More Reviews
REVIEWS Wayward Manor Review
Not even the power of Neil Gaiman and The Odd Gentlemen could save this game from a fate worse than death: a terrible score.

ONE PIECE Unlimited World Red Review
"Unlimited World Red"? More like "Sorta Limited Town and Extended Areas... Red. And Blue. And Some Yellow."
More Previews
PREVIEWS Kirby and the Rainbow Curse Preview
Abandoning paint for clay, Nintendo gets crafty with Kirby once more.
Release Dates
NEW RELEASES Sacred 3
Release date: 08/05/14

Hohokum
Release date: 08/12/14

Tales of Xillia 2
Release date: 08/19/14

Plants Vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare
Release date: 08/19/14

LATEST FEATURES We Absolutely Should Be Upset With Club Nintendo's Latest Elite Rewards
Surveys out the wazoo and I get a code for Dr. Luigi?

Gaming For Good: Charity for the Win
Playing video games for charity is becoming easier everyday. Livestream, join a fundraising guild, or game at your own pace. There are many different ways gamers can contribute to numerous charitable causes.
MOST POPULAR FEATURES Picking Your Gender: 5 Industry Professionals Discuss Queer Identity in Gaming
Women from Naughty Dog, ArenaNet, Harmonix, and Gamespot unite to talk about what they want from games in terms of diversity.

Coming Soon

LEADERBOARD
Read More Member Blogs
FEATURED VOXPOP Kakulukia
Why Sunset Overdrive Can Go Suck A Lemon
By Kakulukia
Posted on 07/14/14
Yesterday, while cleaning up my media center, I found my copy of Ratchet & Clank: Into The Nexus, which I bought sometime before Christmas last year. I had been pretty excited about this game pre-release, what with it being the first "traditional", albeit shorter than usual,...

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   SmartFeedSmartFeed   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
TV resolution and gaming question...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> General Gaming Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drathbone

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: TV resolution and gaming question... Reply with quote

I realized my roommates 720p 32" TV looks better than my 46" 1080p playing games. Is this a matter of quality of TV or the same concept as SNES games looking better on an old tube TV than they do on HDTVs (IE 480 game made for 480 tv looks fine vs being stretched to 1080 tv) - since most games are made 720 and upconverted by an HDMI cable.

If that makes any sense. Thinking of downgrading my TV just to have my games look as smooth as my roommates.Thoughts?
Ivory_Soul

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is usually only an issue on the 360 because the PS3 is the only console that displays true 1080p. You will notice a difference between the 2. The original Xbox 360 didn't even have an HDMI port and was never intented for true 1080p display. You could try just changing the console resolution to 720p, not sure if that works. I wouldn't downgrade though. Just keep the one you have and maybe buy a 720p display because the next-generation of consoles will all be true 1080p for sure.
De-Ting
Formerly Known as Prince

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you turn the TV off and on again?

o--(^-^)--o
drathbone

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes....not sheriff cereal.
LawnGnome

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be a difference in refresh rates &/or an LCD vs. Plasma thing. If I knew the full specs of both TVs I could give you a better idea, but I doubt it's simply a size/resolution issue.
madster111
The Original Pie Lover

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be a ton of things, from the displays being different tech (plasma vs LCD) to them being different quality.

In general, though, smaller displays look better (ppi) and because the 360 and PS3 both upconvert games, on the 1080p TV the image is being stretched while on the 720 it's running native or closer to it (some 360 games run a pathetic 1024x576 - stretch that to 1920x1080 and you get all sorts of ugly).
Don't bother changing your TV - the current gen of consoles has lasted about 2 years longer than it should have. Just wait for the next generation of consoles or buy a $500 PC and play all the 360 ports at a proper 1920x1080 and enjoy the superior graphics and nude mods.

BarackObama,Putin,DavidCameron,XiJinpingAndseveralothers wrote:
Song of the year, every year.
Ivory_Soul

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madster111 wrote:
Could be a ton of things, from the displays being different tech (plasma vs LCD) to them being different quality.

In general, though, smaller displays look better (ppi) and because the 360 and PS3 both upconvert games, on the 1080p TV the image is being stretched while on the 720 it's running native or closer to it (some 360 games run a pathetic 1024x576 - stretch that to 1920x1080 and you get all sorts of ugly).
Don't bother changing your TV - the current gen of consoles has lasted about 2 years longer than it should have. Just wait for the next generation of consoles or buy a $500 PC and play all the 360 ports at a proper 1920x1080 and enjoy the superior graphics and nude mods.

The PS3 actually doesn't upscale. It is the only console that displays true 1080p. I have both 360 and PS3 hooked up to my plasma and I notice the PS3 looks consistently sharper and more clear.
Sourdeez
Does it use DX12?!?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It definitely doesn't for most games on the ps3 or xbox360 for that matter. A lot of them are only upscaled.
drathbone

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ is what I thought because typically games are made in 720p, thus making me think that my roommates TV is sharper since it's the native resolution and not upscaled.
Rainemaida
Beatnik

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least you have a big screen, I have a 21.5" 1080p monitor :/ AND I use it as the main screen in the living room.

UghRochester wrote:
Is The Pirate Bay free? Anyways, I don't have cable. My internet service is Comcast.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Game Revolution Forum Index -> General Gaming Topics All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: