More Reviews
REVIEWS Dark Souls II: Crown of the Sunk Review
I was confident in my Dark Souls abilities. Then From Software released new Dark Souls II DLC.

The Swapper Review
One of 2013's best indie games swaps its way to Sony platforms.
More Previews
PREVIEWS Pillars of Eternity Preview
For Obsidian's crowdfunded love letter to Infinity Engine games like Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate, I was impressed by its willingness to pull back the curtain and let me see the machinery behind it.
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES CounterSpy
Release date: 08/19/14

Tales of Xillia 2

Plants Vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare

Madden NFL 15
Release date: 08/26/14

LATEST FEATURES Interview: Forging the Rings of Power in Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor
Tolkien fans may now either squeal with glee at getting to play interactive fanfiction... or condemn it to the watery grave of Numenor.

How Bioware Creates Romances
Bioware's games have romances where you might save the world, on the side of course.
MOST POPULAR FEATURES Picking Your Gender: 5 Industry Professionals Discuss Queer Identity in Gaming
Women from Naughty Dog, ArenaNet, Harmonix, and Gamespot unite to talk about what they want from games in terms of diversity.

Coming Soon

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP Kakulukia
Why Sunset Overdrive Can Go Suck A Lemon
By Kakulukia
Posted on 07/14/14
Yesterday, while cleaning up my media center, I found my copy of Ratchet & Clank: Into The Nexus, which I bought sometime before Christmas last year. I had been pretty excited about this game pre-release, what with it being the first "traditional", albeit shorter than usual,...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Planning to build a PC when taxes come.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
THEundying27

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Planning to build a PC when taxes come. Reply with quote

I know there are other PC threads but it seems like they are outdated and haven't been looked at in a while. Plus I can really use the help as soon as possible. This is what I have for my first build........be gentle. Smile When I chose these parts I tried to pick a happen medium based of brands, price, and customer reviews/satisfaction.

-Western Digital WD Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
-EVGA SuperClocked 02G-P4-3662-KR GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
-CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC ...
-CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9
-ASUS P8Z77-V LK LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
-Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I53570K

Hope this helps. I just copied and pasted these so forgive me for putting the entire part number. Any tips or suggestions are welcome.
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks good but I would suggest going ahead and trying to get a 670 gtx.
THEundying27

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sourdeez wrote:
It looks good but I would suggest going ahead and trying to get a 670 gtx.

I'm not gonna pretend to know everything about choosing a graphics card so if I sound dumb forgive me. I'm looking at the specs for the 670 and the 660 Ti and this is what I see:

-EVGA 02G-P4-2676-KR GeForce GTX 670 FTW LE 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
Core Clock: 941MHz
Boost Clock: 1019MHz
CUDA Cores: 1344

-EVGA 03G-P4-3668-KR GeForce GTX 660 Ti FTW+ 3GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
Core Clock: 1046MHz
Boost Clock: 1124MHz

-EVGA SuperClocked+ 03G-P4-3663-KR GeForce GTX 660 Ti 3GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
Core Clock: 980MHz
Boost Clock: 1059MHz

Isn't higher core clock frequency better or does that just mean that the 670 is more efficient and uses less juice. And also the 660 Ti has 3GB and the 670 has 2GB. Again isn't more better? Also can you explain FTW means in the 660. Hopefully its not "For the Win". lol
The confusing part is there are so many iterations of the 660 and 670 and the specs pretty much look the same to me. The only obvious thing that's different is the price so there must be something different about each of them.
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your forgetting to look at memory bandwidth.

670 gtx, 256-bit

660 ti 192-bit

the core clock and boost clocks are just what the factory use. The program "evga precision x" will allow you to set the clock speed and boost range yourself and you will find you will probably be able to reach close to the same speeds clock wise.

Its a big price jump though. Its debatable if its worth the price but I still suggest to my friends if your going to try to make your system a bit more future proof its not a bad idea to jump up.

I enjoy working with anyone on these forums answering there questions and if you have any more or would like to see benchmark diagrams of the two cards against eachother feel free to contact me at any time Smile
LawnGnome

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FTW does indeed mean "For The Win". It's just the label EVGA gives their slight overclock editions.

Sourdeez is absolutely correct about the memory bandwidth difference. 670 vs. 660ti isn't even debatable to me. I wouldn't recommend anyone get anything below 256-bit if they can help it. Even though I much prefer Nvidia, I would get a HD 7870 before I got a 660ti.

The reason some people go with the 660ti is because it is only 20-25% less powerful than the 670 on most current games, but that number is going to increase very quickly as newer games on new platforms come out (Unreal 4). A couple years ago 192-bit would have been fine, but definitely not now. You'd be setting yourself up for a big disappointment next year.

Oh, and even though they don't really factor largely into game performance you should try to fit an extra $100 or so into your budget to get a 120GB SSD. They're wonderful and will add a lot to your computing experience. It will definitely make your PC feel "newer" and "faster" too.
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the SSD suggestion. You can get a good ssd for as cheap as only $100 now. Keep your OS and whatever you main games you are playing on it.

I run two Sata3 ssds in Raid 0.
THEundying27

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sourdeez wrote:
I agree with the SSD suggestion. You can get a good ssd for as cheap as only $100 now. Keep your OS and whatever you main games you are playing on it.

I run two Sata3 ssds in Raid 0.

Isnt that what the HDD is for?
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my HDD for everything but my OS and the games im playing. Load times are unbelievably faster in games and you never get any texture pop in or other issue from games that try to stream textures into their engine. It wont technically give you a higher frames per second but you will definitely notice the difference.

Windows 8 for me has a 8 second boot time and 6 second shutdown time for me as well.
THEundying27

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sourdeez wrote:
I use my HDD for everything but my OS and the games im playing. Load times are unbelievably faster in games and you never get any texture pop in or other issue from games that try to stream textures into their engine. It wont technically give you a higher frames per second but you will definitely notice the difference.

Windows 8 for me has a 8 second boot time and 6 second shutdown time for me as well.

Ill keep that in mind. For the HDD, does the RPM really matter? The cheaper models are mostly 7200rpm?
madster111
The Original Pie Lover

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HDD speed does make a difference, but it's not huge. The one you have is fine - non-green western digital on SATA3.

If you don't need CUDA and/or don't care about PhysX you'd probably be better off with an AMD HD7850, unless you have the money to go GTX 670.

Other than that, i don't see any problems. What case are you getting?
If you're planning to overclock the 3570, it's a good idea to get a cheap aftermarket cooler at the same time. The intel one is only good up to about 4.2ghz before things get too hot.

BarackObama,Putin,DavidCameron,XiJinpingAndseveralothers wrote:
Song of the year, every year.
Green_Lantern
Spacecataz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go big or go home is what I say....

EVGA GTX 680 FTW in four way SLI
THEundying27

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madster111 wrote:
HDD speed does make a difference, but it's not huge. The one you have is fine - non-green western digital on SATA3.

If you don't need CUDA and/or don't care about PhysX you'd probably be better off with an AMD HD7850, unless you have the money to go GTX 670.

Other than that, i don't see any problems. What case are you getting?
If you're planning to overclock the 3570, it's a good idea to get a cheap aftermarket cooler at the same time. The intel one is only good up to about 4.2ghz before things get too hot.

Again, I'm no expert at this and I'm still trying to learn the terminology. Care to break down what CUDA(Compute Unified Device Architecture) is? I see this:

Example of CUDA processing flow
1. Copy data from main mem to GPU mem
2. CPU instructs the process to GPU
3. GPU execute parallel in each core
4. Copy the result from GPU mem to main mem

It's only a 60 dollar difference between the 660Ti and the 670(359.99 after rebate)
670 FTW LE- 349.99 after rebate
670 FTW- 389.99 after rebate
670 Superclocked with backplate+4GB- 449.99
+ all these come with two free games valued at 49.99 a piece(AC3 and Borderlands2) so its already a steal getting the 670.

This next question is up for grabs: Can someone tell me the difference between the FTW LE and FTW. $40 difference so its gotta be something important, right?

Green_Lantern wrote:
Go big or go home is what I say....

EVGA GTX 680 FTW in four way SLI

Whats four way SLI?
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your going to be playing Borderlands 2 it is definitely worth it to get the 670. The nvida physx in it really is worth it.

Four way sli is using 4 video cards together. Not to many motherboards can even support it. I run a gigabyte G1.Sniper 3 that does support it but I only run two 680 gtx in sli. Sli doesnt work well in every game but when It does it usually works well for me. Using a 1080p monitor at 60hz you shouldn't have to worry about sli for over a year.

Last edited by Sourdeez on Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
THEundying27

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sourdeez wrote:
If your going to be playing Borderlands 2 it is definitely worth it to get the 670. The nvida physx in it really is worth it.

Isn't PhysX only in 680 model?
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No physx is with any 400, 500 and 600 series cards. Its a nvidia only feature. You can try to force it in borderlands 2 with a ati card but it will result in massive drops in frames per second. Borderlands 2 is definitely enhanced a lot by Physx. Im originally a borderlands 1 hater becuase its mostly garbage but the second game has earned its title and the enhancements through physx make it way worth it to play with a nvidia card.

:edit: just to be correct physx is on all GeForce 8-series, 9-series, 100-series, 200-series, 300-series, 400-series, 500-series, and 600-series GPUs with a minimum of 256MB dedicated graphics memory.
THEundying27

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sourdeez wrote:
No physx is with any 500 and 600 series cards. Its a nvidia only feature. You can try to force it in borderlands 2 with a ati card but it will result in massive drops in frames per second.

Got it! Definitely a lot to consider now with all this new insight you guys have given me today. I also would like to give myself room in case I want to upgrade in the future.

Someone earlier asked me what case am I putting this in. Again, I'm going off of price, reviews, and customer satisfaction so I'm not 100% sure if this is a good one.
Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case.

What if I wanted to play on a 51 inch tv? Would I have to get a 2nd graphics card for that? What route do I take in terms of hardware to make that happen?
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope your 51 inch tv will still be running 1080p over hdmi. A 670 will be perfect for it.

Should be a blast Very Happy
THEundying27

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sourdeez wrote:
Nope your 51 inch tv will still be running 1080p over hdmi. A 670 will be perfect for it.

Should be a blast Very Happy

Excellent. I looked up the board you said you have. Looks pretty nice. Is that something you get to future proof your PC? Seems like it. What type of CPU are you running in that thing?
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I got this motherboard was because it has a plx chip that allows for full x16 speeds on both pci express gen3 slots. It doesnt make up toa huge benefit in the end but it does leave me the option to buy another 680 or two in the future. The reason I really need sli is because with a 120hz monitor I can see additional smoothness between 60-120fps and it takes alot of power to push dx11 games at 120fps. Your tv input should be only 60hz which is completely fine and will work awesome with your new system.

CPU:Intel 3770k
RAM: 16GB G.SKILL Tridant X DDR3 2666
Motherboard: GIGABYTE G1.Sniper 3
GPU: Zoatac 680 GTX Sli
PSU: XFX 1000w
CPU cooling: CORSAIR H80 (CWCH80) High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
HDs: WD Black 500gb, Raid 0 corsair 60gb ssds
Case: Not sure, got it for free with a order.
Keyboard: Logitch G15, cyber snipa gamepad
Controller: Xbox360 usb controller.
Mouse: Razer wireless 4g dual sensor Mama 2012
Mousepad: Razer Goliath Speed
Speakers: Phillips FW-C677 with built in usb soundcard.
Headset: Razer Tiamat 7.1: Elite 7.1 Surround Sound Gaming Headset
Monitors: SAMSUNG S23A750D 23" 120hz LED.

THEundying27

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a nice rig! I've seen that case before. It's called Raidmax Tornado, looks bad ass. The tv that I have is a plasma, so I believe the refresh rate is higher than 60hz.
Is there a huge difference between the i5-3570K
and your 3770K?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> PC All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: