Then they force you to do what they want.”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
LinksOcarina
The Anti-Fanboy


Joined: 08 Nov 2005
Posts: 11527

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why are we using Skyrim as the barometer? Wouldn't Crysis be a better choice?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
MattAY
Posh B**tard


Joined: 02 Mar 2006
Posts: 12164

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear God, it's turned into a PC topic.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
madster111
The Original Pie Lover


Joined: 04 Jun 2006
Posts: 6265

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LinksOcarina wrote:
why are we using Skyrim as the barometer? Wouldn't Crysis be a better choice?

Because an un-modified skyrim looks like ass, while a modified skyrim can look better than Crysis.

Best example of console/PC differences, because after playing a modified pc copy you can tell bethesda just made the 360 version and did a couple shitty ports for the PC & PS3.
_________________
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abWqy3DOnuA

BarackObama,Putin,DavidCameron,XiJinpingAndseveralothers wrote:
Song of the year, every year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
WickedLiquid
In Limbo


Joined: 18 Mar 2009
Posts: 6572

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MattAY wrote:
Oh dear God, it's turned into a PC topic.


So let's get it the hell out of general.
_________________
Lethean wrote:
I'm just going to ban everyone for 24 hours.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Green_Lantern
Spacecataz


Joined: 06 Nov 2008
Posts: 5177

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WickedLiquid wrote:
MattAY wrote:
Oh dear God, it's turned into a PC topic.


So let's get it the hell out of general.




....

This thread is useless in PC.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?


Joined: 12 Feb 2012
Posts: 2018

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a bunch of grumpy goobers Laughing
_________________
“Yeah but when does EA come in when your trying for auto erotic asphyxiation and decide that you are really trying to commit suicide? Then they force you to do what they want.”
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
intoTheRain
Doesnt Like to Get Wet


Joined: 05 Jul 2006
Posts: 3500

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes wrote:
PC gamers: The fanboys of 2012


I mean hey I know you guys are passionate about this and if that's your thing then go for it. But not everyone is going to waste time improving the look of a game when you can just play it and enjoy it as it is. It's not like the original version is in Standard Definition or anything, right?

Now I can understand people buying HD remakes of older games because of the generation gap in graphics where everything was SD back then. People want the game to fit their TV instead of that old boxscreen look (which ironically was called Full screen).

So yeah, mod an older game that's standard def into HD and then I'll be impressed.



yea cause PC fanboys are any worse than PS3 and Xbox fanboys, lol.

PC fanboys are just older because they can afford good PCs. so maybe they seem a little more passionate because more work is put into setting up their machine. PS3 and Xbox fanboys are mostly 14, with a vocabulary of two words, fag and noob. just a different breed, but if I had to say one was worse than the other it would definitely not be PC fanboys. you can't read a topic with Madster in it and make a judgement on all of us.

as for the topic, yes it's pointless.

the only time it's relevant at all MAYBE is within the first 6 months of a console release, then PCs skyrocket out of reach again.

and i dont think there is anything wrong with appreciating good graphics. but i also still think WoW looks beautiful.
_________________
The above statement is true
The below statement is false
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ivory_Soul



Joined: 15 Nov 2005
Posts: 82

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

intoTheRain wrote:
Wes wrote:
PC gamers: The fanboys of 2012


I mean hey I know you guys are passionate about this and if that's your thing then go for it. But not everyone is going to waste time improving the look of a game when you can just play it and enjoy it as it is. It's not like the original version is in Standard Definition or anything, right?

Now I can understand people buying HD remakes of older games because of the generation gap in graphics where everything was SD back then. People want the game to fit their TV instead of that old boxscreen look (which ironically was called Full screen).

So yeah, mod an older game that's standard def into HD and then I'll be impressed.



yea cause PC fanboys are any worse than PS3 and Xbox fanboys, lol.

PC fanboys are just older because they can afford good PCs. so maybe they seem a little more passionate because more work is put into setting up their machine. PS3 and Xbox fanboys are mostly 14, with a vocabulary of two words, fag and noob. just a different breed, but if I had to say one was worse than the other it would definitely not be PC fanboys. you can't read a topic with Madster in it and make a judgement on all of us.

as for the topic, yes it's pointless.

the only time it's relevant at all MAYBE is within the first 6 months of a console release, then PCs skyrocket out of reach again.

and i dont think there is anything wrong with appreciating good graphics. but i also still think WoW looks beautiful.


If you think WoW looks beautiful I think you need glasses and need to break away from the mind controlling waves of that game. Everything else you say is true. I think PC fan boys have to be that way because console gamers don't really know their place. Sure most of them are under age brats because mommy and daddy won't buy them a $2,000 PC. Most PC gamers are over 18. That's part of the reason why PC fan boys are usually tolerated because they know what they are talking about. They know most of the technicalities in games when it comes to the graphics side.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
danielrbischoff



Joined: 13 Nov 2009
Posts: 8877

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate everything in this thread.
_________________
http://www.gamerevolution.com/review/watch-dogs
http://www.gamerevolution.com/manifesto/gr-strips-14-by-a-nose-25991
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
WickedLiquid
In Limbo


Joined: 18 Mar 2009
Posts: 6572

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be mad just because when you play Red Dead on PS3/360 it looks like this








And when I play it on PC it looks like this


_________________
Lethean wrote:
I'm just going to ban everyone for 24 hours.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
UghRochester
Fattest Jedi Around


Joined: 05 Jun 2006
Posts: 6879

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I realize now I'm fallen into a PC is better trap.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
madster111
The Original Pie Lover


Joined: 04 Jun 2006
Posts: 6265

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UghRochester wrote:
Yeah, I realize now I'm fallen into a PC is better trap.

I should take some screenshots of BF3 on the PC and make you feel bad.
_________________
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abWqy3DOnuA

BarackObama,Putin,DavidCameron,XiJinpingAndseveralothers wrote:
Song of the year, every year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> PC All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum