More Reviews
REVIEWS Firefall Review
Repetitive gameplay makes this fall a little boring.

The Walking Dead: Season Two Review
At this point, you’re not coming back for the zombies. Let’s get down to business.
More Previews
PREVIEWS Final Fantasy Type-0 Preview
Sitting down with producers behind this fan-demanded Final Fantasy game helped to put the franchise in perspective before fans play the game on PS4 and Xbox One.
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES Madden NFL 15
Release date: Out Now

Destiny
Release date: 09/09/14

Ar Nosurge: Ode to an Unborn Star
Release date: 09/23/14

FIFA 15
Release date: 09/23/14

LATEST FEATURES A Comprehensive Guide to Dealing with Controversy in the Video Game Industry
Need help wading through the latest misogyny/homophobia/racism/corruption debate in the gaming industry? Paul Tamburro’s here to help!

inFamous: First Light Battle Arena Hints, Strategies, Tips [Stream Over]
Watch as I build out our feature of useful tactics for players in Sucker Punch's wave-based and arcade-awesome arena mode.

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP samsmith614 Since game design is a business, I decided to see what's really selling well for the PS4. I did this search a week ago, and at the time, out of the top 20 bestsellers on Amazon 10 had not even been released yet. By now some have been released. But others still have not. And yet others...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Updating The Forums
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
danielrbischoff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Updating The Forums Reply with quote

Hi everyone!
So there are a handful of things that we'd like to do on the forums, many of which have gotten their own topics here in GRandmasters. I don't want to continue discussing those things. I want to bring up the possibility of updating the forum code so we can have fun with all sorts of new functionality.

This would be a concerted effort between the mods and admins here, as well as the tech team at GR, and well... all of you.

There is a very real chance (likelihood in all honesty) that everyone's accounts will be deleted. This might not be true, we honestly just don't know. Running this risk would mean we'd need all of you to reregister, remember your post counts, join dates, etc.... This isn't a huge deal. In fact, we could run an announcement thread for a month asking everyone who cares to check in.

I don't know.

What do you think? Would you stick it out with GR and the crew here on the forums if we update the code so we can do all sorts of new fun things?
De-Ting
Formerly Known as Prince

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all for this, but I just have one suggestion, for now. Keep the current forum intact. Lock everything, and put a link to it in the new forum Archives section. This way, everything is preserved, and you can even accurately restore everyone's post counts, details etc. if the switch does in fact require us to make new accounts.

o--(^-^)--o
UghRochester
Fattest Jedi Around

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar to what De-Ting said. If all the accounts are deleted, I would worry about returning "old skool" users. They wouldn't know their information that much. Also, there's some like Rainemaida that can only join the forums, because he has his account set to "Remember Me." So, if we did update everything and lost everything, he would be gone.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, screw it! Kill everything and start fresh. I'm tired of all y'all talking about your sexy relationships with GR and everyone being GR-older than me.

I don't really care. Just as long as this "functionality" is literal, by which I mean actually functional.
I sprinkle sand into the waters of night. The grains burn as they fall, reminding me of another in times long passed away. I watched him even then as he fell, his face undefeated, his eyes still proud.
Lethean
Big Fat Poo Head Who Ignores GR

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The forums kinda need to be brought out of the dark ages. I say do it. I'll gladly change users join dates and post counts....If they accurately record them and PM me.
used44

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for it.
NickKmet
I Eat Granola Bars

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. It might be nice to no longer have my real name in my username too. I've started to shy away from that. Too much effort to change that here now, though.
daylight savings time was introduced under a democratic congress. pretty clear that this is part of the liberal global warming farce, if we are extending daylight hours, of course temperatures will rise, THERES MORE DAYLIGHT!
MattAY
Posh B**tard

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...You just have to BELIEEEVE...
Freedom Runner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But we hate change.

Right?
maca2kx
The Hammer of Ban

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time the boards were updated Joeblow sent me a zip file with every user file containing join date, post count, signature and a bunch of other information so I could sort out details for returning posters on request.

As for changing now, I'm fine with it so long as you listen to what the posters want. Not much was changed between the old boards and the current ones but looking at the population of posters enthused enough by the colours you don't hear many saying they prefer white. Yes, it's a small thing but it does bother enough posters for it to it to be an issue for however many years it's been.

The forums have always been a place for a small community; the vast majority of visitors to the site, I'm assuming, don't come here so there doesn't seem to be much point in catering to the wants of the majority when it's the minority making use of the boards. Maybe it'd be worth making a topic in misc asking users what changes they want.
used44

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If black vs white is the main reason somebody wants to do this, then I'll kill myself.

Ooh ooh, make it gray!
Green_Lantern
Spacecataz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the plus side of a board revamp....We could have 4 or 5 different forum color palates! No more bitching!
used44

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm of the personal opinion that white on black looks incredibly dated. A palette swap option to appease the dummies would be acceptable though.
maca2kx
The Hammer of Ban

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

used44 wrote:
If black vs white is the main reason somebody wants to do this, then I'll kill myself.

Ooh ooh, make it gray!

I only use that example because it's the one which keeps cropping up and so it takes less effort for me to think about it. There are a whole host of tangible benefits to upgrading but I'm too busy playing Hitman to actually think of any.
used44

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of dated. I tried playing Blood Money the other day and I was having trouble deciphering all the odd functions and controls. Which are you playing?
maca2kx
The Hammer of Ban

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The very same. I do have the Sniper Challenge on my hard drive and I could improve my score on that but I'm giving it a break for a while. Blood Money came into the store last week so I figured I may as well pick it up to get ready for Absolution later this year.
used44

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent ten minutes in the tutorial struggling to throw that fucking coin.
maca2kx
The Hammer of Ban

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The coin mechanic makes no god damn sense but the only time I've used it is in the tutorial. I'm glad games have moved on but I don't think context sensitive buttons were much used before Hitman so as an early attempt it's ok. Plus I love executing perfect hits.
Rainemaida
Beatnik

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks @Ugh, what could you possibly need to add to the forums to go through the trouble of deleting all the accounts? We already went through this one time. We have polls, wtf else do we needs?

UghRochester wrote:
Is The Pirate Bay free? Anyways, I don't have cable. My internet service is Comcast.
danielrbischoff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this is not about white on black, but the palette choices would be a nice benefit. In regards to majority of users and minority that use the boards, the board folks are the ones eager for black background.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> GRandmasters All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: