More Reviews
REVIEWS God of War Collection (Vita) Review
God of War brings its PS2 heritage to Vita, and the results are more than a bit baffling.

Dark Souls II: Crown of the Sunk Review
I was confident in my Dark Souls abilities. Then From Software released new Dark Souls II DLC.
More Previews
PREVIEWS Pillars of Eternity Preview
For Obsidian's crowdfunded love letter to Infinity Engine games like Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate, I was impressed by its willingness to pull back the curtain and let me see the machinery behind it.
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES CounterSpy
Release date: 08/19/14

Tales of Xillia 2

Plants Vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare

MotoGP 14
Release date: 09/01/14

LATEST FEATURES Water, Water Everywhere: 15 of the Best Water Worlds in Gaming
Lots of water worlds suck, but not these ones, and they're completely Kevin Costner-free.

An Updating List of PlayStation 4 Updates We Want
Sony and Microsoft have been updating their consoles regularly, but we wanted to share our own ideas for updating the PS4 firmware.
MOST POPULAR FEATURES Picking Your Gender: 5 Industry Professionals Discuss Queer Identity in Gaming
Women from Naughty Dog, ArenaNet, Harmonix, and Gamespot unite to talk about what they want from games in terms of diversity.

Coming Soon

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP oneshotstop
Call of Duty will never be the same
By oneshotstop
Posted on 07/28/14
       We've all been there. Everyone remembers that mission. You and your partner are climbing up the mountains in the snow, striving to pull some slick clandestine operation about getting some intel on a bad guy, or something similar (because let's face...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
DayZ
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tylzen
The Knight of Denmark

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: DayZ Reply with quote

I am surprised there is not a topic about this fun mod for ARMA II.

I have been watching a lot of "Let's Play" videos of this mod, and this month I got it myself.
So far I have died 4 times today, but slowly getting a hang of it.

Trying to find water bottle and some matches, so that I am able to survive without having to scavenge for cans all the time.

Do we have any survivors on these boards?
cyberjim2000
Forum Bum

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played it with my friend. Once I got the hang of it, I survived for four days. You do live a lot longer with a friend watching your back or at least if you get killed by a bandit that your death won't go unavenged. Me and my friend even drove around in a bus together.
Noritama

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been playing it for awhile too. Stopped playing because I'm paranoid. <.<
we should all party up in a server one day. Massive GR Raiding party.
drathbone

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want this game just for this mod. Are there just open servers with hundreds of people playing? Can someone briefly explain the premise for the benefit of those who don't know.
Toddy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically survive in a zombie apocalypse. You start off with nothing and need to loot buildings or people for food/guns/medicine/supplies.

Each surver has a varing amount of human players, normally up to around 50, but your character is hosted on a central server, so which ever server you log on to you will start where you logged off from and death means you have to start all over again.
cyberjim2000
Forum Bum

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drathbone wrote:
I want this game just for this mod. Are there just open servers with hundreds of people playing? Can someone briefly explain the premise for the benefit of those who don't know.

Less people, the better, IMO. But the max I've seen is 64.
used44

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gah, that sounds amazing. What a beautiful concept.
danielrbischoff

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

used44 wrote:
Gah, that sounds amazing. What a beautiful concept.

Arma II seems like it was practically built FOR this mod at times.
Jonathan_Leack

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the gameplay good? Videos I've seen make it look clunky. The concept looks great, though.
cyberjim2000
Forum Bum

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, it's pretty decent. It's no fucking Call of Duty but it's decent. Like one time, me and a friend explored an airport for weapons and supplies. That when I encountered another player. We both had AKs and were looking at each other. I knew we both were hesitant at the time so we look at each other then I pulled my trigger and unloaded on the guy. I felt guilty afterwards but scored some sweet stuff off the guy.
Noritama

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonathan_Leack wrote:
Is the gameplay good? Videos I've seen make it look clunky. The concept looks great, though.

Really clunky the hit boxes are off and the animation for zombies is sketchy at best.

I would rate it 7/10 only because it's in it's alpha stage. If it was beta and still like this I'd go 4/10
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried it at my friends house(I dont have the money to buy the game and xpac) The gameplay is paranoid fun but the interface leaves more than just to be desired. It can be aweful and frustrating to use the inventory system.

I only had a chance to play for a hour(I died twice) so hopefully the mod int he future will improve. Has anyone check out The War Z? Its like a DayZ mmo
Noritama

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sourdeez wrote:
I tried it at my friends house(I dont have the money to buy the game and xpac) The gameplay is paranoid fun but the interface leaves more than just to be desired. It can be aweful and frustrating to use the inventory system.

I only had a chance to play for a hour(I died twice) so hopefully the mod int he future will improve. Has anyone check out The War Z? Its like a DayZ mmo

It's basically another company taking rockets idea and running with it .
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayz is turning into a standalone with a price scheme like minecraft! Im so willing to invest in it now.
Tylzen
The Knight of Denmark

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I just saw the announcement too it is going standalone very soon.

If you never tried the ARMA or Operation Flashpoint simulator style shooters, then you better get used to it through the tutorials before jumping onto any DayZ servers.

The learning curve is steep as fuck, but when you get over it, it is sooo much fun
Noritama

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sourdeez wrote:
Dayz is turning into a standalone with a price scheme like minecraft! Im so willing to invest in it now.

read about this awhile ago. If it isn't 10 to 15 dollars i'm not investing.
Tylzen
The Knight of Denmark

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got to together with two friends, first time I play together with others.

They had a boat, so they sailed all the way down the coast to pick me up.
Server time was 10:45 PM, so it was rather dark, as we were passing Kamyshovo, we noticed a flashlight.

But the engine to idle and looked in at Kamyshovo, we spotted two people running there, one seemed to be unarmed, the other with some sort of rifle.

We were not that well equipped ourselves.
I had no guns, and just a flashlight.
Friend 1 had a silenced assault rifle
Friend 2 a M1911.

I announced our presence on Direct Communication, but we got no response, and road flares were popped as we now saw they were three in total and had run into a large warehouse.

We decideded to take the chance, it could give us a lot of loot.
We went to shore at the small island just outside Kamyshovo making it harder for them to spot us.
I crawled to take the point and to cordinate the others.

Friend 1 was with me, while Friend 2 with his M1911 was sent to out flank them.
As Friend 1 was shooting at them in the warehouse, they started throwing out more flares and panicking inside the warehouse.
They closed one side of the warehouse, so that only one door was open.
At that time Friend 2 had sneaked all the way around and was next to the warehouse.

Friend 1 then says "Damn I should have given Friend 2 my frag grenade.."

"You got a frag grenade? I will see what I can do with that," I say as I open his alice backpack getting out the frag grenade.

I ready the grenade in my hand, as it is my only weapon.
I proceed to sneak around the village, so that they will not spot me from the warehouse, meanwhile Friend 1 is giving covering fire.
Due to his silenced weapon, it being night, and them throwing out road flares, they do not know where we are shooting from.

Without incident I successfully sneak all the way up to Friend 2's location, right next to the warehouse.

I slowly inch around the corner, I lean to and see one of them standing just at the doorway.

I take aim...

I throw...

It lands just infront of the open door, as I am running away from it.

*BOOM*

<Player killed>
two seconds later.
<Player killed>

My murder stats went up by two.

I shout Go go go to Friend 2 who is armed with M1911, him being slightly confused and thought I had botched the throw, realises it all went perfect.

Rushes into the warehouse, sees one guy left with a rifle, and Friend 2 quickly empties a full magazine into the poor guy left in the warehouse.

At this point I am litteraly shaking from adrenaline, we are cheering to eachother on Skype.

We go in to check out what they had, which we would loot.

Friend 2 goes for the first guy inside the warehouse that was killed by my blast.
He had a MP5a5 and a G17, which he claims as his own, including GPS, Compass, Map and loads of misc things.

I claim the guy with the rifle, only to realise it is a SVD Camo, also I got nightvision gear, gps, map and watch from him too.

I get a revolver from the third dead guy.

As Friend 2 and I were looting, Friend 1 says I am coming in...

I go outside with my new rifle to cover.
As I wait there for Friend 1, I see someone running towards me from the opposite direction of which Friend 2 and I had entered the building.

Fearing it may be a fourthguy from the group we had just taken out I fire at him, 3 shoots from the SVD and I get the message <Friend 1 was killed>.

The Skype conversation got all panicky and WTF!
I proclaim that I am sorry, I thought he would go the same route as Friend 2 and I.

I run towards his corpse, save his weapon and essential things.

Luckily he spawned just outside Kamyshovo.

We finished up looting, refueled our boat.
And sailed all the way home to our camp.
danielrbischoff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha, that is awesome. It makes me want to play the game, but that probably took... what? Like two hours of game time? I just don't have the time to dedicate to DayZ, though it sounds pretty fucking awesome.
cyberjim2000
Forum Bum

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you do need A LOT of time just to get to point A to point B. Pretty sure it took me and my friend a couple hours to get to the north part of the map.
Icepick
Professional Pocketpool Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been playing it religiously for a few days

Love the realism factor (minus the shit tastic inventory management) and the steep learning curve isn't so much steep as its a brick wall to climb

that's a double edged sword though, makes the game hard as hell, and the punishment for failure is severe, but even the smallest victory makes you feel so good

I crawled through a small village infested with zombies, found myself a double barrel shotgun and some sardines, sounds pretty weak but I felt like a god

made my way through a forrest into a larger town, looked like a airport or military complex and seen a corpse on the road, instead of playing smart and looking around, i fell for the bait, as soon as i went to loot him I took a bullet to the face from someone perched up on a building, 12 hours of methodical progression ended because of a 5 second mistake due to eagerness

right back to working my way off the coast with nothing but a flashlight Sad

and my fucking god does playing at night change the tone, it goes from eerie to "OMG WTF WAS THAT NOISE, RUN RUN RUN"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> PC All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: